Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASUS Turbo 1070 GTX

2»

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You would have definitely heard about it by now if it was coming out Q3 2017. A new GPU architecture would have needed to pass through enough hands by now to be noticeable. So far all we heard on Volta is the architecture name and they are speeding up development on it. It's not typical for a hardware company to keep an architecture under wraps for a long period of time. It's typically better to announce it's in the works in order to knock the steam out of competitors. If nVidia had a GPU with woodscrews in it, they would have shown it to the world already. Much the same way AMD released news on Vega with internal benchmarks before they were spinning the final silicon. Q4 2017 might be a possibility, but I highly doubt a Q3 release.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Cleffy said:
    You would have definitely heard about it by now if it was coming out Q3 2017. A new GPU architecture would have needed to pass through enough hands by now to be noticeable. So far all we heard on Volta is the architecture name and they are speeding up development on it. It's not typical for a hardware company to keep an architecture under wraps for a long period of time. It's typically better to announce it's in the works in order to knock the steam out of competitors. If nVidia had a GPU with woodscrews in it, they would have shown it to the world already. Much the same way AMD released news on Vega with internal benchmarks before they were spinning the final silicon. Q4 2017 might be a possibility, but I highly doubt a Q3 release.
    The thing many people don't recognize right now with AMD is.   They were going bankrupt and they really needed to generate income and produce a lot of hype.  So yes they have been constantly talking about what they are doing in order to get those funds and even sold a bunch of stock once the hype was taking off in order to develop this new stuff.   

When a company is about to go under they do not act like a company that is sitting comfortably on the top.  Secrecy is only important if it serves a purpose and being public has served amd very well over the last year.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Because nVidia keeps things under wraps until it's ready to ship. They are on top, comfortably, obviously, so no need to hype things up.

Intel would never let future products be known until they are ready to go, because they have no competition, right?
    Ridelynn said:
    Because nVidia keeps things under wraps until it's ready to ship. They are on top, comfortably, obviously, so no need to hype things up.

Intel would never let future products be known until they are ready to go, because they have no competition, right?
    They are both very silent right now.  And we are to assume this silence is because they got nothing to talk about?  Companies with R&D budgets that could purchase a small country.  Yea I don't think they are going to just sit back and watch their competitor take over.  Even with their lead we saw Nvidia pull out the 1050-1070's last year simply to counter the RX series.   You can count on the fact that they will produce something again this year for the sole purpose of stopping AMD.
    Didn't Intel just release a huge press release making a big stink about their newest Atom? Because that's the market Intel cares about losing, the small energy efficiency server/embedded market. They have more or less wrote off the consumer market as a stagnant economy, which it is. Zen may grab marketshare in the consumer PC market, but that isn't where Intel is looking to grow. Intel has had that market to themselves for a number of years and it's shrinking anyway. But IoT/energy efficient servers/embeddeds - huge growth potential there that Intel doesn't want to let get away from them like Mobile did.

Doesn't nVidia have a giant countdown clock on their geforce.com web site right now, put there for the express purpose of generating hype before an impending Vega release?

They are far from silent. In fact, this is probably the loudest Intel has been for a long while - probably since Sandy Bridge or Devil's Canyon. 

Ridelynn said:
    Didn't Intel just release a huge press release making a big stink about their newest Atom? Because that's the market Intel cares about losing, the small energy efficiency server/embedded market. They have more or less wrote off the consumer market as a stagnant economy, which it is. Zen may grab marketshare in the consumer PC market, but that isn't where Intel is looking to grow. Intel has had that market to themselves for a number of years and it's shrinking anyway. But IoT/energy efficient servers/embeddeds - huge growth potential there that Intel doesn't want to let get away from them like Mobile did.

Doesn't nVidia have a giant countdown clock on their geforce.com web site right now, put there for the express purpose of generating hype before an impending Vega release?

They are far from silent. In fact, this is probably the loudest Intel has been for a long while - probably since Sandy Bridge or Devil's Canyon. 

Yes its only 5 days in advance.  Unlike AMD who did it for an entire year.  But anyways  the new Nvidia countdown they believe is for the 1080 TI but I have it on good authority its the  Volta series they are going to show us.  And intel launched a product.  Yes they are suppose to launch products.   AMD talked about it all at least a year beforehand.  Nvidia, Intel tell you like the day of release or week before.  Not months to years.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    filmoret said:
    If you aren't overclocking the cpu.   Then you can just discard that blower mounted next to the GPU.  Thats if it gets in the way.
    Worst case scenario, one can also get rid ofthe air cooling and watercool the card. And if a reservoir doesn't fit, a bay reservoir can be used as well. Although those aren't as good.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2017
    Yesterday I got the Asus 1070 GTX Turbo that I ordered. I waited for a price drop and it did for awhile to about 430 € and I thought it might drop further but it went back up to 455 € and I finally decided I could not wait any longer and bought it. I shall refrain from going back to Amazon and checking if the price dropped only to scold myself when it does. I know it's difficult to not do that even though it makes no sense after you buy something to torture yourself that the price might drop.

So I open up the computer and look at the card to take it out only it has this piece of metal sticking out from the side that slides into a slot. Hang on see this video at the 29 second point on your right that metal piece.

So I take it out and I take out the plastic protection sheet from the Asus only to find that when I try to fit it into the slot  it simply won't go in. My heart begins to sink and I am about to cry and worried my husband might divorce me for wasting all that money. Then I take the card out and put back the 770 GTX that was there before and it fits easily. So I look at the Asus again and lo and behold there is plastic protection cover on the bottom. So I take it out and then boom it goes in easily. I put the 8 pin connector since the old 770 GTX needed both 6 pin and 8 pin connectors.

Then I start up the computer and the there is no video card just Microsoft default display. So I go back put back the 770 GTX and it works so now I am worried why since I have drivers already and my go to response is to Google and I try to reinstall drivers. It worked... I think I aged a few years and believe me at 56 years old I cannot afford to age any more.

I am so clumsy and stupid really I felt so dumb but at least I am happy it worked and hope it works without any problems for a few years.

Meanwhile I realised as a result of that weird metal protrusion there is actually space for a card of a longer length than I first calculated as I bought the Asus 1070 GTX Turbo mainly because it was exactly the same size as the 770 GTX without that metal bit which I had not noticed or even figured was part of the card. Of course it also was a blower fan card which was also a criteria.

I am also using an old monitor since my son stole my monitor and the monitor we ordered from the shop that built my son's computer has not come despite it being three weeks. I should have used Amazon it would have come within a few days so this card is kinda of wasted on the old 1600 X 1200 resolution.

So I just wanted to update you all on the adventures of my graphic card upgrade which would have been less complicated if I wasn't such a clutz.
    Chamber of Chains
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Just be careful which 1070 you get, the MSI 1070, is bigger than a 1080ti. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The last thing you should think of yourself is a clutz. It sounds like things went quite successfully. Be proud of yourself the vast majority would be too timid to attempt the install.

Your well underway. I sincerely hope your next computer is built by you.

Maybe build your sons next computer as well. I'd love to see his jaw drop ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited March 2017
    After reading it again...

So the 1070 didn't work after all?

If Windows booted up and switched to default WDDM driver, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Windows is horrible at swapping video cards, usually it takes at least a driver cleaner and then fresh install of the latest drivers from the web site.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2017
    No it worked after I reinstalled the drivers. For some reason it did not recognise the drivers that were already installed so when I reinstalled the drivers it recognised the card and worked. 

Thanks but I swear it is  pretty harrowing to put your hands inside the computer . 
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Haven't read through this whole thing, but assuming they use standard ATX motherboards and PSU and all that... Why not just buy a new case, swap all the other components into it, grab any video card he wants, and... win?

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche