Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria - PAX East 2017 - A Chat with Jeromy Walsh - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria - PAX East 2017 - A Chat with Jeromy Walsh - MMORPG.com

This weekend we took time to sit with the Chronicles of Elyria and go through some of their steps to break down development of the game. The team is moving forward and had a fantastic booth at the show. With any MMO in development, it is a process and Chronicles has been very transparent with their fans. Jeromy Walsh and Director of Production, Vye Alexander gave us a break down of where the game is moving and how quickly their team is expanding.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    So they're first going to produce a single-player version of CoE ?

And then they just add some network code... and voila ! We have the MMO !

This team continues to amaze me...
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Why did you not ask this question: Why were you "selling" donor packages costing up to $10k, when you KNEW that without major outside funding, all you could afford was to make a tech demo and the game would never release? Why would someone pay $10k for a package for a tech demo?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Looking at their feature list, anyone with a brain could see they were not going to make it far with what they brought in. Hope they do well for the people who supported this.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Lets see, release a single player foundation followed by the full MMO. Seems I've heard of this formula before. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    glad i didnt get dragged into this aswell

its @least another 3 years to get this mmo.. if it even comes
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    lawl, so shocked!

I thought the lead dude had spent 10 years building the engine from scratch and they were going to have a full release ready by the end of 2017 and that they were going to do it with just a million bucks.

It's only a matter of time before people (suckers) realize that the feature list was way too ambitious, the timeline preposterous, the funding paltry, and the result inevitable.

PSA: Stop giving your money to people who don't have realistic plans.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Kyleran said:
    Lets see, release a single player foundation followed by the full MMO. Seems I've heard of this formula before. ;)
    38 studios all over again.  Just waiting for the tears.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    A singleplayer version of this might be a nightmare later, when network is part of the core of how all is meant to work, especially a game that is fundamentally one MMO alone.
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited March 2017
    C'mon Garrett. Why give them a free pass? Someone needs to start asking Jeromy the tough questions. Like, "how do you plan to address the community concerns about your title being a Pay for Advantage game?" And then don't let him just say that being a king isn't an advantage because you have do all this strategy stuff and not the fight/kill/loot adventuring. Why would anyone pay $10K to play a king in a game if their isn't any advantage to it? He has to give his investors something and has to give those who invest more, more of that something. So what exactly are they getting...power, fame, advantage...what?

We need MMORPG.com to be the voice of consumers. We know you guys/gals play these games. Is no one on the staff in the least concerned about the increasing prevalence of Pay for Advantage titles?
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Papasmerv said:
    C'mon Garrett. Why give them a free pass? Someone needs to start asking Jeromy the tough questions. Like, "how do you plan to address the community concerns about your title being a Pay for Advantage game?" And then don't let him just say that being a king isn't an advantage because you have do all this strategy stuff and not the fight/kill/loot adventuring. Why would anyone pay $10K to play a king in a game if their isn't any advantage to it? He has to give his investors something and has to give those who invest more, more of that something. So what exactly are they getting...power, fame, advantage...what?

We need MMORPG.com to be the voice of consumers. We know you guys/gals play these games. Is no one on the staff in the least concerned about the increasing prevalence of Pay for Advantage titles?
    Because if they actually asked "difficult" questions, the devs/producers would stop giving them access/press materials and answering their emails. Plus, it would alienate them and prevent them from being a paid advertiser in the future. So I would not hold my breath waiting for MMORPG.com or any gaming site asking anything but softball questions.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Somewhat disappointing that MMORPG didn't ask any of the obvious and critical questions at hand.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I actually would consider buying it as a single player game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Lot of people assume that a game can be MMO with just a simple mmo kit but the truth is that making a single player into a MMO is like trying to convert a train engine into a jet engine.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited March 2017

I would also, IF it had been promoted as a Single Player RPG in the first place. With the way they have marketed this (looking at that 10K and other poor decisions), I wouldn't touch this in any shape or form. Fuc% 'em.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Kyleran said:
    Can you say...Kingdoms of Amalur...
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    Relampago said:
    Single player MMO. I liked it. Most MMO's these days are solo-play driven anyway, you just see players but rarely even interact with them, little change.

The intensive design of CoE on Roleplay will, however, play against SP, because on it what matters is pretty much a PvE / Story with depth.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Relampago said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kingdoms of amalur was made by a different studio and it only shared the lore with the MMO.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    What I do find funny is that the fans keep repeating the chant of:
    "You can't make any claims about p2w because the game is so complex and completely different from anything you have ever seen before."

Then they show the demo and it's a carbon copy of Lara Croft..
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited March 2017

Shaigh said:

Relampago said:

Kyleran said:

Kingdoms of amalur was made by a different studio and it only shared the lore with the MMO.

uhhhh they were working in tandem
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

Papasmerv said:

This website makes money from the game companies spending ad dollars here. If they go too harsh on anything but the low hanging fruit, they will lose revenue.

The editorial staff of mmorpg.com is pretty spineless in that regard. For example, the only time I've seem them lambast a game is when it was already considered a failure, was reviled by many, and they had no money to spend to advertise here - eg. Pathfinder Online.

If you want real reviews, with honest looks and serious questions, you will have to go to independent blogs.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I called it. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Myrdynn said:

Shaigh said:

Relampago said:

Kyleran said:

uhhhh they were working in tandem
    Big huge games were already working on an RPG when THQ crashed. The tandem work was to fit the lore and story into the RPG that bhg were already making.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

glad i didnt get dragged into this aswell

its @least another 3 years to get this mmo.. if it even comes

Me as well! Thankfully I had the wisdom to avoid falling for these kickstarter ploys.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    So not even a mini multi player like Conan, Ark, Life is Feudal? Just straight to single player?

Well most of us new this wasnt going anywhere a couple years ago or whenever it was first announced and hyped.

Single player is completely useless. When youre supposedly reinventing the genre single player obviously cant do that.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Papasmerv said:

You understand what someone who drops $10,000 on a crowd funding project is thinking?  I can't even fathom.