Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - The Pros and Cons of a DPS Meter - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited March 2017

Hothlove said:

Lol I played this game to 20 something. You have like 1 auto attack, 5 other attack, 1 heal, 1 I win button and 2 slots for passive abilities. Almost every ability you can use except auto has long cooldowns.

There is no tactics in this game it requires zero skill. In pvp you just press every thing that is not on cooldown and auto. The game looks great, the quests are fun but the combat is terrible, same with ESO which has similar combat style - great world, everything is great except for the bland combat.

I tried another one of these 'console' mmorpg's - neverwinter. Again the same thing, great graphics, boring combat.

I bet some players still think that these games mentioned are too complex and advanced. Lol I suddenly remembered the presentation of Fable 3 where the designer said '' You can do every thing in this game with just one button - and I mean JUST ONE BUTTON!! ''

Wow - just to lvl 20 and you can judge the game, when you don't have skills, attributes and, skill slots unlocked. Yes, you really understand the game - it never changes.

It is forum posters like this that make me laugh and shake my head with the arrogance shown in the posts. Mobs change and get different skills as you go forward. Then there are the World Bosses where spamming one skill will get you killed fast. Players at lvl 20 still haven't learned how important dodging, evade skills, are to this game.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Hothlove said:
    Lol I played this game to 20 something. You have like 1 auto attack, 5 other attack, 1 heal, 1 I win button and 2 slots for passive abilities. Almost every ability you can use except auto has long cooldowns.

There is no tactics in this game it requires zero skill. In pvp you just press every thing that is not on cooldown and auto. The game looks great, the quests are fun but the combat is terrible, same with ESO which has similar combat style - great world, everything is great except for the bland combat.

I tried another one of these 'console' mmorpg's - neverwinter. Again the same thing, great graphics, boring combat.

I bet some players still think that these games mentioned are too complex and advanced. Lol I suddenly remembered the presentation of Fable 3 where the designer said '' You can do every thing in this game with just one button - and I mean JUST ONE BUTTON!! ''

5 weapon based skills with most classes allowing you to swap to another set of weapons during combat, that's 10 skills,  plus 1 heal, 3 class abilities, and one elite, that's a total of 15 skills in the most basic form.

That gets compounded based on the class and what you choose as skills and weapons.

For example, elementalist has 4 attunements which are like weapon swaps. So that's 20 abilities, plus 5 more, plus if you spec tempest thats another 4 overload, that's 29 abilities.

If you went 5 kit engineer, you'd have 30 abilities, plus 5 toolkit abilities, that would be 35 total.

Most classes have more than enough abilities to keep you busy on that alone.

But it's not just about the amount of abilities, if you don't know how to use them, such as when to apply condition transfers, or boon strips, condition cleanses, reflects, etc.  you'll die immediately.  

Even if you skipped straight to PvP and a level 80 character with all the abilities, it sounds like you have a lot to learn.

• PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited March 2017
    Radoo said:
    @PinoX
    Accessing PvE maps and doing meta events has nothing to do with the DPS meters!
    You will enter whatever map you want and play however you want in PvE, regardless of your character doing 1 or 10 points of damage.
    This tool has been long requested by guilds that want to set up for specific content and need to optimize group stats accordingly. It applies to Raiding Guilds that wish to check who's doing damage and how much (they've long been using 3rd party tools even if this feature is yet to be implemented on live servers) and it can also apply to dedicated WvW guilds or some PvP scenarios of organized guilds/groups that wish to track their output.

I urge everyone to read up on this topic at least on the official forums before generalizing pandemonium and apocalypse everywhere.
    I wasn't generalizing pandemonium and apocalypse. You misunderstood me. What I meant was with raid, elitism has become even more apparent in the game than ever. DPS meter existence is just a natural thing to follow. Funny thing though, Anet still disallowing gear check. It doesn't even matter anymore these days, just allow gear check altogether. It won't make much difference.

Yes, no1 gives a crap about one gears and damages for open world pve.
    Bottom line is ... my opinion, just get it over with and allow all sort of check. Best yet, come out with official version. Safer and more consistent for players in comparison to 3rd party stuffs.

Mind you, I don't even raid and use dps meter in this game.
    Post edited by PinoX on
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Loke666 said:
    Nope, DPS is not a good way of measuring skill in GW2. It's a cancer on the game. Every combat situation is too... situational. There is no way that any meter can take into account the need to heal (since everyone has to), dodge, stack, collect, move, use world items to meet encounter conditions, maintain mitigation, buff, block, debuff.. Etc.

Cancer. This is not that type of game and people are doing it wrong.
    Cancer is a bit of an overstatement, they are more like a cold, annoying but not deadly.
    Hrimnir said:
    People don't like DPS meters because they can be used as hard proof of how terrible a player is.  Now, do some people abuse that information, yes, of course.  However other people who are looking to actually improve their ability can use things like DPS meters to great affect.  Or perhaps you have a friend who is just completely convinced that their ice/fire/poison dot/dd/heavy armor wizard build is the bees knees.  You can use that information to show them that the build is in fact, useless.
    DPS meters are a good tool if you use it to determine how you do more damage, yes. But GW2 do not just have DPS classes no matter what some people think.

A good support character is extremely useful both in PvE and PvP even if their DPS suck, stuff like getting up players, kiting the boss, healing, put up combos for the rest of the group and similar can't really be measured.

For PvP, going 1 Vs 1 versus a good opponent tells you far more then any meter. In PvE it is really co-ordination that wins the hard fights, a group of uncoordinated players will be useless in hard content no matter how high their DPS is.

For me personally who plays a thief is it no biggie, I am supposed to do most DPS in most situations but I don't need a meter to see if someone in my group doesn't work, it is pretty obvious when you do something that is hard.

Of course people who play badly wont like anything that points to them not doing their share but DPS is hardly a perfect measurement to how good someone play and people who post everyones DPS every 10 seconds in group chat tends to be rather annoying. A support character is not really supposed to do as much damage as a full DPS character, that means that they either don't support at all and/or that the DPs guy suck. The problem is that some people just don't get that and that makes DPS meters annoying (even if it is more the person who spams the results who is the annoying one).

To be fair I was referring more to DPS meters in general, not just in relation to GW2. I would agree that GW2 doesn't have as hard set roles as other MMOs, however I would disagree that there aren't DPS classes.  Basically unless things have changed since I played, everyone does DPS to some degree, just some classes also toss in some heals and such on top of their DPS, and sacrifice a bit of that DPS to do so.  There are definitely builds and combos and such that are purely DPS driven, but the disparity isn't anywhere close to a traditional MMO in that respect (i.e. WOW where a "DPS" class is doing 10x or something of a non DPS or a tank, etc).

That being said, in the context of "regular" mmo with more clearly defined roles, I think they are an extremely valuable tool, especially since most raids are comprised mostly of DPS.  It is unacceptable for someone who wants to raid, etc, to be doing 50% of the top person (all other things equal, similar gear level, etc).

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MoirraineMoirraine Member CommonPosts: 1
    MMORPG must not have an editor any longer.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    dps meters are good, with that you know if you are playing with scrub or good players who know their rotation and skill, no one like wipe because joe suck at the game, so we can know joe dont do his job and kick him or explain him how to play. with no dps meters you dont know why the boss dont die.

only peoples like joe who are bad at game dont like them

learn2play joe
    I am all about maximizing, getting down your class, and mechanics of any game.

However, DPS Meters bring in the wrong crowd.

You want to THEORY CRAFT go right ahead, but I do not need some ELITIST PRICK telling how to play the fucking game.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!