Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect: Andromeda - 11 Things to Ease Your Way Into Andromeda - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMass Effect: Andromeda - 11 Things to Ease Your Way Into Andromeda - MMORPG.com

Mass Effect Andromeda will officially go live tonight at 9:00 pm Pacific / 12:00 am Eastern. As many reviews, including our own, have pointed out, the first few hours can be agonizingly difficult with a poor tutorial system or things that simply are not explained at all. After over 140 hours collectively in the game, we’ve gone through the painful process of discovery on your behalf and offer a few words of advice to make your first experiences in game more enjoyable and streamlined.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Gorwe said:
    Where's 12?

12. A bottle of Romulan Ale(guess it's strong enough) to make you forget / adapt to those horrible, uncanny valley facial animations. Come on! SWTOR does a better job of that!
    For Pete's sake. Everyone gets it. Some people don't like the animations. If it's not the game for you, move the heck on and let others enjoy the anticipation and excitement of a new game. *facepalm*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Gorwe said:
    Where's 12?

12. A bottle of Romulan Ale(guess it's strong enough) to make you forget / adapt to those horrible, uncanny valley facial animations. Come on! SWTOR does a better job of that!
    Why are you so desperate to bash anything EA/BW.  You do know not a single person will read your weird, awkward, obsessed blabbering of anything EA/BW and go oh you know that guy who is clearly emotional upset by something EA/BW did to him said its a bad game and not buy it...let me say that again not a single person will base their purchase on your bias, weird, awkward crusade against EA/BW. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The new mass effect is awesome, despite the hate. It has a lot of modern day advancements in it. You can be a dark skinned character, gay/lesbian etc. A lot of RPGs still haven't caught up with the time. Like Witcher 3 is the most racist game I ever played, but thats another topic. In any case, the new Mass Effect also...the story is awesome and such an awesome world(s) to explore. I'm super excited for release. I always loved the new Bioware when they advanced gaming with the new society of the western world.

It does have voice acting (english only, other languages sound better) problems though and animations are like watching twilight zone. But I have to and will always support Bioware, if they don't go back to the dark ages of society.

Other games that are really good if you don't want sci-fi is another Bioware game. Dark Ages Inquisition is amazing, and very beautiful too. If you like MMOs but hate the multiplayer aspect of MMOs, DA:I is perfect. It has amazing voice acting, and great animation. Character models not as good as the new mass effect though.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2017
    I figured out most of those eventually but you're right, the tutorial hints could be better and if the ones you get are all sitting somewhere in the folder infested interface, I couldn't find them when I went looking for them. I also had to google to find out which was the forward camp icon - at first I thought they were the other tower like icon.

The focus on 3 abilities is an important one especially early on. I went with Push, Pull and Shockwave for my Adept and they worked great.

And thanks for the tip on the Sudoko solver. I'm only in the mood to solve those myself occasionally :)

Only 4 hours to go!
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    My only question about this game is:  Is it actually going to be "open world" this time, or am I gonna land on a planet and run through an on-rails, corridor shooter, wash, rinse repeat for 15 planets like ME2?

That's really why I never picked up ME3, cause ME2 bored me horribly by about the 5th planet.

If, on the other hand, I'm going to land on a planet and be able to actually explore it, you know like walking around Witcher 3/Fallout 3/Fallout4 any damn where I want to go next, then I'm excited to give it a shot.
    H0urg1ass said:
    My only question about this game is:  Is it actually going to be "open world" this time, or am I gonna land on a planet and run through an on-rails, corridor shooter, wash, rinse repeat for 15 planets like ME2?

That's really why I never picked up ME3, cause ME2 bored me horribly by about the 5th planet.

If, on the other hand, I'm going to land on a planet and be able to actually explore it, you know like walking around Witcher 3/Fallout 3/Fallout4 any damn where I want to go next, then I'm excited to give it a shot.
    Did you play DAI? The planets are done like the DAI large zones (e.g. Hinterlands) were done. It's wide open within the planet. 10X more open than any previous ME game.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Great article.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited March 2017
    Another tip on your primary three is staggered CD times om either 2 charge skills( I forget the term) or two explosive(again forgot term) skills with the odd man out (explosive or charge) on a short timer so you almost always have a combo ready to go.

Off topic

Uh not sure what you meant by this @SBFord "If it's not the game for you, move the heck on and let others enjoy the anticipation and excitement of a new game. *facepalm"

But that reads like one has more fun anticipating something than actually using it. Odd comment.

./Off topic

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223

SBFord said:

Gorwe said:

Where's 12?

For Pete's sake. Everyone gets it. Some people don't like the animations. If it's not the game for you, move the heck on and let others enjoy the anticipation and excitement of a new game. *facepalm*

Did not expect this from someone whom I do respect and value her work ( and comments ). The animations are so bad that one just cannot move the heck on. Otherwise all we have is a Fallout 4-ish bland RPG.

Have been a ME fan as well. I was here for the immersion and story. Guess i will skip both parts since they are both intern-quality work. A big big, big disappointment for me which I cannot digest in any way.

beLIEve

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283

SBFord said:

Gorwe said:

Where's 12?

Did not expect this from someone whom I do respect and value her work ( and comments ). The animations are so bad that one just cannot move the heck on. Otherwise all we have is a Fallout 4-ish bland RPG.

Have been a ME fan as well. I was here for the immersion and story. Guess i will skip both parts since they are both intern-quality work. A big big, big disappointment for me which I cannot digest in any way.
    Actually a million or so WILL move on and enjoy the game.  The vocal minority like you seeking to feel included by complaining about bad facial expressions will not change a single persons mind.  
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    edited March 2017
    Are we not allowed to voice our disappointment at a game that we WERE excited for? I love the Mass Effect IP and am saddened by this poor installment and I get the opportunity as a consumer to criticize what I find disappointing. Those who labored over the game put their art out and are therefore subject to criticism as anyone else in any artistic field would be and the fact that the lazy animations and poor writing are so off-putting as to prevent some people from buying the game is certainly worth talking about. I will move the heck on when I feel like I've vented enough to do so.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited March 2017

spidii said:

Are we not allowed to voice our disappointment at a game that we WERE excited for? I love the Mass Effect IP and am saddened by this poor installment and I get the opportunity as a consumer to criticize what I find disappointing. Those who labored over the game put their art out and are therefore subject to criticism as anyone else in any artistic field would be and the fact that the lazy animations and poor writing are so off-putting as to prevent some people from buying the game is certainly worth talking about. I will move the heck on when I feel like I've vented enough to do so.

There are tons of threads already doing that why do people need to go onto every thread that has anything to do with the game and bash it. Nothing in this article had anything to do with the graphics or animations. It was a list for those that want to play it to get a step forward because the tutorial didn't really cover them that well. So why try and bring something into a thread that has nothing to do with what the thread is about to begin with. Like they said give it a break already, go create your own thread about how much you hate the animations or even better go to they actual forum for the game itself and create a thread where it might actually get read by someone that could actually do something about it. Complaining on threads like this does nothing at all to make any changes whatsoever to the game itself or change anyone else opinion.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    I just read Mashable didn't like this game at all and linked others who felt the same way.
    http://mashable.com/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-reviews-round-up/#Hax02zUzTiql
    Can't be easy dumping the characters that fans have followed for years and starting a new story.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    spidii said:
    You're allowed to. And someone is also allowed to criticize your opinion.

k61977 said:

spidii said:

There are tons of threads already doing that why do people need to go onto every thread that has anything to do with the game and bash it. Nothing in this article had anything to do with the graphics or animations. It was a list for those that want to play it to get a step forward because the tutorial didn't really cover them that well. So why try and bring something into a thread that has nothing to do with what the thread is about to begin with. Like they said give it a break already, go create your own thread about how much you hate the animations or even better go to they actual forum for the game itself and create a thread where it might actually get read by someone that could actually do something about it. Complaining on threads like this does nothing at all to make any changes whatsoever to the game itself or change anyone else opinion.

I respectfully disagree, I believe we should be voicing our opinions as loudly and in each and every public forum available because that's how this type of thing gets back to the developers. Remember the ME3 ending fiasco? They even when back after the backlash and cleaned up the endings as best they could to try to appease the fanbase and they have already responded to the poor animations on twitter etc...saying that future patches could address such issues. This type of public outcry for a lot of us (and I know there are pure haters) comes from love of the series, I know mine does. I've never liked Sci-Fi and Mass Effect was the first game that sucked me so deep I lost myself. If they ever fix the issues, I'll buy the game immediately but until then, I'll voice my displeasure.

Also, this thread is also here to give tips on how to get into the game without becoming frustrated and the fact that it doesn't address that the animations might put someone off makes this a perfect place for these types of comments. Also, I'm late to the party and this is the first coverage I've really seen of Andromeda so here I am :)

spidii said:

But my opinion is not being criticized, I"m being told to leave the conversation all together.
  • molepeopomolepeopo Member UncommonPosts: 40
    i do find it funny that they get mad when their opinion is criticized but then bash others for speaking their own
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223

SBFord said:

Gorwe said:

Where's 12?

Actually a million or so WILL move on and enjoy the game.  The vocal minority like you seeking to feel included by complaining about bad facial expressions will not change a single persons mind.  

I am sorry. Vocal MINORITY? You should check that word's meaning one more time my friend in case you got it wrong.

You make too many generalizations without solid info my friend. Thats why you sound like someone talking through his/her arse.

Don't talk with your arse.Talk with your face. If its tired though i dont know about that.

beLIEve

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    spidii said:

spidii said:

But my opinion is not being criticized, I"m being told to leave the conversation all together.
    There's 8 pages of animation bashing here http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/462003/i-wanted-mass-effect-4-but-got-something-better-mass-effect-andromeda-review-mmorpg-com/p1 What people are saying is that they don't want every single ME:A thread getting shitted up with the same complaints like the first reply in this thread.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's just that this thread is for those who will play and was supposed to be a fun, interesting, helpful article, not a critique of the game. THAT discussion is currently ongoing in the review thread and is much better placed there. 

The problem is that you're criticizing the game which is utterly off topic for this thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

spidii said:

spidii said:

So then... don't leave? That's what you will do anyway. No one is going to force you to leave the forum. If someone else thinks you should STFU, that doesn't actually mean you have to. I don't understand why you have to play the victim about it. I mean, continue to rise up and vent to your hearts content. Just stop pretending like your cause is righteous. Stop pretending like you are the one defending the world against bad animations in games.
    edited March 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    spidii said:

spidii said:

There's 8 pages of animation bashing here http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/462003/i-wanted-mass-effect-4-but-got-something-better-mass-effect-andromeda-review-mmorpg-com/p1 What people are saying is that they don't want every single ME:A thread getting shitted up with the same complaints like the first reply in this thread.
    I suppose I didn't know that, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I didn't really take his post to be "shitting up the thread" as it seems quite humor driven and what's the point of having a forum if we can't have a little fun :) I guess I'll read through that thread as I'd really like to know if the writing detracts from the game at all, I've been reading that the writing is quite poor from a few reviews and wonder how bad it really is. I just want to enjoy a Mass Effect game but don't want to pay 60 for something half-baked. I know the animations would put me off (hence my criticism) but if the story is good (and voice acting), then I can usually overlook that kind of stuff to some degree. I think I'll just wait to see how it goes and maybe catch it on sale at some point! EA has been having some great sales lately.
    spidii said:

spidii said:

So then... don't leave? That's what you will do anyway. No one is going to force you to leave the forum. If someone else thinks you should STFU, that doesn't actually mean you have to. I don't understand why you have to play the victim about it. I mean, continue to rise up and vent to your hearts content. Just stop pretending like your cause is righteous. Stop pretending like you are the one defending the world against bad animations in games.
    Please describe in more detail how I'm "defending the world against bad animations". I'm defending my right to voice an opinion and discuss it with opposing and like-minded individuals. You're just attacking me because you don't hold the same opinion. I'm not playing a victim, I'm just myself and I think if I want to state: "Another tip should address the animations" then I will. You can disagree and even direct me to another thread where this is more on topic (this is the first topic I saw about Andromeda since getting home from work) but attacking me only shows how insecure you are about my opinion and that you are letting it get the better of you. I'll go check out the other thread so I can get a grasp on what this game is really about, good or bad.
    spidii said:
    spidii said:

spidii said:

Please describe in more detail how I'm "defending the world against bad animations". I'm defending my right to voice an opinion and discuss it with opposing and like-minded individuals. You're just attacking me because you don't hold the same opinion. I'm not playing a victim, I'm just myself and I think if I want to state: "Another tip should address the animations" then I will. You can disagree and even direct me to another thread where this is more on topic (this is the first topic I saw about Andromeda since getting home from work) but attacking me only shows how insecure you are about my opinion and that you are letting it get the better of you. I'll go check out the other thread so I can get a grasp on what this game is really about, good or bad.
    If your opinion is that the animations are not that good, then I agree with you. I think almost everyone does. Again, enough with playing the victim.
    I'm really surprised at the lack of reading comprehension in so many posts here. There already is a review thread where facial animation complaints are all the rage.

This isn't that thread.

This is a thread with game play helpful hints for people who are about to play the game in about 90 minutes.

The refusal to stay on topic here by so many of you can only be seen as a campaign to shout down any MEA threads.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED