Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE Dev's forcing backers to get less then what they paid for?

XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17939/the-five-kingdom-limit?page=2#post185819

Caspian just confirmed they are leaving it at 6 kingdoms and not budging. Now the problem is, there's 13 kingdoms between 2 servers. There are two of three layaway kingdoms and possibly more unknown ones.

Looks like some of those people who put in more money then the Duke pledge will be forced not to get what they want but be forced to become a duke and have extra ingame money (lol)

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

Comments

• SerMedievalSerMedieval Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Ouch... I was thinking of backing again a few days ago. Think I might wait a bit and see what this means for the lower packages now. Or if they get shafted as well.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited March 2017
    Ouch... I was thinking of backing again a few days ago. Think I might wait a bit and see what this means for the lower packages now. Or if they get shafted as well.
    You were going to buy a kingdom? Can I be your new best friend? ;)

As to the link not quite sure what's going on, looks like they are trying to head off problems.

I find it amazing they are struggling because too many people are trying to buy kingdoms.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    either back in full or go layaway and then pay it all at once is what I suggest cause if you don't the amount of spaces for barons/counts/dukes might fill up and you'll be forced to get a lower tier with extra ingame cash you didn't want in the first place.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Oh dear, they seem to be running out of $10K kingships to sell !

I wonder what price they'll be selling for on eBay, now that they're officially "out of stock" ? :lol:
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:

As to the link not quite sure what's going on, looks like they are trying to head off problems.

I find it amazing they are struggling because too many people are trying to buy kingdoms.
    Perhaps they aren't selling enough ?

Announcing that there's only a "limited supply" may encourage some fence-sitters to take the plunge NOW before they're "all sold out"...
  • RaZKaLzRaZKaLz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    is there a way to buy all 6 kingdoms on 1 server?
  • Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Kingdoms are given based on your purchase date.  You would have had to buy all 6 kingdoms before anyone else bought one. 

If a person has not pledged for a kingdom by now, or at least put their kingdom on layway, I do not believe they are committed enough to deserve to be King.  It is not like this game has been hidden behind a shroud of silence without people knowing about it.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm going to laugh when this game launches and some asshat guild like Goon Squad rolls in and commits several acts of coup de grace on these people. Some might be lucky enough to have an heir to inherit their kingdom, but some might not. Probably the fastest way to lose $10,000 in an MMO.
    can't promise we'll coup de grace but I can promise we're all going down in the ship.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Void425 said:
    Kingdoms are given based on your purchase date.  You would have had to buy all 6 kingdoms before anyone else bought one. 

If a person has not pledged for a kingdom by now, or at least put their kingdom on layway, I do not believe they are committed enough to deserve to be King.  It is not like this game has been hidden behind a shroud of silence without people knowing about it.
    So some Dude that only plunked down $9000 for a promise in a future possible video game is "not committed enough"?

This is sounding more cult-like every day...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    PLEDGE  lmao ..seriously,are we going to use a term like pledge?

This is  RMT,real money trading,you give the business money,they give you something in return,it ruins the very integrity of the game and the business.

So just like SC this game has lost it's integrity,100% not the kind of business i want to support.
    IDC if this was the best game on the planet,not even if 50x better than any other game,when i lose faith or trust in your business,i do not want to ever support you.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    They should consult Chris Roberts, he NEVER runs out of virtual things to sell, no matter how expensive.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    That is because Chris Roberts isn't new to the industry, or business in general.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Sell spaceships and kingdoms! MMO's of today!
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    Kyleran said:

No they created these problems knowing full well they wouldn't be able to fulfill purchases.   They knew they would have only so many "kingdoms" per server and by default already had a really good idea how many dukes etc etc there would be in game or would be possible on a server.

They should have capped "kingdom" sales to 12, 6 per server, instead they took more people's money knowing they would have to force them to accept a lower title with in game money as compensation.

I will say it again this is working out a whole lot like the Revival game...

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I like how all of the "drama" regarding the CoE packages tends to revolve around the high tier packages.  There are currently 32 backers in the top 3 tiers.  I think these people can think for themselves, lets not try to do it for them.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2017
    Make the kingdoms instanced so you can sell unlimited amounts of them.  Oh, and um... get an artist to paint really pretty pictures of them, maybe making them actual castles (well, pictures of castles) that just happened to be called kingdoms.  And then sell them.  And pictures of them.  In unlimited quantities. Hey, it worked for Star Citizen (actually, scrap the "instanced" part then.  ...why are they admitting this when they could be selling more kingships?)
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:

I would've bought a kingdom if they were running a campaign for 25-30m. But they went for an excuse of a campaign instead. They lost a customer, you lost a best friend ;)
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading to me.   Backers donate; customers pay.  The developers may have made promises to encourage backers and may be about to unravel those promises, but no one is getting 'less than they paid for'.  The correct semantic statement should be 'less than they expected'.

I find it fascinating when the guy on the corner you just gave money to went straight to the liquor store and you are outraged.  Crowd-funding provides exactly the same fiscal and legal safeguards as panhandling.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:

No they created these problems knowing full well they wouldn't be able to fulfill purchases.   They knew they would have only so many "kingdoms" per server and by default already had a really good idea how many dukes etc etc there would be in game or would be possible on a server.

They should have capped "kingdom" sales to 12, 6 per server, instead they took more people's money knowing they would have to force them to accept a lower title with in game money as compensation.

Ive gone back and re-read the posted thread, it doesn't say at all what you think it says.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:

Ive gone back and re-read the posted thread, it doesn't say at all what you think it says.

Perhaps you're not reading my post properly.  They sold more of each "title" than they have room for thus the problem.

Now if this is not true then they need to come out and say so BUT that's not what they are saying.

The relevant part:

To conclude, do not disregard our limits. They are not moving again. If you purchase a King package before we get a chance to put a cap on the purchase page, you're going to find yourself either on a server you didn't plan on, or without a Kingdom. Then you'll have to make due with your Duchy, Design Experiences, and joining us for a fun weekend of gaming, but will otherwise have to trade in the King title for EP

Now it says they will put a limit and I am saying there should have been a limit from the start.  As it stands now there good chances they wont have enough "room" so some people will be bumped down a title.

This could a be a big problem...consider what happens if someone paid for king, gets bumped down to duke but duke are all sold out to people that bought duke?

Do they then bump down a duke buyer to make room for the king buyer?

Now that said they say if there no more king room you get EP...so you dont even get a title period?   That seems ..not right?

Also why bother with influence point...the whole point of this was to be able to make sure you had spot but now they say no no goes with purchase date.  Seems like backpedaling to me.

They even admit they did not know what the limit they were going to have initially yet they were selling each title without caps in place.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:

Perhaps you're not reading my post properly.  They sold more of each "title" than they have room for thus the problem.

Now if this is not true then they need to come out and say so BUT that's not what they are saying.

The relevant part:

To conclude, do not disregard our limits. They are not moving again. If you purchase a King package before we get a chance to put a cap on the purchase page, you're going to find yourself either on a server you didn't plan on, or without a Kingdom. Then you'll have to make due with your Duchy, Design Experiences, and joining us for a fun weekend of gaming, but will otherwise have to trade in the King title for EP

Now it says they will put a limit and I am saying there should have been a limit from the start.  As it stands now there good chances they wont have enough "room" so some people will be bumped down a title.

This could a be a big problem...consider what happens if someone paid for king, gets bumped down to duke but duke are all sold out to people that bought duke?

Now that said they say if there no more king room you get EP...so you dont even get a title period?   That seems ..not right?

Also why bother with influence point...the whole point of this was to be able to make sure you had spot but now they say no no goes with purchase date.  Seems like backpedaling to me.

They even admit they did not know what the limit they were going to have initially yet they were selling each title without caps in place.

The way I read it, the limits have not been exceeded yet, and they are cautioning people to not try and exceed them in order to try and  force others who already have their spot saved from the server.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    People affected by this change are totally fine with that. They opted for throwing money at a promise so they knew the risks and accepted them before paying.

Can't complain now. Sorry, not sorry.

Stop paying for promises and wait for a finished product.

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    "To conclude, do not disregard our limits. They are not moving again. If you purchase a King package before we get a chance to put a cap on the purchase page, you're going to find yourself either on a server you didn't plan on, or without a Kingdom. Then you'll have to make due with your Duchy, Design Experiences, and joining us for a fun weekend of gaming, but will otherwise have to trade in the King title for EP."

=/
    JamesGoblin
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:

The relevant part:

The way I read it, the limits have not been exceeded yet, and they are cautioning people to not try and exceed them in order to try and  force others who already have their spot saved from the server.

Did you read this post from the same thread?

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17939/the-five-kingdom-limit?page=1#post185752

https://puu.sh/uNnbg/9ed2bf95eb.jpg

Seems they told people to disregard the limit at some point, dunno but looks like they should have been clear and put limit right from the start.

Like most KS if they offer something that really big for a big ticket price you can see right on the KS that those packages are limited.

edited March 2017
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:

The relevant part:

Did you read this post from the same thread?

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17939/the-five-kingdom-limit?page=1#post185752

https://puu.sh/uNnbg/9ed2bf95eb.jpg

Seems they told people to disregard the limit at some point, dunno but looks like they should have been clear and put limit right from the start.

Like most KS if they offer something that really big for a big ticket price you can see right on the KS that those packages are limited.

From the quote posted above yours it would appear the limits haven't been exceeded yet.

As to placing the limits earlier, in reading the original thread they were fluid when these packages were first offered and now are no longer in question.

But I won't be shedding any tears if anyone loses out in any of this.