Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Wanted Mass Effect 4 But Got Something Better - Mass Effect: Andromeda Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    After a few more hours into the game I stick to my 7.5 score. Good game just far from great. This one falls to 3rd behind 2 and 1 but better than 3.
    ME2 was and remains the best to me.
    #2 I got way too attached to my companions ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    laserit said:
    After a few more hours into the game I stick to my 7.5 score. Good game just far from great. This one falls to 3rd behind 2 and 1 but better than 3.
    Losing a couple of them in the last fight was not fun :(
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2017
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Losing a couple of them in the last fight was not fun :(
    Garrus! No!!!!!!

Thank god for re-load ;)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I wonder what user you have on Gamespot... probably could name a few :) At any rate, your "deviation" talk is exaggerated. Some of the so called "critics" on metacritic are so infamous (read *unknown*) that it's impossible to state that they are reviewing the game objectively (or anything for that matter) and in some cases are not just sponsored reviews.

In the end, the user reviews will tell the truth. Still, I'd wish MMORPG would stick to MMORPGs instead of making biased reviews on RPGs. It's just not cool. Especially when you jump out to defend your biased review :)

It's fucking hilarious that you bash the critics for a lack of objectivity and then say that the user reviews will tell the truth. Fuck me!! Ok, so for the PS4 version, 297 negative votes. 56 negative reviews in all. Of those, 31 out of 56 were 0/10, lol. OBJECTIVELY speaking these people are talking out of their asses. I would LOVE to see what 10/10 looks like for these people. of the 24 reviews on 148 positive votes, there were 7 10/10 reviews. Again, please, talk to me about how objective user reviews are. Please! :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    thunderC said:
    The reason this game came out the way it did is because people who made this game were given their jobs based on diversity and not merit. I can't get into specifics for obvious reasons but some  very inexperienced people were put on this project who had no business making a AAA title. Check out this article for the ultimate red pill http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/mass-effect-andromedas-racist-game-designer-no-longer-works-for-bioware/26431/

Sadly, 'that' guy is now working on Destiny 2, i can only imagine the amount of damage he is going to do to that game.
    CrazKanuk said:

I wonder what user you have on Gamespot... probably could name a few :) At any rate, your "deviation" talk is exaggerated. Some of the so called "critics" on metacritic are so infamous (read *unknown*) that it's impossible to state that they are reviewing the game objectively (or anything for that matter) and in some cases are not just sponsored reviews.

In the end, the user reviews will tell the truth. Still, I'd wish MMORPG would stick to MMORPGs instead of making biased reviews on RPGs. It's just not cool. Especially when you jump out to defend your biased review :)

It's fucking hilarious that you bash the critics for a lack of objectivity and then say that the user reviews will tell the truth. Fuck me!! Ok, so for the PS4 version, 297 negative votes. 56 negative reviews in all. Of those, 31 out of 56 were 0/10, lol. OBJECTIVELY speaking these people are talking out of their asses. I would LOVE to see what 10/10 looks like for these people. of the 24 reviews on 148 positive votes, there were 7 10/10 reviews. Again, please, talk to me about how objective user reviews are. Please! :) 

Well there is just no doubt these are digital reviews

silly ;)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

it's only objective if it reinforces their own bias. If it doesn't it's paid for or a hit piece....IF it weren't for the ad revenue, reviewing would be pointless in this day and age. All most do anymore is bitch and moan about an arbitrary score, while ignoring 90% of what is said in the review. It's not just for positive reviews either. Look at all the rage against folks for panning the Iron Fist netflix show. 

Very few seem to try and get to know a reviewer today, that's the only real way to know whether you can relate to their opinions about games or not. That takes time and reading though, it's much easier to just go into rage mode...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

Especially since we're talking about a game by a company that has drawn the ire of the ultra-conservatives for many years for being far ahead of the curve in ethnic and gender inclusion as well as same sex romance in their games.

When it comes to politically motivated, orchestrated hate campaigns, they are the #1 target. Metacritic "user" reviews, and I highly doubt that many of those are even real users, 0 is the score of their credibility.

Here's a typical one: "Reviewed" it on all 3 platforms with 0... busy guy playing it on all 3 :)

http://www.metacritic.com/user/chaddaddy

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:

I think they hit this one out of the park.
    Well, high praise indeed. I'll buy it tonight. Thanks!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited March 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

Dude. Haters tried to trash Zelda BOTW but they couldn't get it beneath 7.4 ... Can you realize the outcome of FANS actually trashing the game? Pretty sure there are more ME fans out there than haters.

I agree with you that 0 and 10 grades are bad, it's something that Metacritic will never be able to fix in the current system. But when was the last time you have seen a AAA game of a popular franchise start so damn bad?

There are user scores on 3 platforms - PC, PS4 and XONE - all of averages are bad (4 or under) with over 1000 ratings in total. After a few days or a week, when Europe gets the game as well we will see how those change.

But if you look on Meta *user* scores for previous games:

- ME1: 8.8
    -ME2: 8.6
    -ME3: 5.6

To be honest, I consider ME3 to be worth more than 5.6... maybe a 7 or 8. But that rating that you see there indicates that devs might have screwed up features from the previous games and not only. And they did.

Would you know that if for example you would only take into consideration the *89* score from "certified critics"?
    NO, you wouldn't.

There will always be retards, haters and whatnots... but in the end if the game is as awesome as it claims to be - the majority will show it. Simple. (e.g. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt PC - 9.3 User score based on 11038 ratings)

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Phry said:
    thunderC said:
    The reason this game came out the way it did is because people who made this game were given their jobs based on diversity and not merit. I can't get into specifics for obvious reasons but some  very inexperienced people were put on this project who had no business making a AAA title. Check out this article for the ultimate red pill http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/mass-effect-andromedas-racist-game-designer-no-longer-works-for-bioware/26431/

Sadly, 'that' guy is now working on Destiny 2, i can only imagine the amount of damage he is going to do to that game.
    It blows my mind that someone like that could even have a job imagine if the roles were reversed , Obviously we need to be vague when describing this situation because of the biased double standard toxic world we live in  . For the most part gamers are in agreement this is a real step down from previous ME/Bioware games but no one is asking themselves why or how this happened.... 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

CrazKanuk said:

Dude. Haters tried to trash Zelda BOTW but they couldn't get it beneath 7.4 ... Can you realize the outcome of FANS actually trashing the game? Pretty sure there are more ME fans out there than haters.

I agree with you that 0 and 10 grades are bad, it's something that Metacritic will never be able to fix in the current system. But when was the last time you have seen a AAA game of a popular franchise start so damn bad?

There are user scores on 3 platforms - PC, PS4 and XONE - all of averages are bad (4 or under) with over 1000 ratings in total. After a few days or a week, when Europe gets the game as well we will see how those change.

To be honest, I consider ME3 to be worth more than 5.6... maybe a 7 or 8. But that rating that you see there indicates that devs might have screwed up features from the previous games and not only. And they did.

Would you know that if for example you would only take into consideration the *89* score from "certified critics"?
    NO, you wouldn't.

There will always be retards, haters and whatnots... but in the end if the game is as awesome as it claims to be - the majority will show it. Simple. (e.g. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt PC - 9.3 User score based on 11038 ratings)

Last time I saw something this bad was Diablo 3. I'm sure someone else has some more recent example, but that's what I've got. When D3 released, though, it was much the same thing. There was outcry from FANS. It's not people being objective, it's people being babies. What's awesome about D3 is that it immediately illustrates this lack of objectivity. Did users "sort things out"? Nope! D3 on PC is still rated at 40 versus the 88 that critics gave it. HOWEVER!!! The PS4 version is rated at 90 by critics and 80 by users. So we're talking about a swing of 2 points on the critics side and a swing of 40 points on the user site. Let's have a sing along! "One of these things are not objective." 

You're right, generally speaking people get it mostly right. Unfortunately, there is IP, companies, and games which are polarizing and create a VERY unstable/non-objective environment. This is one of them. You're probably right, it's probably worth somewhere in the 7-8 range, which has been reiterated by a few people here. Which means that the metaritic on it really isn't out to lunch and what we're seeing from this review is one which they openly admitted would be biased versus one which was overly harsh (via gamespot). I only say overly harsh because the review is not aligned with 90% of other critics. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Shaigh said:
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:
    I haven't been particularly impressed by the promotional material for ME:A and this came across as too much of a fan's review to make a convincing argument why I should buy this title. I did read stuff on a few other sites and they made better arguments why I shouldn't buy it.

The problem with the comments is that far too many people don't actually care about written reviews, they just want to check the score to get someone to reinforce their already established opinion.

On HZD vs ME:A, what gaming need is more developers and publishers pushing new ideas into gaming instead of just playing it safe with established IP's. I know bioware is working on an original IP and I hope its good.
    I find this post deliciously ironic.

The guy liked the game, so he must be a fan? Duh! ;)

You're obviously looking to reinforce your already established opinion too.
    "Do you love Mass Effect series as much as I do?"
    "if you play(ed) Mass Effect and / or Dragon Age for graphics, you’re doing it wrong."

It never shies away from being made by someone biased about bioware and while it mentions it from the start it makes the review problematic. Defending criticism is a territory reviewers shouldn't move into. It doesn't speak enough about combat to know how it really feels, the text doesn't even mention that its a shooter.

Its rare that I pre-order games and I generally rely on both critics and players to give me a second opinion on games.
    Ehm, so his opinion is invalid because he loved the previous Mass Effect games - or that he understands that Bioware games are focused on narrative and characters?

You're not making even the slightest bit of sense.

Seems to me he's the perfect candidate to review a new Bioware game.
    Did you read any reviews before making a purchase of the game or are you just here to defend your game?
    Yup.  The three gaming sites I usually get my reviews from all gave this game an 8+.  That's this site, PCgamer, and gameinformer.  I'm sure you'll do your best to try to make something up about each of those sites and how they were paid. 
    thunderC said:
    Kilrane said:
    Looks like GameSpot has the more honest review this time around.... 
    Lets just say i dont visit this site as much as i use too. 
    I'll alert the media.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I think the biggest problem with ME:A is that it is using the Frostbite engine. Unlike the past Mass Effect games that used the Unreal Engine.  I bet they had to create the animations and such from the ground up where with the past ME games under Unreal could leverage all the years of work done in the past games.

Also it seems the Frostbite Engines ability to animate the face may just not be upto par with the Unreal engine and its many many years of work behind it.
    Just to lighten the mood in this thread.  My wife texted me from work today and asked me "How's your Mass Reflect game going?"  Lol.
  • VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    edited March 2017
    Phry said:
    thunderC said:
    Says who? Isn't he running his own indie studio now?

edit: btw don't agree with thunderC, that's just jumping to conclusions to push a political agenda. Boo!
    There are many many reasons why game development can go wrong, and when EA is on board, the biggest reason is probably EA doing what EA does.

Hype train -> Reality

• YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Just to lighten the mood in this thread.  My wife texted me from work today and asked me "How's your Mass Reflect game going?"  Lol.
    What did you reply ? :D
    What did you reply ? :D
    "Great, thx hunny lol".  Direct quote :-)
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    So, unfortunately, in a society who HATES taking 5 minutes to read a review, you're being lied to by someone. You THINK you're being lied to by reviewers, and you are DEFINITELY being lied to by your peers. It's a no-win situation. You're going to have to read. 
    Oh my god, no... not that! Not multiple paragraphs :)

I blame it on twitter... it has further reduced the already dwindling average attention span.
    That's as far as I got. I just assumed that you were agreeing with me and therefore totally agreed with you and now love you :) 
    I agree with whatever you agreed to. I didn't actually read what he said or know what you agreed to but since I like your posts often enough I must agree right?

Once again, I'll agree with you, agreeing with me, completely disregarding that I'm creating a cyclical agreement.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Or Mass DEflect, what!!!!!!! Lol

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    So the wife is at work while you're at home playing. That's like me the housewife. B)
    Chamber of Chains
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

NO, you wouldn't.

Last time I saw something this bad was Diablo 3. I'm sure someone else has some more recent example, but that's what I've got. When D3 released, though, it was much the same thing. There was outcry from FANS. It's not people being objective, it's people being babies. What's awesome about D3 is that it immediately illustrates this lack of objectivity. Did users "sort things out"? Nope! D3 on PC is still rated at 40 versus the 88 that critics gave it. HOWEVER!!! The PS4 version is rated at 90 by critics and 80 by users. So we're talking about a swing of 2 points on the critics side and a swing of 40 points on the user site. Let's have a sing along! "One of these things are not objective." 

You're right, generally speaking people get it mostly right. Unfortunately, there is IP, companies, and games which are polarizing and create a VERY unstable/non-objective environment. This is one of them. You're probably right, it's probably worth somewhere in the 7-8 range, which has been reiterated by a few people here. Which means that the metaritic on it really isn't out to lunch and what we're seeing from this review is one which they openly admitted would be biased versus one which was overly harsh (via gamespot). I only say overly harsh because the review is not aligned with 90% of other critics. 

In all fairness to using D3 as an example, your forgetting about the RMAH and the mechanics that went along with it.

I was sorely disappointed with D3 at release. The game was greatly improved after the revamp.

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Bioware is nothing but a shell of what it once was. It is "Bioware" in name only. All the talent that made the past games so good (before ME3, really) is gone. In it's place we have inexperienced people with an agenda.

I'm happy for those that enjoy it, I suppose the same way I'm happy for those that enjoy watching paint dry. I don't mean to imply my tastes are better than anyone elses, but what this company has become, and where it is headed bothers me a great deal.

I wish I haden't played their first games, then perhaps I could enjoy their latest offerings much more without the comparisons constantly being drawn at every corner, but then I would have been robbed of an actual lovingly crafted experience, so I guess it's a mixed bag either way.

My face is tired.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Kiyonori said:
    Bioware is nothing but a shell of what it once was. It is "Bioware" in name only. All the talent that made the past games so good (before ME3, really) is gone. In it's place we have inexperienced people with an agenda.

I'm happy for those that enjoy it, I suppose the same way I'm happy for those that enjoy watching paint dry. I don't mean to imply my tastes are better than anyone elses, but what this company has become, and where it is headed bothers me a great deal.

I wish I haden't played their first games, then perhaps I could enjoy their latest offerings much more without the comparisons constantly being drawn at every corner, but then I would have been robbed of an actual lovingly crafted experience, so I guess it's a mixed bag either way.

My face is tired.

Exactly. Everyone that has played (even more times over) the ME trilogy must be able see what a huge step backwards ME:Adromeda is in Production quality.

I am a longterm member of MMORPG.com and love this community, but I am currently highly dissapointed in this review and how they let EA/BW get away with releasing such a shoddy, shockingly unpolished, clearly rushed product!

But what really takes the cake is how the staff is now in attack mode against their own members, making fun of them and attacking them of being over dramatic about the issues this game has and that it's perfectly acceptable for a big AAA studio like EA and Bioware to release a product in such a state!

And then they keep being shocked and suprised when People bring up suspicion of them getting paid for a glowing review.  Well..... duhhh /facepalm

This is one of the better reviews out there so far:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14961928/mass-effect-andromeda-review-xbox-ps4-pc