Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Patch 3.56 Preview Plus: Naoki Yoshida on Stormblood, Tanking - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Patch 3.56 Preview Plus: Naoki Yoshida on Stormblood, Tanking - MMORPG.com

Patch 3.56 is almost here — and so the end of Heavensward is in sight. The patch, which will go live on Tuesday March 28, brings the 3.0 main scenario to a close.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    My SAM needs the circle Hat.
  • SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    My SAM needs AF3, I don't want to look like Yojimbo...
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I've tanked in just about every MMO you can think of, but hate it in FFXIV. It is the most awful, unrewarding, unresponsive experience in the history of AAA MMORPG gaming.

Joined - July 2004

• darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    @RemyVorender Only thing I hated was learning 30 skills. That made it so when I played a alt I had hard time going back to my main.
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78

I've tanked in just about every MMO you can think of, but hate it in FFXIV. It is the most awful, unrewarding, unresponsive experience in the history of AAA MMORPG gaming.

This is exactly me, born to tank and do it in every game I play, but this game is so nauseating to tank,
    and this interview does not spell any changes to that, just throw more shineys at them for incentives.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    I almost exclusively tank in this game. It's the only role I find interesting, basically try to maximize your dps, while staying alive from mechanics and tank busters. So I'm glad to see even more incentives!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Mowzer said:

This is exactly me, born to tank and do it in every game I play, but this game is so nauseating to tank,
    and this interview does not spell any changes to that, just throw more shineys at them for incentives.
    The game is gonna follow the same formula like 3.x series until 4.2 supposedly. But they said Diadem would be this great thing and look how that turned out. Eureka will pretty much be Diadem 2.0 by the way they discribe it, just with an actual purpose since it'll be tied to the relic.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Mowzer said:

For me it's the opposite. It's one of the few games where you actually have to tank rather than just do a single AoE and suddenly you have an indefinite amount of threat. Marking mobs (especially with paladin pre-50) is always useful. Knowing your limits with each dungeon with how much you can pull, knowing the dungeons inside and out, knowing the classes you're with inside and out (especially those with positional requirements so you don't ruin your group DPS)... etc.

Not to mention just getting a feel for it as a whole -- your threat rotations, your resource rotations, your DPS rotations and your typical mitigation skills in conjunction with the above, the environment, enemy mechanics and so on. Anticipating when mobs or bosses with do something so you aren't locked out of a stun, knowing your team's class and what they will typically do in situations so as to not use a DPS rotation when you need a threat rotation (essentially leaving anyone that takes aggro at the mercy of a mob for 7 seconds, especially if you aren't a paladin or have cross class taunts -- or that taunt may be on cooldown).

Switching to individual targets, spreading threat combos to every mob, watching threat meters & resources (and which mob needs what attack to maximize threat or damage) when you switch to each individual one to see if a DPS is focusing on one too much... Honestly, this isn't even touching the surface of it all. When you get it down, it's super easy and you don't think much about it (as with most things you get used to). Though parts of it remind me of Vanilla Warrior tanking with switching targets, stacking sunders, etc. and attacking each mob individually to maintain threat (unless you mark and DPS follow).

Stance dancing is also there in full force with Warrior and Dark Knight -- with, I'd say, warrior taking the cake with frantic attacks and switching around... knowing when it's best to be in attacking stance or threat stance. The different rotations and abilities that follow, as well as what special attacks to use with their respected and individual stacks based on the stances.

It's widely multi-faceted, and can get a bit stressful as a whole. But I've grown to love it over just charging in, laying down an AoE and laying back while the DPS burst it down. Maybe spamming a single active mitigation talent that I can keep up at near 100% with a lot of haste.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I like the game play and the visuals of this game, but there is no way I can stretch myself thinner as it is. Still playing ESO from beta till now with a break because of financial reasons. Skyrim SE looks great on my 4K tv, and then there is the Battlefield series. Cannot justify more money going out to the wife on games.............:( If it ever goes BTP though, I am so there.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    climbing and swimming in 4.0 :o

About tanking and healing , i enjoy tanking in casual mode , dungeons and whatnot (only tanked some trials my main is DPS) , but is fun , a bit stresfull as PLD not so bad as Drk or WAR since they have better aoe threath tools , hoping for PLD to get another AoE (maybe a shockwave of light or something )

Healing is relaxing , but i enjoy it more on some encounters than others, my main alt is SCH :D

Hoping the Job interfaces coming are cool and make healing and tanking even more fun.