Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Wanted Mass Effect 4 But Got Something Better - Mass Effect: Andromeda Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017
    JeroKane said:

Exactly. Everyone that has played (even more times over) the ME trilogy must be able see what a huge step backwards ME:Adromeda is in Production quality.

I am a longterm member of MMORPG.com and love this community, but I am currently highly dissapointed in this review and how they let EA/BW get away with releasing such a shoddy, shockingly unpolished, clearly rushed product!

But what really takes the cake is how the staff is now in attack mode against their own members, making fun of them and attacking them of being over dramatic about the issues this game has and that it's perfectly acceptable for a big AAA studio like EA and Bioware to release a product in such a state!

And then they keep being shocked and suprised when People bring up suspicion of them getting paid for a glowing review.  Well..... duhhh /facepalm

This is one of the better reviews out there so far:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14961928/mass-effect-andromeda-review-xbox-ps4-pc
    ME-1 (the only one I've finished)..wasn't all that impressive technically, the movement was awkward, the combat quite silly really, as it was some hodgepodge of shooting and autoaim that made no real sense (kinda reminded me of SWG's NGE combat). The animations mostly poor, especially the floaty aspect of walking, the level design was horrible, especially non-combat zones, like the citadel and other ports of interest. As they were mostly just corridors that had no real exploration what so ever.

Don't even need to mention the driving mechanics as they were completely laughable. 

ME2 which I now have on my PC because it was free recently didn't improve on this stuff all that much outside of doing away with driving, and making combat a bit better. It still has lots of stone faced animations, weird facial expressions, floaty movement controls etc... Most facial options in both are also weird as all hell... Especially once you get in game and see it from different angles. 

Hence why I find most of the vitriol about the current game odd..... This stuff has never been their strong suit, same with quest design and stuff like that as it's always been repetitive, and essentially teh same mission in every single game they've ever done, find these people then fight the big bad...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Distopia said:
    JeroKane said:
    Kiyonori said:
    Bioware is nothing but a shell of what it once was. It is "Bioware" in name only. All the talent that made the past games so good (before ME3, really) is gone. In it's place we have inexperienced people with an agenda.

I'm happy for those that enjoy it, I suppose the same way I'm happy for those that enjoy watching paint dry. I don't mean to imply my tastes are better than anyone elses, but what this company has become, and where it is headed bothers me a great deal.

I wish I haden't played their first games, then perhaps I could enjoy their latest offerings much more without the comparisons constantly being drawn at every corner, but then I would have been robbed of an actual lovingly crafted experience, so I guess it's a mixed bag either way.

My face is tired.

Exactly. Everyone that has played (even more times over) the ME trilogy must be able see what a huge step backwards ME:Adromeda is in Production quality.

I am a longterm member of MMORPG.com and love this community, but I am currently highly dissapointed in this review and how they let EA/BW get away with releasing such a shoddy, shockingly unpolished, clearly rushed product!

But what really takes the cake is how the staff is now in attack mode against their own members, making fun of them and attacking them of being over dramatic about the issues this game has and that it's perfectly acceptable for a big AAA studio like EA and Bioware to release a product in such a state!

And then they keep being shocked and suprised when People bring up suspicion of them getting paid for a glowing review.  Well..... duhhh /facepalm

This is one of the better reviews out there so far:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14961928/mass-effect-andromeda-review-xbox-ps4-pc
    ME-1 (the only one I've finished)..wasn't all that impressive technically, the movement was awkward, the combat quite silly really, as it was some hodgepodge of shooting and autoaim that made no real sense (kinda reminded me of SWG's NGE combat). The animations mostly poor, especially the floaty aspect of walking, the level design was horrible, especially none combat zones, like the citadel and other ports of interest. As they were mostly just corridors that had no real exploration what so ever.

Don't even need to mention the driving mechanics as they were completely laughable. 

ME2 which I now have on my PC because it was free recently didn't improve on this stuff all that much outside of doing away with driving, and making combat a bit better. It still has lots of stone faced animations, weird facial expressions, floaty movement controls etc... Most facial options in both are also weird as all hell... Especially once you get in game and see it from different angles. 

Hence why I find most of the vitriol about the current game odd..... This stuff has never been their strong suit, same with quest design and stuff like that as it's always been repetitive, and essentially teh same mission in every single game they've ever done, find these people then fight the big bad...

The thing is. You have to put each ME game in perspective to it's time of release.

Every game had it's issues, but were completely overshadowed by Incredible story writing and impressive voice acting!
    There was so much going on in the original ME trilogy! So much drama, emotion, character attachment.

That is what made the original trilogy so Incredible.

But with Mass Effect:Adromeda. There is just no comparible story and quality of voice acting to overshadow all the problems this game has.

The writing is so inconsistent. The voice acting...............my god! What in earth happened?

The drama, emotion, character attachment...... it's just not there. And yes, then the almost amateuristic facial animations isn't helping here, compounding the issues even more.

In this time and day, when you have games like Horizon:Zero Dawn and Zelda:Breath of the Wild launching alongside it.
    Those two games clearly show a labor of love! 

Not so with ME:Adromeda. It seems there has been more drama behind the scenes among employees, what inevitably resulted in this mess of a game. /sigh
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    cheyane said:
    Just to lighten the mood in this thread.  My wife texted me from work today and asked me "How's your Mass Reflect game going?"  Lol.
    So the wife is at work while you're at home playing. That's like me the housewife. B)
    I'm retired and work part time.  Today just happened to be my day off.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Been playing most of the day.  Fantastic game in my opinion.  Very few bugs and they are all minor.  Once in a while the AI gets confused.  Ran it at 4k to start(PC), but scaled down to 2k for better performance.  Looks gorgeous at either resolution.  This game is much better than the previous games in this series, people do not know what they are talking about when they say a prior version was better.  This version has so much more good content and is far more open world.

For all the whiners you are missing a really great game IMO.
    JeroKane said:
    pc
    ME-1 (the only one I've finished)..wasn't all that impressive technically, the movement was awkward, the combat quite silly really, as it was some hodgepodge of shooting and autoaim that made no real sense (kinda reminded me of SWG's NGE combat). The animations mostly poor, especially the floaty aspect of walking, the level design was horrible, especially none combat zones, like the citadel and other ports of interest. As they were mostly just corridors that had no real exploration what so ever.

The thing is. You have to put each ME game in perspective to it's time of release.

Every game had it's issues, but were completely overshadowed by Incredible story writing and impressive voice acting!
    There was so much going on in the original ME trilogy! So much drama, emotion, character attachment.

That is what made the original trilogy so Incredible.

But with Mass Effect:Adromeda. There is just no comparible story and quality of voice acting to overshadow all the problems this game has.

The writing is so inconsistent. The voice acting...............my god! What in earth happened?

The drama, emotion, character attachment...... it's just not there. And yes, then the almost amateuristic facial animations isn't helping here, compounding the issues even more.

In this time and day, when you have games like Horizon:Zero Dawn and Zelda:Breath of the Wild launching alongside it.
    Those two games clearly show a labor of love! 

Not so with ME:Adromeda. It seems there has been more drama behind the scenes among employees, what inevitably resulted in this mess of a game. /sigh
    You say this like there weren't many games that did all of that stuff better at the time they released. Especially Japanese devs, which animation and things like that have always been strong from those studios (companies such as nintendo)...

I can't comment on andromeda as I haven't played it, I'm sure I'll get a chance since my wife is a huge fan, and she's moved to PC gaming from consoles.. so if she gets it, I'll be able to install it as well. 

The fact that it's open world has me wanting to give it a spin. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited March 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    Been playing most of the day.  Fantastic game in my opinion.  Very few bugs and they are all minor.  Once in a while the AI gets confused.  Ran it at 4k to start(PC), but scaled down to 2k for better performance.  Looks gorgeous at either resolution.  This game is much better than the previous games in this series, people do not know what they are talking about when they say a prior version was better.  This version has so much more good content and is far more open world.

People said the same thing about Dragon Age:Inquisition.

And sure, the first couple hours in were completely amazing. Terrific story and drama sucking you right in, but the climax came so quick and then after couple hours you got your Castle...................... ..............................................and then everything just fell flat like a huge anti-climax!
    It just turned into a boring quest grind, with most quests being boring, unimaginative, huge time sink filler content.

What a let down that was. Never managed to finish that game out of sheer boredom and tedium. :(

A lot of reviews are now saying the exact same thing about ME:Adromeda. It being DA:I in space.
    And what I have seen of all the gameplay walkthrough videos, it feels exactly that. I was not impressed.

The original trilogy was not perfect either on the technical part, but at least made more than up for it by the amazing story, writing skills and voice acting! Those were all top notch and made the trilogy such a success.
    The climax build-up was fantastic.... building up all the way to the end, keeping you engaged all the way, unable to stop.

And that is the difference here. When you have such an amazing story, writing skills and top notch voice acting. Then technical imperfections and issues are easily overlooked and ignored.
  • Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Why would EA pay for a review on this website rather than IGN or Gamespot? I have read multiple accusations on this discussion thread saying that it must be a paid review because every reviewer has given it a bad score, which it patently untrue. This game is a classic example of what they call a mixed review.

Most criticisms against the game seem to stem from the fact that Bioware hasn't updated their formula enough. This was a nonissue for me, as I love the classic Bioware formula, hence why I bought the game. It has so far delivered everything I come to expect from Bioware based on playing every game they have released since Baldur’s Gate. I could careless that it doesn't play like Horizon Zero Dawn, because I went in expecting Mass Effect, and its playing pretty much exactly like a Mass Effect game. I'm glade there are games like Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn for me to play; however, I don't need every action rpg to resemble them. When I buy a Mass Effect game, I do not expect them to reinvent the wheel, but give me the Mass Effect experience, which this game gives in spades.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Distopia said:
    Do yourself a treat.

Buy a used Wii U or what have you, and play Zelda BotW for an awesome open world experience.

It's a real shame its an exclusive. Anyone who's a fan of open world games should experience it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Distopia said:
    Do yourself a treat.

Buy a used Wii U or what have you, and play Zelda BotW for an awesome open world experience.

It's a real shame its an exclusive. Anyone who's a fan of open world games should experience it.
    How much does the U run nowadays? Not that I'm broke, it's just buying a whole console for one game is not something I normally do. That game does look fun though. 

edited March 2017
    JeroKane said:
    Ozmodan said:

People said the same thing about Dragon Age:Inquisition.

And sure, the first couple hours in were completely amazing. Terrific story and drama sucking you right in, but the climax came so quick and then after couple hours you got your Castle...................... ..............................................and then everything just fell flat like a huge anti-climax!
    It just turned into a boring quest grind, with most quests being boring, unimaginative, huge time sink filler content.

What a let down that was. Never managed to finish that game out of sheer boredom and tedium. :(

A lot of reviews are now saying the exact same thing about ME:Adromeda. It being DA:I in space.
    And what I have seen of all the gameplay walkthrough videos, it feels exactly that. I was not impressed.

The original trilogy was not perfect either on the technical part, but at least made more than up for it by the amazing story, writing skills and voice acting! Those were all top notch and made the trilogy such a success.
    The climax build-up was fantastic.... building up all the way to the end, keeping you engaged all the way, unable to stop.

And that is the difference here. When you have such an amazing story, writing skills and top notch voice acting. Then technical imperfections and issues are easily overlooked and ignored.
    So far you and a few others complaining about this game have had zero hands on with it.  Imo that makes your opinion kind of worthless.  I have 16 hours in the game so far and pretty much all your talking points are moot.  Game runs flawlessly, animations are fine 98% of the time.  And it's obvious they've learned their lesson from DA:I.  Come back when you have actually played the game and then I might take anything you say with some merit.
    Post edited by MrMelGibson on
    edited March 2017

So far you a few others complaining about this game have had zero hands on with it.  Imo that makes your opinion kind of worthless.  I have 16 hours in the game so far and pretty much all your talking points are moot.  Game runs flawlessly, animations are fine 98% of the time.  And it's obvious they've learned their lesson from DA:I.  Come back when you have actually played the game and then I might take anything you say with some merit.
    Here I was thinking the guy had actually played (prior to that post) considering how much he's panning everything about the game and saying the story is bad. Instead it was simple confirmation bias, as it's obvious he had preconceived worries (it being like DA:I) then he found a review that was fulfilling to his prophecy. Oh well , if he misses a game he might have enjoyed because someone else said he wouldn't, that's only his loss in the end... gamers.... 

The thing I don't get is, I still haven't really seen a truly horrible review yet, while I'm sure they exist, most have complaints, yet in the end give it a 7 or above. Which says to me it's average to good, yet not great, which is fine. They can't all be home runs...

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    JeroKane said:

I'm sorry? The last staff post was on page 4...well, till now anyway. O.o Given that was over 7 pages ago, that's hardly full attack mode. ;)

We stand by the integrity of our reviewer and the review itself.

Just as you've always heard, "Your results may vary." Not everyone will love MEA. Some people will. Most will be somewhere between. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Distopia said:
    laserit said:
    Distopia said:
    Do yourself a treat.

How much does the U run nowadays? Not that I'm broke, it's just buying a whole console for one game is not something I normally do. That game does look fun though. 
    $199 in canuck bucks for a refurbished one from EB Games (Gamestop Canada)

Thats about $25 usd

naw just kidding... its about $150 usd ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Whats ME ? 
    edited March 2017
    laserit said:
    $199 in canuck bucks for a refurbished one from EB Games (Gamestop Canada)

Thats about $25 usd

naw just kidding... its about $150 usd ;)
    Been looking... mostly in the $250 range US. My wife has a PS3 and a bunch of games which would probably knock a nice chunk off :)... I'll have to talk to her. She might actually get real use out of it beyond zelda. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    How's the companion AI and command system?  More ME2 or DA:I??

I literally uninstalled DA:I after, like, 4 fights.  The companion and command system was bush league.  If MEA is better I'll probably end up buying it sometime in the near future.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    How to see when reviewers get bought by companies.

Makes me sad.
    Asch126 said:

Makes me sad.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Asch126 said:

Makes me sad.
    Because Bioware/EA would really pay an mmorpg website to give them a good review...
    Gorwe said:
    Ozmodan said:

Yeah, it looks good. And looking good = being good. This 4k gimmick needs to stop. Otherwise we might as well sacrifice gameplay on the altar of vanity(oh, right, graphics). I have nothing against ME:A. But your argument reads like my first two sentences here. Very, very shallow.
    "Been playing most of the day. "  Guess you missed that part.  I understand.  After all it was only the very first sentence lol.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I was going to make a new thread but I decided against it as I felt it might turn into a s#%t storm. Might as well keep that here.

Character creation/preset wise, I think that the failings of Mass Effect: Andromeda come from Biowares continued contrived attempts to forcefully diversify the look of the lead role (and random characters created similarly). When I say "diversify" I don't mean ethnically. Does anybody else get the feeling that the character creation is pushing bland (this is my nice way of saying ugly) character looks? Mass Effect has never had a great character creation IMO but, I feel like it's difficult to create "handsome" or "pretty" characters regardless of ethnicity. What the hell is the big deal? Shouldn't there be a choice?

I'm torn about this topic. In movies, and things that represent our collective society I have no problems with breaking typical tropes, I encourage it. In video games I'm a little bit more protective of what I'm being upsold. It's supposed to be my personalized experience right? When I generate my character, I honestly don't need to be taught that regular looking people can be extraordinary. I already know this. I think we as a people get this.

I'm not an SJW anti-warrior, and I don't run around spewing "liberal c#%k" Middle America rhetoric, but I am giving Mass Effect: Andromeda side eye when I look at the default character models.

They're f#%^ing ugly. There I said it. I'm sure they're great people though. Maybe I'm being melodramatic? I need insight from others.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Are people still salty over this? LOL. 7-9 in todays standards is a pretty decent game, anything over 9 is awesome.

Honestly the rating system should be revamped across the board but even if it was a perfect system you would still get a ton of whiners who don't like a particular game/company/dev/genre who will get the pitchforks and tears.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I haven't played this yet but I don't really care for the review. The author starts her review off VERY defensive and close minded about the criticisms people may have. She even goes so far as to tie those who do have criticisms, like with the animation quality, to some online harassment being perpetrated against one of the female employees. Low blow and bad form. It doesn't help that we have another staff member who has also gotten very defensive and annoyed with people criticizing the game both in this thread and at least one other. They come across as super sensitive fanboys/girls and it's not very professional IMO.

I actually have no intention of buying ME:A at this time because of my less than favourable opinion of ME3 and the whole direction Bioware games have been going in the past few years. I'll probably pick it up once it drops to $20 or less. I loved ME1 and it's one of my favourite games of all time. It's one of the few single player games that I've actually finished. I liked ME2 and finished it as well but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, mostly because I found both the characters and story to be less interesting. I only made it past the Mars facility mission in ME3 before calling it quits (I actually did another play through a few months ago and didn't make it much farther). Horrible story and characters and the combat seemed more janky than the previous 2 games. The same pattern followed with the Dragon Age series. Loved DA1 (bad combat and all) and finished it twice. Made it about 3/4 of the way with DA2 and about 1/4 with DA3. Bioware has been going downhill in their game quality for awhile now, for me anyway, and ME:A looks like it's headed in the same direction.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Ginaz said:
    I haven't played this yet but I don't really care for the review. The author starts her review off VERY defensive and close minded about the criticisms people may have. She even goes so far as to tie those who do have criticisms, like with the animation quality, to some online harassment being perpetrated against one of the female employees. Low blow and bad form. It doesn't help that we have another staff member who has also gotten very defensive and annoyed with people criticizing the game both in this thread and at least one other. They come across as super sensitive fanboys/girls and it's not very professional IMO.

I actually have no intention of buying ME:A at this time because of my less than favourable opinion of ME3 and the whole direction Bioware games have been going in the past few years. I'll probably pick it up once it drops to $20 or less. I loved ME1 and it's one of my favourite games of all time. It's one of the few single player games that I've actually finished. I liked ME2 and finished it as well but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, mostly because I found both the characters and story to be less interesting. I only made it past the Mars facility mission in ME3 before calling it quits (I actually did another play through a few months ago and didn't make it much farther). Horrible story and characters and the combat seemed more janky than the previous 2 games. The same pattern followed with the Dragon Age series. Loved DA1 (bad combat and all) and finished it twice. Made it about 3/4 of the way with DA2 and about 1/4 with DA3. Bioware has been going downhill in their game quality for awhile now, for me anyway, and ME:A looks like it's headed in the same direction.
    where does she start defensive though? The only thing I see is mention with the memes and to set mind at ease?

And honestly every time there is a review that gets a decent score on this site trolls come out to cry paid. Honestly its annoying at best. If its a bad score you offend people, if its a good score you still offend people. I wont agree with every score and in this case I don't know if I agree with it yet or not, I don't see why people feel a need to base there buying decision on someone else's opinion. We all know things are over blown on the internet, from what I've heard from friends who have the game is the animation isn't bad most of the time, only in certain instances.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I've been playing all night and all day.  And the quests need some work.  But this game isn't terrible.  We'll see.  I'm only halfway through Eos (not far).