Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BoredGamer's Visit To Foundry42 (UK)

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited March 2017 in Star Citizen

SHIPS (0:40)

- Idris is finished, they're going over to the Javelin now

- Lots on work on Vanduul ships like the driller (2km long) or many other ships from them ("cool - surprising, big and small")

- Banu Merchantman is being worked on (whiteboxing)

- In general he saw many ships in concept/white/greybox phase we didn't see about but we're gonna see them (pretty soon)

- Working on "paintjobs" which let you customize your ship (for example orgs can have a unified paint skin)

ENVIRONMENTS (3:08)

- He saw new concepts of the 3 moons we're about to see in 3.0

- Moons looked better then in the 3.0 demo even when they were 100% done procedural

- Procedural space stations or outposts are a thing too

- Using special shaders they can make the outposts look like "they belong on the planet" which means that an outpost on a snow planet won't look like one on a lava planet for example

- Room system with atmosphere, pressure, oxygen, etc. is being worked on and will be able to manage the atmosphere in each room. so for example when a door is opened it will "suck" out the air from the room which will suck out the oxygen in the next room etc etc

- Procedural outposts will feature things like landing plats, mining, etc. and also things like bars for example.

- Satellites

- Work on the asteroid tech is ongoing and is looking awesome

SPACE TRAVEL (7:03)

- Is going to be "visually pleasing"

EFFECTS (7:39)

- Cool new weapons (FPS and ship weapons)

- New particles and effects for different materials

CODING (8:10)

- Servers are 30 tick

- They are focusing in getting more players on one server instead of raising the tick rate

SOUND (8:38)

- Organic sounds are being worked on, that means that sounds are going to lay over each other and still sound naturally. For example you will never hear nothing. even in the current built you're able to hear about 9 sounds inside of a Starfarer no matter where you are, you just have to be quiet

- The sounds they had implemented were very impressive even though he is no "sound guy"

- They are also working on the repair system. ai will be able to do this as well (players first, ai later)

- In game tutorials for different roles will be a thing

EPISODE 1 / SQ42 (10:55)

- Mission can, apparently be completed in stealth

- They' ll give players options to complete missions in multiple ways

Comments

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

What's the name of that convertible?
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

What's the name of that convertible?
    The buggy
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Been lurking here for a while and finally got around to making an account.

Really surprised there are so few comments about this great info that has come out of F42.
    It seems the drama threads are more popular than the informative threads. O.o

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Cotic said:
    Been lurking here for a while and finally got around to making an account.

Really surprised there are so few comments about this great info that has come out of F42.
    It seems the drama threads are more popular than the informative threads. O.o

All too true. 

I hope that CIG will soon show one of the first SQ42 missions as an example for SQ42. That the v-blogger saw such a mission at Foundry42 is promising. 

Have fun
    I believe it when CIG releases it. until then I consider it all part of the hype machine and a way to try and get more money out of backers 

For  our conspiracy friends ...

here is what the Youtube poster "BannerWolf" had to say about this video  ;-)  :

"....DON'T YOU KNOW SANTA IS NOT REAL! I know its hard to hear but I have reason to believe Bored Gamer is not real also.

Fact 1: His face is too perfect. If you stair at his face for a minimum of 8 hours you start to notice that his face is perfectly symmetrical. [Warning may cause mental instability]

Fact 2: Have you noticed that his fashion sense is too cool. Just like movie stars and SANTA, Bored's fashion sense is to up-to-date almost as if he is a robot.

Fact 3: Out of all of the videos and live streams I have watched, I have NEVER heard him fart. Very suspicious, almost too suspicious, like as if he is all gears and oil inside.

I DEMAND Board Gamer Show us his insides. WE WANT PROOF OF LIFE! If you disagree with all the facts I have given you then you clearly have not met my MOTHER, but I would like to encourage more dialog to expose the cybernetic gift bringer imposter of SANTA to justice!"

So you see ... the awful truth ... exposed ....

Have fun

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kefo said:
    I believe it when CIG releases it. until then I consider it all part of the hype machine and a way to try and get more money out of backers 
    Which I think is the right approach for anyone who is remotely unsure of whether this will be a game they want to play. 

If they are more interested then check out one of the free-fly opportunities that come along and so on.

Calling it "hype" is over-stating it imo. Clearly stuff like this doesn't do them any harm but if - Bored Gamer in this case - comes along and says we want to do a progress report and they say no it will be .... what have they got to hide, are they that short of staff that they can't take the time to showcase their product, they suck at marketing for not grasping such opportunities and so on. If they have just done something with someone else they would have solid grounds to suggest a later dare; beyond that though their options are limited.

At the end of the day though considering all reports of future stuff "hype" is a safe policy. Stick to the basic mantra: "if its in the alpha its done, if it isn't its not" and that way new stuff can come as a surprise and not a disappointment - because somebody reported said feature would release a week earlier. 
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Erillion said:

For  our conspiracy friends ...[...]

Who are these people? I've noticed you often make it sound like there's some sort of organization trying to undermine CIG at all costs. Do you have anything to back up these claims?
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Erillion said:

Who are these people? I've noticed you often make it sound like there's some sort of organization trying to undermine CIG at all costs. Do you have anything to back up these claims?
    Don't worry, you'll soon come to know them. Their eyes watch every thread.
    Erillion said:

There are certainly a few people that seem to want to incite arguments on this board but I always get the feeling it is applied to anybody that does not toe the official line. If you do not take CIG at face value, gush over everything in all of their videos and upvote every positive post then you are falling towards the 'conspiracy friends'. Last year they were all called Derek Smart alts or minions iirc

In many ways it is baiting people, it is keeping that 'us vs them' thing going when there is no need for it.

I posted earlier about how drama threads have more comments and now someone tries to turn this into a drama thread by baiting the so-called 'conspiracy' guys. I expected to see more discussion from fans of the game about the content in the video but they don't seem interested.
    The written monthly studio reports are being scrapped which is a real shame, they used to provide a good insight into the what everybody was up to and also made it easy to look things up. Replaced with the ATV reports :(

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/374691/monthly-reports-are-gone

I enjoyed those detailed WRITTEN reports. 

Joined petition to bring them back.

Have fun
    Cotic said:
    The written monthly studio reports are being scrapped which is a real shame, they used to provide a good insight into the what everybody was up to and also made it easy to look things up. Replaced with the ATV reports :(

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/374691/monthly-reports-are-gone

First the monthly reports then they will probably scale back the info in AtV and then radio silence again. The most open and transparent company ever!! Just became a bit more opaque 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kefo said:
    Cotic said:

First the monthly reports then they will probably scale back the info in AtV and then radio silence again. The most open and transparent company ever!! Just became a bit more opaque 

Are you sure you're ok with them spending money writing reports instead of developing the game ;P

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

That actually brings up an interesting point.
    Until now the reports have been paid for as part of standard operating costs from the funding pot but now they are being paid for by the community subscriptions.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited March 2017
    Cotic said:
    Until now the reports have been paid for as part of standard operating costs from the funding pot but now they are being paid for by the community subscriptions.
    The effort it takes from the studios, teams and the producers to report all the progress individually (per studio basis) is the same, either it is video or text format.

The ATV formats changed to something that is now a pretty much a monthly report, per studio on a weekly basis, due the rotation the info we get and what we see is what that studio was working on for the past month.

I do prefer that on the text format, however.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Cotic said:
    My personal feeling is that they are putting out more videos because of the profits they get from YouTube.  They are getting decent numbers.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

SHIPS (0:40)

- Idris is finished, they're going over to the Javelin now

- Lots on work on Vanduul ships like the driller (2km long) or many other ships from them ("cool - surprising, big and small")

- Banu Merchantman is being worked on (whiteboxing)

- In general he saw many ships in concept/white/greybox phase we didn't see about but we're gonna see them (pretty soon)

- Working on "paintjobs" which let you customize your ship (for example orgs can have a unified paint skin)

ENVIRONMENTS (3:08)

- He saw new concepts of the 3 moons we're about to see in 3.0

- Moons looked better then in the 3.0 demo even when they were 100% done procedural

- Procedural space stations or outposts are a thing too

- Using special shaders they can make the outposts look like "they belong on the planet" which means that an outpost on a snow planet won't look like one on a lava planet for example

- Room system with atmosphere, pressure, oxygen, etc. is being worked on and will be able to manage the atmosphere in each room. so for example when a door is opened it will "suck" out the air from the room which will suck out the oxygen in the next room etc etc

- Procedural outposts will feature things like landing plats, mining, etc. and also things like bars for example.

- Satellites

- Work on the asteroid tech is ongoing and is looking awesome

SPACE TRAVEL (7:03)

- Is going to be "visually pleasing"

EFFECTS (7:39)

- Cool new weapons (FPS and ship weapons)

- New particles and effects for different materials

CODING (8:10)

- Servers are 30 tick

- They are focusing in getting more players on one server instead of raising the tick rate

SOUND (8:38)

- Organic sounds are being worked on, that means that sounds are going to lay over each other and still sound naturally. For example you will never hear nothing. even in the current built you're able to hear about 9 sounds inside of a Starfarer no matter where you are, you just have to be quiet

- The sounds they had implemented were very impressive even though he is no "sound guy"

- They are also working on the repair system. ai will be able to do this as well (players first, ai later)

- In game tutorials for different roles will be a thing

EPISODE 1 / SQ42 (10:55)

- Mission can, apparently be completed in stealth

- They' ll give players options to complete missions in multiple ways

Well done.  Thanks!

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited March 2017
    My personal feeling is that they are putting out more videos because of the profits they get from YouTube.  They are getting decent numbers.  
    What profits are you referring? They don't have ads within their content.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Cotic said:
    In that case, it's a sensible move to generate continued revenue, without relying on backers for more cash in one form or another.
    MaxBacon said:
    What profits? They don't have ads within their YT content.
    My understanding is that Google places the ads before, and after.  They are eligible for a percentage based on numbers of followers and viewers.  Most Youtubers place ads within or during their videos because of deals made with additional companies.

edited March 2017
    My understanding is that Google places the ads before, and after.  They are eligible for a percentage based on numbers of followers and viewers.  Most Youtubers place ads within or during their videos because of deals made with additional companies.
    How it works unless I'm mistaken, is that you as one youtuber can enable revenue generation within your channel, if you disable it, your videos show no ads.

Did a quick look at that, I think they disabled ads on their channel.
    edited March 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    You have to allow monetization to youtube place ads, and it only unlocks after 5k views (YT sends you an "invitation" letter).

The youtube content is paid by subscribers, it is not monetized as far as I know. 
    Just found it, on YT even if you haven't monetized your videos (adsense) you can disable ads from showing on your videos on the creator studio: "Allow advertisements to be displayed alongside my videos"

That's enabled by default, so they don't seem to have any ads on their channel.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    MaxBacon said:
    How it works unless I'm mistaken, is that you as one youtuber can enable revenue generation within your channel, if you disable it, your videos show no ads.

Did a quick look at that, I think they disabled ads on their channel.

You're right. You're only eligible to make money after a certain point, though. Like we had put a video up there of one of our kids getting their ear pierced, just for family, and we were asked only after a couple thousand views, if we wanted to enable ads. 

I would hope that the Youtuber would get a cut of other ads on the page too, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

So my questions would be, don't they have to give permission to their streamers to monetize off of CIGs materials, and why wouldn't CIG want the extra money?