Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of a Game: Age of Conan

FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
Age of Conan is now officially in maintenance mode and won't be getting any more updates from now an.

While many complained about daily quests and faction grinds, I still believe that Rise of the Godslayer is one of the best expansions ever released for an MMO. The tiger mount you could train was extremely cool.

Nerdslayer just recently made an interesting video about the troubled history of AoC:

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Do you have a source?
    --------------------------------------------
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Do you have a source?
    Funcom announced it in the recent financial report: http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/27/the-secret-world-is-being-relaunched-in-2017/
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited March 2017
    this game lasted like 6-8 years.  im shocked.  i just remember playing it at launch and how me and my friend quit after a month when we found out there wasnt any city sieges on elephants/mammoths like they said there would be or sth of that nature.  was a long time ago haha.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "Death" is relative in this case, the game will still be running and will keep getting new players, just not large crowds.

If Anarchy Online is anything to go by, the AoC servers will still be up in 2024, lol
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2017
    Not surprising, Funcom is investing their resources in new titles with a promise of increasing financial success.

Aging MMORPGs is not the place to drop money into, you just milk those cash cows until they one day keel over.

CCP seems to be doing the same, but without a successful new title.

Maybe they need to make a survival game? ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:

CCP seems to be doing the same, but without a successful new title.

Maybe they need to make a survival game? ;)
    Perhaps with... vampires ?

/runsandhides
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    What new Funcom games?   Full fledged MMOs or more mobile games?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    AoC is the perfect example of how important an mmo launch is and the first impression. Released too early and it never recovered, I played it a year after launch for several months and again 3 years after launch and had a blast each time on two different servers. I tried to return to it several more times but couldn't as it just felt dated and empty. It will remain one of my top 10 mmo's and the best real "M" rating as it was an mmo made for adults rather than children.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Well deserved ending in my opion, was given a perma ban for asking when bar room brawling would be added around 3 months in. I am not a Funcom fan.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Two words.   Combo System.........
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I tried to recover my account about a year ago, I had preordered with all the goodies but no longer had the email account attached to the game. I even offered to give them the CD key and never heard back from them. Just bad service. When you can't be arsed to help a person who wants to play your game, maybe it is time to hang up your jock.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    The game was beautiful, but the combat was terrible. If you're going to name your title Conan, the combat better be darn good. It wasn't.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited March 2017
    Golelorn said:
    The game was beautiful, but the combat was terrible. If you're going to name your title Conan, the combat better be darn good. It wasn't.
    Agreed and its still beautiful.  Combat, ugh.  The combo system required binding your 5 best keys to the combo direction keys, then you still had all the regular skills on top of that which started the combo moves. And worst part is they built the combos backwards so every time it leveled and it added a new "step" the step didn't go at the end of the combo extending the order you already had memorized it went at the beginning so combo order keep changing while you were leveling, it was a mess.  On top of that there were shields you had to keep re- positioning around your charcater to try to block the incoming combo damage specifically the final step of the combo, getting your shield to be in the place of their combo arrow, top side etc.

Also you had to complete the whole combo in order to get he full damage from it so the whole system just fell apart in PvP since eveyone would just dodge away when you started combos.  It was an interesting experiment on paper but never should of ended up in game.  The people that actually liked it defended it like mad on the forums, all 300 hundred that stuck around to play.

However casters just smashed single buttons like a traditional MMO, made no sense at all.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    "Death" is relative in this case, the game will still be running and will keep getting new players, just not large crowds.

If Anarchy Online is anything to go by, the AoC servers will still be up in 2024, lol
    Yep, that was my thought too... Sure after the financial report and the official maintenance mode it's a well-timed video, but he starts with listing the 3 categories by which he choose a game for the "death of ..." series, and AoC fits into none of those.
    Still, it was a nice video, with some minor factual errors here and there.

I agree with the positive list at the end (lore, story, music, gfx, combat system), but only with half of the fail reasons he listed :wink:  as in 1.5 of the 3 mentioned.

The teeter totter balancing is spot on, those were the stupidest years of the game, anything the pvp'ers whined about loud enough got quickly rehashed, no matter how it wrecked the overall gameplay. As a straight counter to "stupidest", the smartest choice was when they decided: screw them whiners, and put an /ignore mode on the pvp. Crom lived on strong (and who cares about the empty pvp server :awesome:  though two years ago they tried to throw some bones to them as well, even planned to mess with Crom too, luckily the uproar was fierce enough to leave the PvE alone).

Bugs and perf. issues - I can't really relate to that, I barely had any (laughed though the Ati remark in the video), probably just had a lucky config.

Funcom'd, that's the half agree. The player side ("the hype was enormous and they didn't deliver all"), well, when do people learn not to jump up on hype trains? :lol:
    The other half is valid though, Funcom "finished" the game with Godslayer, and then put it on back burner for the sake of TSW, just like they did with AO for AoC, and now they do with TSW for Exiles and the new TSW-themed game later this year. They do this all the time, and it's a shame for their veteran players.
    During the near 5 years since TSW's launch, AoC got barely anything besides a couple smaller tweaks, and Dragon's Spine...

So yep, game is on maintenance mode since years, this report just made it official. Still, as Gekko wrote, it is not the death of the game, just means it will continue in its current state, without the -over the years already diminished- hope for any change or content update.
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Great video thanks for sharing. I loved playing Age of Conan as I went into it knowing about the bad launch and did not expect a lot back then and I was really surprised how fun this game was. Tortage was a fun place to level and you would make another character just to go back haha and the fighting style was the best I have played in any mmo thus far. I totally agree with anything they did afterwards was to little to late but I am glad I had a chance to get into this game. Conan Exiles I am currently playing and am having a blast with it . I really suggest people check it out.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    It was a good video and just to check him out I also watched his one on Star Wars Galaxies.  Both suffered from the same faults.  His facts on the how's and why's to many times were just his opinions.  Like ...

To support his lack of population reason he sighted only Steam numbers.  Now I know it must be hard to really find out how many are playing a game, but basing a 2008 game on Steam numbers is just silly as IMHO most players are old box players or just don't use Steam.

He also sighted his 'fact' F/C was still screwed up because he couldn't get the store to work so he could access his old higher level character, which I'm taking to mean he wasn't able to buy Godslayer, Turan etc...  Store seems to work pretty much for everyone else so who knows what his problem was.

Is AoC dying?  Sure no argument there.  Has F/C made some really bad choices?  Once again sure, but are you the all knowing expert on the subject ..... ? 

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

This discussion has been closed.