Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon updates their Kickstarter page

13»

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:
    Everquest set the bar so low on bugginess that for a long time when a new mmo came out and there were bugs people excused it saying that that is just the nature of mmos.

And today, EQ is just as buggy as it ever was.  People like to blame DBG, but its always been like this.
    What are these "bugs" you're referring to? I know they tweaked classes, abilities and items, but beyond that, I have no recollection.
    Getting stuck in geometry.  Broken quests that could not be completed.  Falling through the world.  Corpses falling through the world.  Boats dropping you in the ocean.  Boats outright killing people by throwing them in the air.  Bad pathing mobs.  etc

And today
    People getting dropped from their guilds (sometimes half the guild).  Guild hall anchors not working (different issue).  Raid issues causing entire raid to crash on completion and failing to give reward.  Corpses going missing from pick zones.  Task instances not having enough quest item drops to complete the task causing the players to have to drop task and repeat it to get enough items. etc
    Sounds like most online games I have played.  I dont see a point worth talking about here. A games code takes on a life of its own and some bug are so deep in the code there is no real way to fix them but learn to live with. I have gone back to many an MMO 5-10 years later and the same silly bugs are there. You want to play something as large as an MMO, you need to learn to live with it. 
    Thats kind of what I was saying, but Dullahan seemed to not believe me that there were and are bugs and asked what I was talking about.  Rose colored glasses.  And ever since then new mmos come out that also have bugs and people say "thats just how mmos are".
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited March 2017
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:
    Everquest set the bar so low on bugginess that for a long time when a new mmo came out and there were bugs people excused it saying that that is just the nature of mmos.

And today, EQ is just as buggy as it ever was.  People like to blame DBG, but its always been like this.
    What are these "bugs" you're referring to? I know they tweaked classes, abilities and items, but beyond that, I have no recollection.
    Getting stuck in geometry.  Broken quests that could not be completed.  Falling through the world.  Corpses falling through the world.  Boats dropping you in the ocean.  Boats outright killing people by throwing them in the air.  Bad pathing mobs.  etc

And today
    People getting dropped from their guilds (sometimes half the guild).  Guild hall anchors not working (different issue).  Raid issues causing entire raid to crash on completion and failing to give reward.  Corpses going missing from pick zones.  Task instances not having enough quest item drops to complete the task causing the players to have to drop task and repeat it to get enough items. etc
    Sounds like most online games I have played.  I dont see a point worth talking about here. A games code takes on a life of its own and some bug are so deep in the code there is no real way to fix them but learn to live with. I have gone back to many an MMO 5-10 years later and the same silly bugs are there. You want to play something as large as an MMO, you need to learn to live with it. 
    Thats kind of what I was saying, but Dullahan seemed to not believe me that there were and are bugs and asked what I was talking about.  Rose colored glasses.  And ever since then new mmos come out that also have bugs and people say "thats just how mmos are".
    Yes, thats how MMOs are. All of them. Its not rose colored glasses, the question is what bugs are worth mentioning and none of the ones you listed are. They are common. So for an MMO, it is not buggy, its business as normal. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:

And today
    Having played EQ from day 1 a ridiculous amount of time in the early years, I can confirm the boat issue. They did have some problems. Some pathing issues as well, but nothing serious. The rest were isolated incidents, and those problems would hardly "set the bar so low".

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:

And today
    Having played EQ from day 1 a ridiculous amount of time in the early years, I can confirm the boat issue. They did have some problems. Some pathing issues as well, but nothing serious. The rest were isolated incidents, and those problems would hardly "set the bar so low".
     I bugged reported and emailed them about the boat issue in beta but told me it seem to be fine for other people and ignored it. I am sure they know better now but the main issue I had with early EQ was all the skills  that I had that either didn't work correctly or do anything at all. Some of the classes were apparently unfinished and some of us leveled faster than they were prepared for. The pathing issues were so common that I just accepted that as normal EQ.
     Of course being stuck in Greater faydark for almost three weeks with my character in game but out of my control was bad. People did go by and visit him and send me messages that he was alive and well. I am sure some people that saw him though he as an NPC.  I could not even make a new character and login.
     The falling though the world was really bad at first as you did not automatically teleport to a safe place like I think they fixed it to do later. Had to wait on a GM.
     Back then we just rolled with the issues and bugs and keep on going.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Mylan12 said:
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    svann said:
    Dullahan said:
    svann said:

And today
     I bugged reported and emailed them about the boat issue in beta but told me it seem to be fine for other people and ignored it. I am sure they know better now but the main issue I had with early EQ was all the skills  that I had that either didn't work correctly or do anything at all. Some of the classes were apparently unfinished and some of us leveled faster than they were prepared for. The pathing issues were so common that I just accepted that as normal EQ.
     Of course being stuck in Greater faydark for almost three weeks with my character in game but out of my control was bad. People did go by and visit him and send me messages that he was alive and well. I am sure some people that saw him though he as an NPC.  I could not even make a new character and login.
     The falling though the world was really bad at first as you did not automatically teleport to a safe place like I think they fixed it to do later. Had to wait on a GM.
     Back then we just rolled with the issues and bugs and keep on going.
    Yup, MMOs got smarter dealing with bugs we never knew were going to be common. Class balance has been a problem in just about every video game that has classes. Unless you follow the generic crap that mirrors all classes so no balance is needed. Where unique skills just dont happen. MMO learning curve has given us some awesome ways to deal with these common problems and some solutions have just trashed what made MMOs awesome. Still really glad the people who made EQ pioneered this for us.