Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Behavior as a Predictor for IRL End of Times - MMORPG.com News

13»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:
    Every event would have the same result, that result would = anarchy.
    Eh. Anarchy means "without rulers". Anarchism is essentially living autonomously. I'd argue neither of those are bad things, whether or not they seem possible to implement in the U.S. in 2017. It's far past time that the anarchy = chaos concept was debunked in mainstream discourse.  
    It also means "a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority"

But yes, I get your point. Whats a better word for a society behaving worse than animals?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    Eh. Anarchy means "without rulers". Anarchism is essentially living autonomously. I'd argue neither of those are bad things, whether or not they seem possible to implement in the U.S. in 2017. It's far past time that the anarchy = chaos concept was debunked in mainstream discourse.  
    It also means "a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority"

But yes, I get your point. Whats a better word for a society behaving worse than animals?
    Republicans? ;) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Republicans? ;) 

Normally, yes.

However it seems to be liberals these days.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Republicans? ;) 

Normally, yes.

However it seems to be liberals these days.
    Ooh, the ultimate demons. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2017
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    3rd World poverty isn't anarchy or post-apocalypse though.
    It isn't about poverty, it's about knowing how to survive with very little.

If the lights went out and never came back on. Things wouldn't be much different for the 3rd world. Where as 9/10 of us would probably be dead within a month.
    Absolutely correct, but the topic was end of days which is way more serious than surviving with very little. It has more to do with how mankind perceives social/political/moral structures in the face of short term demise. That's not just another day IMO.
    All taken from our 1st world western perspective. One's demise is another's rise.
    I believe FlybyKnight was referring to an extinction level event.  In that instance, barring colonization of space or another planet, it doesn't matter if you're 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or last world...  It ends.

However, we consider apocalypse to mean the creation of a dystopia..  I definitely see the point, and it would be interesting to think about how different groups would fare within different resulting dystopias (i.e. electricity loss versus simple collapse in the majority of world governments, etc.).
    We think in our perspective. Our western world is very, very fragile. All you need do is look at things like Black Friday sales, Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo to get an answer as to how our society would react.

True; however, the specifics of the event would do a lot to determine the overall quality of life for any given area in the post-apoc.

And remember that, though there certainly are many who live off the land in 3rd world countries, there are also many who depend upon 1st world countries for things like clean water, medicine, etc.  If international travel/aid is cut off, those areas would suffer extremely from the lack of these basic necessities.  The only thing worse off than Joe Schmoe in post-apoc is a malnourished Joe Schmoe.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    LOL Arche Age could have been a great game, but Trion ruined it by removing the "Race VS Race" Allowing your own faction to PK One another / guilds and leadership to take control it completely killed the game rather than keeping it as intended from the start.

Personally ID say video games teach me a lot especially how to deal with someone who ****s with me in Real Life if the world were ending, and there was no Law Enforcement how I would deal with someone who crosses paths in a hostile way, lets just say to be civil here I would handle it like in Call OF Duty, Action first ask questions here, that is the behavior that should be noted if you want to research how a person would act IRL other than a video game lol...

Games are just games, just because it says that 99% of the people would be "Farmers" and Peaceful IRL rather than PKing others doesn't mean this is the way it would happen IRL...

If this even took place IRL like end of the world, or Zombie Apocalypse "Factions" would be formed, Violence, and Anarchy would happen first, basically gangs of people with their own code and Laws / Rules, isn't exactly a bad thing but fighting would be real as in people crossing paths in a hostile way would be put down like in the TV Series "Revolution" or " Rampage".
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

mgilbrtsn said:

Lol, remember what happened when the CDC added the plague to WoW?  There were 3 types of ppl if I remember.  those who avoided spreading it; those who ran towards other ppl; and those who kept doing their thing.  I wonder which was the largest group.  Fun times.

There was a fourth group, the ones that got fed up with the griefers and being unable to interact with the npcs and so decided to play some other game until the bullshit was over.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    Haha fair enough, but I believe that is a newer definition! The word anarchy is actually a greek word and the literal translation is "without rulers." The definition became bastardized after the mid 19th century when anarchism became a popular philosophy and political stance and the ruling class and their fans became threatened by it. 

Anyways, I suppose you could just say it would be chaos. I'm just nitpicking for fun though because I have an interest in anarchist history!

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.