Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redirected to online casinos

DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,670
As the title says: I keep getting redirected to some shady online casino.
I'm not even clicking ads or anything - MMORPG just forwards me to the casino.
Harbinger of Fools

Comments

  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 1,876
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
  • rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    agreed





  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,961
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,670
    It's only this site redirecting me and it only just started this morning.
    I should mention it redirects me to a german casino so I believe it targets only a minority of the people on this site.

    Either way, scanning my laptop now just to make sure.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    It happens from time to time, staff here will track down the offending advertiser and get it removed.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • GruntyGrunty Member RarePosts: 8,560
    edited March 2017
    Take a look at the Blogs section.  There's a spammer advertising an online gambling website.  If it's the same website you might mention that in any reports.  I've been reporting these spammers for about 3 days now.  The blogs are slowly being removed.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,579
    It happens when people make posts about cash shops being just like casinos. They want you to see the difference. :chuffed:

    j/k
    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,670
    Grunty said:
    Take a look at the Blogs section.  There's a spammer advertising an online gambling website.  If it's the same website you might mention that in any reports.  I've been reporting these spammers for about 3 days now.  The blogs are slowly being removed.
    Wow I didn't even know we had a blog section. Wtf would want to read that? lol
    But more seriously: I can't tell if it's the same since I closed the opening site asap.

    However I do think I read the word Domino which I can see on the blogs so maybe there really is a relation.

    Also as general update:
    My virus scanner didn't find anything and I haven't been redirected since this morning.
    So either the problem solved itself or Admin ninjaed the bad guys already.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,670
    Morning here and it happened again.
    This time I was forwarded to one of those sites that count clicks and it actually had the nerve to complain about me using adblocker.
    'Please whitelist us now or the owner of the site will not receive the money for your click'
    Harbinger of Fools
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Forgrimm said:
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.



    I've had the exact same bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" redirect happen yesterday while I was reading a thread with my hand off the mouse. Ad Block on too. MMORPG.com has some serious problem with malware running through their ads.

    It seems they can't keep their ads under control so I will not be coming back. I will not be missed.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,056
    That's why I'm running an ad-blocker 24/7. You don't know what's in the ad and more than once it's been proven that there's some mallware hidden in the scripts behind the ads. Then I'm not even mentioning the amount of overhead most ads on sites take...

    AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD FX-8350 ~4.0Ghz
    32Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (GEiL/Corsair)
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4Gb + 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,961
    mmoguy43 said:
    Forgrimm said:
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.



    I've had the exact same bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" redirect happen yesterday while I was reading a thread with my hand off the mouse. Ad Block on too. MMORPG.com has some serious problem with malware running through their ads.

    It seems they can't keep their ads under control so I will not be coming back. I will not be missed.
    Yup, it happened to me again yesterday. I have AdBlock Plus running at all times too. I was in the middle of reading a thread, hadn't even clicked on anything and the re-direct happened.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,056
    Forgrimm said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    Forgrimm said:
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.



    I've had the exact same bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" redirect happen yesterday while I was reading a thread with my hand off the mouse. Ad Block on too. MMORPG.com has some serious problem with malware running through their ads.

    It seems they can't keep their ads under control so I will not be coming back. I will not be missed.
    Yup, it happened to me again yesterday. I have AdBlock Plus running at all times too. I was in the middle of reading a thread, hadn't even clicked on anything and the re-direct happened.
    AdBlock (plus) is no longer a trustworthy ad blocker. The advertiser can pay them to let their ads come through. Just imagine how malware criminals would abuse that...

    I'm surfing pretty save in a 'custom' ad blocker integrated in the Opera browser (which also supports native VPN). Opera has no such policy that they can be paid to allow ads to come through. Opera has always been about the privacy and security of the user, and their ad blocker & VPN just shows exactly that...

    AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD FX-8350 ~4.0Ghz
    32Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (GEiL/Corsair)
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4Gb + 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member EpicPosts: 3,168
    While I dearly love this site and would like to do nothing more than to browse it with absolutely no ad blocking software what so ever, this kind of shit, plus the yet to be achieved https:// stuff is why I currently don't.


    “I was, in days gone by, a believer. But, alas, I came to this beleaguered land and the God in me just … evaporated. Let us change our toast, then, to the God that has forgotten us.”

  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,670
    @Reizla I am using Opera and I have ABP up. However I didn't block all content cause I don't want to deny MMORPG the full income from my visits.

    @Admin  Since I'm not the only one getting this you may have to slap the wrists of a few villains again.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,579
    Dakeru said:
    @Reizla I am using Opera and I have ABP up. However I didn't block all content cause I don't want to deny MMORPG the full income from my visits.

    @Admin  Since I'm not the only one getting this you may have to slap the wrists of a few villains again.
    Did you test whether enabling adblocker prevented this behavior?

    I have adblock plus disabled on this site, and have for a long time, and haven't been able to trigger the behavior you describe yet.
    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,529
    I use no adblockers and have been visiting this site several times a day since Bill was in school getting bullied. Have never been redirected ir anything. 
    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: One Second from One Second (1997) by Paradise Lost
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro. 
    • Adopted @Kyleran as my virtual father - I put him in my signature since he worries about me all the time and this way he can keep track of me when I talk to strangers here!
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Currently Playing: Spider-Man: Turf Wars / The Division farewell tour / Grim Fandango Remastered / Aven Colony
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 8,396
    Regular adblock is much better than the plus version,  I'm not even sure it's made by the same people.  Stands, is good and has an addon that lets you set how many ads can be allowed.   

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Sign In or Register to comment.