Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game the usual Asian stuff?

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    jimmywolf said:
    the game has a steep learning curve an if you have a short attention span or need to be told what to do it not worth your time but if you don't mind their lot to do in game an it a lot of fun overall. you can try it for free or pay $10 to own it, which is more then a fair price for what it offers.
    This comment is only made by people who have never played a MMO more complex than WOW and have no real concept of what a steep learning curve really is.

If you just ignore everything except killing mobs I guess its pretty straight forward, but there is a lot to learn if you want to delve into its crafting/farming and trading/node systems: definitely more than any other mmo I have played (I haven't played Eve, but I've played a few others apart from WoW ;)).

In terms of the OP's question, it has all the flashy combat and skimpy female clothing you'd expect from an Asian mmo, but it does have an interesting and pretty deep crafting/trading system and it does a lot of things quite differently than other mmos.
    Reading what the OP wrote I think it was probably posted to allow a place for others to make fun of these types of games. It was not asked in seriousness it was an invitation to make fun of the game rather than an actual wish to play it.

I get that people do not like Asian games and they do tend to just lump them together although as someone else pointed out Japanese games are quite different and do not deserve the lumping but while people are entitled to their opinion to start a thread to just post your derision of the Asian games seems  a bit of a low blow. Why can't you leave the forum where the fans of this game go to enjoy the game to them instead of inviting others who dislike and want to ridicule it a place to do so.

I liked BDO a lot but it would be a waste  to explain why in this thread though.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2017
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    jimmywolf said:
    the game has a steep learning curve an if you have a short attention span or need to be told what to do it not worth your time but if you don't mind their lot to do in game an it a lot of fun overall. you can try it for free or pay $10 to own it, which is more then a fair price for what it offers.
    This comment is only made by people who have never played a MMO more complex than WOW and have no real concept of what a steep learning curve really is.

If you just ignore everything except killing mobs I guess its pretty straight forward, but there is a lot to learn if you want to delve into its crafting/farming and trading/node systems: definitely more than any other mmo I have played (I haven't played Eve, but I've played a few others apart from WoW ;)).

In terms of the OP's question, it has all the flashy combat and skimpy female clothing you'd expect from an Asian mmo, but it does have an interesting and pretty deep crafting/trading system and it does a lot of things quite differently than other mmos.
    I did read up on the crafting/farming and trading/node systems and am impressed with their depth.

Nice to see there is a learning curve once again in MMORPG's, and I'm sure this is a welcome addition for many players.  (I'm not a crafter, but I do like trading so it might be interesting)

Just when people call it "steep" (in a condescending manner) I take exception, I know steep and I doubt this compares to my frame of reference.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jj16ThLhttp://

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    jimmywolf said:

I did read up on the crafting/farming and trading/node systems and am impressed with their depth.

Nice to see there is a learning curve once again in MMORPG's, and I'm sure this is a welcome addition for many players.  (I'm not a crafter, but I do like trading so it might be interesting)

Just when people call it "steep" (in a condescending manner) I take exception, I know steep and I doubt this compares to my frame of reference.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jj16ThLhttp://

imo , everything in BDO is pretty straight forward , the only learning curve is the lack of proper localization , at least when i played , from launch to lvl 48 ... The only challenge in the game was figuring out the terrible way that mechainics are explained (or lack of) otherwise it was run of the mill
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    LOL all the Asian games are the usual Asian stuff,  Its kind of like asking if the Pope is still Catholic.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Dibdabs said:
     ...fear the game will have the usual Asian vibe going on...
    The animated taijitu in your avatar is a study in sophomoric contradiction.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited March 2017
    goboygo said:
    LOL all the Asian games are the usual Asian stuff,  Its kind of like asking if the Pope is still Catholic.
    They have similarities, but I feel BDO and AA both brought several distinct features that made them stand out from others.  Never played RO, but hey, I do know it has "skipping"  ;) 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2017
    Aori said:
    Well I don't view the art as particularly Asian. Also there is no RNG in crafting. Enhancements on the other hand is definitely more a Korean thing. As for the combat, I guess if action combat = asian thats true? Mob grinding has been a thing in all MMOs, heavy grinds in general exists in some form or fashion in all MMOs.

BDO stands up to western titles in terms of quality. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Also the implication that Asian titles are of lower quality than Western is just blind prejudice. 
    1) I might be wrong but I do not recall any "sexy looking" females with high heels and mini-skirts in western MMOs...

Imo, the touch of anime in BDO characters is undeniable.

Regardless, this "realistic" environment mixed in completely unfitting character design or objects is truly something special about Asian games - ie. cars in AA.

2) Yeah, action flashy combat is mostly Asian stuff.

3) Mob grinding isn't really common in western MMOs. You have raids, bosses or w/e but old fashioned mob killing grind to level up/get crafting mats is merely non-existent. Western MMOs shifted from that paradigm long ago.

4) It is not a prejudice.

Asians have vastly different approach to MMO business. In the west, developers rather aim for 1 game costing huge amount of money, in Asia on the other hand there is plethora of  "smaller" MMOs.

There is no comparable quality game such as SWTOR, WoW or ESO on Asian market. They simpy do not aim for such enormous budgets.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    What about FFXIV can pit that game against WoW . In Final Fantasy you have something that is of good quality and before that FFXI was also a very good game that was in my opinion able to stand shoulder to shoulder to the games from that time.

kitarad said:
    What about FFXIV can pit that game against WoW . In Final Fantasy you have something that is of good quality and before that FFXI was also a very good game that was in my opinion able to stand shoulder to shoulder to the games from that time.
    Pretty sure Japanese devs would take offense to being lumped with their mainland peers.

But hey, FFXIV stumbled out of gate pretty badly but did a great recovery.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Yep.  Gender locked classes, grindy as hell, no real endgame, etc etc

I wouldn't bother unless you really like economy sims.  That's what BDO is at the end of the day. 
    edited March 2017
    Aori said:
    1. While miniskirts aren't a thing, bikini armor is. BDO characters look however you want them to look, they don't appear anime to me unless designed that way by the player.

2. WoW has flashy combat, there is a reason people raged when Shaman windfury animations got toned down. WoW is a freaking light show of spell effects and animations. 

3. Point was, mob grinding wasn't an asian thing, it was an everyone thing. You still grind mobs in WoW for mats, ESO had viable grinding for awhile but I heard it was nerfed. 

4. You come off as prejudice. Just calling it like I see it. Western MMOs are far from perfect and in fact they are growing further from what an MMO should be.

As for your budgets, well it hasn't done most western MMOs a whole lot of good out of the gate has it? How much more did they have to do to salvage their poor launches? Some of them are dying or even dead. 

Budget means jackall when you don't know what to do with it. Even so, there are quite a few high budget asian MMOs, Final Fantasy being the largest I think. There are quite a few that are likely well over the 50million mark.
    1-3 you are just trying to dance around the points made, so.../shrugs

Talking of "prejudice" and then going forwards with your rant about ow most successful MMOs to date are "dying"...
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    You should give it a TRI !

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    jimmywolf said:
    You can "Literally' auto-run to every quest location. There are big circles on the mini-map showing you where to go if you don't desire that level of hand holding. You say steep learning curve, and there may be a curve but it is nowhere steep. I do not agree that the game is without depth, however deep it is not.

I will caveat my above statements with; I only gave the game about 40 hours as with most games I doubt that is enough to really dig into the minutiae of the game, therefore, a lot of it may have been lost on me. However, what I saw during that time was pretty predictable, and at times boring. Compared to a game like Eve that has a steep (and anyone that has played it will agree) learning curve this one is rather flat. I put it somewhere just above WoW in complexity. Certainly not any higher.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited March 2017
    Hatefull said:
    (and anyone that has played it will agree)
    I disagree!
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    I would say typical asian mmo LITE, not as hardcore as the real "typical asian mmos".
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    It's Asian alright. But it's good at it.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited March 2017
    Aori said:
    Gdemami said:
    Aori said:
    How is it a typical asian game? If this was made by a western studio no one would say a word about it and would probably do better just on that fact alone.
    Asian art, combat, heavy rng crafting, mob grinding and overall focus on grind, lower quality compared to west titles, etc.
    Well I don't view the art as particularly Asian. Also there is no RNG in crafting. Enhancements on the other hand is definitely more a Korean thing. As for the combat, I guess if action combat = asian thats true? Mob grinding has been a thing in all MMOs, heavy grinds in general exists in some form or fashion in all MMOs.

BDO stands up to western titles in terms of quality. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Also the implication that Asian titles are of lower quality than Western is just blind prejudice. 
    I have to agree.  I never understand the notion that if it's from Asia it's cheap.  I think some westerners (especially my fellow Americans) forget there is more than just China in Asia.  It's a big fucking continent and has many different cultures and flavors.  To sum it all up as "typical Asian" seems really insincere or plain ignorant.  

Also, of course there is going to be Eastern themes in an Asian mmo.  I can't believe people still don't get this.  What are they expecting Asian mmos to be full of cheeseburgers and type 2 diabetes like America?
    I have to agree.  I never understand the notion that if it's from Asia it's cheap.  I think some westerners (especially my fellow Americans) forget there is more than just China in Asia.  It's a big fucking continent and has many different cultures and flavors.  To sum it all up as "typical Asian" seems really insincere or plain ignorant.  

Also, of course there is going to be Eastern themes in an Asian mmo.  I can't believe people still don't get this.  What are they expecting Asian mmos to be full of cheeseburgers and type 2 diabetes like America?
    In your first paragraph you say "typical Asian" is plain ignorant, in second paragraph you acknowledge "Eastern theme".

So which way it is?

All I am saying that BDO shares same distinct "features" like any other Asian MMO, for better or worse but that is up to each own consideration.

Gdemami said:

In your first paragraph you say "typical Asian" is plain ignorant, in second paragraph you acknowledge "Eastern theme".

So which way it is?

All I am saying that BDO shares same distinct "features" like any other Asian MMO, for better or worse but that is up to each own consideration.

If you don't understand the condescending manner that "typical Asian" is usually used in.  Compared to "Eastern themes".  Not sure if I'll be able to help you.  But I will try.  One is aesthetics and the other is borderline prejudice if you are still confused.  When someone says "Oh boy, another typical Asian grinder".  I don't think they are putting it in a positive light.  But I have a feeling you already knew this.
    If you don't understand the condescending manner that "typical Asian" is usually used in. 
    Fuck political correctness.

I didn't say anything like "Oh boy another typical Asian grinder!"

If anyone wants to attach a negative connotation where is none and then feel offended, let them have it. Not like you can stop them anyway.

• Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited March 2017
    BDO shares same distinct "features" like any other Asian MMO

every American mmo shares the same features  as well

i think bdo does it better then most in its category
    you pay for the game once , you never feel pressured into buying anything
    you don't need a sub and the game has so much content
    its enough to keep anybody busy for a while
    If not anything to take out of it is some of these games know how to do certain things right
    in bdos case, great graphics , organic world , day to night , weather , elements that immerse people , its active with people and npc activity is not static bs
    questing is boring at times , but you just stop and do something else
    ui , learning curve there is a lot of stuff going on . there are things i don't like about bdo
    not a fanboy i do jump around in gaming but i don't think its fits into a the category of typical mmo from > insert wherever it has alot more depth then anything we offer over here lately
    Gdemami said:
    If you don't understand the condescending manner that "typical Asian" is usually used in. 
    Fuck political correctness.

I didn't say anything like "Oh boy another typical Asian grinder!"

If anyone wants to attach a negative connotation where is none and then feel offended, let them have it. Not like you can stop them anyway.

It's not PC lol.  It's basically slang.  Why is that so hard to understand?  And who said you said it?  Why so defensive?  I was speaking in general when people say that they usually mean it in a derogatory way.  Calm your tits Nancy.
    It's not PC lol. 
    Are you sure you understand what political correctness is....?

I am not defensive at all, just making a point about PC.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Dibdabs said:
    Against all previous experience, I am tempted give BDO a try, but fear the game will have the usual Asian vibe going on.  You know what I mean...  Mobs with the same synchronized moves in combat like they're line-dancers, pinball-mating-with-a-Christmas-tree light show during combat (and indeed anywhere/everywhere else!), characters shrieking like chimps in heat as they fight, gigantic melee weapons and/or leaping around in combat like a frog on steroids?

Like western mmo's are any better, if they were you'd be playing them. 

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Aori said:
    Hatefull said:
    jimmywolf said:
    You can "Literally' auto-run to every quest location. There are big circles on the mini-map showing you where to go if you don't desire that level of hand holding. You say steep learning curve, and there may be a curve but it is nowhere steep. I do not agree that the game is without depth, however deep it is not.

I will caveat my above statements with; I only gave the game about 40 hours as with most games I doubt that is enough to really dig into the minutiae of the game, therefore, a lot of it may have been lost on me. However, what I saw during that time was pretty predictable, and at times boring. Compared to a game like Eve that has a steep (and anyone that has played it will agree) learning curve this one is rather flat. I put it somewhere just above WoW in complexity. Certainly not any higher.
    Eh both are unintuitive, though I think BDO does a better job at teaching players the very basics. It still has a rather steep curve on gearing, combat, life skills and management. The whole life skills, workers, nodes, energy and contribution points thing is really daunting at the start and is one of the biggest complaints. 

EVE is/was the most unintuitive game I've ever played. I like space sims but EVE was shit from that perspective so I never bothered going further.
    As I said (in this and another thread) with the amount of time I put in I may not have experienced enough to have a valid opinion on the game. It's just not for me. I won't say it is a bad game, it just not a game I can get into.

@Gdemami - Then I doubt very seriously you have ever played Eve. Or you are just a troll, either way, this is the last attention you will get from me.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.