Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG For Breeding/Gardening/Crafting?

CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
edited March 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I bought a new laptop after not having one since 2013. I play Moba's like SMITE which I really enjoy, but I miss MMORPG games. I bought ESO a few years ago, I am a founder of Albion, bought FFIX and played WoW (won't ever return) and loved the Animals and fishing and gardening in Archeage (won't return to that either). My QUESTION is, what games have fun great use of gardening, fishing and animal breeding along with obviously good game play?

I havent played Albion online on a computer only on mobile. I miss ESO but the lack of diversity in classes was disappointing. I bought BDO last year but never actually bought a laptop to play it on, so never even played it.

My laptop is an i5 with 16GB of ram with a dedicated video card with 2 GB vram. Graphics look beautiful on it. I know it will be able to handle these current MMORPG's on medium or high. Any ideas or a thread to point me to? 

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    BDO is a very good choice!
    Farming is a pretty lucrative activity on there, as is fishing.

The only animal breeding it has is horses though, but that one's pretty rewarding too, especially once you get up to being able to get the higher tiers, which will be needed to get the new mounts that are coming with the expansion (like the Pegasus).

Some links on the above subjects.

http://dulfy.net/2016/03/06/black-desert-gardening-and-farming-guide/
    http://dulfy.net/2016/03/03/black-desert-online-horse-taming-and-breeding-guide/
    NeoGriim

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited March 2017
    Black Desert has most of what you seem to want. Not sure if I would classify it being the best in all of these categories but they are there.

Horse Breeding
    Pet Breeding (Cash Shop Pet's Expect to spend $$$ for this)
    Garden Plots / Farming
    Fishing / Whale Hunting
    In depth worker system for harvesting / crafting
    Player harvesting
    Crafting Boats / Horse Carriages / etc
    Trade systems
    Much More

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    edited March 2017
    Things work differently in BDO, but as a dedicated lifeskiller who doesn't craft in any other game if she can help it, I have to say it's pretty addicting. I just got my first pegasus-ready horse, and I'm about to trick out my 1 combat character in all new gear with silver I made from my network of peons who gather for me. Crafting just about anything can make you silver, since you only pay peons in beer, which you craft yourself. Almost everything can be crafted as well. Boss armor is the exception, but it's so hard to enhance most people don't bother. Housing and node connecting are competition free, so you can get all the good stuff without cash shop(looking at you Archeage!).
    It's a pretty game as well. The sandbox style doesn't appeal to everyone, and the learning curve is rather steep, as you can see from the forums here. I log in my combat char when my guild does scrolls, and that's about it. PvP isn't anywhere near the gankfest I was afraid it'd be, with the addition of more channels when they merged servers it's easy enough to find an empty grind spot. The rest of my time is spent on lifeskills. And I'm Rich! Rich I tell you! Rich!

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    If you can get past the fact it's an indie MMO, RPG MO (it's on Steam & free) has Breeding, player islands, Farming, Fletching, Woodcutting and a bunch of other skills.

Might be worth checking out, just took me awhile to get into.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Project Gorgon perhaps, but still a work in progress.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its still UO , nothing has changed
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Archeage is a good option.
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    stardew valley  =)

on a more serious note : black desert
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    Project Gorgon perhaps, but still a work in progress.
    That's what I was going to say

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Archeage
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Scorchien said:
    Its still UO , nothing has changed
    For breeding and crafting SWG-Emu is still an option as well. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I'll suggest some less known MMORPGS with those features.

Personally I've tried BDO and the only intersting mechanism I experienced is fishing. Breeding is awful imo, you'll have to put ALOT of money if you want to advance and gardening is indifferent.

ArcheAge has very nice fishing and open sea features too and quite interesting gardening but very shallow breeding.

Now some of my suggestions:

Mortal Online has a very in-depth crafting, fishing and animal taming-breeding mechanism. It also has gardening I think and atm they are adding some patches for quality of life feautres (improving housing atm etc). It's one of the hardest games to get into tho.

Haven and Hearth (Hafen 2 now) also has in-depth crafting/gardening and animal taming/breeding.

Ultima Online, the pioneer ofcourse, there are several private servers around that offer a great experience.

Life is Feudal, Villagers and Heroes, The Repopulation (relaunched recently, in fluid state), Tree of Life, Wild Terra

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Well FFXI imo has the best gardening and fishing but very grindy,meaning it takes a lot of time and effort to get anywhere.Crafting overall is massive but the design is basically one that wanted you to only take advantage of all it's glory with your 2nd or 3rd class because it levels behind your current player class.

As for breeding,i don't think i have seen a good breeding game and if one does exist the rest of the game is likely crap because i do not know of such a game.

Yes i do remember a small bit of MO ,played it for like 2 days,i didn't know it was still running.I would say that game offers a bit of what you desire but if i remember it was an open pvp game?Not like it would have more than maybe 20-30 players login anyhow lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited March 2017
    Black Desert has most of what you seem to want. Not sure if I would classify it being the best in all of these categories but they are there.

Horse Breeding
    Garden Plots / Farming
    Fishing / Whale Hunting
    Player harvesting
    Trade systems
    Much More
    Yeah, it is either that or Ryzom. None of the larger MMOs today have particularly good crafting, they are focused on killing stuff.

An alternative would be one of the private SWG servers, but I am not 100% how legal those are nad it would be best to check that up before considering it, you don't want to start on a server that could be close down any moment by Lucas art or Disney.

Edit: I might have formulated that better, Black desert is rather large compared to anything else with acceptable crafting even in the west. But then Ryzoms crafting is far better  even if the game is a niche game today.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    BDO as many have already suggested would be my pick too. I loved building up my worker empire and growing  my gardens slowly and then making my own trade crates with what I grew and selling them with my own wagon which I also built. Initially the game can be overwhelming but once you can get the hang of it ,it becomes a joy to work at it. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    edited March 2017
    Best games for that start like this. Star wars galaxies best crafting, best beast taming, best housing. Ryzom takes second. Ultima online 3rd. Mortal online has really good crafting and good taming, but is a horrid game. Black desert is a bad choice for crafting as it has no economy and you can't trade. Eve online has good economy but crafting is boring and every one makes the same stuff. Uncharted waters online has a economy and good crafting, but it is 1000s percent pay 2 win. Then you got the rest of mmos  that go in last. Final fantasy 15 every one makes the same thing, everquest all of them every one makes the same thing,  wow every one makes the same thing, arche age is bad because it is all random and pay 2 win every one still makes the same thing, guild wars every one makes the same thing, eso every one makes the same thing.

So I recommend you try star wars galaxies emu, so you see top crafting and taming. Then you play wow to see the most generic horrid crafting , then you can gauge for your self.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Loke666 said:

Horse Breeding
    Garden Plots / Farming
    Fishing / Whale Hunting
    Player harvesting
    Trade systems
    Much More
    Yeah, it is either that or Ryzom. None of the larger MMOs today have particularly good crafting, they are focused on killing stuff.

An alternative would be one of the private SWG servers, but I am not 100% how legal those are nad it would be best to check that up before considering it, you don't want to start on a server that could be close down any moment by Lucas art or Disney.

Edit: I might have formulated that better, Black desert is rather large compared to anything else with acceptable crafting even in the west. But then Ryzoms crafting is far better  even if the game is a niche game today.
    Star wars galaxies is 100 percent legal. They wrote the server code from scratch and don't accept money for profit.
    Loke666 said:

Horse Breeding
    Garden Plots / Farming
    Fishing / Whale Hunting
    Player harvesting
    Trade systems
    Much More

Star wars galaxies is 100 percent legal. They wrote the server code from scratch and don't accept money for profit.
    Isn't the proviso you must buy an original, legal client software package from someone who owns one?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    What was interesting in Black Desert Online was when I first started the game I saw all these wagons with different colours and shapes rushing about and the game looked so busy with them running headlong at you that I was tempted to jump out of their way.

I then went and looked up the requirement of building one and positively wilted. It was tonnes of work and I got quite disheartened but then I realised anything worth doing had to take effort. So I began the simple task of getting the resources and slowly getting workers and opening nodes. 

While I was thus engaged it became obvious I also needed money so I looked into fishing  and again I noticed the boats and was floored when I saw what I needed to make one. I was determined to do all these things however and took up gardening and also breeding horses. 

You might wonder what happened to the traditional thing most people do in MMORPGs which is fighting well for me BDO was all about the network of trading, workers and resources. I had little to no interest in PvP so that aspect of the game was shoved aside in favour of the gem that is the PvE in BDO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    Loke666 said:

Horse Breeding
    Garden Plots / Farming
    Fishing / Whale Hunting
    Player harvesting
    Trade systems
    Much More

Isn't the proviso you must buy an original, legal client software package from someone who owns one?
    That's where you are supposed to say you got the client, but there are ways....;)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

kitarad said:
    What was interesting in Black Desert Online was when I first started the game I saw all these wagons with different colours and shapes rushing about and the game looked so busy with them running headlong at you that I was tempted to jump out of their way.

I then went and looked up the requirement of building one and positively wilted. It was tonnes of work and I got quite disheartened but then I realised anything worth doing had to take effort. So I began the simple task of getting the resources and slowly getting workers and opening nodes. 

While I was thus engaged it became obvious I also needed money so I looked into fishing  and again I noticed the boats and was floored when I saw what I needed to make one. I was determined to do all these things however and took up gardening and also breeding horses. 

You might wonder what happened to the traditional thing most people do in MMORPGs which is fighting well for me BDO was all about the network of trading, workers and resources. I had little to no interest in PvP so that aspect of the game was shoved aside in favour of the gem that is the PvE in BDO.
    Wait. You ran into several significant challenges in a MMORPG and decided to face them head on?

How ever will they be able to make money in a cash shop from a player like you?  :p

I have never been the demographic they are after anyway. 

edited March 2017
    Essentially gardening, gathering ,breeding ,building up resources is single player where you cannot trade between characters not considering the auction house as a means to gain some of the raw material. I can understand your question but he asked about having fun gardening,fishing and animal breeding.

I am not debating the requirements of an MMO or why I would engage in such a game because as long as I'm having fun (big plus) I am not worrying my nails about whether I'm playing an MMO. I leave that to the unsatisfied and unhappy posters on this forums. There are enough of them to debate the point  out on weekly threads on that subject.

I don't worry about definitions and whether this is an MMO or am I interacting and fulfilling some quota to satisfy a disgruntled old schooler. I have served my time from 1999 to present in this genre to satisfy my one need ...FUN.
     If a game manages to do that for me I'm all in.
    Existentialist

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2017
    Torval said:
    ikcin said:
    kitarad said:

Now, please explain to me, how do you play a MMO game in that case? As everything you mention, except the PvP, is singleplayer.
    You're really stuck on this "play my way or it's the highway" thing aren't you? The game isn't single player and saying so is idiotic.
    Is it so idiotic Torval , The game does not cultivate any Social Interaction to build this boat , None ...It does not promote/require or need any social interaction to craft , harvest set up farms , anyhting for any of these activities they are all Single player activity ...

Wherein a game for ex .. Vanguard , when you need to build a big boat it promoted and demanded socail interaction , with friends . Guildmates , and or the community to help , aquire the mats and build the boat ...Same in Archeage for the bigger Boats ...

In BDO its just you .. so it is basically a single player activity , BDO does not cultivate any social interaction at all or nearly at all , its not needed till end game Warfare .... And most players of BDO dont take part in that .....The game does cultivate solo play from 1-50+ ...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    When I was playing Vanguard at one point I made everything by myself boats and houses. Of course I had loads of crafters and carpel tunnel at the end of it but the population in the game was so miserable it was faster to make every kind of crafter and collect the resources and make the things yourself. Of course was not going to build a galleon but the smaller boats totally doable.
    Chamber of Chains