Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 For The Chairman - Professions For Alpha 3.0

CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
In the latest 10 For The Chairman they discuss the upcoming professions

1. Will items / cargo be in visable storehouse or will they be invisable "imaginary inventory" esque?

Visable cargo will be in stores so you can see before you buy, and their inventory will be visable from the storefront, basically, but for just storing stuff, then seeing it in a storehouse? No.

2. Actually physically loading cargo into big ships? -

We don't want a click button, get inventory. We want it to take time. But we don't know how that's gonna work yet, but the big picture is it will be automatically done by machinery - note on this, they also said that specialized ships (such as the argo) can offload cargo, if some players want to be a dock work

3. Salvage professions?

Scavaging - getting parts from ships (engines, gravgens, etc) and Scrapping - destroying ships for metal. Can also pull guns off broken off wings, if the guns not too damaged, as example. Different parts of ships will have different profits, which means if you need to get in and out it'll be beneficial to know what's more cost efficient

4. Hazards when Mining and Cargo running, besides pirates?

meteoroid showers, debris fields, micro black holes, all this can provide information, that can be sold. Leading to more work for other players / more interaction. Also your ship will degrade over time. So maintain your ships.

5. How will destructible props be repaired over time? I.E. Olisar's window gets shot out, how does that 'reset'? -

Important items will stick around and be persistant i.e. ships on a planet if you leave. Some stations won't be destuctible to prevent griefing. Missions are generated for A.I. and players when something gets destroyed to repair it. Otherwise, A.I. will repair damage such as windows getting shot out, or cleaning up trash

6. More loading / unloading cargo questions .

there will be physical, as well as automatic loading / unloading of cargo. There will be in-gameplay reasons to unload cargo by hand, but it will be small hauling jobs, they used smuggling a lot as an example, getting out of your ship and smuggling small items adds a new stealth feeling...., but as far as like Hull hauling, all major ports will have automatic unloaders.

7. Will we be able to move between professions fluidly, or will there be like a rep system?

No gatekeeping, you'll be able to switch fluidly, no RPG rules... No levels, but there will be reputation, so for example, no one will give you expensive shit to haul, until you haul enough stuff to prove your worth

8. Ship based mining in 3.0?

Yes. Fundamental mining in 3.0, including the prospector

9. Do you need rep to do a job, or just the right ship?

the more expensive / lucrative jobs require rep... But otherwise you just need the right ship

10. Will there be an autopilot that allows me to get up and move around?

Yes... you'll need to for maintanence on long trips

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Han Solo style smuggler in Star Citizen - i like the sound of that. 

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Hmmm, plan to annoy security AI on a space-station shooting windows and breaking stuff as they run after me repairing it. xD

It's always one shiny detail, to not forcefully prevent players from shooting stuff on the areas they shouldn't, but it forces that tricky balance of what should be apart of gameplay and what is griefing.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    This game is going overboard with detail.  Just give me a ship to fly.  There is no need to make me put my hand on every rung of a ladder then flip all 100 switches in the cockpit.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    @MaxBacon, m80's in the space toilets, and green dye for the space showers, as a guru of mayhem, I like it, hehehe.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    There is no need to make me put my hand on every rung of a ladder then flip all 100 switches in the cockpit.
    idk...

After I played Hellion, I kinda want a ship on SC to have 100 switches, buttons, and interfaces to interact with. That might be just fundamental for having a decent depth to multi-crew, and the performing of maintenance and repairing tasks.

I imagine that on a ship like the Starfarer, up to even one Idris and makes perfect sense, go to the life support panels, open up a panel, replace/repair its components, manage it via its interface terminal, tons of buttons!

Smaller ships should be kept more simple and linear (also helps the learning curve), but as ships get bigger it makes sense to me that they just become more complex.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    There is no need to make me put my hand on every rung of a ladder then flip all 100 switches in the cockpit.
    idk...

After I played Hellion, I kinda want a ship on SC to have 100 switches, buttons, and interfaces to interact with. That might be just fundamental for having a decent depth to multi-crew, and the performing of maintenance and repairing tasks.

I imagine that on a ship like the Starfarer, up to even one Idris and makes perfect sense, go to the life support panels, open up a panel, replace/repair its components, manage it via its interface terminal, tons of buttons!

Smaller ships should be kept more simple and linear (also helps the learning curve), but as ships get bigger it makes sense to me that they just become more complex.
    Well so long as they concentrate on all these minor details there will always be an excuse for further delays.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    filmoret said:
    This game is going overboard with detail.  Just give me a ship to fly.  There is no need to make me put my hand on every rung of a ladder then flip all 100 switches in the cockpit.

You've always got the Elite:Dangerous option then...
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I think the delays will lead to something good. I am trying to stay patient.
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I think the delays will lead to something good. I am trying to stay patient.

Hopefully 3.0 is not too far away!
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited March 2017
    Not sure I would call that immersion. You can have a game like Elite where you don't have to hit every button and still be very immersed with being in a cockpit and flying a spaceship.
    The sounds, the effects and the feedback make it far more immersive than having to go through the actions.
    My concern is that a lot of these things will just feel tedious or unnecessarily complex by the fifth go.

Although I could be completely wrong and they do a stellar job of making all of these things fun, exciting and they really add to the experience.

Full transcript is up https://relay.sc/transcript/10-for-the-chairman-professions-in-alpha-3-0

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Thank you for the transcript link. 

Have fun