Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Civilization VI

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks,

In my gaming history, I somehow managed to skip the entire Civilization series.  I'm considering getting Civ VI on Steam.  My main questions are, how fast-paced is the game, and how quickly do you have to zoom around the map to build, mine, control troops, etc.?  I have always been awful at those strategy games where you have to keep track of the progress of 100 buildings and countless troops while being attacked on five fronts.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I also skipped it over more so liking the AOE series.
    I do remember looking into it way back when but didn't think it was good enough.I keep hearing a lot about the series,i too was thinking the last week that i might take a peek.
    Just too many games in the market,thousands and thousands,hence why i am a LOT more finicky now as i do not have time to play everything,nobody does.

I still play AOE games on a monthly basis for a day or two,so yeah i might check this out on Steam.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Fuuny...odd or maybe not but in just the last 3 USER threads i have seen more quality games talked about than what this site is advertising over 6 months.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The game is turned-based. You can spend as much time as you need on every turn. Unless it's multiplayer then host can chose to limit it.

You won't be needing to manage 100s of buildings. You'll end up with 7-8 cities at most. There's a lot of micromanaging the cities which you have to learn in time and leave it to the AI at the beginning. 

New feature added to C6 is to stack units to together, hence you'll end up with a lot less units.

I'm willing to help you get started and we can play co-op as well, it's fun :)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I have never played Multiplayer Civ, so I don't know how fast-paced it can be, but at least in single player you have all the time in the world to give your commands/manage resources and it's turn based so your Actions per Minute don't really matter. Still, it can be overwhelming at first, there is a lot of things to take care of: resources, 'build' paths, alliances, troops, positioning, etc.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys!

Does the game have a decently involved tutorial?
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I played both Civ5 and Civ6 a fair bit.

It is a turn-based strategy game, focusing on allocating resources (science/production/army) to achieve victory. As such, it is a very slow paced game, giving you as much time as you need. The game features a tile system - similar to a board game, your units and buildings take on properties of the tile they are standing on. The combat is then mostly about positioning (placing units on hills, building a fort on a tile next to a river, etc.)

Each turn, you carry out all your actions. You then pass, letting your opponents carry out theirs. Next to other civilisations (players/AI), there is an NPC barbarian faction that also plays at the end of everyone's turn. In your turn phase, you get to assign production (choosing what to build in a city), assign science (researching technologies) and move your units. This is fairly quick early on, as you have only a few units. In endgame, a turn can take a lot of managing.

Civ 6 adds a lot of newbie friendly features. I'd definitely recommend it over the predecesor. It extends the tile system into towns as well, meaning you get to choose which buildings get to be placed on which tiles in your towns. The buildings were somewhat "global" previously.

The nice thing is that there are multiple victory conditions. Most other games usually nudge you to wipe everyone out through war. This is still possible here, but not necessary. You may also win through science (focusing on research), religion (spreading religion to other towns) or tourism (focusing on culture upgrades). This leads to big decisions in the mid game - "Do I build a big army and let others get a science advantage?" "Do I skip religion completely, instead focusing on tourism?" "Do I form an alliance with a neighbour and hope that having no army won't be an issue?"

The game as a whole can take a long time - usually around 4-8 hours. It's around 300 turns. I recommend playing on a faster speed, which essentially reduces the number of turns it takes to do stuff (e.g. building a granary may take 6 turns instead of 9).

Civ 6 also has advisors. This is basically a pointer that suggests what to build. If you struggle with micro managing a lot of buildings at once, you may fall back on what the AI advisor is suggesting.

Overall definitely worth a try if you like board games. If you are looking for complex battles with detailed control, this is not that at all.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Ever played a Total War game? It's essentially like the campaign map in those games but more involved. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    OK, thanks guys!

You can have the advisor enabled at all time. 

This is an easy game to learn but very hard to master.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    OK, thanks guys!

Surprisingly, it does! It's a fun game. You should definitely check it out. There's also an advisor that will help you as you play, especially if you set it as new to Civ.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    OK, thanks guys!

It has a really nice learning curve.

The game does a lot automatically, unless you want to manage the fine grained stuff. For example, the cities will automatically assign which resources to produce. Unless you touch the relevant panel, it will follow whatever it deems best.

Whenever you need to make a decision, it will give you a notification on the side. At the beginning of each turn, you will get all the notifications that require your attention. If a city needs orders, it will ask you. If you forgot to move a unit, it will let you know. Overall, it's quite approachable on a trial/error basis.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited March 2017
    The OP would be better off buying Civ5 Complete (it can be had under $10 on sale) and playing that for a while. Civ6 is still selling at $60 and it still has a good number of bugs and the AI is still terrible. Wait to buy Civ 6 for a few months at least, it really was released too early with not enough testing.
    Post edited by Burntvet on
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    I did not like any of the Civ games after Civ 3.  Lot of folks like them though.

My own opinion....get Civ 3 complete it is like 5 bucks,on steam, and they have the refund policy if it will not run. See if it will run for you, and if so play that for a while get some idea of what the series will be like.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I agree with @Burntvet, the game still has many problems and needs a few months before i can recommend it to anyone. It feels like we're still in beta and early access.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Based on what you wrote OP, CIV is not for you.

MP Civ if played on a serious level and not rage quitting after an hour, would probably take days. 
    There is a lot of strategy involved. End game requires a lot of moving units etc. 

I like Civ and Civ 6 is definitely a good game. I'd say Civ 6 over Civ 5, even though the AI is a bit off. Civ is a game to be played with friends and not alone. If you can't get like 4 people together for a game, don't get it. It's as simple as that.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I usually wait like a year after a Civ game releases for a complete/goty version just because it always so damn buggy out of the gates. I often play the huge maps on marathon play, definitely don't do that as a beginner hehe.

Civ4 is my favorite, 5 was ok, just didn't like how the units didn't stack. I found it more annoying than strategic. I'll probably get 6 once i see it for $20 (or once my backlog dwindles a bit more).

As far as gameplay, you get to take your time and depending on settings, a game can last hours or like the ones I play, weeks or months.

I know some people say start with the older ones, but sometimes it is just hard to get into an older version.

I recently was going back to some of the older Heroes of Might and Magic games, specifically 3 and 4, and it is a bit tough getting into. Not just the graphics, but lack of hotkeys that I'm use to. Out of that series, 5 is my favorite, didn't like 6 at all, got 7 on the cheap, but haven't played too much of it (seems better than 6 so far). I do remember liking 3 and 4 though, just don't think i finished all the expansions.
  • bolivarssacrificebolivarssacrifice Member CommonPosts: 2
    I haven't played Civ VI yet, but I've played the rest of the series and am about to purchase VI. They're great, polished games, and very immersive. Just make sure to leave yourself enough time when you start a game. Sure, you can save, but I mostly find myself starting a new game each time I play rather than loading an old game, because there are so many things going on you need to remember that it's sometimes easier to just start over.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The AI in Civ VI is much better than in Civ V.