Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former Bioware Employee Who Worked On Mass Effect Andromeda Reveals Awful Working Conditions

Comments

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    How many employees who leave or are fired leave the best impressions, though?

This is about as useful as Trump in a debate.
    Oh yes because their product is a stellar example why we should not trust this employee. Sure lets go with that Trump logic.

So much quality and polish:  https://t.co/WSUTTnbHh5
    Yes, let's use our confirmation bias - based on not liking a video game - as evidence in support of what a random employee says :)

Sounds like Trump logic to me.
    "random employee" sounds like "alternative truth" doesn't it?  =)
     The evidence is in the link above what evidence did YOU provided, Spock? 
    No, it sounds like random employee. 

That's my point - there's no useful evidence here to see. I don't have any - and you don't have any.

Disgruntled employees are a dime a dozen - and you'll find them everywhere for any AAA production.

I bet you have them at your place of work, too.
    oh but I have, I just provided a link showing you all the problems with the game and why I think the employee is right. but here is you:

.. and yes maybe we have disgruntled employees but our products are excellent  :3
    Oh, you mean I actually have to agree with you about the game - and then share in your fantasy that this opinion is the objective truth based on a single disgruntled ex-employee?

Yeah, that's not going to happen ;)

Also, I quite like the game.
    Just out of curiosity, which parts of the game you like most and you think it recieved the love of the people working on it? 

I didn't play it, based on my trusted reviewers, its utter soulless crap so far.
    So far, the combat, character system and the sheer beauty of the planets would rate the highest in my opinion.

I'm not sure how anyone would measure "love" received. Certainly, a lot of talent and craftsmanship went into those aspects.

I guess I don't play games for the love they've received - but for how fun they are.

Now, I've only played around 10 hours of the game - so it's hard to say how it evolves.

I didn't care much for ME2 and ME3 - so there's that.

So far, I'd rate it around 7.5/10 - but it can easily go both higher and lower than that.

I agree graphics look nice. For character development - isn't this dumbed down, with zero rpg elements and shallow skill trees? Combat looks streamlined and unchallenging with x-ray vision and auto-grenade aiming... Cmon... 

I would measure love with creativity added to the game elements. E.g. ME4 story and dialogue or new life forms is definitely not creative and was done by someone who got a deadline and a task. But if there is zero creativity in the game, then there is high probability it was done by unengaged workforce working JUST for salary. 

I am yet to read anything new and exciting that this game brings to the table. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Gdemami said:
    They pay for the lunch? Outrageous bastards..
    Nurses working 12 hour shifts and getting 30 minute lunches would love to have it paid for, I imagine. ;)
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited March 2017
    Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

Oh yes because their product is a stellar example why we should not trust this employee. Sure lets go with that Trump logic.

Yes, let's use our confirmation bias - based on not liking a video game - as evidence in support of what a random employee says :)

No, it sounds like random employee. 

That's my point - there's no useful evidence here to see. I don't have any - and you don't have any.

Disgruntled employees are a dime a dozen - and you'll find them everywhere for any AAA production.

I bet you have them at your place of work, too.
    oh but I have, I just provided a link showing you all the problems with the game and why I think the employee is right. but here is you:

.. and yes maybe we have disgruntled employees but our products are excellent  :3
    Oh, you mean I actually have to agree with you about the game - and then share in your fantasy that this opinion is the objective truth based on a single disgruntled ex-employee?

Yeah, that's not going to happen ;)

Also, I quite like the game.
    Just out of curiosity, which parts of the game you like most and you think it recieved the love of the people working on it? 

I didn't play it, based on my trusted reviewers, its utter soulless crap so far.
    So far, the combat, character system and the sheer beauty of the planets would rate the highest in my opinion.

I'm not sure how anyone would measure "love" received. Certainly, a lot of talent and craftsmanship went into those aspects.

I guess I don't play games for the love they've received - but for how fun they are.

Now, I've only played around 10 hours of the game - so it's hard to say how it evolves.

I didn't care much for ME2 and ME3 - so there's that.

So far, I'd rate it around 7.5/10 - but it can easily go both higher and lower than that.

I agree graphics look nice. For character development - isn't this dumbed down, with zero rpg elements and shallow skill trees? Combat looks streamlined and unchallenging with x-ray vision and auto-grenade aiming... Cmon... 

I would measure love with creativity added to the game elements. E.g. ME4 story and dialogue or new life forms is definitely not creative and was done by someone who got a deadline and a task. But if there is zero creativity in the game, then there is high probability it was done by unengaged workforce working JUST for salary. 

I am yet to read anything new and exciting that this game brings to the table. 
    Are you asking for my opinion, or are you looking to confirm something you've decided about a game you've yet to play?

The game isn't a miracle or a cure for cancer.

But I like it.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    What awfull working conditions? Sounds like someone didn't quite fit in and blames everything but himself. You know, sometimes, things just don't work out. Either try to change that within the company, or find something better for yourself. There is absolutely no use in these kind of outcries.

This seems like an attempt to throw oil on a fire, considering that EA's newest game is always a juicy target for the internet.
    @DKLond I am not looking to confirm anything, I asked a question and merely expressed that I am surprised that mmorpg fan (which I assume you are since you are here) likes the direction they took the game elements you listed. Everyone likes different things.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited March 2017
    Phry said:
    It would explain ME:A that game was definitely not a labour of love, its so unpolished, if not broken that you would have thought that Bioware had outsourced the game to another developer. :o

How about your beloved Bioware are just shit in these days and your just hanging on to pass glories. 

Bioware haven't made a decent game in years and still follow the same game design as every other Bioware game. 

They are no longer the force you think they are. 

Oh and don't blame it on EA, Bioware chose to jump into bed with them half way through swtor.

So even that game was made predominantly by Bioware. 
    I would really like to disagree with you, but reality however insists that i don't.

But here is the kicker, the real stinker in the mix, the guy who wrote the dialogue for ME:A, just went to work for the guys on Destiny 2.
    Ramajama said:
    @DKLond I am not looking to confirm anything, I asked a question and merely expressed that I am surprised that mmorpg fan (which I assume you are since you are here) likes the direction they took the game elements you listed. Everyone likes different things.
    You seem to have decided that the game is shallow, even though you haven't played it yourself.

To me, in terms of character mechanics, progression and combat - it's far and away the deepest of the Mass Effect games.

That said, Mass Effect games were never that deep in this way to begin with.

Why are you surprised I like intricate mechanics? Please explain.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2017
    BizkitNL said:
    What awfull working conditions? Sounds like someone didn't quite fit in and blames everything but himself. You know, sometimes, things just don't work out. Either try to change that within the company, or find something better for yourself. There is absolutely no use in these kind of outcries.

This seems like an attempt to throw oil on a fire, considering that EA's newest game is always a juicy target for the internet.
    Yes leave EA alone!  They are always the target on internet. People are so mean!

It its not their fault that they won multiple "awards" for the worst company. 

It is not their fault that another product in their portfolio is garbage.

It is not their fault if they produce cash grabbing schemes with dlcs, half finished products etc

It is not their fault if people dont like them.

It is not their fault if they have an old fashioned and stale corporate environment that prevents creativity, quality and innovation.

Yes it is our fault. We, the haters did it again. We ruined the game.

p.s. Look at this: the most anticipated game in 2017 got from gamespot http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mass-effect-andromeda-review/1900-6416638/
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    d_20 said:
    Vardahoth said:
    Sounds like every normal tech company I've worked at.
    Sounds like most normal jobs to me. 

+3

It's the way of business for the last 15 years everywhere. 

Pro.... Given the opportunity most employees will screw off.

Con... Businesses have gone WAY to far with it.
               Pay is cut too far for the working class, even the educated ones.

Sad but true. And gaming industry has it among worse. This is reason why i quit it forever ( it was my dream , but they managed to kill it )

DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:
    You seem to have decided that the game is shallow, even though you haven't played it yourself.

To me, in terms of character mechanics, progression and combat - it's far and away the deepest of the Mass Effect games.

I wouldn't be surprised that you like intricate or deep mechanics, since I like them as well. However, you are the first person I read has an opinion, that these things got deeper and more intricate in me4. I didn't read and watch many reviews though, just a handful. However, those that I read were unanimous in suggesting that this got shallower, more boring and completely unoriginal - e.g.removing paragon dialogue options with no replacement.  

The inclusion of yet another ancient civilization in the storyline just proved to me, that absolutely no creative input went into this game. 
    Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:

I wouldn't be surprised that you like intricate or deep mechanics, since I like them as well. However, you are the first person I read has an opinion, that these things got deeper and more intricate in me4. I didn't read and watch many reviews though, just a handful. However, those that I read were unanimous in suggesting that this got shallower, more boring and completely unoriginal - e.g.removing paragon dialogue options with no replacement.  

The inclusion of yet another ancient civilization in the storyline just proved to me, that absolutely no creative input went into this game. 
    I really don't understand what your motivation is here.

It has been "proven" to you that absolutely no creative input went into the game? Ignoring how extreme that position is, why are we having this exchange, then?

I've read maybe half a dozen reviews, so far, and they've ALL specifically mentioned combat and the character mechanics as a step up.

Why are you pretending to have an open mind? It's painfully obvious that you don't.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    DKLond said:
    Phry said:
    It would explain ME:A that game was definitely not a labour of love, its so unpolished, if not broken that you would have thought that Bioware had outsourced the game to another developer. :o

How about your beloved Bioware are just shit in these days and your just hanging on to pass glories. 

Bioware haven't made a decent game in years and still follow the same game design as every other Bioware game. 

Oh and don't blame it on EA, Bioware chose to jump into bed with them half way through swtor.

Because its not Bioware anymore. It was not since 2010 when EA bought them. And 2012 when Myzka and Zechuk ( the Bioware Doctors ) left.

Its just another EA company wearing name tag of great company they ruined
    Ah, that old myth.

Bioware went full mainstream long before EA took over. Look at Jade Empire versus Baldur's Gate 2.

Even KotOR was designed as a console game. Mass Effect - as an RPG - was already super streamlined and simplified.

Dragon Age was an exception, because it had been in development since right after NWN.

Nah, the good doctors sold to EA BECAUSE they'd changed direction and were ready to hand over control.

I know people love to blame EA - but that's misplaced here.
    BW was owned by Elevation Partners if I remember correctly, (Bono from U2) and they sold BW (and Pandemic?) to EA.

That's when things started to go, I don't know, wrong, I guess.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    The games industry is such an odd one when it comes to workforces. 

It is very rare in that the passion and committment for the products is the reverse of most businesses. Those at the bottom (the QA team) tend to be the most passionate and dedicated, but the higher you go the less passion there is. The programmers and the artists tend to be passionate still but a decent percentage of them will be there simply because their skills are rare and they can't really work anywhere else. 

These days, once you start reaching the important decision makers, it is just very rare to find passionate gamers anymore, its just regular business men. 

This results in a culture where the management are focused almost solely on the business aspects, but this is almost always at odds with the creative processes and passion that goes into making a game. 

So, I'm not surprised that a Bioware employee has quit and is unhappy with the corporate culture that now pervades the business. You'll find people like that from every AAA studio out there. With the industry like it is, that is something that is unlikely to ever change again. Its also not unique to computer games: any artform that has become big business has the exact same issues. I'm sure if you searched, you'll find tons of similar disgruntled employees working in the film industry who hate the way the corporate culture has made their working life miserable. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    d_20 said:
    Vardahoth said:
    Sounds like every normal tech company I've worked at.
    Sounds like most normal jobs to me. 
    Yup. The bullet points in the OP basically describe how things are at the majority of medium - large companies in the corporate world.
    Rosenborg said:
    DKLond said:
    Phry said:

Because its not Bioware anymore. It was not since 2010 when EA bought them. And 2012 when Myzka and Zechuk ( the Bioware Doctors ) left.

Ah, that old myth.

Bioware went full mainstream long before EA took over. Look at Jade Empire versus Baldur's Gate 2.

Even KotOR was designed as a console game. Mass Effect - as an RPG - was already super streamlined and simplified.

Dragon Age was an exception, because it had been in development since right after NWN.

Nah, the good doctors sold to EA BECAUSE they'd changed direction and were ready to hand over control.

I know people love to blame EA - but that's misplaced here.
    BW was owned by Elevation Partners if I remember correctly, (Bono from U2) and they sold BW (and Pandemic?) to EA.

That's when things started to go, I don't know, wrong, I guess.
    AFAIK, Bioware joined with Pandemic at their own volition - and Elevation Partners just funded the merger.

That said, the point is that EA has nothing to do with Bioware going mainstream and "dumbing" down their games. This happened years before the EA deal.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

A former, disgruntled employee's rant against his former employer isn't evidence.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    not even remotely surprised if true almost every description i ever heard of game industry working environment sounded horrible and job security is a joke in the game industry.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Phry said:

Been saying this to friends since the day they left old school bioware was done the day they left,luckily for me triple A games i have the lowest expectations for anyway. i put more hope into indie games cause they seem to be the only devs willing to build the stuff i grew up loving anymore.
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:

It has been "proven" to you that absolutely no creative input went into the game? Ignoring how extreme that position is, why are we having this exchange, then?

I've read maybe half a dozen reviews, so far, and they've ALL specifically mentioned combat and the character mechanics as a step up.

Why are you pretending to have an open mind? It's painfully obvious that you don't.
    Ill just finish it then with explanation.  I am a big rpg and space fan and initially mass effect started out as an awesome space series with great potential. Continually worsened and with me4 i hoped it would change and live up to its original. 

I read negative reviews, got dissappointed, then I encountered your positive comment and I tried to dig deeper to get my falling hopes up. Didn't work out. Thanks anyway though. 

Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    Ramajama said:

Ill just finish it then with explanation.  I am a big rpg and space fan and initially mass effect started out as an awesome space series with great potential. Continually worsened and with me4 i hoped it would change and live up to its original. 

I read negative reviews, got dissappointed, then I encountered your positive comment and I tried to dig deeper to get my falling hopes up. Didn't work out. Thanks anyway though. 

I'm sorry I couldn't magically change your already made up mind ;)

No problem, have a nice day.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Lol.... says a VFX Artist who was fired off a game where the animations were apparently horrible :)

Anyway, here's my 2 cents. 

1) Managing multiple offices isn't easy and there are few companies who do it well. Apart from creating silos where each office is responsible for completely separate things which don't require tight integration, this sort of thing is just shitty in general, but doesn't make it a horrible place to work.

2) It's obvious that this person was placed on a performance plan....... Nuff said. Also, it should be noted that Jack Welch introduced the concept that you should always be exiting your bottom 10% back in the 80s. So this guy can thank him for that. Then again, why should a company continue to employ people who are performing below expectations? Why should some guy get paid the same amount as me when I produce 2 times the amount they do? If it's completely unwarranted then take them to court, if they're so absolutely unorganized and broken you should easily win the case, because it would take a serious amount of documentation about your inability to meet the expectations of the organization in order to exit you cleanly.

On top of that, are they saying 10 people were placed on performance plans in 4 years? LMAO!!!!

3) Call it Crunch, call if Finaling mode, whatever. You did this for 2 months? ZOMG! Nooooooooo!!!!!!! Bleeding hearts unite! This tells me that this must be someone new to the industry. Also, if this was so horrible, why were they there for 5 years? 

4) HR is there to protect the company, but part of that is ensuring that the company isn't sued into oblivion. In this day and age, I'm really sorry, but I'd expect to see more proof and less accusation. If harassment is pandemic like this, then I want video or audio. It's not even fucking hard. Being that there is no talk about the level of harassment, my assumption is that this could be something as simple as a manager continually asking this person to get their work done and becoming frustrated with their inability to meet even the lowest standards of the organization. Hence the PIP and being exited. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This is like EA louse but with less information to spill.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    You did read the rest of the former employee reviews at Glass Door, right? Out of EIGHTY SEVEN reviews, 82% would recommend BioWare to a friend for employment and 96% of the reviewers approve of the CEO. This sounds like one guy with sour grapes rather than an ongoing persistent issue.

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Overview/Working-at-BioWare-EI_IE22998.11,18.htm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    We already knew about EA management and was likely the first game dev/publisher to be sued for employee abuse and of course easily lost but got away as is typical with a "settlement".
    So for breaking the law,EA got away settling for LESS than they owed and nobody gets fined on top of that nor does any management lose their jobs.
    In other words give a portion of the money we owe and everyone is happy,carry on but talk to their lawyers to make sure they are not caught next time.

The sad reality is that much of what the employee is talking about is common place in ALL businesses,there really is ZERO law protecting employees unless you have 100% cold hard facts documented on paper or via mails.There are many ways an employer can get rid of an employee and they will do it if you do not act like a slave and in essence we really are slaves in our workplace because our rights are VERY few if any.
    I do not think it would be a secret knowing all developers are pushing their product out way before it is ready and that employees are given incentives or pushed into long over time hours.

However i look at a word like incentive,what exactly does that tell me?You are hoping the workers hands move faster,his brain thinks faster?Are you expecting them to put in added hours on their own time,are you expecting hem to work long hours when barely awake and not thinking straight?I see the same ideas in sports,incentives for so many homeruns or incentives for so many innings pitched etc etc,do they actually think the players are not trying?I feel |MOST employees have pride ,an ego and want to prove their work is the best.Yes there are some real lazy employees everywhere but you'll never change them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like an employee that didn't fit into the "corporate culture", and who tried to "fight the system". That almost always ends badly... for the employee.

"If you talk and ask questions you will be tag as a trouble maker"

Hmmmm... now where have I heard that one before ? Kind of sounds like a line from the average "I was banned from the forums just for asking a question" post. There are many ways to "ask questions", and the way it's phrased is all-important.

He/she was probably one of the 10 that were put on the "Performance Improvement Program". Many big corporate's have similar ways of letting employees know it's time to "shape up or ship out".

I look forward to this individual's next Glassdoor expose...

Btw, this GlassDoor rant in no way constitutes "evidence", it's merely one person's allegations after they were let go, and those are rarely balanced or fair.
    I agree with this. It seems that they didn't like "corporate" culture. Of course none of us can know if this employee has legitimate gripes or not but the lunch remark made me laugh.

While most companies, for the most part don't enforce a strict 30 minutes, depending on your job this is not uncommon.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo