Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Wanted Mass Effect 4 But Got Something Better - Mass Effect: Andromeda Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    How's the companion AI and command system?  More ME2 or DA:I??

I literally uninstalled DA:I after, like, 4 fights.  The companion and command system was bush league.  If MEA is better I'll probably end up buying it sometime in the near future.
    They got rid of the pause in combat system for anything other than switching weapons and consumables so I find myself not managing the companions as much as in previous ME games, Other than holding "x" to get them to rally to my position occasionally, I just let them do their own thing, and they're not bad at helping.

Everyone is so obsessed with the character models that I've barely seen any mention of this rather large change that actually affects the game play more fundamentally than any other major change from previous ME and DA games save for the addition of the Z axis with the jump jets.

It changes combat from the traditional Bioware turn-based-under-the-hood way to a faster paced, action system that feels much more like SWTOR than previous MEs or DAs.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    JeroKane said:
    Kiyonori said:
    Bioware is nothing but a shell of what it once was. It is "Bioware" in name only. All the talent that made the past games so good (before ME3, really) is gone. In it's place we have inexperienced people with an agenda.

I'm happy for those that enjoy it, I suppose the same way I'm happy for those that enjoy watching paint dry. I don't mean to imply my tastes are better than anyone elses, but what this company has become, and where it is headed bothers me a great deal.

I wish I haden't played their first games, then perhaps I could enjoy their latest offerings much more without the comparisons constantly being drawn at every corner, but then I would have been robbed of an actual lovingly crafted experience, so I guess it's a mixed bag either way.

My face is tired.

Exactly. Everyone that has played (even more times over) the ME trilogy must be able see what a huge step backwards ME:Adromeda is in Production quality.

I am a longterm member of MMORPG.com and love this community, but I am currently highly dissapointed in this review and how they let EA/BW get away with releasing such a shoddy, shockingly unpolished, clearly rushed product!

But what really takes the cake is how the staff is now in attack mode against their own members, making fun of them and attacking them of being over dramatic about the issues this game has and that it's perfectly acceptable for a big AAA studio like EA and Bioware to release a product in such a state!

And then they keep being shocked and suprised when People bring up suspicion of them getting paid for a glowing review.  Well..... duhhh /facepalm

This is one of the better reviews out there so far:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14961928/mass-effect-andromeda-review-xbox-ps4-pc
    Seems more politically motivated than monetary. They don't help their case when they censor views critical of that ideology while leaving up political posts in support of it.

It also doesn't help when staff puts their stamp of approval on this type of nonsense.

http://i.imgur.com/YyO5Fkf.png

"I'll always support studios that push my politics, even if they're not releasing good games!"

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Ginaz said:
    I haven't played this yet but I don't really care for the review. The author starts her review off VERY defensive and close minded about the criticisms people may have. She even goes so far as to tie those who do have criticisms, like with the animation quality, to some online harassment being perpetrated against one of the female employees. Low blow and bad form. It doesn't help that we have another staff member who has also gotten very defensive and annoyed with people criticizing the game both in this thread and at least one other. They come across as super sensitive fanboys/girls and it's not very professional IMO.

I actually have no intention of buying ME:A at this time because of my less than favourable opinion of ME3 and the whole direction Bioware games have been going in the past few years. I'll probably pick it up once it drops to $20 or less. I loved ME1 and it's one of my favourite games of all time. It's one of the few single player games that I've actually finished. I liked ME2 and finished it as well but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, mostly because I found both the characters and story to be less interesting. I only made it past the Mars facility mission in ME3 before calling it quits (I actually did another play through a few months ago and didn't make it much farther). Horrible story and characters and the combat seemed more janky than the previous 2 games. The same pattern followed with the Dragon Age series. Loved DA1 (bad combat and all) and finished it twice. Made it about 3/4 of the way with DA2 and about 1/4 with DA3. Bioware has been going downhill in their game quality for awhile now, for me anyway, and ME:A looks like it's headed in the same direction.
    where does she start defensive though? The only thing I see is mention with the memes and to set mind at ease?

And honestly every time there is a review that gets a decent score on this site trolls come out to cry paid. Honestly its annoying at best. If its a bad score you offend people, if its a good score you still offend people. I wont agree with every score and in this case I don't know if I agree with it yet or not, I don't see why people feel a need to base there buying decision on someone else's opinion. We all know things are over blown on the internet, from what I've heard from friends who have the game is the animation isn't bad most of the time, only in certain instances.
    I don't really care about the score.  I can't say if it's accurate or not because I haven't played the game.  Even if I did, reviews are kind of meant to be subjective opinions, not definitive answers.  It's just the way the review was written and the way some members of the staff have been defending it that have put me off.  It all comes across as just pure fanboyism and they're basically telling people if they have criticisms then to keep it to themselves.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017

Seems more politically motivated than monetary. They don't help their case when they censor views critical of that ideology while leaving up political posts in support of it.

It also doesn't help when staff puts their stamp of approval on this type of nonsense.

"I'll always support studios that push my politics, even if they're not releasing good games!"

If you have such a problem with the staff, why not just stop coming here? That goes to all who seem to be chirping about credibility...

BTW: That post said far more about the game than politics, which wasn't even really political, as much as the person was pointing out they could relate more to the game from an ethnic as well sexual perspective. That is important in an RPG that is character driven after all...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited March 2017
    Ginaz said:.  It all comes across as just pure fanboyism and they're basically telling people if they have criticisms then to keep it to themselves.
    LOl... Firstly, most staff posts were defending themselves against accusations of being paid to endorse the game...

Secondly. They weren't attacking folks critique, they were defending their own right to disagree with the importance of those critiques in their own scoring.

Thirdly... It's users who come into these places like they own the place, acting as though they get to dictate another person's opinion that are the problem, not staff telling folks to stuff that nonsense somewhere...

Distopia said:

If you have such a problem with the staff, why not just stop coming here? That goes to all who seem to be chirping about credibility...

BTW: That post said far more about the game than politics, which wasn't even really political, as much as the person was pointing out they could relate more to the game from an ethnic as well sexual perspective. That is important in an RPG that is character driven after all...

Because taking your ball and going home doesn't solve anything. If you call out bad behavior maybe it will change and you won't have worthless reviews tainted by ideology.

In what world is a post that starts off with "I love the politics of this company. That other company is racist and evil though. But this company has just the right politics." Then moves on to "I will always support this company as long as they match my politics" NOT political?

And no, I don't see how race, gender or sexual orientation has much to do with being able to be immersed in a character and their story. I've enjoyed playing everything from straight white dude bros, black lesbians, all the way through to space aliens. If you write a good story people will be immersed, if you write a crap story they won't be. 
    Distopia said:

Because taking your ball and going home doesn't solve anything. If you call out bad behavior maybe it will change and you won't have worthless reviews tainted by ideology.

In what world is a post that starts off with "I love the politics of this company. That other company is racist and evil though. But this company has just the right politics." Then moves on to "I will always support this company as long as they match my politics" NOT political?

And no, I don't see how race, gender or sexual orientation has much to do with being able to be immersed in a character and their story. I've enjoyed playing everything from straight white dude bros, black lesbians, all the way through to space aliens. If you write a good story people will be immersed, if you write a crap story they won't be. 
    Maybe because there's a difference between political and social commentary?

You're not everyone.... Those things are obviously important to the poster, there was nothing wrong with what they said as it's their own perspective, they're obviously not worried about being stuck in your own personal bubble of what is important.  

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Ginaz said:
    Ginaz said:
    I haven't played this yet but I don't really care for the review. The author starts her review off VERY defensive and close minded about the criticisms people may have. She even goes so far as to tie those who do have criticisms, like with the animation quality, to some online harassment being perpetrated against one of the female employees. Low blow and bad form. It doesn't help that we have another staff member who has also gotten very defensive and annoyed with people criticizing the game both in this thread and at least one other. They come across as super sensitive fanboys/girls and it's not very professional IMO.

I actually have no intention of buying ME:A at this time because of my less than favourable opinion of ME3 and the whole direction Bioware games have been going in the past few years. I'll probably pick it up once it drops to $20 or less. I loved ME1 and it's one of my favourite games of all time. It's one of the few single player games that I've actually finished. I liked ME2 and finished it as well but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, mostly because I found both the characters and story to be less interesting. I only made it past the Mars facility mission in ME3 before calling it quits (I actually did another play through a few months ago and didn't make it much farther). Horrible story and characters and the combat seemed more janky than the previous 2 games. The same pattern followed with the Dragon Age series. Loved DA1 (bad combat and all) and finished it twice. Made it about 3/4 of the way with DA2 and about 1/4 with DA3. Bioware has been going downhill in their game quality for awhile now, for me anyway, and ME:A looks like it's headed in the same direction.
    where does she start defensive though? The only thing I see is mention with the memes and to set mind at ease?

And honestly every time there is a review that gets a decent score on this site trolls come out to cry paid. Honestly its annoying at best. If its a bad score you offend people, if its a good score you still offend people. I wont agree with every score and in this case I don't know if I agree with it yet or not, I don't see why people feel a need to base there buying decision on someone else's opinion. We all know things are over blown on the internet, from what I've heard from friends who have the game is the animation isn't bad most of the time, only in certain instances.
    I don't really care about the score.  I can't say if it's accurate or not because I haven't played the game.  Even if I did, reviews are kind of meant to be subjective opinions, not definitive answers.  It's just the way the review was written and the way some members of the staff have been defending it that have put me off.  It all comes across as just pure fanboyism and they're basically telling people if they have criticisms then to keep it to themselves.
    This is my problem with reviews all reviews not just game reviews. too many people take them as gospel,they are nothing more than an opinion. considering we as people are all different with different tastes reviews dont really mean much. thx for sharing the info i say to all the people who do impressions and reviews but people should really try using that amazing thing we were gifted called a brain!
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Ginaz said:
    Ginaz said:

Yeah I get where your coming from, I guess I didn't see it as an attack on people but more so aggravation from accusations of paid reviews. I still think the point system is out dated and needs a new metric to go by.
    Distopia said:

You're not everyone.... Those things are obviously important to the poster, there was nothing wrong with what they said as it's their own perspective, they're obviously not worried about being stuck in your own personal bubble of what is important.  
    I would argue that if you can't connect and empathize with people who aren't like you, then you're probably a bigot and your opinions don't count for much.

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:

You're joking, right? Social issues have never been more intertwined with politics than they have been in the last few years.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Of course there will be opinionated phrases and of course some will be legit,but with any common sense you can see the bs agenda.

I will post this link for those naive  to see it DOES exist and just because you don't see a lawsuit everyday does not mean it is not happening right under your nose most of the time.
    "use our brain"yes a nice suggestion,albeit intended to be rude,but i suggest one heeds his own advice and pay attention to the world.
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/12/12157310/pewdiepie-youtubers-sponsored-videos-ftc-warner-bros

This is just one part of many explaining the purpose of the FTC and law.
    http://https//www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising/advertisement-endorsements

These are not blogs or a user writing an opinion based thread,these are PAID employees,PAID writers told what game to write on weather they like or even know or care about the game,they are paid to do so..Some writers are better with the bs than others while some are just so blatantly obvious it is sickening that they would treat users with such disrespect.So instead of flaming your fellow user,point your anger at the site for disrespecting your intelligence.

Also before you go defending a paid writer/employee,remember this site self appoints the ability that they KNOW 100% your agenda and call users for trolling or baiting or whatever.NOBODY not one single employee here can make the claim they know the users intent yet  i see other users pointing fingers at users telling they cannot make the same claims and just ACCEPT the opinion.
    So now we are two faced,ok for the site to not just ACCEPT a user's opinion but hey you better accept the writer's opinion as being ONLY opinion OR ELSE !!.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    So far I have over 30 hours in the game, I am truly enjoying it. But then I also enjoyed ME3 ending. My only grip is that your companions are pretty much useless in combat.
    edited March 2017
    I would argue that if you can't connect and empathize with people who aren't like you, then you're probably a bigot and your opinions don't count for much.

Distopia said:

You're joking, right? Social issues have never been more intertwined with politics than they have been in the last few years.

First point: That was my point, how is the original posting not empathizing with anyone else? Applauding representation of others such as gays or lesbians, other races etc is the exact opposite of that. 

Second point... It is brought into politics yes, but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference between politicizing social issues, and talking about social issues. They're not mutually exclusive. The poster didn't politicize the issues they simply applauded inclusion of other lifestyles in a game other than the norm. That's not politicizing it...

It really wouldn't be any different than saying I'm so happy they added people who like yellow sponge cake rather than devil's food... 

Wizardry said:
    Of course there will be opinionated phrases and of course some will be legit,but with any common sense you can see the bs agenda.

I will post this link for those naive  to see it DOES exist and just because you don't see a lawsuit everyday does not mean it is not happening right under your nose most of the time.
    "use our brain"yes a nice suggestion,albeit intended to be rude,but i suggest one heeds his own advice and pay attention to the world.
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/12/12157310/pewdiepie-youtubers-sponsored-videos-ftc-warner-bros

This is just one part of many explaining the purpose of the FTC and law.
    http://https//www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising/advertisement-endorsements

These are not blogs or a user writing an opinion based thread,these are PAID employees,PAID writers told what game to write on weather they like or even know or care about the game,they are paid to do so..Some writers are better with the bs than others while some are just so blatantly obvious it is sickening that they would treat users with such disrespect.So instead of flaming your fellow user,point your anger at the site for disrespecting your intelligence.

Also before you go defending a paid writer/employee,remember this site self appoints the ability that they KNOW 100% your agenda and call users for trolling or baiting or whatever.NOBODY not one single employee here can make the claim they know the users intent yet  i see other users pointing fingers at users telling they cannot make the same claims and just ACCEPT the opinion.
    So now we are two faced,ok for the site to not just ACCEPT a user's opinion but hey you better accept the writer's opinion as being ONLY opinion OR ELSE !!.

Where to even begin with all of this condescending nonsense. First of all, who doesn't know shilling exists? Secondly shilling is usually done in a far more inconspicuous manner than saying "here's my fanboi review".

When the review is telling you up fricking front they're not gonna be objective, what more do you freaking expect than a glaringly positive review that is totally subjective?

This is one major reason why people get "flamed" for their triggered "I'm not a sheep" You're being paidz, you'zes are brainwashing people" nonsense. Unless you can prove it it's a waste of everyone's time. In the end, no matter what, it's just one of hundreds of reviews (of a videogame), which very few are going to go out and buy a game because one person says it's good... Are you?

The other reason is because many people don't like whiners.... Especially those whiners who are going to sit in another's house slinging accusations, calling fouls and then playing victim when they get slapped in the face with the reality of that. Walk in crapping all over anyone's house and see if you don't get the same treatment. Especially someone who's giving you a free place to sling your crap around in...

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Iselin said:
    How's the companion AI and command system?  More ME2 or DA:I??

I literally uninstalled DA:I after, like, 4 fights.  The companion and command system was bush league.  If MEA is better I'll probably end up buying it sometime in the near future.
    They got rid of the pause in combat system for anything other than switching weapons and consumables so I find myself not managing the companions as much as in previous ME games, Other than holding "x" to get them to rally to my position occasionally, I just let them do their own thing, and they're not bad at helping.

Everyone is so obsessed with the character models that I've barely seen any mention of this rather large change that actually affects the game play more fundamentally than any other major change from previous ME and DA games save for the addition of the Z axis with the jump jets.

It changes combat from the traditional Bioware turn-based-under-the-hood way to a faster paced, action system that feels much more like SWTOR than previous MEs or DAs.

I agree 100%. Other than using X to tell them both to go over there or come back here, the lack of meaningful companion placement is bothersome. I also miss being able to equip them with weapons and armor. 

*glares at Drack* Dude is always shoving me aside on his "RAWR......I WILL KILL THEM ALL!" way across the field or getting in the way of my next shot. :|

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Distopia said:

Distopia said:

First point: That was my point, how is the original posting not empathizing with anyone else? Applauding representation of others such as gays or lesbians, other races etc is the exact opposite of that. 

Second point... It is brought into politics yes, but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference between politicizing social issues, and talking about social issues. They're not mutually exclusive. The poster didn't politicize the issues they simply applauded inclusion of other lifestyles in a game other than the norm. That's not politicizing it...

It really wouldn't be any different than saying I'm so happy they added people who like yellow sponge cake rather than devil's food... 
    1: No that wasn't your point. You said it was important to be able to relate to your character's sex and ethnicity for RP.

2: You're being completely dishonest if you're claiming those talking points were not taking a political stance. They could have been copy pasted from any number of Kotaku (an expressly political gaming blog) articles (kind of like parts of the review in question).
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Aori said:

SBFord said:

For those bitching about graphics, let's take a look at the Universal Game for Comparison, or UGC, The Witcher 3

The irony runs deeps wouldn't you say? :D

Hard to compare glitches to design choice. The facial animations is a design choice, for whatever reason they thought it looked ok. This is what most complaints are about.

Also, I've never played any Witcher. I've also haven't played a Bioware game since NWN.

Then what the fuck are you doing here?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I was going to make a new thread but I decided against it as I felt it might turn into a s#%t storm. Might as well keep that here.

Character creation/preset wise, I think that the failings of Mass Effect: Andromeda come from Biowares continued contrived attempts to forcefully diversify the look of the lead role (and random characters created similarly). When I say "diversify" I don't mean ethnically. Does anybody else get the feeling that the character creation is pushing bland (this is my nice way of saying ugly) character looks? Mass Effect has never had a great character creation IMO but, I feel like it's difficult to create "handsome" or "pretty" characters regardless of ethnicity. What the hell is the big deal? Shouldn't there be a choice?

I'm torn about this topic. In movies, and things that represent our collective society I have no problems with breaking typical tropes, I encourage it. In video games I'm a little bit more protective of what I'm being upsold. It's supposed to be my personalized experience right? When I generate my character, I honestly don't need to be taught that regular looking people can be extraordinary. I already know this. I think we as a people get this.

I'm not an SJW anti-warrior, and I don't run around spewing "liberal c#%k" Middle America rhetoric, but I am giving Mass Effect: Andromeda side eye when I look at the default character models.

They're f#%^ing ugly. There I said it. I'm sure they're great people though. Maybe I'm being melodramatic? I need insight from others.

The developer, voice actors, and pretty much the whole substandard ( the writer has never done anything more than fan fiction and the lead animator is some intern DevianArt reject ) team ( not Bioware, ME:A was farmed out to the lowest common denominator cut-rate inhouse studio they could slap a Bioware tag on ) being SJW's and racist ( against whites in particular ) is why the "game" is the sorry piece of shit that it is.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-19/mass-effect-andromeda-sucky-animations-bigoted-designer-and-fugly-females-lead-cance
    Yeah, please spare me. Like I said it's not about racism (especially towards the poor ole white man). I think it's the developers forcing granular diversity onto peoples personal experience. Lore wise I don't have a problem with it AT ALL but when I make MY character I don't want to be nudged towards creating a frumpy soccer mom or an oddball neckbeard. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited March 2017
    1: No that wasn't your point. You said it was important to be able to relate to your character's sex and ethnicity for RP.

2: You're being completely dishonest if you're claiming those talking points were not taking a political stance. They could have been copy pasted from any number of Kotaku (an expressly political gaming blog) articles (kind of like parts of the review in question).
    1. Uh that was my first post, not the one that reply was commenting toward... You're the one not connecting or empathizing with that posters right to their own perspective. As you're the one that has such a problem with what they find important in a modern RPG. Which has nothing what so ever to do with what you find important. That's where you say each to their own and go about your day, not attack them for sharing their own perspective. 

2.. LOL

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Im just going to say this , im not buying the game for 2 reasons

1. Because of some of the racist toxic people involved with this game, I wont support EA Or Bioware

2. Because it is a steming pile of horse sh&^% in my opinion 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2017
    Distopia said:

Distopia said:

What is your goal here, exactly?  Someone said it was easier to make different types of characters, including sexual orientation and ethnicities...  To have more role playing options in a role playing game.  Yet, you're taking issue with that viewpoint why, because it coincides with a larger social movement?

So it does.  It's still simply extra options that you never have to utilize if you don't want.  You CAN make a gay character, you don't have to.  You CAN make a hispanic character, you don't have to.

Someone likes that a ROLE PLAYING game has given them more robust ROLE PLAYING options, and you're miffed because the options are minorites and sexual orientation choices...  Or just miffed that the extra choices aren't more "square-jawed white male" flavors?  Or maybe miffed that the staff here also likes those extra options?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited March 2017
    thunderC said:

1. Because of some of the racist toxic people involved with this game, I wont support EA Or Bioware

Oooooo, racist, toxic people? Do tell!!! I haven't heard of any of this. 

*nerfed*

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

thunderC said:

I know of one racial incident tied to this game's team, which that person no longer works there, what other issues are you referring to? Or was saying "there was this one guy" not convincing enough for even yourself? 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    @CrazKanuk - Keep it on Mass Effect and out of politics please. You said "without turning this political" and your entire post IS political. 

@thunderC Same.

Please stick to the topic at hand.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯