Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be your favourite unorthodox setting for an MMORPG? Pt. 2

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
edited March 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
A second batch of settings that I think would work well for an MMORPG. Some have been tried, some haven't. Vote for your favourite.

See pt. 1 here:
http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/460991/what-would-be-your-favourite-unorthodox-setting-for-an-mmorpg/p1 

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I would love a Vampire:  The Masquerade MMORPG as long as it is done as a virtual world that embraces a majority of the tabletop aspects of the game, such as the politics, clans, blood magic and feeding off humans without killing them.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Dying for a new cyber punk mmo like Neocron 2.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The cyberpunk theme seems to allow the most avenues of progression and specialization. I'm really hoping for a Ghost in the Shell MMO that's in this vien.

My only caveat is that melee is a balanced enough against ranged, for builds like a high tech ninja.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    Actually more like TSW but with better combat mechanics and a more flexible skill tree.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm in with a Planetary Colonization team.  At least I haven't seen that attempted at an MMORPG level.   Soldiers clear an area while Engineers build a settlement that is then occupied by Settlers, Scientists, and Bureaucrats, each with different mechanics and skills.  Settlers then produce goods and materials, Scientists research new technology, and Bureaucrats direct the expansion.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Renaissance fantasy is my favorite setting by far. Everything that makes medieval fantasy so popular with a splash of culture and art. 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I think a Wild West setting could be cool if done right.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Volgore said:
    Red dead redemption 2 or whatever it is called ?Looks pretty good to me,i think i might actually buy it,i forgot about it until you mentioned a wild west game.
    I don't think i have any particular favorite but i would still like to see a really good Fantasy setting and not these linear questing versions of.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Volgore said:
    I would like something along the lines of Deadlands.  Western with a touch of supernatural and some "magic". Not full-on steampunk, but maybe some steampunk elements.  Like maybe one of the factions uses steampunk equipment and styling.

I just think that the western settings are horribly underplayed considering how culturally popular it is.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I love cyberpunk setting and always will try any game with this setting.  I also think Ottoman Empire would be an interesting setting.

Lastly, 1920s-1930 China. At this time it was one of the few places in the world where you didn't need a passport to go.  Which lead a lot of criminals from all different countries going there to lay low or escape to.  It was almost like the wild west at that time period.  I imagine there could be so many avenues you could go with this setting.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I like the idea of planetary colonisation. You've got an immediately good setting for a sandbox, extreme freedom in terms of design and you could get away with some really interesting ideas. 

So, i'm picturing being able to head off into the wilderness with my guild to establish our own town, eventually building it up large enough to become a starter zone for new players. Whilst the main dev-built towns / factions are focused on military rule and being a good citizen, my guild might establish ourselves as a hedonist haven with criminal undertones, allowing us to have some good pvp with the main faction. I'm imagining weird zones with floating mountains (like Avatar), some pvp arenas where gravity gets all fucked up and stuff. Crazy npc monsters running around that need either taming or killing. 

Good times 
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I was looking forward to Vampire the Masquerade MMO that was coming out. CCP ripped my heart out when they canceled it. (still bitter about it)

A Steampunk wild west MMO would be good setting also.

Elric of Melnibone would be a great setting also.

*** Raving Rabbid is looking forward to Aloy cosplay! Horizon: Zero Dawn ***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    There needs to be a shadowrun MMORPG... nuff said, chummer.

Slot off, frag face!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Renaissance probably has some of the more interesting options available for here.    Whole new classes of people just starting to make a larger social impact.   Multiple social contructs forming/breaking (roles of merchants, church, aristocrats, rulers, bureaucrats).   You could probably make a whole game just based on patronage.    Ideas and people just starting to move about and trade in bigger/more-frequent ways.

It's also a time in history that is almost as fanciful as medieval times in peoples minds.  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I would say a comicbook-esque world. More color splashes. :D There's one out there but their lack of caring of pvp made me uninstall after a few months. :x
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Insect evolution theme . I would like to play as insect , kill and eat other prey to evolve to higher forms .
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Underwater

We tend to only cover land, or outer space, but what about the vast bodies of water which makes up more than the land does?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The human body! White blood cells vs bacteria..  A Sandwich!  Ketchup vs Mustard vs Mayonnaise. 

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Of all the choices I'll pick cyberpunk. Bring back the Matrix! There was a Matrix Online between 2005 and 2009. It had lots of potential but SOE took over, ended the live events, made unpopular changes to the combat, and ruined it (much like they did with SWG). A new Matrix game would be awesome (unlikely but awesome).
    If not the Matrix (or a very Matrix-like setting) then something comparable like Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, etc.