Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former Bioware Employee Who Worked On Mass Effect Andromeda Reveals Awful Working Conditions

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

A former Bioware employee who was a VFX Artist during his five year tenure at the company has revealed the awful working conditions that they had to put up with while working for Bioware. The employee who left an extremely negative review about working at Bioware on Glassdoor revealed the following negatives about working for the developers.

• Bioware Edmonton and Montreal symbiosis is broken. Lots of conflicts and bro culture.
  • Lost over 13 leads (game design, art, audio, prog, senior core leads, etc) in 5 years at Bioware Montreal on Mass Effect. Edmonton lost only 3. It is clear that Edmonton has the bigger part of the stick when it comes to purge Leads and Producers who are not aligned with their leadership style.
  • Putting people on performance improvement program (PIP Program) is the new tactics to get rid of people. Once again more than 10 people in Montreal got slammed with this bureaucratic uppercut to let go people that are not bending to Edmonton leadership styles in the last revision cycle. This approach is used by the Montreal Leadership to purge the mess from the lack of vision cause by upper management in the last 4 years (throwing people under the bus to protect bad core management).
  • Renaming crunch to Finaling mode. Which means company pays for your lunch but you have only 30 minutes to eat and then getting back on the keyboard. Was lasting for over 2 months and was a real catastrophy.
  •  Retaliation and harassment is sadly a reality. If you talk and ask questions you will be tag as a trouble maker and end up in a bad position.
  • HR won’t help you out. They will deny the current harassment from Montreal management by ignoring and not documenting the facts. In other words if you leave don’t talk. Just let it go.
  • Many benefits got cut due to too much time extension to get the game done.
http://thisgengaming.com/2017/03/21/former-bioware-employee-who-worked-on-mass-effect-andromeda-reveals-awful-working-conditions/

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    EA has done it again. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited March 2017
    Human Resources in any company is there to protect the company from the employee and not to protect the employee. 
    Post edited by Grunty on
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Vardahoth said:
    Sounds like every normal tech company I've worked at.
    It's sad, though, because, iirc, BioWare used to be considered one of the happier places.  But, I mean, their leaders left and they got bought out by a massive corp. like EA, so I don't feel at all surprised.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It would explain ME:A that game was definitely not a labour of love, its so unpolished, if not broken that you would have thought that Bioware had outsourced the game to another developer. :o
  • chelvaricchelvaric Member UncommonPosts: 47
    30 mins too eat is pretty standrd in any company tough. i wana see more reports because you never know if this is just an angry employee or a valid opinion
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    chelvaric said:
    30 mins too eat is pretty standrd in any company tough. i wana see more reports because you never know if this is just an angry employee or a valid opinion
    I'm not saying any of what the employee said wasn't true or didn't happen. However, sometimes bitter employees who have been reprimanded or fired have the tendency to exaggerate when they vent.  Big corporations are just about always going to look for ways to streamline and increase productivity.  It doesn't make them evil and EA is most definitely not the first big corporation to come up with tough policies.  It's within their right to weed out the employees who don't conform with their vision.  Besides, I'm sure EA knows full well that there are hundreds of people in line to replace every person who they fire or quits.  Sad but probably true.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Phry said:
    It would explain ME:A that game was definitely not a labour of love, its so unpolished, if not broken that you would have thought that Bioware had outsourced the game to another developer. :o
    Exactly.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Vardahoth said:
    Sounds like most normal jobs to me. 

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2017
    d_20 said:
    Vardahoth said:
    Erm thats why they dont produce anything outstanding. Bioware was one of the  best gaming companies and now is like you said ... mediocre.

so  completely agree with you. normal. mediocre - like ME:A

p.s probably a curse with that EA in the name abbreviation 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Phry said:

How about your beloved Bioware are just shit in these days and your just hanging on to pass glories. 

Bioware haven't made a decent game in years and still follow the same game design as every other Bioware game. 

They are no longer the force you think they are. 

Oh and don't blame it on EA, Bioware chose to jump into bed with them half way through swtor.

So even that game was made predominantly by Bioware. 

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited March 2017
    How many employees who leave or are fired leave the best impressions, though?

This is about as useful as Trump in a debate.
    edited March 2017
    DKLond said:

Oh yes because their product is a stellar example why we should not trust this employee. Sure lets go with that Trump logic.

So much quality and polish:  https://t.co/WSUTTnbHh5
    DKLond said:

Oh yes because their product is a stellar example why we should not trust this employee. Sure lets go with that Trump logic.

Yes, let's use our confirmation bias - based on not liking a video game - as evidence in support of what a random employee says :)

Sounds like Trump logic to me.
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

Yes, let's use our confirmation bias - based on not liking a video game - as evidence in support of what a random employee says :)

"random employee" sounds like "alternative truth" doesn't it?  =)
     The evidence is in the link above what evidence did YOU provided, Spock? 
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I can see it being true but I can also see it as just a bitter ex employee. All it is was an anonymous review of an "ex employee", no name or anything.

This is crap we deal with in any business now, doesn't matter how great it was x years ago, we are talking and dealing with here and now not years ago. 
    edited March 2017
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

No, it sounds like random employee. 

That's my point - there's no useful evidence here to see. I don't have any - and you don't have any.

Disgruntled employees are a dime a dozen - and you'll find them everywhere for any AAA production.

I bet you have them at your place of work, too.
    edited March 2017
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

That's my point - there's no useful evidence here to see. I don't have any - and you don't have any.

Disgruntled employees are a dime a dozen - and you'll find them everywhere for any AAA production.

oh but I have, I just provided a link showing you all the problems with the game and why I think the employee is right. but here is you:

.. and yes maybe we have disgruntled employees but our products are excellent  :3
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like an employee that didn't fit into the "corporate culture", and who tried to "fight the system". That almost always ends badly... for the employee.

"If you talk and ask questions you will be tag as a trouble maker"

Hmmmm... now where have I heard that one before ? Kind of sounds like a line from the average "I was banned from the forums just for asking a question" post. There are many ways to "ask questions", and the way it's phrased is all-important.

He/she was probably one of the 10 that were put on the "Performance Improvement Program". Many big corporate's have similar ways of letting employees know it's time to "shape up or ship out".

I look forward to this individual's next Glassdoor expose...

Btw, this GlassDoor rant in no way constitutes "evidence", it's merely one person's allegations after they were let go, and those are rarely balanced or fair.
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

oh but I have, I just provided a link showing you all the problems with the game and why I think the employee is right. but here is you:

.. and yes maybe we have disgruntled employees but our products are excellent  :3
    Oh, you mean I actually have to agree with you about the game - and then share in your fantasy that this opinion is the objective truth based on a single disgruntled ex-employee?

Yeah, that's not going to happen ;)

Also, I quite like the game.
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

Oh, you mean I actually have to agree with you about the game - and then share in your fantasy that this opinion is the objective truth based on a single disgruntled ex-employee?

Just out of curiosity, which parts of the game you like most and you think it recieved the love of the people working on it? 

I didn't play it, based on my trusted reviewers, its utter soulless crap so far.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Phry said:

How about your beloved Bioware are just shit in these days and your just hanging on to pass glories. 

Bioware haven't made a decent game in years and still follow the same game design as every other Bioware game. 

Oh and don't blame it on EA, Bioware chose to jump into bed with them half way through swtor.

Because its not Bioware anymore. It was not since 2010 when EA bought them. And 2012 when Myzka and Zechuk ( the Bioware Doctors ) left.

Its just another EA company wearing name tag of great company they ruined

Ramajama said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

Just out of curiosity, which parts of the game you like most and you think it recieved the love of the people working on it? 

I didn't play it, based on my trusted reviewers, its utter soulless crap so far.
    So far, the combat, character system and the sheer beauty of the planets would rate the highest in my opinion.

I'm not sure how anyone would measure "love" received. Certainly, a lot of talent and craftsmanship went into those aspects.

I guess I don't play games for the love they've received - but for how fun they are.

Now, I've only played around 10 hours of the game - so it's hard to say how it evolves.

I didn't care much for ME2 and ME3 - so there's that.

So far, I'd rate it around 7.5/10 - but it can easily go both higher and lower than that.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    They pay for the lunch? Outrageous bastards..
    edited March 2017
    Phry said:

Because its not Bioware anymore. It was not since 2010 when EA bought them. And 2012 when Myzka and Zechuk ( the Bioware Doctors ) left.

Its just another EA company wearing name tag of great company they ruined
    Ah, that old myth.

Bioware went full mainstream long before EA took over. Look at Jade Empire versus Baldur's Gate 2.

Even KotOR was designed as a console game. Mass Effect - as an RPG - was already super streamlined and simplified.

Dragon Age was an exception, because it had been in development since right after NWN.

Nah, the good doctors sold to EA BECAUSE they'd changed direction and were ready to hand over control.

I know people love to blame EA - but that's misplaced here.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    d_20 said:
    Vardahoth said:

+3

It's the way of business for the last 15 years everywhere. 

Pro.... Given the opportunity most employees will screw off.

Con... Businesses have gone WAY to far with it.
               Pay is cut too far for the working class, even the educated ones.