Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes Statesman Lives Again & Closed Beta Dated - MXM: Master X Master - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ragusxxiragusxxi Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Not trying to be that guy, but... does anyone actually think NCSoft actually reads these forums? Or, for that matter, really gives 2 ape shits about anything here?

Soulless as they are, we're wasting time being angry at someone who isn't paying attention. It's like YOU taking poison and waiting for THEM to die. Don't buy the game, don't go anywhere near it. Let the numbers speak for themselves.
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    OMG. No. Bleh
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141

So this is why they held onto the IP, so they could use the characters in their other shitty games? 

This is a kick to the face for CoH fans, and it's got to suck even worse for Jack Emmert, seeing his creation and in-game alter ego being used like this. Absolutely disgusting. NCSoft can go bleep themselves with rusty iron pineapples covered in bees. 

I doubt Jack cares all that much. He dropped the whole thing to pursue Champions Online back in the day after all xD

Then went to DCUO.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    This is all about the successor projects.

Just to remind them that NCsoft owns the IP and don't get too close to OUR IP or there WILL be trouble. See? We are still using OUR IP, so keep your distance...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    ragusxxi said:
    Not trying to be that guy, but... does anyone actually think NCSoft actually reads these forums? Or, for that matter, really gives 2 ape shits about anything here?

Soulless as they are, we're wasting time being angry at someone who isn't paying attention. It's like YOU taking poison and waiting for THEM to die. Don't buy the game, don't go anywhere near it. Let the numbers speak for themselves.
    Do you really think anyone here thinks they're talking to people at NCSoft?
    Have no interest in communicating with NCSoft at all, but it would not be much of a surprise to find out that they do take an interest in websites such as this one, indeed it would be naive indeed to suggest that they don't.
    As for NCSofts MOBA using characters from COH/COV.. its really no more controversial than putting same characters in a pachinko game, and likely to have the same negative impact if you happen to have been a fan of the games they were taken from, J Geils band put it best with their song Centrefold :p
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Please show me on the dolly where the bad NC soft touched you. Its their IP they can do what they want with it. If all the ppl who I hear constantly crying about CoH were still paying customers then its likely they would not have turned out the lights.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    So this is why they held onto the IP, so they could use the characters in their other shitty games? 

While I don't think that it's "classy" to use the character in this matter, there is a bit of irony in what you say.

They are using "their" character in "their" games. Well, of course they are! It's their IP why wouldn't they use their own assets?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

toolak said:

Please show me on the dolly where the bad NC soft touched you. Its their IP they can do what they want with it. If all the ppl who I hear constantly crying about CoH were still paying customers then its likely they would not have turned out the lights.

It is well documented that COH was PROFITABLE when NC shut it down. In game protests were had, and attempts to purchase IP were made. If there ever was a case of a company being F&^%$#S to fans, the closure of CoH by NC is it.

There are at minimum 2 viable fan built (Kickstarters) that are coming to fruition now.

Which is why I suspect NC is putting States in, to keep IP "active". (as plenty have already said)

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    edited March 2017
    Bring back City of Heroes and you have my wife, me and my 2 kids paying instantly....
    Anything else is nice but not COH
    This game doesnt bother any of us....
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Wow this is really kind of a slap in the face for COH fans. This is really surprising that Ncsoft would do this. Its an EA type of move.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Sovrath said:

Banegrivm said:

Uh, wow, I am flabbergasted. Why in God's name would they bring in Statesman and keep the game shut down? It seems really foolish to me to bring in a character for a game that is dead and not coming back. I think this is like pouring salt into an open wound. People who played CoH still love it and would love for it to come back. There are groups everywhere on Facebook for CoH where people still talk about the game. This is a sad move on NC $oft's part.

I think it's hoping to play on the nostalgia that City of Heroes players might still have.

It's going to piss off more people than it brings in.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    ragusxxi said:

True, I highly doubt anyone directly connected to NCsoft reads these forums for insight into their customers both current and potential. It's also true that NCsoft won't give two shits about anything that's said here. They didn't give two shits when people tried to get them to keep CoH running or sell the IP so why should they care now?

Finally, it is also true that we're wasting our time being angry and bitter at NCsoft, especially when they aren't paying attention. But by god, it's our time to waste and we currently have adequate freedom here at MMORPG.com to say ugly things about the company that pissed us off.

Have a nice day. :)

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141

Haha, damn, those CoH people were not playing about voting this game down. I dont know how this could help their cause, to get CoH running, but it is damn funny. Like I said, I dont know what they were thinking releasing a guy whom only CoH fans know, this did more damage than good.

Maybe GladDog is on to something though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I see where this is all really leading.....

The new COH "Survival" game.

Why not, everyone's making one, look at Funcoms success with an iconic IP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZakaneZakane Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Wow...just...seriously ncsoft. You took away the "best" super hero mmo from us then this...

I am really thinking game developer just don't care anymore.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Afte rhaving seen about 5 different adds for their bastard game using Statesman for the adds.. like he is a core part of the game.

that is *bleeep* dirty

This have been a good conversation

• DolnorDolnor Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Same old "Fu players...we have the POWER to do as we please" attitude. Telling everyone to stay away from this game.

TQQdles™
  • TogneyTogney Member UncommonPosts: 6
    This could have been good if it wasn't a MOBA and was the return of CoX. Boo on you NCSoft.
  • lawlesslasslawlesslass Member UncommonPosts: 1
    should we bend over...this feels like a fuck you :(
  • vallerainthvallerainth Member CommonPosts: 2
    Even IF I had considered putting money into MXM the Statesman addition would have negated it. Why open old wounds? Bring the game back or sell the IP rights.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
     vallerainth said:
    Even IF I had considered putting money into MXM the Statesman addition would have negated it. Why open old wounds? Bring the game back or sell the IP rights.

Welllllll, that's the thing. If they sell the IP then they can't put CoH characters, that they own, into other games such as MxM. Yet NCsoft still hasn't realized that 90% of gamers now consider their closure of CoH and Paragon Studios a near-total dick move and anything they do with CoH characters, outside of a dedicated CoH game, to be nothing but game-market poison.

In my view, I theorize that NCsoft's "restructuring" was done to satisfy a short-term bottom-line of costs Vs. income. In order to save some money they killed CoH and Paragon Studios because they could afford to. They only paid attention to the money right there in front of their faces. Nobody bothered to think of what it would mean for them five years down the road. They weren't thinking of all the profits they'd be missing out on due to the continued boycotting from former CoH players and even some non CoH players.

There are two phrases you just might hear here in the U.S. - "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Pearl Harbor". We say these things as a way of reminding ourselves . . . we remind ourselves that we can't afford to forget a brutal ass-kicking and the loss associated with it. NCsoft dealt a lot of people a low-blow and the hatred that resulted from it has been simmering all this time. Those suits in Korea thought we'd all just move on to the next game and forget about it. They didn't think about just how much gamers could love their game/s, their heroes (and villains) and their communities. Most importantly though: those suits didn't think about just how long people could hold a grudge. I'd bet my entire life savings that there's more than two people on this Earth still wishing they could fly to South Korea and firebomb NCsoft corporate headquarters to the point it was nothing but a charred, smoking frame of twisted steel and melted glass.

Ahh, such sweet sweet dreams. B)

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Four0Six said:

toolak said:

It is well documented that COH was PROFITABLE when NC shut it down. In game protests were had, and attempts to purchase IP were made. If there ever was a case of a company being F&^%$#S to fans, the closure of CoH by NC is it.

There are at minimum 2 viable fan built (Kickstarters) that are coming to fruition now.

Which is why I suspect NC is putting States in, to keep IP "active". (as plenty have already said)

Sooo are you saying that corporation disabled a fully viable and profitable project only to piss fans? That some nice imagination. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited March 2017
    aliven said:
    Four0Six said:

toolak said:

Sooo are you saying that corporation disabled a fully viable and profitable project only to piss fans? That some nice imagination. 
    Its NCsoft. That is what they do. They wanted to make a quick buck (which they profited (short term profit anyway) from closing down CoH). 

They sabotaged Tabula Rasa, and the court was NOT in their favor...making them GUILTY

They refused to do any advertising at all for Auto Assault, because they were too focused on Wildstar

They are the scum of MMO companies

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    aliven said:
    Four0Six said:

toolak said:

Its NCsoft. That is what they do. They wanted to make a quick buck (which they profited (short term profit anyway) from closing down CoH). 

They sabotaged Tabula Rasa, and the court was NOT in their favor...making them GUILTY

They refused to do any advertising at all for Auto Assault, because they were too focused on Wildstar

They are the scum of MMO companies
    That COH/COV was profitable up until its closure, and could in fact have become more profitable had they worked on content/upgrading the game, was inconvenient.

Now however, they get to reap what they sow, actions will always have consequences. :o
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Phry said:

That COH/COV was profitable up until its closure, and could in fact have become more profitable had they worked on content/upgrading the game, was inconvenient.

Now however, they get to reap what they sow, actions will always have consequences. :o
    How many times do we have to explain that "making money" is not the same as "making ENOUGH money". Sure I can agree to that CoH.. Being an outside product probably was held to a much higher standard as far as profit went than let's say... Lineage. 

From what I saw the game was in decline in general. Sure the F2P switch did bring in people but Going Rogue did not do as well as expected and it failed to revitalise the game. You still saw the same faces and the same names online. The game also lacked much in the end-game department. 

In short, I would perhaps make the same decision. Ask myself if it is worth investing a few million more in this game to bring it up to the level of its competitors? Or do I just shutter it and focus on the company's own franchises. 

I agree this MxM move is scummy as fuck tho. 

This have been a good conversation