Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Wanted Mass Effect 4 But Got Something Better - Mass Effect: Andromeda Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    "Insert game here" has ugly characters
    "Insert game here" has ugly animations
    "Insert game here" has boring quests
    "Insert game here" has dull dialog

I'm on the fence about this one even though I loved 1-3 and don't think 3 had the worst ending ever like people claim. Ill be waiting because I still have other games to finish up but I liked what I heard and by the time I get it there will be patches that fixed some of the complaints. As for the facial animations, 1-3 weren't exactly greatly animated anyways and most games have some issue to be picked with in some way.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Ozmodan said:

Personally I was very impressed with the trailer.  I think this game is going to be a huge hit.  Sorry all the whiners think they have so many issues with it.  Bet this game will break a bunch of records for sales.

At least it is not console locked like Horizon Zero Dawn.  If you can't write your game for the PC, that just makes it second rate from the start.

Poor you didums mad cos devs didn't respect the ultimate PC elite Lmfao. 

Fact is pal they went ps4 only, buy a console instead of the next graphic card you need lol. 

Sadly, as bad as HZD is, it is a better game than ME:A, that HZD has also managed to sell over 2 million copies despite being a PS4 exclusive, is a testament to its success, though despite having a PS4 myself, i didn't buy HZD i didn't like the main character at all, and the lack of choice in that regard was a game breaker, but imo it is still a better game than ME:A. O.o
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited March 2017
    Based on my 10 hours with the trial - I'm leaning towards 7.5/10. Possibly more, possibly less.

It will depend on how the story evolves - and how "grindy" the side content turns out to be.

But it's a very solid game, so far - issues and all.

Certainly seems a lot more interesting than ME2 and ME3 - both of which felt like shallow cover-shooters with talky bits.

ME was great for its lore and sci-fi ambience - but let's not kid ourselves regarding the gameplay, which was clunky and - at best - functional.

ME:A has them all beat in the mechanics/progression/loot department - that's for sure.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited March 2017
    I haven't been particularly impressed by the promotional material for ME:A and this came across as too much of a fan's review to make a convincing argument why I should buy this title. I did read stuff on a few other sites and they made better arguments why I shouldn't buy it.

The problem with the comments is that far too many people don't actually care about written reviews, they just want to check the score to get someone to reinforce their already established opinion.

On HZD vs ME:A, what gaming need is more developers and publishers pushing new ideas into gaming instead of just playing it safe with established IP's. I know bioware is working on an original IP and I hope its good.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    I haven't been particularly impressed by the promotional material for ME:A and this came across as too much of a fan's review to make a convincing argument why I should buy this title. I did read stuff on a few other sites and they made better arguments why I shouldn't buy it.

The problem with the comments is that far too many people don't actually care about written reviews, they just want to check the score to get someone to reinforce their already established opinion.

On HZD vs ME:A, what gaming need is more developers and publishers pushing new ideas into gaming instead of just playing it safe with established IP's. I know bioware is working on an original IP and I hope its good.
    I find this post deliciously ironic.

The guy liked the game, so he must be a fan? Duh! ;)

You're obviously looking to reinforce your already established opinion too.
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:

"Do you love Mass Effect series as much as I do?"
    "if you play(ed) Mass Effect and / or Dragon Age for graphics, you’re doing it wrong."

It never shies away from being made by someone biased about bioware and while it mentions it from the start it makes the review problematic. Defending criticism is a territory reviewers shouldn't move into. It doesn't speak enough about combat to know how it really feels, the text doesn't even mention that its a shooter.

Its rare that I pre-order games and I generally rely on both critics and players to give me a second opinion on games.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:

"if you play(ed) Mass Effect and / or Dragon Age for graphics, you’re doing it wrong."

It never shies away from being made by someone biased about bioware and while it mentions it from the start it makes the review problematic. Defending criticism is a territory reviewers shouldn't move into. It doesn't speak enough about combat to know how it really feels, the text doesn't even mention that its a shooter.

Its rare that I pre-order games and I generally rely on both critics and players to give me a second opinion on games.
    Ehm, so his opinion is invalid because he loved the previous Mass Effect games - or that he understands that Bioware games are focused on narrative and characters?

You're not making even the slightest bit of sense.

Seems to me he's the perfect candidate to review a new Bioware game.
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:

Ehm, so his opinion is invalid because he loved the previous Mass Effect games - or that he understands that Bioware games are focused on narrative and characters?

Did you read any reviews before making a purchase of the game or are you just here to defend your game?
    edited March 2017
    Shaigh said:
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:
    DKLond said:
    Shaigh said:

Did you read any reviews before making a purchase of the game or are you just here to defend your game?
    Are you aware what that kind of question tells me about you and your capacity for being open-minded?

It's almost like you're trying to prove you're much more biased than you're accusing the reviewer of being.

Good job :)
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

SBFord said:

What I find funny is that when "professional reviewers" rate a game highly but the gamer population doesn't, it's pitchforks and torches because they're all shills.

When reviewers pan a game, it's sunshine and roses and "See? They know what they're talking about". 

:D

It was their weakest game by far, maybe their fans expected more. Kinda like how I expected more out of Iron Fist, but all I got was Iron Drama.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    The reason this game came out the way it did is because people who made this game were given their jobs based on diversity and not merit. I can't get into specifics for obvious reasons but some  very inexperienced people were put on this project who had no business making a AAA title. Check out this article for the ultimate red pill http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/mass-effect-andromedas-racist-game-designer-no-longer-works-for-bioware/26431/

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited March 2017

SBFord said:

What I find funny is that when "professional reviewers" rate a game highly but the gamer population doesn't, it's pitchforks and torches because they're all shills.

When reviewers pan a game, it's sunshine and roses and "See? They know what they're talking about". 

It was their weakest game by far, maybe their fans expected more. Kinda like how I expected more out of Iron Fist, but all I got was Iron Drama.
    ME:A is miles ahead of Shattered Steel, MDK2, DA2 and Jade Empire, imo.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DKLond said:

SBFord said:

DKLond said:

SBFord said:

Jade Empire, really? That was a f-ing brilliant game and way better then all of ME tbh. Agreeing that the rest of those games wasn't all that good, but Jade Empire? Come on.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Looks like GameSpot has the more honest review this time around.... 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Kilrane said:
    Lets just say i dont visit this site as much as i use too. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    lahnmir said:

At least it is not console locked like Horizon Zero Dawn.  If you can't write your game for the PC, that just makes it second rate from the start.
    You know this statement is beyond ridiculous right? They've got an agreement to develop for Sony, it is not as if they are incapable to program for other another platform. I'd even go one step further and challenge you to find a developer that can create a game looking that advanced on a 250 dollar pc while maintaining that stability.

You might be annoyed you are missing out on the game but if Guerilla games is one thing it is absolute technical wizards with what they create, 99% of developers should take note with how much they can push hardware far beyond what others are capable of..

Ohh, and I don't care one bit for Horizon or the new Mass Effect in case you were wondering.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Still makes it a second rate game.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kilrane said:
    There's no such thing as a "more honest review", as it's just opinions, you can certainly agree with one or the other more, yet it's still just that person's experience, a more positive experience doesn't mean it's not honest. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ozmodan said:
    lahnmir said:

You know this statement is beyond ridiculous right? They've got an agreement to develop for Sony, it is not as if they are incapable to program for other another platform. I'd even go one step further and challenge you to find a developer that can create a game looking that advanced on a 250 dollar pc while maintaining that stability.

You might be annoyed you are missing out on the game but if Guerilla games is one thing it is absolute technical wizards with what they create, 99% of developers should take note with how much they can push hardware far beyond what others are capable of..

Ohh, and I don't care one bit for Horizon or the new Mass Effect in case you were wondering.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Still makes it a second rate game.
    Ahh, you're one of those, cute.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Distopia said:
    Kilrane said:
    There's no such thing as a "more honest review", as it's just opinions, you can certainly agree with one or the other more, yet it's still just that person's experience, a more positive experience doesn't mean it's not honest. 
    I miss kevin van oord that used to review RPG on gamespot. While I usually didn't agree with his final scores he was really good at describing the game experience and letting people know the good and the bad of the game without feeling like he judged the game.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kilrane said:

So their review is more honest because......?? The number is lower? 

The primary gripe seems to be with the story. Something that detractors in this thread have re-iterate is overrated and "If you want a story then go read a book" 

In fact! The two reviews are VERY similar, maybe with the exception of story, since this review says that the story is deep, with throwbacks to the trilogy, while the Gamespot one says it's a great story that is executed poorly.

What I found interesting is that while the gamespot review says that "I also fell in love with the combat, especially later in the game. The core shooting mechanics feel stronger here than anywhere else in the series." he did also complain about the UI, something that was common between the two. HOWEVER, he then goes on to explain that " I ended up building, well...a space ninja, basically. I could use tech to cloak myself, biotics to charge enemies, a shield-buffing sword to deal damage, and the standard jumpjets to dart away again. The results were consistently frantic and fun, though there are plenty of other options as well." 

What I find interesting is that it seems you're more focused on honesty in numbers than the reviews themselves. Although this review openly admits bias and that they are a fan of the series, their actual review very closely resembles that of the gamespot review. 

Also, the deviation from the Metacritic rating is nearly identical between the two, depending on which medium you look at. If anything I would say that what we're looking at here is exactly what Metacritic serves to resolve. It's the same thing that has been done in figure skating and gymnastics and diving for years, you throw out the bottom and top scores and take an average of the rest. If you did that here I think that a game approaching the 80ish mark isn't unexpected. Also, it should be noted that 10 of the 11 reviews for PC were positive (75+), 23 out of the 36 reviews on PS4 were positive (over 75), and 14 of 20 XBONE reviews were positive. Oh! Did I mention, of all platforms, there was zero negative scores. Meanwhle, for user scores, there are like 200 user reviews across all platforms, 120 were negative, 12 were mixed and 70 were positive. That's not really what I would call objectivity. 

So, unfortunately, in a society who HATES taking 5 minutes to read a review, you're being lied to by someone. You THINK you're being lied to by reviewers, and you are DEFINITELY being lied to by your peers. It's a no-win situation. You're going to have to read. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Yeah it may be bad how people jump at the chance to attack Bioware now but what's worse are the people who jump even farther to defend them lol. What's even worse than that is trying to compare these *bugs* to that of Witcher 3 which came out how many years back now? I don't have a side because I honestly could care less about giving Bioware/EA any attention but to attack CD Project just shows how crappy the people at MMORPG have become. It's almost as sad as the idiots who verbally attacked the lady at Bioware over twitter about this game. Both sides have become just laughable in their idiocy.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CrazKanuk said:
    So, unfortunately, in a society who HATES taking 5 minutes to read a review, you're being lied to by someone. You THINK you're being lied to by reviewers, and you are DEFINITELY being lied to by your peers. It's a no-win situation. You're going to have to read. 
    Oh my god, no... not that! Not multiple paragraphs :)

I blame it on twitter... it has further reduced the already dwindling average attention span.

All I know is that I'm having a blast and the game is BIG... almost too big. The number of NPCs you can have lengthy conversations with, the number of quests, the areas to explore... all are more than anything I've seen in any previous ME or DA game.

And I can say in all honesty that 90% + of the time the facial animations are just fine. There is that one woman in Colony Administration with the dead face but I'm starting to suspect she's a closet android. She's very easy to dislike at any rate and her botox face just adds to that.

After my initial 10 hour preview, I thought that maybe this score was about 1.0 higher than what I would have scored it. But after pulling an all nighter playing it (hey, I'm retired so sue me) the closer I'm drifting toward this 8.7.

ME1-3 are very fresh in my mind since I replayed them all recently. This one is quickly becoming my favorite of the 4... and that's without getting into all the possible wacky build combinations you can now make. I'm playing it as a straight-up ranged biotic adept but I can see the potential for a lot of different builds that will add tons of replayability.

I think they hit this one out of the park.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kilrane said:

So their review is more honest because......?? The number is lower? 

The primary gripe seems to be with the story. Something that detractors in this thread have re-iterate is overrated and "If you want a story then go read a book" 

In fact! The two reviews are VERY similar, maybe with the exception of story, since this review says that the story is deep, with throwbacks to the trilogy, while the Gamespot one says it's a great story that is executed poorly.

What I found interesting is that while the gamespot review says that "I also fell in love with the combat, especially later in the game. The core shooting mechanics feel stronger here than anywhere else in the series." he did also complain about the UI, something that was common between the two. HOWEVER, he then goes on to explain that " I ended up building, well...a space ninja, basically. I could use tech to cloak myself, biotics to charge enemies, a shield-buffing sword to deal damage, and the standard jumpjets to dart away again. The results were consistently frantic and fun, though there are plenty of other options as well." 

What I find interesting is that it seems you're more focused on honesty in numbers than the reviews themselves. Although this review openly admits bias and that they are a fan of the series, their actual review very closely resembles that of the gamespot review. 

Also, the deviation from the Metacritic rating is nearly identical between the two, depending on which medium you look at. If anything I would say that what we're looking at here is exactly what Metacritic serves to resolve. It's the same thing that has been done in figure skating and gymnastics and diving for years, you throw out the bottom and top scores and take an average of the rest. If you did that here I think that a game approaching the 80ish mark isn't unexpected. Also, it should be noted that 10 of the 11 reviews for PC were positive (75+), 23 out of the 36 reviews on PS4 were positive (over 75), and 14 of 20 XBONE reviews were positive. Oh! Did I mention, of all platforms, there was zero negative scores. Meanwhle, for user scores, there are like 200 user reviews across all platforms, 120 were negative, 12 were mixed and 70 were positive. That's not really what I would call objectivity. 

I wonder what user you have on Gamespot... probably could name a few :) At any rate, your "deviation" talk is exaggerated. Some of the so called "critics" on metacritic are so infamous (read *unknown*) that it's impossible to state that they are reviewing the game objectively (or anything for that matter) and in some cases are not just sponsored reviews.

In the end, the user reviews will tell the truth. Still, I'd wish MMORPG would stick to MMORPGs instead of making biased reviews on RPGs. It's just not cool. Especially when you jump out to defend your biased review :)
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Oh my god, no... not that! Not multiple paragraphs :)

I blame it on twitter... it has further reduced the already dwindling average attention span.

That's as far as I got. I just assumed that you were agreeing with me and therefore totally agreed with you and now love you :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------