Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Fib MMORPGs Keep Telling Me

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
edited March 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Before reading this, please note that I said mmorpgs. Single player games often deliver better on the issue I am discussing. 

FIB: Your choices in our story line matter. They will affect your game experience. People who rush through the game will miss things that are import later. To have a full and well rounded character you need to experience the whole game, not just grind to max. 

So I do a quest to walk grandma across the street.

I collect apples for Farmer Tom.

I help little Daisy find her doll.

I do a million things for a million NPCs.

And none of it means SQUAT.  

Never have I reached a higher level and the little orphan child I rescued from bandits is now the Duke of Earl, who rewards me handsomely. None of it ever matters at all. 

Just once I would like to make a choice in a mmorpg (other than character builds/equipment), and it actually be meaningful in the long run. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Torval said:
    You do understand why choices mostly can't matter in a mmorpg right? It's an issue inherent to the genre that doesn't have a simple solution that is currently technologically available.
    Yet oddly it's a promise that keeps getting made. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    edited March 2017
    Unfortunately when a decision is made and then a player finds themselves locked out of certain areas or quests they whine and complain and the developers have to change their minds or risk the bad reviews the game will garner. So they end up creating ways to fix the faction or undo the choices the player has made or reducing the impact of the choices.

Players cannot handle it judging from the the questions and complaints you see in  single player games. When they made some decision and obtained a bad faction with one house or companion in Pillars of Eternity they were posting about having to replay the game because certain choices screwed them for good.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    They could do it so your choices made in quests like that affect your character such as opening up different quests or his NPCs view or treat you or even how you look (like swtor).
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017
    Amathe said:
    Before reading this, please note that I said mmorpgs. Single player games often deliver better on the issue I am discussing. 

FIB: Your choices in our story line matter. They will affect your game experience. People who rush through the game will miss things that are import later. To have a full and well rounded character you need to experience the whole game, not just grind to max. 

Never have I reached a higher level and the little orphan child I rescued from bandits is now the Duke of Earl, who rewards me handsomely. None of it ever matters at all. 

Just once I would like to make a choice in a mmorpg (other than character builds/equipment), and it actually be meaningful in the long run. 
    This isn't exactly true, using TOR as an example is rather easy really, as there are quest choices that have different effects, which is all single player games ever incorporate for the most part as well. While those choices don't effect the overall world, they do effect certain variables in the quest chain(s).. Which is all one can really expect in most MMORPG setups. 

In reality most of these types of choices in games are mostly superficial. Single player or otherwise. Even the best of them over the years (games such as KOTOR) simply give you two paths to take in any given decision. The examples of stepping outside of that typical black and white paradigm are few and far between. Divinity:OS 2 promises something unique in that respect, a major reason I can't wait to play it. 

To truly offer this type of thing in an MMORPG you'd have to use extreme phasing. Which becomes problematic in maintaining the multi-player approach this particular genre uses (keeping friends who want their own choices to matter together). All we get now are slight visual changes and slight differences in which  npcs are present to each individual user (like in ESO).  That's about the extent they can use phasing without placing people in different worlds than those they like to play with. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Amathe said:
    Torval said:
    You do understand why choices mostly can't matter in a mmorpg right? It's an issue inherent to the genre that doesn't have a simple solution that is currently technologically available.
    Can you be more specifc? Because I don't know of any game where your choices matter other than Star Wars the Old Republic (and there is a limit to how much they "matter") and perhaps Elder scrolls Online and possibly The Secret World.

What game are you talking about? Because it feels like you are talking in hypotheticals.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited March 2017
    Out of curiosity (and before I can truly answer), which MMOs exactly said that your choices matter and have an effect on the game world? (Note: "effect on gameplay" is a useless set of words from any Dev, since ANYTHING a player does or does not do will change your gameplay experience relative to another player's)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Amathe said:

I don't mean this haughtily, but you obviously have never played a quest arc designed by me.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Amathe said:

I don't mean this haughtily, but you obviously have never played a quest arc designed by me.
    So then, you would ...

Have a player walk grandma across the street only to run into Farmer Tom. Farmer Tom seems a bit nervous but offers to take grandma the rest of the way if you would be willing to collect his apples and bring them to the customers. While delivering to the customers, each one asks a very odd thing for you to do and each time they verify that "tom sent you". At the end of the day you collapse from exhaustion thinking none of that meant squat only to hear chants of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn wafting through the window.

Then, suddenly, the sky darkens and the sun turns black!

I love it! It says "yes" to me in a big way, make it so! B)

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

In answer to some questions:

1. I'm sorry @Phaserlight, I don't know you so I can't say if I have run any quests designed by you. Heck, of the hundreds of thousands of quests I have run since early 2002, I could not tell you the name of anyone who wrote any of them. But if you are doing a better job of it, good work. 

2. In general, I recall statements of this nature in regard to the marketing of SWTOR and Warhammer. I feel there were others but it's not like I have been keeping a journal for years so that one day I could quote chapter and verse in a forum post. 

edited March 2017
    Amathe said:

2. In general, I recall statements of this nature in regard to the marketing of SWTOR and Warhammer. I feel there were others but it's not like I have been keeping a journal for years so that one day I could quote chapter and verse in a forum post. 
    Well that's the thing, I can't really recall a lot of games that made that claim.

Some, as I mentioned above, actually do give you some agency in what is happening to the story or world (Star Wars with characters and Elder Scrolls for characters/world for example) but that's not something I recall a lot of.

I do remember Aion actually making that claim at the start of development then all of a sudden they never mentioned it and when it was finally released it wasn't the game they had originally touted. For better and for worse I suppose.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The difficulty with having different outcomes is that for all results you have to make new unique content, the more choices you get to make the more redundant content you end up creating. In witcher 2 you had two different chapter 2, you had 3 different chapter 3, in some ways that means you had to create 6 chapters for a game that only has 3 chapters.

A game like dwarf fortress is interesting due to its emergent gameplay but its going to take a really really long time until we see something like it in an mmorpg. Even today there are times when static quests breaks in mmorpg, imagine what would happen with emergent gameplay in an open world.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Play EVE, closest you will come to player choices having an impact on the gameplay experience and on the universe itself.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    edited March 2017
    Amathe said:

never played age of wushu I see...

Its always the people who have strings of games in their signatures, as if that means SQUAT, that play every game in the same boring linear way and then complain about it on forums.
  • Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    While a game with primarily dynamic, player-directed content would be nice, static content is easier to develop so that's what we get.

However, there are still ways to implement more player influence into the game's world. Here's a couple:

Player created content - give players a set of tools to make and submit their own quests, dungeons, etc. Players can change their own content based on what other players do if they want to. This was done in the original version of Graal Online back in 1998-ish.

Live story events - with these a team of GMs (live event team) would act as D&D style dungeon masters. They would directly play the roles of main NPCs and alter the event story accordingly in real time as the players play through it. When the event ends, the outcome of the event and all the player choices made during the event will have changed the direction the game's main story goes. I know, "that's crazy and it could never be done", right? No. The system I describe existed in The Matrix Online. That was back in 2005 so if they could do it back then they definitely can do it now.

So, some old concepts like these could make a comeback and allow for something a little closer to the dynamic, ever-changing world some of us want.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    This is why I don't like stories in my computer games. Games just aren't a good medium for telling stories, especially in the MMO space. The tighter the story, the more restrictive the gameplay. If you want player choices to be reflected in the world, then you need to do away with stories completely, otherwise you have to do some extreme phasing. 

I'd much rather see the world changing at a faction level. Things like territory control is a great one. Fight well for your faction and you're area of control slowly extends. Allow players to build their own cities that change the landscape of the game. Have NPC factions that are themselves working to take back territory. Have the mobs in a zone change depending on who owns it, so if you own it, the quests / mobs might be small scale cleanup type things, but if the enemy owns it then your quests will be to reclaim it, wipe out a mini-boss etc. 

You could put in some sort of automatic promotion / inheritance mechanic, for example if your faction managed to assault another factions home city and kill their king, have the king actually die and his son / brother / uncle inherit the throne, with new randomly generated character and skills. Combine with some sort of mechanic that auto-tweaks difficult, so if one factions leader is consistently killed, that faction "breeds" stronger children due to a hard life, so the leaders steadily get harder until it balances out. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    This is why I don't like stories in my computer games. Games just aren't a good medium for telling stories, especially in the MMO space. The tighter the story, the more restrictive the gameplay. If you want player choices to be reflected in the world, then you need to do away with stories completely, otherwise you have to do some extreme phasing. 

I'd much rather see the world changing at a faction level. Things like territory control is a great one. Fight well for your faction and you're area of control slowly extends. Allow players to build their own cities that change the landscape of the game. Have NPC factions that are themselves working to take back territory. Have the mobs in a zone change depending on who owns it, so if you own it, the quests / mobs might be small scale cleanup type things, but if the enemy owns it then your quests will be to reclaim it, wipe out a mini-boss etc. 

You could put in some sort of automatic promotion / inheritance mechanic, for example if your faction managed to assault another factions home city and kill their king, have the king actually die and his son / brother / uncle inherit the throne, with new randomly generated character and skills. Combine with some sort of mechanic that auto-tweaks difficult, so if one factions leader is consistently killed, that faction "breeds" stronger children due to a hard life, so the leaders steadily get harder until it balances out. 

You mean MMOs aren't a great medium for telling stories. Games are perfectly fine, even for a changing world, but the world must change around YOU, singularly, it can't be changing around a million other people at the same time. There can't be a million other people who are the "Chosen One!" :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Its always the people who have strings of games in their signatures, as if that means SQUAT, that play every game in the same boring linear way and then complain about it on forums.
    Ahh. so it all comes down to my listing some games I have played in my sig. Very helpful input, thanks. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Seems to me like a case of "Hero Complex". While in a single player game one could in theory have huge effects on the story progression and development of the world, that simply isn't feasible in a MMORPG. Simply put, my choice shouldn't affect your game play.

Although I could argue that in a PvP castle siege game, there is player effect on the game world. If of course venders and what not, are tied to control. But I don't think that is what the OP is looking for.
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Torval said:
    Amathe said:
    Torval said:
    And single player games don't do it any better. You don't any more impact on the game and world than the scripted narrative dictates. The only recent game that even has a modestly open narrative has been Shadow of Mordor and that was really crude in its implementation. Open narrative is hard, probably one of the most difficult challenges the industry could tackle.
    What about the Fable games, particularly the last one in which you became the King and had a lasting visual impact on every zone in the game? ;)
    My post is not about me being the Hero or me doing something that affects everyone else's game experience. 

It is about me doing things that will ultimately benefit me and my game experience. Making the things that I do matter to me later in the game, for example. 

As I had said, "Your choices in our story line matter. They will affect your game experience. People who rush through the game will miss things that are import later. To have a full and well rounded character you need to experience the whole game, not just grind to max."

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited March 2017
    It would take procedural content that can be thrown away.  Something this genre should have long worked on as it would save countless dollars in the long term.  Shadow of Mordor seems to be trying to go this route but this genre would benefit far more from personalized content.  
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    People would rage about their choices actually mattering.  I believe exactly 0 people when they say that.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    CrazKanuk said:

You mean MMOs aren't a great medium for telling stories. Games are perfectly fine, even for a changing world, but the world must change around YOU, singularly, it can't be changing around a million other people at the same time. There can't be a million other people who are the "Chosen One!" :)
    Nope, I mean computer games in general. 

To tell a good story, you need all actors in that story to perform their parts properly. Even in single player games, the developer can't control my actions, they just have to make assumptions and roll with it. This creates a very disjointed story with a lot of inconsistency. Developers start getting around this by programming ever more restrictions into their games, like linear levels, linear quest lines, dialogue that inevitably forces you to the same ending etc. These restrictions result in a better story (but still nowhere near as good as books or films) but much worse gameplay. 

Easiest example is any game which assumes I'm the good guy. The quests and story all assume I'm the good guy and force me down the route of being good, but thats not who I am. I am far more nuanced than that - most of the time I'm good, but you what what, sometimes I just wanna kill that irritating character in game. Those nuances come out in the gameplay - I'll happily slaughter everybody in sight, smash open every crate and rob everyone blind - but are almost never reflected in the story.

Thing is, it's not really feasible to create a game which is intelligent enough to track all my actions, process them and then alter quests / dialogue accordingly. 

The only stories, in my opinion, that work in gaming are the ones you create yourself. The developers should set up the general framework, but it is your actions in the game that create your personal story. It is why I prefer older games for stories. The technology back then prevented too much dialogue and minimal cutscenes and animations. You got the barebones of the story from the developers, and essentially filled in the gaps using your own experiences. A quest was remembered as easy or hard (story wise) based on how easy or hard it was for you, personally (gameplay wise), not because you reached the finish and a cutscene shows your toon saying "wow, that was hard". 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2017
    Amathe said:

As I had said, "Your choices in our story line matter. They will affect your game experience. People who rush through the game will miss things that are import later. To have a full and well rounded character you need to experience the whole game, not just grind to max."
    I've never heard that said about an MMORPG except by you :)

What I have heard, and fully agree with, is that in an MMORPG that tells a lot of stories through quests, you will be missing out on a lot of content and context if you don't do the quests.

It's fine to not like quest-centric themeparks: they're not everyone's idea of fun. But if you choose to play one of those and don't do the quests it's pretty much like skipping most of a book and turning to the last chapter to see how it turns out... why bother?

There are also a few games where some rewards can only be gotten through quests or things that help in PVE can only be gotten in PVP. or viceversa. The choices you make in how you play those games do in fact matter, but that has nothing to do with branching quest scripts.

Having MMORPGS where the things you do truly affect the world and everyone else in it at this moment in time is just science fiction in novels about MMORPGs like Ready player One, Reamde, etc.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited March 2017
    It would take procedural content that can be thrown away.  Something this genre should have long worked on as it would save countless dollars in the long term.  Shadow of Mordor seems to be trying to go this route but this genre would benefit far more from personalized content.  
    Citadel of Sorcery has long been promising to provide players personal content via reflected worlds which they could choose who and how many to share it with.

They've never shared how the "magic" will happen, top secret info which only the highest tier backers may be privy to.

Unfortunately seems to be stuck in a never-ending development cycle due to a lack of funding, but it is a game I hope can one day deliver on the "vision"

I'm just not placing any bets...  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon