Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF XIV Questions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks, couple of questions:

1)  I remember hearing that buying and subscribing to this game could be a confusing endeavor.  Maybe multiple websites involved, or something?  Is this still the case?

2)  I suck at moving and attacking at the same time.  Is there a combat class that is mostly stationary and has a pretty simple rotation?  I like to DPS, no tanking or healing these days.

3)  Is it too late to catch up to the high level players?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    1) hmm, I have only dealt with Square Enix so far. Doubt if that's the case.

2) you can build turret classes. You don't have to cast while moving. You have to avoid fire.

3) never. :) only problem you would be having is some long queues (sometimes up to 1 hour) for story quests in dungeons. But while waiting you can do other quests or grind another job/profession. 

If you can see yourself enjoying the IP, based on your previous posts, I think you would enjoy this game. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Square does run a confusing registration process but has changed over the years.

I have not had to do it in a few years now but i am certain it is the same.

You have to register an account with Square Enix,then you have to register your game components with the specific game.
    It used to be real bad with FFXI,so bad that even having done it several times was still painful.
    As to the catch up question...

IDK if they made things easier or not,otherwise i would say you have a long journey.
    Thing is this,unlike FXI that was pretty much solo until level 11 then all grouping,in FFXIV you can solo almost everything except the main story asks for Boss fights in dungeons.It has been awhile but i remember only a few of those must have boss fights,like maybe 5/6 in total until you hit level 50.
    Then t 50 i quit lol,i am not into instance grind repeating in a some small ring,i prefer open world content.
    Plus the game although a really nice game does something i detest in gaming>>>>Item level grinding.Forced gear to be able to advance to the next set of item level grinding over and over...NO THANKS.
    That is why i would still play ffxi over this game in a heartbeat,although ffxi end game is the exact same thing,,,ilevel grinding.I have not had the desire to return to ffxiv since leaving but i did play an hour of FFXI last night matter of fact after a a little over a year away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited March 2017

1)  I remember hearing that buying and subscribing to this game could be a confusing endeavor.  Maybe multiple websites involved, or something?  Is this still the case?

2)  I suck at moving and attacking at the same time.  Is there a combat class that is mostly stationary and has a pretty simple rotation?  I like to DPS, no tanking or healing these days.

Thanks for any info!
    1- Nah is kinda easy , it was FFXI the game that was a pain in the rear to register , FFXIV is like wow or anyother game

2- almost all the bosses have areas u need to avoid , and mechanics , maybe try smn is ranged and the most mobile class , Machinist 2nd , blm being the class that need to stay still the most ,simple rotation is hard to say , all the classes have a rigid rotation (that varies from procs and what not but no class is "hard" imo )

3- there is a expansion coming in June , so now is the perfect time to play it and catch up , u will be on par with everyone when Stormblood goes live , they are adding QOL changes and specific Job interface (to make more easy track buffs, debuffs and procs )

yw!
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    3) never. :) only problem you would be having is some long queues (sometimes up to 1 hour) for story quests in dungeons. But while waiting you can do other quests or grind another job/profession. 

btw if its your first time doing that dungeon or u are doing it for Story purpuses you are put 1 on the line....so even as dps u wont have long queues.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Warlyx said:

btw if its your first time doing that dungeon or u are doing it for Story purpuses you are put 1 on the line....so even as dps u wont have long queues.
    They put you first in line if it's your first time, that is a welcome thing truly is, I'm glad they are doing that 
    Chamber of Chains
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Wife and I are playing XIV again and enjoying it. We actually duo ed a lot of the story dungeons as we levelled past some of them doing palace of the dead and was high enough to do so. The dungeons for the story are rather easy.

Also, the mentor system helps with people that have opened up the ability to be a mentor through achievements etc can que and are usually a lot more helpful then some random people.

• EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited March 2017

Thanks for any info!

You have to use the MogStation to manage your account, you can find it in the FFXIV site (Lodestone). It's pretty simple really. If you buy via Steam you will get a code and you will need to apply it in the Mogstation anyway. Some players don't like to buy via Steam because you will have to buy all future expansions there, but that's the only difference or "problem". I personally have been using Steam for a long time and it's super convenient for me because I can pay for game time and other little things with Steam Wallet.

I think Black Mage/Bard/Machinist and perhaps Red Mage (after Stormblood launch) are good choices. Rotations right now can be a bit hard for a lot of players (it's considered way harder than WoW's in most cases, just for a comparison). But it's hard to say because we'll see a lot of changes in rotations with Stormblood, their intention is to make things a little bit easier for unexperienced players. Keep in mind that I'm talking about endgame. Early game will be super easy because the Global Cooldown is long.

No, it's super easy to catch up in terms of levels and gear in this game, specially now. There is easy options available to get high level gear so everyone can be ready for Stormblood. FFXIV's subreddit is a good place to learn about the game, the daily question thread usually have 400+ posts, so you will learn a lot just by reading through.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys!  Exactly how hard are the PvE rotations?  I admit, I'm used to the simplicity of WoW.  FF's global cooldown may be a saving grace for a slow old man like me, though...
  • blackgoatblackgoat Member UncommonPosts: 17

There s nothing complex bout FF XIV so called rotations... FF xiv is a very generic and easy game masked but lots of content to do , awesome story and graphics.

I have no ideia how WOW is nowadays since u are using WOW as exemple..but "rotation" in wow vanilla is much more complex than anything in FF XIV.... Lots of players from FF xiv have no MMORPG past so maybe thats why it was created that rotation myth i believe.. coz its realy very simple compared to other games...

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2017
    blackgoat said:

There s nothing complex bout FF XIV so called rotations... FF xiv is a very generic and easy game masked but lots of content to do , awesome story and graphics.

I have no ideia how WOW is nowadays since u are using WOW as exemple..but "rotation" in wow vanilla is much more complex than anything in FF XIV.... Lots of players from FF xiv have no MMORPG past so maybe thats why it was created that rotation myth i believe.. coz its realy very simple compared to other games...

This greatly varies from job to job (class) though. For example, monk will have a more complex rotation (if you care about maximizing your damage) than say a smn or brd. Some skills you want to use before others to maximize how much damage other things in your rotation do, like back to monk, you'll want to keep your blunt resistance down buff on the mob before your dots as well as your attack buffs, while also executing skills in certain positions on the mob. In contrast, smn just has to keep dots up for the most part. If you want to get more complex than that (which most smns do) then you manually execute certain pet commands, like garuda's dot extension ability. Its really just trial and error and honestly, you wont know if you like a few jobs until they are 60 because stuff like BRD/MCH/BLM greatly change as they level and get certain skills.
    edited March 2017

the monk rotation you are using as example ( which i agree is one of the most complex in game ) is still very simplistic near what we used to have in other games....

those kind of rotation was the battle foundation of any decent mmorpg... too bad it was removed in general and when a game introduce it .. its seen as "complex" . And that because before we didnt have a GLOWING sign telling u "combos" to active. The game is even telling you which button to press.... Chose that combo to this, choose that combo for that.

FF xiv will never shine for its battle imo... its totally other reasons why this game is cool. If you are used to play WOW as example, you realy dont need to worry bout ur skills or lack of it on  ff xiv battles ....

the only pressure u have on FF XIV battle if you are new is to be able deal with annoying players that came from games like DOTA and D3 that cant respect other people play style....

as example u see in FF xiv forums a lot of TOPICS complaining bout HEALERS that don't DPS and sometimes the opposite... HEALERS that dps.. lol. .its a big mess of kids..

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    blackgoat said:

the monk rotation you are using as example ( which i agree is one of the most complex in game ) is still very simplistic near what we used to have in other games....

those kind of rotation was the battle foundation of any decent mmorpg... too bad it was removed in general and when a game introduce it .. its seen as "complex" . And that because before we didnt have a GLOWING sign telling u "combos" to active. The game is even telling you which button to press.... Chose that combo to this, choose that combo for that.

FF xiv will never shine for its battle imo... its totally other reasons why this game is cool. If you are used to play WOW as example, you realy dont need to worry bout ur skills or lack of it on  ff xiv battles ....

Very good point that battle system is definitely not one of its strong points, which is even more noticeable if you pvp in XIV. What's even more said is that recently in an interview with twinfinite, Yoshida mentioned that certain systems in the game (mainly stats/gear) will be further simplified because a majority of the player base doesn't even meld or care about the gear they get as long as its higher ilvl. I guess it was a response to them implementing the ilvl280 weapons into diadem even though people can get weapons with superior secondaries since the diadem weapon secondaries are compelete rng. Heck, some people will use the ilvl 265 gear that may have 1 secondary stat on it due to rng over the 250 creator gear.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    1) Use to be, game is easy to register for. No more difficult then any other Modern AAA mmo. The whole sub process and cash shop is handled through mog station basically.

2) All classes are simple rotations in FFXIV. Some are more complex with positionals but It is basically boils down to 1 => 2 => 3 => 1 => 2 => 4 => repeat for 9-10mins with some buffs thrown inbetween, also note they are simplifying it even more in the next expansion. You can master a classes rotation in a few hours tops. As for not moving, all the major bosses at endgame have 1 shot mechanic after 1 shot mechanic that you have to dodge. All bosses also have rage mechanics which instawipe the raid if dps is too low. So you have maintain your max dps rotation while moving or everyone dies basically. All extreme primals/high tier raids utilize these 2 mechanics.

Compaired to WoW and some other AAA mmos, rotations in FFXIV are a joke to master. You will learn fast though once you get to higher levels who is clueless on the rotation because their parses will be 30-40% lower then they should be. I suggest you watch a few videos of people parsing high and copy the rotation. Every fight will use that exact rotation basically.

3) The game is designed so new players never fall behind. Every expansion all players are reset to basically 0. Top tier gear from expansion 1 becomes entree level quest gear from expansion 2 basically. Each major patch nerfs the hell out of older content before it so new players can easily catch up. So no it is extremely easy to catch up in ffxiv... but this is also a major negative if you are looking for longterm achievements and content, outside vanity gear they simply do not exist.
  • RS-ManRS-Man Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Only reason i don't play FFXIV is the no voice acting, don't like the text reading and the game scene gestures with no voice acting, other than that i really like the crafting system

=/= Better be defeated for a triumph than not to triumph by fear of failure! =\=

AsRock x370 Taichi AM4 Promontory
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz 1.33v
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 - Temps: ~28-32 idle ~45-60 load
    G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    MSI GamingX GTX 1070
    CoolerMaster 850Watts PowerSupply

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited March 2017
    1) The 'main' FFXIV site is the Lodestone (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/) while the main account management is through Mogstation (link on Lodestone page). You also need a seperate account for the forums (this isn't required unless you want to use the forums though)... so yeah, not as nice as it could be, but day to day it's no more hassle than any other MMO.

2) In that case I would suggest one of the ranged classes. Black Mage (from Thaumaturge) is by far the least mobile with the least number of buttons to regularly press (i.e. long cast times with high damage per hit). That said, to play Black Mage well (at higher levels at least) you will need to learn various fight mechanics in order to minimise movement, so the imobility does come at that cost. Also, no matter what class you play, you are going to have to move a fair bit in some fights.

3) Not really. You'll have a lot of main story quests to get through, but once you're done with that (you can do everything on a single class, so unlike most MMOs you only ever have to do quests once) and hit level cap (currently 60), getting up to a reasonable gear level isn't too hard.

As for how hard the PvE rotations are... it depends on the class (tip: don't play Lancer / Dragoon). As I mentioned, Black Mage has the least number of buttons to reglarly press, but dropping your main buff (at level 60) is very punishing (they are looking at changing this in the expansion though), so it can be a very challenging class to play in certain fights.

On the other hand there is something like Bard (from Archer), which has a lot more buttons to regularly press (and a lot of them off global cooldown, so the pace can be fairly high), but they don't really have any mechanics or combos to 'keep up', so doing decent DPS is fairly easy... Bard is probably harder to master overall though, as all the buttons can be hard to keep track of.

In any case, as I mentioned, you can play all classes on a single character, so if you aren't digging one, you can always change to another without having to completely start over. Edit: Also, once you unlock it, Palace of the Dead can be a good way to sample what various classes / jobs will play like at level cap without having to fully level them in the normal world.

Edit 2: Another thing worth mentioning is that if you are at all comfortable with an Xbox or Playstation 3/4 controller (which FFXIV has native support for), then playing with a controller can be significatly easier than a KB and Mouse, especially if you have trouble reaching further away keys (6-0, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc.) on a keyboard (and / or don't have an MMO mouse).
    Post edited by acidblood on
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    edited March 2017
    Beware that the people saying FF14 DPS rotations are easy or that Vanilla WoW had more complex rotations are straight up lying.

Classes like Monk and Ninja have very complex rotations for optimal DPS.

For example heres what a Ninja rotation would look like

1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 4, 1, 3, 2, 4, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 2, 4 repeat

And this doesnt include timed buffs

This is why they are simplifying the combat system a bit in the upcoming expansion.
    Right on, thanks for all the info!  I think I can handle it.

Is there plenty to do in-game without doing endgame raiding?  Or is that the whole focus?  I haven't raided in any game for years.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Thanks for any info!
    Word of warning, I went back last expansion with my max level toon and found I had to grind through 100 quests just to get to the new content. That was at level 50. Hope you like FF or you may hit a wall of boredom. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Viper482 said:

Thanks for any info!
    Word of warning, I went back last expansion with my max level toon and found I had to grind through 100 quests just to get to the new content. That was at level 50. Hope you like FF or you may hit a wall of boredom. 

I...guess that would give me something to do in-game, LOL.

Is there anything to do at end-game, other than raid?

Is there plenty to do in-game without doing endgame raiding?  Or is that the whole focus?  I haven't raided in any game for years.
    Depends on how many hours a day you are planning to play the endgame. Right now I am casual and I don't raid anymore. But leveling other jobs, crafting, house building, mount leveling and challenges are keeping me pretty busy.

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

Depends on how many hours a day you are planning to play the endgame. Right now I am casual and I don't raid anymore. But leveling other jobs, crafting, house building, mount leveling and challenges are keeping me pretty busy.

Couple hours a day.  What are challenges?

Couple hours a day.  What are challenges?
    There is enough non-raiding content to fill your time.

After doing a quest at level 15, challenge log gets unlocked. Then there will be weekly challenges, from dungeons to crafting, quests,mounts, FATEs, treasure hunts, etc.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Depends what you want to do... if all you want to do is gear up a single class to do everything below savage mode raids (there are story mode raids as well), then you'll probably be sitting around with 'nothing to do' within 6-8 weeks of hitting cap... if however, you're up for leveling / gearing multiple classes, crafting, doing side stories and other non-combat progression activities, etc. then there is enough content to keep the average player going for years.