Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the future of gaming come to?

Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
edited March 2017 in Polls
I prefer PC games..... maybe some oldschool nostalgic console games sometimes but for the most part I find console games too easy that are new are more into storyline, effects, grafficks.... all these things that are less important than gameplay. How do I convince console players to see that they may be one step closer to being zombies watching TV? Hands down, the more keys you have and options and people to play with and freedom and etc. the more challenging a game and the more you think while playing. How do we convert the console players?? Let me ask you this:

PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THOUGH!!!! Probably need this for marketing.

If you only play a few console games, please vote right above the middle ground.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Comments

• Shiner219Shiner219 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    In simplistic terms:

MMORPG's = PC

Single player/Multi-Player types (i.e racing) = Console
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    No joke. 
    I owned a 'console' once, it had ten games. Pong, asteroids, and tank were three of them, I can't remember the others. Strictly black and white. Never even considered owning one since. Played on them a few times over the years, I have never seen the appeal.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm probably 95% PC players, 5% console. 

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the games libraries available and the input devices. I mostly play MMOs, RPGs and RTSs. All three genres are superior on PC, primarily because of the input devices, but also because of greater power on the PC and also the modding communities. 

Since xbox controllers got support on PC, there is even less reason to play on a console. 

However, there are some console exclusives that mean I still play consoles. These days, I only have a Wii U setup at home but everything on the Wii U is exclusive. I did have a 360, but even then it was mostly for the Skate games (console exclusive) and guitar heroes (also console exclusive i think). 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    So I generally prefer PC games, but do play many console games as well. Here are some of my thoughts. 

Why do PCs suck?
    1) non-standard hardware, meaning hardware-specific issues and non-standard performance across different platforms
    2) Sharing options. Steam Family Sharing is getting there, but console still owns this hands-down, even digitally. I don't want to buy 5 copies of a game I'd like to play with my kids. 
    3) Hardware costs suck! Again, a single guy living on his own, earning income might laugh at spending $700 for a graphics card. Multiply that by 5 and multiple that by each system component and then tell me how cost effective PC gaming is. 
    4) Hacks are rampant - I don't generally care about this, but my kids are more competitive and complain about this constantly, whereas on console it's less of an issue.
    5) Control schemes are convoluted. Thank GOD movement is generally standardized, but there are just sooooo many games where controller support would be so much better.... which is exactly why they've integrated controller support into so many games.... because M+K just sucks in so many cases.

... I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any now.

Why do consoles suck?
    1) Antiquated tech - They've taken the best value components they could buy X years ago and jammed it into a system that is expected to last 5+ years. 
    2) Crappy text chat support - Nuff said, it stinks
    3) Games just cannot look as good as PC
    4) Support for more complex control schemes limits what is possible on a console (although I've heard Final Fantasy ARR is great)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I prefer PC games only because I suck at using the controller otherwise I would happily play on consoles. I have used those devices that convert the console use to mouse and keyboard but some console games you just cannot do that at all. So I play PC games over console or ports to PC.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    That's a pretty ridiculous way to categorize what makes a game better. "more buttons" doesn't mean anything.  Some of the best games ever created were console only titles.

Not to mention some of the most played PC games either are also on console including MMOs these days.

Console or PC it doesn't matter in the end.  Next gen consoles are basically mid range gaming PCs anyway.  
    WhiteLantern

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Most of the console games I played have been fighting games like Soul Calibur and a few JRPGs. Well, some Guitar hero some years back as well.

I see console games more like something one could do when we have a few people and a case of beer.

With PC I mainly play 4X, MMORPGs and single player RPGs, with a little RTS and FPS at the side. More with other people then alone, the last week I spent most my time in Age of wonders 3 with a few friends.

I don't own a console anymore, just didn't use my PS3 enough to bother upgrading and I enjoy a good boardgame even more then a console game when I drink beer with a few friends.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I have primarily played PC games over my gaming time, but I have owned pretty much every console, and will continue to buy them. Games aren't better one way or the other, exclusives on everything (PC, Console etc) tend to be great. Some of the best games have been Console only, as well as some being PC only, it all depends on what you want to play. I wouldn't say console games are brain dead, but I will say you get a lot less niche titles on the consoles, which some people want, but some don't. It's all up to what you enjoy. I play a lot of JRPG on consoles, also a lot of shooters because there tends to be a bigger shooter community on console. I play a lot of simulation games on PC, as well as a lot of MMORPG's on my PC. It's just what I feel like playing that leads me to play whatever. Today I played 5 hours of Path of Exile on PC, then went to my console and played a few hours of Battlefield 1. It's pretty split for me.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I still do not understand mmorpg letting console gaming here it has hurt them in my opion.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Loke666 said:
    Most of the console games I played have been fighting games like Soul Calibur and a few JRPGs. Well, some Guitar hero some years back as well.

I see console games more like something one could do when we have a few people and a case of beer.

With PC I mainly play 4X, MMORPGs and single player RPGs, with a little RTS and FPS at the side. More with other people then alone, the last week I spent most my time in Age of wonders 3 with a few friends.

I don't own a console anymore, just didn't use my PS3 enough to bother upgrading and I enjoy a good boardgame even more then a console game when I drink beer with a few friends.

Yeah, I'd totally agree with you on MMORPGs, 4X, and RTS. OH!!! And CRPG, lol, although Divinity did it alright on console I still love the PC version of CRPGs better. 

SRPG and FPS I almost prefer console, especially if it's heavy action combat in the SRPGs. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Only reason consoles exist is so i can play laying down on  the couch or in bed.Then fall asleep drop controller on floor,wake up to go pee and step on it and YELP...that hurts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I gave up playing consoles when games began to be mostly 3D. A game pad doesn't work for that kind of games at all.

Only a few weeks ago i browsed through internet for old Final Fantasy games, considering to buy a cheap old console and play some old rpgs for nostalgic reasons. I watched some game play videos on youtube and remembered why i never played some of the most recent FFs for longer than an hour or so - the 3D environment and the awkward controls.

On the other hand, game pad works best in side scrolling action games and arcade games, but they are no longer made or they doesn't interest me. I prefer strategy games, simulations, rpgs, and FPS games mostly, and a mouse + keyboard is the most natural input device to use.

The sad part of all this is they tend to design some games on PC to be more easily portable for consoles and game pads. They make these games more simple and create clumsy user interface to replicate it on another platform, that doesn't support the gameplay of the original game at all.

The new Zelda game has awaken my interest lately, but almost the only doubt i have is the controls. The other might be an uncertainty for other interesting games that may or may not release on that platform. Having an expensive device because of only one game doesn't feel good to me.
    Wizardry said:
    Only reason consoles exist is so i can play laying down on  the couch or in bed.Then fall asleep drop controller on floor,wake up to go pee and step on it and YELP...that hurts.

Well, I play my PC laying in bed as well :) 

Voice chat is nearly non-existent for me since the sound of my voice whispering somehow wakes my wife up, but an explosion on the screen does nothing. 

Oh, and yes, I have fallen asleep playing PC games. Actually I've fallen asleep during raid bosses in WoW (before LFR). I say before LFR because I think that a tank falling asleep in a LFR group is much less funny because... well.... LFR is there for those people :) And when I say those people, I mean myself included, lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• DhahranGirlDhahranGirl Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    I think mobile-phone based MMORPG is the future.  There is so much potential.  The screens are tiny but a designer can make anything for a small screen.  I see MMORPG heading in that directioon.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Err ... I'm 100% PC, and wont ever buy a console.

Well, except maybe buying one and hacking it for something else, like fast computing. Its very cheap high performance hardware, after all. So that would make sense to me.

But not unhacked. The very concept of buying a closed platform just to play games, isnt that obviously - stupid ? I need a PC anyway, so why wouldnt I also use that for games ?

That, and also console controls, not my kind of deal. I prefer complex games, and keyboard & mouse controls.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file