Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying Steam version will let me play my collector's edition?

BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
If I buy the One Tamriel $29.99 on Steam can I play my collector's edition that I originally purchased before launch?

Comments

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    edited March 2017
    I don't understand why would you need to repurchase?  Your collector's edition account should still have those features, it is access to the imperial race and a horse right?  Your original account should have those features unlocked from the transition to b2p.  It shouldn't matter whether the account has been active since the transition.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    mystik13 said:
    I don't understand why would you need to repurchase?  Your collector's edition account should still have those features, it is access to the imperial race and a horse right?  Your original account should have those features unlocked from the transition to b2p.  It shouldn't matter whether the account has been active since the transition.

I want to play my collector version through Steam because the stand alone client refuses to work after I uninstalled it once for freezing my computer but now it just stalls when I try to install it. I thought that maybe if I geet the Steam version it might actually work but don't want to lose the CE stuff.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    edited March 2017
    tried checking online found a page with others stating steam is a new client an cannot be swapped

https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/208684375427088110/

but here a quote from website itself

Can I link my existing Elder Scrolls Online account to my Steam account?

Updated 01/12/2017 07:37 AM          Published 10/31/2016 02:06 PM

Yes. If you had previously purchased The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam and want to link your Steam account to your ESO account, you can do so by launching the game from Steam. However, if your version of the game was not purchased through Steam, you will not be able to link your Steam account to your existing ESO account without purchasing a new copy of the game on the Steam platform first.

it sound like you can but other stated you can't so would use care less you be out $30

small edit to add also on eso page

Once you have the correct version of Steam, you can then link your Steam account to your ESO account.

1. From the Steam Library, select The Elder Scrolls Online and press Play.
    2. Allow the ESO Launcher to open, download and apply any required updates, and select Play.

so if launcher is your issues you still have same problem even on steam

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I am pretty certain that you can't "merge" accounts. When the Gold Edition came out one of the questions was "could existing owners of ESO buy the Gold Edition and get the DLC on their existing accounts?" Zenimax's answer was no they needed to buy the DLC for their existing account - and that they had launched a 4 DLC pack.

Which suggests that you won't be able to use your Collector's account bonuses on any new account.

This suggests that what you need to do is install your collectors edition. OK you have problems with this.

Presumably you have gone to ZoS's site and started a download? (Or are you installing off disc?) Which has subsequently stalled? And then ..... tried to install it again?

First suggestion: there are a number of options in the "tools" - the cog in top right of the launcher. If you click on the cog and then click on About one of them is "Game Consultant" which is a diagnostic tool. Suggest you try that first.

(There is (certainly was) a repair option as well which helps with some download install issues but will have to check out where that is hiding).
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Any purchase of any ESO game version, whatever it's called, from whichever vendor,  that has the base game as part of it needs a new separate account and can not be merged with any existing account... period.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    In the beginning, when they locked down their Steam forum they didn't want current ESO owners telling people about the problems in the game so only those who bought the game through Steam could post in ESO Steam Forums.  

Which by the way is still locked down even though the games doing a lot better.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    In the beginning, when they locked down their Steam forum they didn't want current ESO owners telling people about the problems in the game so only those who bought the game through Steam could post in ESO Steam Forums.  

Which by the way is still locked down even though the games doing a lot better.
    I think it should work that way for all steam games TBH if it doesn't already. As there's no proof those folks played the game at all, whichever game that may be. Steam's feedback is bad enough as it is as far as trolling goes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

gervaise1 said:
    I am pretty certain that you can't "merge" accounts. When the Gold Edition came out one of the questions was "could existing owners of ESO buy the Gold Edition and get the DLC on their existing accounts?" Zenimax's answer was no they needed to buy the DLC for their existing account - and that they had launched a 4 DLC pack.

Which suggests that you won't be able to use your Collector's account bonuses on any new account.

This suggests that what you need to do is install your collectors edition. OK you have problems with this.

Presumably you have gone to ZoS's site and started a download? (Or are you installing off disc?) Which has subsequently stalled? And then ..... tried to install it again?

First suggestion: there are a number of options in the "tools" - the cog in top right of the launcher. If you click on the cog and then click on About one of them is "Game Consultant" which is a diagnostic tool. Suggest you try that first.

(There is (certainly was) a repair option as well which helps with some download install issues but will have to check out where that is hiding).
    I cannot install anything not even the launcher.

1. I DL the exe from their site
    2. Click install
    3. Nothing happens

I have searched their forums and asked everyone under the sun for help but nothing works. This happens on TWO of my computers with different specs but both with win 10.
    I finally got it to work. DL'd it yesterday and for some reason it installed without any problems like before.

Thanks for the all the advice & help everyone.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Smiley face! I had read your post above - especially the bit about not being able to install the launcher - and was "puzzled". I still am but I can live with puzzled since it is now running.