Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PAX East 2017 - Rend Wants to Make Survival Suck Less a Previews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imagePAX East 2017 - Rend Wants to Make Survival Suck Less a Previews at MMORPG.com

Frostkeep Studios is a crew based in Irvine, California, composed of quite a few MMO industry veterans. Their first project, Rend is a survival game, but with a heavy helping of MMO features, in an ambitious attempt to create something new and exciting in the industry. They want to make a survival game without the suck.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kudos to them for trying something different.

I'm not sure that "campaign-based" game play with regular server resets is going to captivate the masses, but seeing as Crowfall are trying something similar, perhaps there's an audience for it.
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Seems cool but will it dethrone rust and ark probly not as that is where most of the survival players are other than DayZ and h1z1.

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Seems interesting. The addition of private servers is nice so groups can play how they want to outside of the public servers.

Win conditions is a relatively new thing for these types of games. Might bring a new audience into the fold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    But suckage is inherent to the survival genre.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    number 2034 survival "mmo"

how exciting!!?!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This is more sci fi it seems . I think in this survival genre I think there are enough games for it to become a category by itself for it to succeed you have set yourself apart from the other survival MMOs out there.

I wanted to try Conan Exiles but have not got around to it but I love the sci fi theme. I wanted Wildstar to succeed so much mainly because I wanted another MMO in the sci fi setting. I hope this game is able to raise the bar and make it interesting for us to play a survival game with the sci fi theme.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Seems like they some interesting improvements to the survival genre, but I prefer persistent worlds vs resetting games so likely not for me.

Also, the numbers are still pretty small, well under 100 per server.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Just not interested in survival games so does nothing for me.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493

smh
    I will be glad when the survival craze is over.

I don't think they are going anywhere. In fact, I think we are going to see a lot more. :)
    TheScavenger
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Make a game where you say darkness and torch mechanics are a feature... Have more pictures of daylight than dark environments on your steam page (the dusk environs are just pink daytime).

Spend more time showing off base raiding, than building, or crafting... Meaning you're going to attract the hardest community to keep happy first (the PvPers), that have the largest number of options to them (almost any game). Compared to the crafters which really don't have too many places (compared to PvPer), or end up getting their mechanics crowded out in most games.

Won't be going out of my way for news, but might pause for a bit if news is easy to find.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    yawn ....they can try for sure, good luck ! they gonna need it
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I'm gonna make a survival game, where you have to survive through all of the bad survival games.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Hey guys, I made an official discord server for the game. A developer is already involved in it.

https://discord.gg/6yFbufH
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Each to their own and all but I've had plenty of "fun" in Conan Exiles. I like the premise of the genre, as well as like survival modes in games like Fallout 4. Too bad there aren't more with settings I'd enjoy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

anemo said:

Make a game where you say darkness and torch mechanics are a feature... Have more pictures of daylight than dark environments on your steam page (the dusk environs are just pink daytime).

Spend more time showing off base raiding, than building, or crafting... Meaning you're going to attract the hardest community to keep happy first (the PvPers), that have the largest number of options to them (almost any game). Compared to the crafters which really don't have too many places (compared to PvPer), or end up getting their mechanics crowded out in most games.

Won't be going out of my way for news, but might pause for a bit if news is easy to find.

It's a PvP base-defense survival game. Surprise! Slightly different from other base-defense survival games in that it has crafting! and PvE elements! and classes! and progression! Veteran PvP players make PvP game for veteran PvP players! Leaving out all the stuff PvPers don't like. Mostly by leaving out the term "PvP" to describe their game.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Distopia said:
    Each to their own and all but I've had plenty of "fun" in Conan Exiles. I like the premise of the genre, as well as like survival modes in games like Fallout 4. Too bad there aren't more with settings I'd enjoy.
    I'm hoping for games like Conan Exiles to evolve into mini MMORPG's. I like the idea of being able to host our own servers. I want big harsh virtual worlds with lots of dangerous places and encounters. Playing with 50, 100, maybe 200 like minded people in a persistent world is very appealing to me.

Don't need a story and quests. Just need interesting places to explore, challenging creatures to fight and mature like minded players to enjoy a game with.

Give Asshats the boot.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    laserit said:
    Distopia said:
    I'm hoping for games like Conan Exiles to evolve into mini MMORPG's. I like the idea of being able to host our own servers. I want big harsh virtual worlds with lots of dangerous places and encounters. Playing with 50, 100, maybe 200 like minded people in a persistent world is very appealing to me.

Don't need a story and quests. Just need interesting places to explore, challenging creatures to fight and mature like minded players to enjoy a game with.

Give Asshats the boot.
    I agree, what I like most about the genre is their features make it more worthwhile to do the types of things I do in a game like Skyrim when I'm done the story. Which I tend to play those for hundreds of hours past that point. Modding helps a lot with that which games like CE has. I get why folks who are into structured content don't like these games, I just don't understand why many seem to trash them outright as if they have no type of audience or worth. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Cazriel said:

anemo said:

It's a PvP base-defense survival game. Surprise! Slightly different from other base-defense survival games in that it has crafting! and PvE elements! and classes! and progression! Veteran PvP players make PvP game for veteran PvP players! Leaving out all the stuff PvPers don't like. Mostly by leaving out the term "PvP" to describe their game.
    You do have a point I guess.

But they are still TitanFall-ing themselves.   It won't matter if their game is better or not, with so many similar games that are new there's not much of a point for players to care or look at new faces.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The game will not survive,i see nothing there to keep players beyond the typical NEW game so lets play,then everyone leaves 2-3 weeks later.
    Look at Conan,some instant hype then it literally fell off the map in a week.

Modding/private servers are fun to mess around with but it alienates the servers so that the game looks dead then everyone leaves.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Tbh i don't mind more survival games, I just don't like when we get ones that don't do anything, and are just a copy of the last. Big empty space with nothing going on. If this game tries to grow the idea and improve it, then I'm all for it and it seems this is what this game is trying to do, so hats of to them. Ill keep an eye on it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2017
    Early access is the bane of survival games and MMOs these days. Times were better when devs had to actually make something good before they could make any money. The survival genre is the worst victim of this problem because it got popular around the same time as early access. This is why you'll probably never see a AAA survival game. Early access sounded good on paper.. everyone contributing to the development process.. but in reality you just have too many opinions contaminating the development process and a soured first impression for the players.

Man, those people who love the genre could have something 10x better but they probably never will....
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

smh
    I will be glad when the survival craze is over.

I don't think they are going anywhere. In fact, I think we are going to see a lot more. :)
    Yup, and in the endless stream of wannabe's there's bound to be a few that come up with some interesting angles. Dev's are realizing that they need to come up with compelling game play features to be noticed in the crowd...
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    First
    Cool someone is making a survival game that is different and takes out the suck.

Lets read!

Its has pvp......................... its like the devs are fricking idiots
    The suck IS the pvp

You cant make a survival game with pvp.
    Why even call it survival game then... just call it a team based pvp game because thats what it will turn into 24/7
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    nice. it has potential. I hope it's a quality survival game.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!