Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nier: Automata Review - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNier: Automata Review - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Neir: Automata has arrived and along with it our official review. Join us as we break down one of the strangest, most compelling action RPGs of the year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I cannot believe "THE RPG Files" has degraded to reviewing this trash.

• shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43

Uhhh that's a bit hostile. If you don't want to read this type of review don't read it.

Mmorpg.com has said on several occasions they're going to be reviewing more than just mmos.
    ren1701

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    You don't like it, we get it.  But there are others who do and were looking forward to this review.  Crazy I know.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Trash? It's definitely not trash at all. Other people really like this game. 
  • tonyvuknometonyvuknome Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I personally tested the demo and can instantly say this isn't a game worth $60. It's pretty much a linear button masher unless you play on the 1 hit you die mode but who really hates themselves that much? 1/100 gamers?

Maybe for a person who has no bills, lives with thier parents or has a well paying job it's worth $60 but tbh I wouldn't pay more than $25.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    First I thought Nioh would be my game of the year, then I thought the new Zelda would be my game of the year. But this is it, Nier is unlike anything I have played and that is including its prequal, I have never disagreed with a review on this website so much. The demo also sells it incredibly short making it come across as a linear, shallow spectacle fighter.

This game has more heart and soul then anything out there while not shying away from tragedy and philosophical questions about existence and being human. The game is incredibly meta in its gameplay and storytelling (it makes the metal gear solid games look like childsplay in comparison) and is also extremely 'Asian' in its presentation. There are many that do not like this, as is evident from some uninformed and blunt comments posted above, but for those that do, it really doesn't get better then this. It makes you think, it makes you feel, if you walk away unaffected by this game you have no soul.

10/10, my game of the year.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ren1701
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Played the demo and will buy it soon, always liked devil may cry type of games.  Also like how in different segments of the game you play basically different genre but blends in well with the rest of the game, for example in the start its like a top-down vertical arcade airplane shooter (only with mecha) and other moments its a side scroller hack and slash.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I am loving this game very much. IMO the demo does not give the right impression of the game. The demo, which is the prologue of the game, is fairly linear and to the point. After you get past that area, the world is huge and open world. The different gameplay perspectives transition naturally and smoothly. Thanks to all these transitions It is really a breath of fresh air among some open world games that feel too similar to each other.

I'm loving it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    censorship exists because people like you.

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268

lahnmir said:

First I thought Nioh would be my game of the year, then I thought the new Zelda would be my game of the year. But this is it, Nier is unlike anything I have played and that is including its prequal, I have never disagreed with a review on this website so much. The demo also sells it incredibly short making it come across as a linear, shallow spectacle fighter.

This game has more heart and soul then anything out there while not shying away from tragedy and philosophical questions about existence and being human. The game is incredibly meta in its gameplay and storytelling (it makes the metal gear solid games look like childsplay in comparison) and is also extremely 'Asian' in its presentation. There are many that do not like this, as is evident from some uninformed and blunt comments posted above, but for those that do, it really doesn't get better then this. It makes you think, it makes you feel, if you walk away unaffected by this game you have no soul.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

I've not played this yet but in the past I've played quite a few of Platinum Games' other titles and they really are masters at this style of combat + awesome music.
    From watching a few videos I would rate this game way above the awful tripe that is Mass Effect Andromeda. I know where my money will be going.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Unlike other console ports, the controls are pretty good on the PC. You can walk with WASD and aim with the mouse. Only issue is shooting while constantly holding shift.
    Cotic said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

I've not played this yet but in the past I've played quite a few of Platinum Games' other titles and they really are masters at this style of combat + awesome music.
    From watching a few videos I would rate this game way above the awful tripe that is Mass Effect Andromeda. I know where my money will be going.
    I don't know how to say this, but if that is your taste you'll be blown away. The music is stellar, above and beyond any Platinum game, fire up Youtube and give the soundtrack a good listen asap.

As for the rest of the game, the fighting is slightly less technical then that of say Bayonetta but still extremely satisfying. However, some of Platinums weak points, longetivity and story, are actually this games strongest points. The game needs to be replayed several times from different angles to truly 'get' the story, and the story itself and how it is presented are pure genius.

Do note, where Platinum games have a weird/silly tone this game is a lot more sad then silly, it really touches you.

I think you'll love it, even more then you are thinking right now, it is that good.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Tell me about it! We all know people should play the stuff you like and nothing else. But can't blame mmorpg.com mate, they haven't received the list of games they are allowed to review from you this month. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited March 2017
    Great game, fair review but I think the reviewer was somewhat lowballing on account of expecting and wanting a true RPG akin to a Bioware or Bethesda, or obsidian game. It is more of an action game, but there is enough RPG in the mix to recommend it on this site.

Story is fantastic, I just started the second playthrough and already I am intrigued by the new perspectives on the story; the second playthrough is still very much "more content" and I am told as is the third playthrough as well.

Combat can be button mashy on certain mobs, which sucks, but it's no worse than mob grinding in a game like Black Desert. Bosses are VERY much more than button mashing.

The OP does not include game difficulty, which is something to understand; Easy basically makes the game a pure action game, your pod is automated as well as your "dodge" ability to an extent. You will never be "Cheap-shotted". The game plays itself for the most part, which is great for a first playthrough to get used to the game.

Normal and + difficulties are much more intensive, as Levels of mobs are more heavily weighed on combat success than on easy. On easy you can defeat mobs 10-15 levels above you. Not so on Normal I'd say the range is about -/+ 5 levels. Nothing can be automated, dodging is manual and so is shooting at a distance. Much more fun, much more involved, slightly more frustrating at times, but that's to be expected.

PS: Also if you can't find the way to your quest target, guaranteed it is through some unnoticed small alleyway, ladder, sewer, or spinning amusement park ride.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    How's the optimization for the PC port?
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Shaigh said:

Not great from this review:

In fact, the game gets trashed if you plan on playing on PC with keyb and mouse. Controller support is good however.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Shaigh said:

Not great from this review:

In fact, the game gets trashed if you plan on playing on PC with keyb and mouse. Controller support is good however.
    I read some worrying stuff about nvidia 7xx series performing bad right now so I will wait for a sale when they fixed performance.They whole kb+m doesn't bother me anymore, console arpg and brawlers are almost always better played with a gamepad.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This game sounds typical of most game design i see now a days.
    7.5 is way too high,i would give it a 4/10.

Without the world,there really is no game,just a giant box for players to roam in and because of that i put a lot of emphasis on the world.
    I complained about this very idea even in my most favorite games,it is a singn of cheap lazy design.I am talking about 2D buildings,i do not accept that in my game worlds,might as well just paste a texture on the giant 4 sided box and pretend there is houses there.
    The sky battles look incredibly cheap,like some space invaders game or other 1980/90 arcade games.

I feel it could have been a good game but this was a lazy effort.It looks a bit like they tried to look like a Final Fantasy game.Some of the enemies look amateur artist work and the over sized weapon trying to look like CLOUD looks out of place.Sooo less clothes more weapon umm yeah ok.
    Problem is game was likely was made to be a console game and did not improve it for PC.

Problem with that one reviewer is he seems clueless about gaming lmao.He is angry because dodging is dbl click bound to movement keys...wtf?That is EXACTLY how dodging began and exactly how it should be done.I played for years in the Unreal community with some of the best fraggers in the world and not once in my entire life of the Unreal series have i ever heard anyone complain about the dbl click dodging.
    He also complains about combos...lmao.A game without special combo moves is BORING combat.Even Unreal had a combo and was likely everyone's favorite...the SHOCK rifle combo.Sounds to me like he just wants to play Dark Souls lol,a game i consider amateur hour for good creative combat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I review the game as a big Fat (ZERO) because of Denuvo, Limiting FPS, and making the game unplayable I wouldn't buy this game at all with the fact their "TOS" leaves unknown files on your system from Denuvo and no uninstall instructions or support from them.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

Jim Serling went even higher... he gave it a 9 and he ain't all that easy to please.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Renoaku said:

I review the game as a big Fat (ZERO) because of Denuvo, Limiting FPS, and making the game unplayable I wouldn't buy this game at all with the fact their "TOS" leaves unknown files on your system from Denuvo and no uninstall instructions or support from them.
    I think we all get it at this point... You don't like Denuvo... If a game has it you're not going to buy it.. NO need to say so over and over and over....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Wizardry said:

Without the world,there really is no game,just a giant box for players to roam in and because of that i put a lot of emphasis on the world.
    I complained about this very idea even in my most favorite games,it is a singn of cheap lazy design.I am talking about 2D buildings,i do not accept that in my game worlds,might as well just paste a texture on the giant 4 sided box and pretend there is houses there.
    The sky battles look incredibly cheap,like some space invaders game or other 1980/90 arcade games.

I feel it could have been a good game but this was a lazy effort.It looks a bit like they tried to look like a Final Fantasy game.Some of the enemies look amateur artist work and the over sized weapon trying to look like CLOUD looks out of place.Sooo less clothes more weapon umm yeah ok.
    Problem is game was likely was made to be a console game and did not improve it for PC.

Problem with that one reviewer is he seems clueless about gaming lmao.He is angry because dodging is dbl click bound to movement keys...wtf?That is EXACTLY how dodging began and exactly how it should be done.I played for years in the Unreal community with some of the best fraggers in the world and not once in my entire life of the Unreal series have i ever heard anyone complain about the dbl click dodging.
    He also complains about combos...lmao.A game without special combo moves is BORING combat.Even Unreal had a combo and was likely everyone's favorite...the SHOCK rifle combo.Sounds to me like he just wants to play Dark Souls lol,a game i consider amateur hour for good creative combat.
    Sigh.... You and every single thread, verbal vomitting while you don't have a clue about the actual game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir  

• derNeniderNeni Member UncommonPosts: 14

not my type of game...

japanese and their faible for short skirts ;-)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

Jim Serling went even higher... he gave it a 9 and he ain't all that easy to please.
    I was just going to mention him. He loved it and thought it to be "an important game". That's interesting. I don't think "Zero Punctuation's" Yahtzee thought it that high but he did seem to like "the whole of it" over individual parts.

I guess it goes to show how different people have different perceptions of things. Like the poster above who thinks it's trash yet other people think it's amazing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Perfect mix of Art and AAA gaming, I agree with Jim Sterling the game is a transcendental masterpiece even though it does have some game flaws (open world is used really loosely for example)

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth