Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers of mmorpg.com, what is the one MMO you use as a reference when you are judging a new game?

ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
edited March 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Mine would be EVE Online for many reasons but mostly for the roles you can have in this game. And by roles I don't mean tank, dps, support, etc. 

During my tenure I have taken on many roles. A cannon fodder, a miner, a merc, a spy, an accountant, a leader, a jerk :| and so on. 

That is what made me feel like I was part of a virtual world. And this is what I expect from an MMO, otherwise I'd rather just play a singleplayer game.
Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu. The main reason is the freedom it gave. Everything was player made from the alliances to the gear. No forced questing. You went out into the world and made a name for yourself.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Mine is a combination of Everquest, FFXI and City of Heroes.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If it's an MMO that promises a "virtual world" then EVE and SWG (pre-NGE) are my references.

But sadly, it's a reference I don't get to use very often, seeing as most games promising a "virtual world" are still either in alpha or exist as design documents...

For standard themepark MMO's, LOTRO and (lately) ESO would be my reference.
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Wushu seemed really cool, but when I fought mobs they never dropped anything.  I was always confused by that.  I spent some time trying to figure out what it was I was supposed to do to progress but it seemed more like a chat room where people that knew the system ganked people who didn't.  I only stuck around for a few days.  I was sad.

As for my game I use to judge all games I'd have to say Helbreath, I played it for years. It's Diablo 2 graphics and loot system combined with the open world of a mmo made it really interesting.  Randomly generated loot stats always amazed me and being able to equip a very low level piece of scrub gear to utilize it's unimaginable stats was awesome.  We'd be running around in a combination of armor pieces from all throughout the leveling system to achieve combinations of stats for different purposes.  

Also, mobs were hard, pvp was encouraged, and pvp events were on a routine.  Economy didn't use money it used items, because items with stats were so valuable they couldn't establish a gold value of any kind.  There was money, just was used for more common goods like stones and upgrading gear.  I don't recommend anyone check it out, it's long been dead and adulterated by everybody's ideas for improving it.  Just miss it the most.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Star Wars Galaxies, because of its many elaborate features. Some played it just for being a trader, some just for the pvp, some just for managing a city, others just for spacecombat.

For me this was the most complete MMORPG that I have played so far. On a shitty engine that made combat the worst, but that only shows how much I loved the other aspects of it. So I still hope for a new SWG like MMORPG on a better game engine.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Definitely City of Heroes.  This is my litmus test for any game to be considered 'great' by me.

I lower my standards to EQ2 for most fantasy games, since you never get to Superjump or Fly in most fantasy games.  Great questing, good combat, amazing crafting, Solo and group friendly, and a wide, wide range of classes.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    none actually i think 90% of mmorpgs are trash from having played them over the years certain game design decisions i like some i dont. i base my opinion off of that. i feel almost every mmo has a couple great ideas and the rest is just bad or works against those good ideas to the point the game never will see it's full potential
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Star Wars Galaxies and UO - Both allowed you to create unique characters that looked and played differently from all the others.  SWG actually allowed there to be a difference between crafters of the same skill and older crafters could make slightly better weapons than newer crafters. 

They were very different games that allowed personal choice and customization.  Very different from the "you can tell a persons class and skills by his armor" stuff we have today and every crafter can make the exact same things as every other crafter. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Lineage 2 because of the extreme investment people had in characters and the amazing seiges and clan systems the game had. Also probably some Wakfu because of the entirely player driven economy.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    AC, DAOC, and FFXI.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2017
    Two really, DAOC when it comes to more structured gameplay and for fantasy as they haven't made one like EVE yet which is the ultimate standard of comparison I use for freeform game play in a virtual world.

I realize some will disagree and point to other games as better examples, but unfortunately I never got to play many of the classics in their heyday so I have no alternate frame of reference.

I might have enjoyed AC1, UO, or SWG more than EVE, but I'll never know since no Dev has seen fit to carry on their legacy. (yet)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NPCPakNPCPak Member UncommonPosts: 36
    edited March 2017
    I guess I'd judge it from all the MMORPGs I've played when it comes to finding a new virtual world to play in... But the thing is every developer is different and has their own idea of a game. It's just like judging a game between your experience with a Sci-Fi MMO, for a Middle-Earth Fantasy. I tend to give every new MMORPG a clean slate so I can experience some thing that could be wonderful, without complaining about every thing this game wouldn't have that others do. 

Every MMORPG is unique to me, and I feel they should be seen on how they perform, and not to judge them on their peers.
    (NPCPak) Nobukon
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Everquest for PvE and DAoC for PvP. Nothing has come close. Im backing Pantheon, hope I am not going to be upset in a year from now lol
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    edited March 2017
    It depends on the type of game. For sandbox, they get held to the gold standard of UO and SWG. PvP based games are invariably compared to DAoC, and theme parks to WoW. Survival games, I've only really played one, they're not my thing really.
    At the moment I'm pretty disgusted at the lack of customization in games. I don't mean looks, I mean skills and playstyle. I've semi gone back to Archeage for their skill system, just so I can have a little freedom.

• RenditRendit Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Dark Age of Camelot
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Original Everquest, by that I mean a game that isnt just a solo grind fest.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    None. I never compare games, i play each one for what they are. when i try them i allways go with a open mind and then decide if the game is for me or not, only based on what they are and never comparing to others.

Judging a game using other as a reference is wrong imho, we should judge only for what they are.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    EverQuest
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited March 2017
    None,

I use to do that and that is was kept me from enjoying alot of good games. 
  • M1tankerr460M1tankerr460 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Honestly i don't judge MMOs against others, because they arent the same game so why would they even be remotely similar, besides the fact they are both MMOs....
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    None.

That would be like picking one banana and comparing all my future food in reference to that single banana. Too narrow minded.

• DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I can't just pick one. I use different games to measure up different aspects of gameplay because I haven't found that "perfect game" yet. There are definitely games that are used for multiple aspects of a game, but no single one can manage.

General gameplay experience (Questing, Loot, plethora of things to do) - World of Warcraft
    Raid Mechanics - World of Warcraft
    Story and Lore - Everquest franchise, Final Fantasy XIV, and SW:toR
    Skill System - Saga of Ryzom
    Harvest and Crafting System - Saga of Ryzom and Final Fantasy XIV
    Class (or Multiclass) system - Saga of Ryzom and Final Fantasy XIV
    In-game Housing - Everquest 2
  • G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited March 2017
    These are 3 categories I typically look at and the games I liked the best. I wouldn't really say I compare these against other games though as I hope all games have their own unique features that would make me like them. 

Overall Game Play (Dungeons / Raiding / Gearing / etc...)
     - Everquest
    Player vs Player - Warhammer Online
    Combat - Black Desert Online
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    FFXI because it is one of the oldest and had to be designed for an ancient PS2.So if a game cannot deliver that ++ it has to be a very shallow effort by the developer.
    I only use Wow to mention comparisons between games because Wow has been considered the standard clone game that most games are clonedfrom,albeit in reality EQ2 is THAT game but nobody seems to acknowledge it because the rose colored glasses must be tainted thicker now a days lol.

However i use a lot of criteria when judging a game,i mean like hundreds of reasons and my eyes start seeing design ideas as soon as i login.I can tell most every game in the first 5 minutes if the dev just slapped together a crappy clone or if some real effort went into it.
    However most of the time it is very obvious to anyone that knows anything about game design that most games have no business trying to compete as triple A games and are nothing more than low budget offerings.

If there are 2500 games in a list,then maybe 10-15 are worth going past the registration.Yes that is how diluted the market is.So many developers feel they can find some way to get rich selling a terribly inferior product.This was made even more evident when a game like Farmville made several businesses millions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.