Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For all you graphics mongers.

2»

Comments

• chaz583chaz583 Member Posts: 29

Well another noob talking crap - I've never played a game like RV it is simply the best MMO ever made, when you are in game the gpx are absolutely fine but unfortunately the screenshots don't do the game any justice.

But what other game has anything near the features and immersion of RV? None of them come close & to think the devs have achieved this on a fraction of their competitors budgets - I believe RV could make game of the year by 2007 because it is the light at the end of a dark tunnel of poor MMO's.

So booch, go enjoy your kiddy eye candy games, with nothing to do but grind and perhaps when you grow up and are desperate to play a real MMO you'll realise just how much of a fool you are.

It's idiots like you that ensure devs make game's for kiddies with instancing, total level grind, oh but it looks so pretty mummy - please get it for me.

N00b!

• lordgonzolordgonzo Member Posts: 6

I don´t get it, why should the developers release screenshots that doesn´t compare with the ingame graphics? If the graphics are so good ingame, please take a screenshot and upload it anyware so we can check it out too.

• TrakenTraken Member Posts: 172

The reason they haven't been released is that they haven't been taken. The server is forcing clients to the bare minimum (or whatever they want tested at the time) so they can test other things. Graphics is a low-priority for RB next to playibility.

• BoochBooch Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by chaz583
    Well another noob talking crap - I've never played a game like RV it is simply the best MMO ever madeN00b!

You completely discredit yourself with that statement. Don't be a lemming, demand stability and a game that's dressed properly (which is indeed a measure of the game's finish quality). Name-calling is childish and I certainly won't stoop to that level but the RV apologists here ensure that they will at least have a couple subscribers.....lol.

But I digress, I hope for the best with the game but early indications are really not promising. I was a beta-tester in a "live" game for SOE (SWG) for a year and I really don't want to go through that again. Growing pains only exist because of a rush to the finish or simply poor development. I see a bit of the latter here but hope I'm mistaken.

• tankboy27tankboy27 Member Posts: 2
    There's no need for name calling man grow up . I love the game paly and the immersion of this game but to keep Gameplayers for the longterm it also needs to look like it was produced in 2006 and not 1996
  • iSacrificeiSacrifice Member Posts: 7

Ok now that all the name calling is out of the way....

When it comes to computer games be it Online and Non-Online games there are 3 things that must be there for most people to play it. In the market that we live in now a game that only has game play going for it the company needs to re-evaluate its design. If you are banking on game play being the bases for your marketing of the game you need to do more R&D on market trends.

As a gamer myself obviously as I am on this site. I have been a gamer ever since I was a kid that being around 27 years. That means that I have seen all the changes being good and bad in the gaming market. I have seen games evolve over the many years so I know what makes a good game and what is needed and not needed. I kind of make it my second job to keep and eye and an ear open to the trends and buzz of the gaming industry. Which all gaming development companies should be doing.

The point of this reply is this. Roma Victor is a game that boast great game play and they are focusing on making it the best in its genre. Great I am glad that they are focusing on game play I am glad they realize that game play is important. But there is one thing that they have missed is that in todays market as a WHOLE gamers need more then just game play. It looks as though they have totally missed the other 2 factors that make a game. From what I have read from there forums they are going for a realistic look and feel. Well if they are trying to do that they are not quite there yet. There graphics are in no ways remotely realistic. They claim that all the screens are with graphics on low. That really does not matter for I am about 99% sure that turning the graphics up high is going to solve there models problem. If anything turning graphics on high might give you some better lighting and foliage and AA. But that is about it as far as that goes. Also from what I have read the sounds and music are really not that well done as well. Those are the 2 other factors that they have dropped the ball on.

They say that they are marketing there game to a very specific group of gamers. Well I hope you understand that group is going to be pretty dam small. Which if that is what your goal is then great you are well on your way. But from a company standpoint I cannot see anyone doing that. They would want there product to reach as many people as possible so they can see how great of a product that it is. People say that this game has the potential to reach game of the year by 2007 I think you are wrong and I am sorry but you really need to educate yourself on the gaming market and its trends. In todays market to make a game and have it get "Game of the Year" requires a lot more then just game play. To get game of the year you have to have the whole package. Now you ask well what is the Whole package mister I think I know what gaming trends are well here is what the WHOLE PACKAGE consists of this is right off of MMORPG's site:

Graphics - Sound - Role Playing - Value - Fun - Community - Performance / Lag - Customer Service

From that list I can see areas that they are going to most likely fail on big time. That being Sound and Graphics which I am sorry are some of the biggest things most gamers need in the gaming market that we live in today. This game really does not have that much to offer to a mature seasoned gamer. Why do you think so many people are posting about how much they dislike the way the game looks and feels. Now I know that they are not a huge gaming studio and they do not have a lot of funding but that should not be used as an excuse. I think it is just general lack of experience that is the biggest problem with the developers. Which hey is not a bad thing they are new to this market and they are still learning so maybe there next game will be better. Here is hoping!!

I know this is a long post and I am sorry for that and I hope that you enjoyed the read I know I enjoyed writing it. :)

• Armi1991Armi1991 Member Posts: 2

Guys guys (and gals possibly I dunno)...
    In answer to the last post in the forum RedBedlam can afford to only appeal to a small part of gamers. Since they are aiming for the more mature group they will get dedicated players who will put money into the VERM, instead of L33T people who would not put money in. Also since they are only a small company the money they have put into this game will not be a huge amount. I have pre-ordered the game and I can say that that screenshot is old.

You say that gameplay doesn't make games any more, but if it didn't have gameplay then the game if screwed really. RedBedlam is the most community aware company I have ever seen, almost everything asked for is considered, and I admit that interface is horrible but the interface that is used at the moment, (I seriously hope I'm not breaking the NDA lol), is much better. I don't see how you can judge the sound of a game from a screenshot, but I think this game will be great, a truly great realistic MMO, to be honest I don't think these graphics are much worse than other MMORPGs out there, where the companies have money to put into such things.

I got some of my friends interested in this game and a few of them are pre-ordered and the others are waiting for the final product first. (I'm only 14 but I'm a gamer who has been addicted to many a game, and before you attack how old I am please remember, "age is not a sign of maturity.")

For a first real crack at a game I think these guys are doing better than most, and if they make more games in the future I will definately be interested.

I'll just do some marks out of 10 for your different game elements on what I expect, not hope but expect the game to be like.
    Graphics 7 - Sound 8 - Role Playing 10 - Value 10 - Fun 9 - Community 7/8 - Performance / Lag 9 - Customer Service 10

For the value bit, it's only £15 to pre-order, and you are not forced to pay a monthly fee, although VERM will be popular because it's gonna be dedicated players playing who will not be afraid to spend a little money to gain some funds.

• AiglosAiglos Member Posts: 6

On this, i agree with Armi1991.  These graphics really aren't that bad when compared with other popular MMO's.  Look at Runescape, Maplestory...etc. and how their popularity has risen.  Also, the staff has stated that the screenshots are taken on the lowest graphic settings possible for testing purposes, so we haven't even seen the best of Roma Victor's graphics yet.

And lets face it, graphics aren't everything.  The content of the game is HUGELY important.  This game looks to be very in depth, well researched, and realistic.  All you need is to take a look at the amazing skills list on their website.

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Armi1991

RedBedlam is the most community aware company I have ever seen, almost everything asked for is considered, and I admit that interface is horrible but the interface that is used at the moment, (I seriously hope I'm not breaking the NDA lol),

Actually, simply mentioning you're part of the test is a violation of the test agreement.  image

We're so community aware...we're aware of other communities outside our own.  image

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• Armi1991Armi1991 Member Posts: 2

Shit sorry Kanoth, I really should read the NDA properly. But at least people are agreeing with me ::::31::

• MochnantMochnant Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Traken
    The reason they haven't been released is that they haven't been taken. The server is forcing clients to the bare minimum (or whatever they want tested at the time) so they can test other things. Graphics is a low-priority for RB next to playibility.

I don't think I follow the logic there. The developers have the ability to take these high quality screen shots. Assuming that these high quality graphics exist. It would not take long. I don't believe they exist, and I think what you see is just about what you're going to get.

Otherwise, we'd have to believe that RB is in a position to silence the critics but can't be bothered to take even 1 or 2 good shots among the hundreds then seem to flood us with. It just doesn't make sense.

I think that they are *hoping* to get to tweaking the graphics, but haven't yet. And I stress the word *tweak*.

That said, I hope they can find a small niche and make a profit at what they are doing. If the game turns out to be fun I might even do my part to help.

Originally posted by Mochnant

Originally posted by Traken

I don't think I follow the logic there. The developers have the ability to take these high quality screen shots. Assuming that these high quality graphics exist. It would not take long. I don't believe they exist, and I think what you see is just about what you're going to get.

Otherwise, we'd have to believe that RB is in a position to silence the critics but can't be bothered to take even 1 or 2 good shots among the hundreds then seem to flood us with. It just doesn't make sense.

I think that they are *hoping* to get to tweaking the graphics, but haven't yet. And I stress the word *tweak*.

That said, I hope they can find a small niche and make a profit at what they are doing. If the game turns out to be fun I might even do my part to help.

Compared to a dynamic economy and actual game play that engages players, graphic improvements are a cake walk.  They will continue to improve up to launch, and will continue to do so after (when we can afford to have more than one guy working in the graphics department) ;)  It's your right to be skeptical, and I would be too frankly.  We'll all see when the time comes. 

- Kanoth

• sjamPsjamP Member Posts: 34

I believe the graphics are going to be way better than any screens we've seen yet, but still if it won't, I won't be the least concerned really. The game shows so much potential gameplay wise, and is way more appealing than any other MMOG out there - the current graphics could actualy just enhance that:

The gameplay will hopefully be the best ever, but due to the graphics all the people who HAS to use at least one number instead of a letter in nearly every single word, will be kept out. They can just stick with their World of Warcraft and let the rest of us have fun in Roma Victor :)

• CeraphimCeraphim Member UncommonPosts: 21

SWG should be PLENTY of proof that graphics don't make a game.

Redbedlam has their ducks in order and deserve to be commended on their priorities at this stage in the process.

I say well done.

Ceraphim

• kitty4200kitty4200 Member Posts: 3
    good luck Redbedlam staff with release of roma victor
  • khragkhrag Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by Tranquility

If they deliver the gameplay they promise, i dont care at all about the graphics/

Here, here!

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
    --Aristotle

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I'm another that couldn't care less about the graphics.

Gameplay is paramount!

My favorite game of all time is Alternate Reality: The City specifically for the Atari 800.  The game has superb, highly challenging, highly rewarding, reasonably believable gameplay, so even though the graphics are 21 years old it does not matter, nothing compares to it.

My favorite MMOG is the original Ultima Online, which has only 2d graphics, but I would love nothing more than to still be playing it if the gameplay had not been destroyed in favor of selling pixels and boxes to consensual only fans and trying to copycat other games.  I would have remained a loyal customer to the original game indefinitely had EA not ruined it.  And I would have done so, not because of the graphics, but because the gameplay was outstanding.

The same will be true of Roma Victor, if the gameplay is excellent and the environment is reasonably believable, I will have found a new game to play, possibly a new favorite, and will be dedicated to it as long as it maintains high standards rather than focusing on pretty graphics for the lowest common denominator.

Sometimes focusing too much on detailed or pretty graphics can actually hinder a game and waste development time.

• scubastevescubasteve Member Posts: 31
    Im sure the graphics wont be a problem for me even if they May or May not suck completely since.... i still enjoy playing MUDS still =D

pwnt

• shallyshally Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Redbdlam try to make a good job and i think on the release the garphics will look just fine, i will play this for the ideea of the game,  becouse it is unique and is all i want from a mmorpg.
  • EchoroxEchorox Member Posts: 37
    I understand you guys are fanboys, thats cool.  Theres something out there all of us are passionate about, and will defend, regardless of how irrational it is.  But, where does this assumption that gameplay and good graphics can not go hand in hand?  If your willing to pay the same amount for this game as you would for any other recent Mmorpg, aren't you entitled to the graphic goodness that this generation should supply?  I see alot of you bringing up games that aren't so good in the graphic department, and yet many of the ones you name, UO for one, were great at the time of their release.  Sure, they crapped out over time, but the developers put their best foot on the market to start.  If you care so much more about gameplay than graphics theres like 5000000 muds out there that would love your business and im willing to bet they won't charge ya for the heaping helping of gameplay.
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Sure, its always nice to have pretty graphics, they attract people, but graphics do not make the game and have nothing to do with the game mechanics, which is what will keep people playing.
  • HyborianHeroHyborianHero Member Posts: 33
    Looks good enough for me.
  • I think Roma Victor is just like Ultima Online, old graphic but has pretty nice gameplay.. I guess. I've got a trial ages ago and I didn't know how to play it lol. Not very user friendly IMO.

That's what the Wiki and forums are for.  We're very good at answering questions. 

- Kanoth