Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Level Design - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Level Design - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

The Star Citizen team is hard at work on the game and one of its most visible components, level design, is the subject of the latest Around the Verse.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MtomMtom Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Coolest ATV so far
  • raazmanraazman Member UncommonPosts: 35
    The content they showed off is astounding.
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Keep it up CIG...mindblowing!!!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's still pretty much concept work.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    This promo videos arent free, they are made to fool more people to invest in a dead project, or almost dead project.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Nice CGI.
    Have fun.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• MtomMtom Member UncommonPosts: 24

exile01 said:

This promo videos arent free, they are made to fool more people to invest in a dead project, or almost dead project.

Yeah 5 studios and few hundred devs working just to make videos so they can scam people and......pay those devs with the money :)
    So long tinfoilhat, your chariot to wonderland awaits. Pff LOL
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

Mtom said:

exile01 said:

Yeah 5 studios and few hundred devs working just to make videos so they can scam people and......pay those devs with the money :)

Haha what a sheep,enjoy getting scammed. This will go as the biggest scam in gaming history.
    2020 confirmed.
    Have fun.
    (^O^)/

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Mtom said:

exile01 said:

There will need to be a final KS to fund rehab for trolls when it launches ......
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2017
    Skipping through the video I thought to myself that the characters were walking much more smoothly - so I clicked around a bit more and sure enough that was something they had been working on.

And whilst it can at times be akin to "watching paint dry" seeing a game develop step by step has its own fascination.

You can also see why certain decisions get made in games, why, for example, we often end up with cookie cutter dungeons. We "know" that it is to save time but when you see all the bits available to make "buildings" you realise why they build a library of "rooms" to speed it up. The downside as you do so is less "individuality of course so its all about finding a balance. With one eye on style consistency as well.

Lighting is looking very good as well. Feel sure there will be a film or TV series at some point Edit: interesting to compare the SC stuff to Mass Effect as well - which is finished of course. There is some good stuff in ME as well.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Waiting for the "concerned" consumers on these boards to write about how they spend backers money on pool tables.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited March 2017

It's still pretty much concept work.

You may want to educate yourself about what concept works stands for.

The footage shows a game, a real one, in the making with all systems and subsystems taking form and place.

I know that to some people here, not necessarily you, this is bad news indeed.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They are surely making use of the movie making studio they built. Basically the first thing they used funds for. Which should tell everyone something.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited March 2017
    rodarin said:
    They are surely making use of the movie making studio they built. Basically the first thing they used funds for. Which should tell everyone something.
    What in gods name is what you just said got to do with a video about level design lol?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Star Citizen threads never fail to deliver....

There's certainly a lot of early design/prototyping going on so when we'll get to see the gameplay, I don't know.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

There's certainly a lot of early design/prototyping going on so when we'll get to see the gameplay, I don't know.

There comes a time when a game has just taken too long.

It would be a great pity if SC ends up being 2017's Game of the Year, delivered in 2020...
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

It would be a great pity if SC ends up being 2017's Game of the Year, delivered in 2020...
    Honest curiosity, what would you or others consider too long? 

For me it's hard to gauge, because you have people that say X game needs to come out now, but when a game that's been in development for  5+ years releases, people say it needed a year or 2 more. Also should it taken in consideration what type of game they're making and what steeps are need to be taken?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Herase said:

Honest curiosity, what would you or others consider too long? 

For me it's hard to gauge, because you have people that say X game needs to come out now, but when a game that's been in development for  5+ years releases, people say it needed a year or 2 more. Also should it taken in consideration what type of game they're making and what steeps are need to be taken?
    I can't put a number on it, sometimes circumstances just overtake the process. If it takes 8 or 10 years to produce something, the market may change so much in that time that the final product is no longer relevant.

New technologies (like SpatialOS) can emerge that have the potential to totally change what's possible in MMO's. Meanwhile, your team is working their asses off to try and get your 5 year old design and tech to do 25% of what SpatialOS can do without breaking a sweat.

My point is really that any MMO taking longer than 5 years to get to market in today's rapidly changing world is taking a huge risk. And SC seems set to comfortably pass the 5-year mark...
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Mtom said:

exile01 said:

S O E...

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I wouldn't want to work in that open office they showed. Too many people in the same room. If someone is having a dicussion somewhere, the whole room can basically stop working because it's gonna be impossible to concentrate.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    These are nice changes TBH.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Anireth said:

I wouldn't want to work in that open office they showed. Too many people in the same room. If someone is having a dicussion somewhere, the whole room can basically stop working because it's gonna be impossible to concentrate.

Headphones
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    :Modular" is not good game design,it is just EASIER game design.

He is big time exaggerating on time to build the game and assets.1 guy can build a nice area in one month,10 mappers can build obviously 10/month.So in one year,even if needing double the time,you can have 60 zones.

A lot of the assets are just 2d and the rest is mainly just hulls with maybe a few rooms full of assets.
    As well they could have simply gone the route of EQ next and have gamer's create assets and even a zone.Space is not hard to make,you add in some fake planets/asteroids with the odd station or asset.
    Sounds to me like they really only have 2-3 people working on level design and that is not enough.So then i wonder how many are working on textures,i figure not many.

Basically this is Shards Online,everything is modules they just automate throughout different zones.Only likely LESS because it will have less npc's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wizardry said:
    :Modular" is not good game design,it is just EASIER game design.

He is big time exaggerating on time to build the game and assets.1 guy can build a nice area in one month,10 mappers can build obviously 10/month.So in one year,even if needing double the time,you can have 60 zones.

A lot of the assets are just 2d and the rest is mainly just hulls with maybe a few rooms full of assets.
    As well they could have simply gone the route of EQ next and have gamer's create assets and even a zone.Space is not hard to make,you add in some fake planets/asteroids with the odd station or asset.
    Sounds to me like they really only have 2-3 people working on level design and that is not enough.So then i wonder how many are working on textures,i figure not many.

Basically this is Shards Online,everything is modules they just automate throughout different zones.Only likely LESS because it will have less npc's.

Whoa!!!! Easy there partner! That's quite a vastly incorrect assumption. 

Modular design IS good game design, DOES produce a more flexible product that is resilient to change, and it is NOT easy....at all! There is a reason that object-oriented programming is a thing. Honestly, that statement just made you sound silly to anyone who knows anything about software development.

As far as assets go, you don't need to guess how long things were taking at CIG, there was a leaked email from a former CIG artist who detailed exactly how much time it takes to get something in-game. In GENERAL! It takes 3-6 weeks to get a CHARACTER into a game. During their time at CIG (17 months total) they got a total of 5 characters into the game. So we're looking at like 14 weeks per character!!! That's over double the time expected. This WAS while CR was micro-managing, so it could be different now, but I just thought that I should raise an issue with your estimate that a whole MAP would take less than a month, when it takes more than that just to get a character into the game. 

Lol at your space comment. We're talking about a game where you visit other planets. So unless the flora and fauna, etc, etc, etc are the same on every planet then you're essentially building assets that could, effectively, satisfy multiple, entire, games. Tack on the space assets. Tack on the INSIDE space station assets. Tack on the INSIDE space ship assets. The art on this type of a project is non-trivial. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------