Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - A Thirst-Quenching MMORPG - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239

TimEisen said:

I wonder why these companies build EVERYTHING from scratch? Fine once you are established and only AFTER your first title brings in steady revenue you try something more perhaps and maybe build own engine or tools or whatever.
    At current situation needing to worry with anything but gameplay and assets is unjustified or naive or bold.

Just take UE4 or anything else that is already tried and tested and prove you can come up with a title people will want to play and worry about server capacity later.

Unreal tops out around 200 players in a PVP battle (so I've been told, did not confirm). CU wanted 1000 so they had one option. They also might be playing 12-D chess. There isnt an engine that can support battles that big, in fact there isn't an American engine built just for PVP MMORPGs that I'm aware of, creating one might bring greater long term gains than a MMORPG itself!

200 players on a screen simultaneously isn't PVP its clusterfuck, 1000 lol gimme a break...

First they need to build a game that will even hold an interest of 1000 players in total before worrying how to put them on screen at the same time.

Two quick things:

1) We're already at around 30K Backers so it's safe to say we're past 1K. :)

2) If we don't build the tech first, then we can't deliver on the pitch we made to folks to back the game. Now, lots of games/products have gone down that dark path already and it hasn't worked out well. We'll do it the right way, build the tech that can support the design/vision/pitch and then build the game.
    1) Great news! That means you have sold your IDEA to 30K people not a product but still great non the less!

2) Regarding tech I still believe you don't need to build rendering engine as you problem with wanting to support 1K players on screen is backend bound more than it is renderer bound. Even tho I mentioned UE4 your choices are open and anything really is more viable than building rendering engine from the ground up.

Making graphics engine from a scratch is no easy task, even harder is making oiptimized and bug free rendering engine. For backend you were always on your own no matter what you pick.

I still stand by my statement that shooting for 1K players pvp onscreen is naive (not just technical part but gameplay as well) as well as building everything inhouse.

I don't want history to repeat itself as such I truly wish I am dead wrong on all accounts!
  • UzunUzun Member UncommonPosts: 3
    it is even nice to read comments and improvments. Your transparancy and honesty is awesome ! As an old DAOC player It is nice to know that we can feel the same things as we did years ago. Around 5-6 years I couldnt find any game to play to feel the real rvr (fighting against 200+ people in one screen). GJ guys keep up the greate work with no hurry.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    When I first saw that this game was Mark Jakobs creation, I thought... failure... but so far, it seems to have focused on content quallity, so there is still hope. I like the change this spells for Mark Jakobs... Maybe there still is a good future in store?
  • UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    edited March 2017
    Mitara said:
    When I first saw that this game was Mark Jakobs creation, I thought... failure... but so far, it seems to have focused on content quallity, so there is still hope. I like the change this spells for Mark Jakobs... Maybe there still is a good future in store?
    what makes you think failure at the sight of a mark jacobs creation?
  • thomaslevithomaslevi Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited March 2017
    DAOC is the game that ruined every other MMO for me since I constantly hold them to that unreachable standard. She's the one that got away in MMO terms and me and a group of friends I met in DAOC 15 years ago still go back for month long stints down memory lane. It's a game that still has the best/most thought out PVP in existence. More than anything I hope that CU is able to capture the community/people dynamic that DAOC did so well. The game forced you (in a good way) to make friends, to need others(and not just twice a week for a 40 person raid). It also forced you to make choices and those choices are what made the pvp/grouping in DAOC so unique and dynamic. I know that sort of thing creates issues with balance but I think there's 100 other cookie cutter wow clones with a focus on mass appeal. This is a fairly long rant and the only way to summarize is to say I have a ton of faith in Mark Jacobs and am incredibly excited to see what he does with Camelot Unchained.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited March 2017
    1,000 player battles? Sounds like they're going for the biggest zerg ever seen in gaming. How is "skill" supposed to matter when you've got those kinds of numbers? Is everyone supposed to break off into 500 different 1v1 duels?
    How does (did) skill matter in real life when armies of thousands clashed?

One sword swing at a time, with a big helping of luck I suspect.

Or...see the movie "300."  ;)

Sometimes you are going to be threshed like wheat.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    This is pretty much the only MMO I'm looking forward to at this point.
    I'm doubtful about 2 things though:
    - Will it be a clunk fest like Warhammer was?
    - Will it run nicely on my aging rig? i7 950 + GTX 660 (I could afford a small GPU upgrade)
    If I can play all facets of the game without having to buy a new PC and if combat is fluid and lag is minimal, I'm pretty sure this will be my new MMO home for the foreseeable future.
    Best of luck finishing up, MJ & co.
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Scambug said:

This is pretty much the only MMO I'm looking forward to at this point.
    I'm doubtful about 2 things though:
    - Will it be a clunk fest like Warhammer was?
    - Will it run nicely on my aging rig? i7 950 + GTX 660 (I could afford a small GPU upgrade)
    If I can play all facets of the game without having to buy a new PC and if combat is fluid and lag is minimal, I'm pretty sure this will be my new MMO home for the foreseeable future.
    Best of luck finishing up, MJ & co.

Hi hi Scambug. I think the 660 (might have been the TI) was at the bottom tier of Nvidia cards that will be supported at launch. You might be okay CPU-wise, though I'm not sure. If you could afford the GPU upgrade, I think that'd be worthwhile. Though I'd *definitely* recommend waiting until launch to buy one, because you could probably get a better deal then (price-per-performance).

Also, around launch, there should be some good info available about what level of performance you can get at a certain level of graphical detail with certain system specs, and that'll give an idea of where/how to spend the money the best.

For example: The one graphics feature I care the most about is texture quality, and I *believe* VRAM affects this a lot. I also care about stuttering - lower FPS with less stuttering I prefer to higher FPS with even minor stuttering, and I think CPU affects that (though I'm not quite sure how). So I might look for the most amount of VRAM I can get on a graphics card for my dollar, and focus on getting a CPU that can give low stutter - even if I lose out on overall FPS and have to turn down post-processing effects.

That example is just a generalization (and I actually don't know how accurate it is, even generally), but there should be info to make decisions like that reasonable closer to launch.