Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's the combat...

Comments

• somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Thanks for responses. I personally think that they got everything superficial right, but everything to do with gameplay they got wrong. The animation style is great, but the combat is bad. The housing is great but the quests and pathing are year out of date. 

The problem is that the superficials of a game get you interested, but the fundamentals, the gameplay, keep you coming back, and they got this so, so wrong. 
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for responses. I personally think that they got everything superficial right, but everything to do with gameplay they got wrong. The animation style is great, but the combat is bad. The housing is great but the quests and pathing are year out of date. 

The problem is that the superficials of a game get you interested, but the fundamentals, the gameplay, keep you coming back, and they got this so, so wrong. 
    This is more or less how I feel as well. They let you customize so much, have a great housing system, etc., but that means jack shit when the gameplay is boring, story is boring, and all that stuff that keeps me coming back.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I decided to jump back into Wildstar, and there is a lot to like about it; the graphics (perhaps minus some of the excesses of flashing text); the environment, the fun, the housing... I can even put up with the elements I find weak, such as the generic quests and poor quest pathing. 

But it is the combat I cannot stand. When I was playing it again I just found myself wishing they had gone full TPS... I genuinely think that one change would have resulted in a successful game. 
    You nailed it. The light show combat indicators were horrific. I don't know how that made it through QA but it completely ruined the game for me. Crowfall will die in the same fashion.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Friendly reminder that you can adjust telegraphs to your liking or even disable them altogether.

While part of the combat requires telegraphs, at least you don't need your own abilities' telegraphs and you can turn down the overall light show a ton without running into any disadvantages.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I didn't think the combat was that bad other than the annoying red fields. I will say this, healing as a Medic was probably the most fun I've had with the role. You heal others just as you would attack the enemy. Really fun.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Aelious said:

I didn't think the combat was that bad other than the annoying red fields. I will say this, healing as a Medic was probably the most fun I've had with the role. You heal others just as you would attack the enemy. Really fun.

Yeah i mained medic for much of my time in WS and its the only time ive ever enjoyed healing.
    I think they just needed to tone the telegraphs down a little, maybe make it a hybrid combat system, a little like GW2. But they never listen. Instead they put what little resources they still have into making new zones with the same kind of content and new raids with the same kind of content. 
    Carbines upper managment are so out of touch with the genre. Its sad really.

Volgore said:
    Friendly reminder that you can adjust telegraphs to your liking or even disable them altogether.

While part of the combat requires telegraphs, at least you don't need your own abilities' telegraphs and you can turn down the overall light show a ton without running into any disadvantages.
    I always played warrior with telegraphs turned off, i also toned them down a lot with my medic. 
    I suggested this to my guildies and they thought i was crazy  O.o

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I decided to jump back into Wildstar, and there is a lot to like about it; the graphics (perhaps minus some of the excesses of flashing text); the environment, the fun, the housing... I can even put up with the elements I find weak, such as the generic quests and poor quest pathing. 

But it is the combat I cannot stand. When I was playing it again I just found myself wishing they had gone full TPS... I genuinely think that one change would have resulted in a successful game. 
    You nailed it. The light show combat indicators were horrific. I don't know how that made it through QA but it completely ruined the game for me. Crowfall will die in the same fashion.

I'm guessing the last time you watched a Crowfall video was February 2014. They switched to a TERA style of combat right after their Kickstarter.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited January 2017
    Seemed to me, during the very brief time I played the game before uninstalling in disgust, was they were trying to make an action-like combat that was friendly for tab-targetters, which just resulted in watered down combat that probably satisfied neither fans of action or tab target.  I think you have to go for one or the other (preferably action).

I agree with the OP.  I could've looked past all the other things that peeved me about the game (calling me "cupcake" when I level etc.) if the combat was engaging and fun.
  • ElmorenElmoren Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 110
    But guys!  Telegraphs were made for PVP!  Right?  Right guys?  Are the devs still listening?

Wildstar will forever be a staple of why you don't listen to the vocal minority when you make video games.  It will be a relief to see this absolute disaster finally sunset.  The sooner the better.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Elmoren said:
    It will be a relief to see this absolute disaster finally sunset.  The sooner the better.
    Kind of like Warhammer Online back then, right?

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited January 2017
    Maybe i am out of touch with mmorpgs but what everyone here stated they hate about wildstar, i actually like. I like questing in it, the cartoony graphics and love the combat. I don't know, maybe as i grow older i lose common sense.

I find tab target boring and tera as a whole pretty much meaningless. GW2 never made me want to log back in again and again. But that's just my opinion, i do not have an army wishing for a game that a few people enjoy to shut down just because i don't like it as much as them.

This is neither an insightful nor an agreeable post, just a fuck you to the hordes of angry wannabe developers/ "gamers" that populate this genre.
    Post edited by Junglecharly on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Maybe i am out of touch with mmorpgs but what everyone here stated they hate about wildstar, i actually like. I like questing in it, the cartoony graphics and love the combat. I don't know, maybe as i grow older i lose common sense.

I find tab target boring and tera as a whole pretty much meaningless. GW2 never made me want to log back in again and again. But that's just my opinion, i do not have an army wishing for a game that a few people enjoy to shut down just because i don't like it as much as them.

This is not an insightful nor an agreeable post, just a fuck you to the hordes of angry wannabe developers/ "gamers" that populate this genre.
    No one here has the power to shut your game but NCSoft has. It has to start turning a profit or at least not losing them money. The latest financials on Wildstar were dismal.

I enjoyed the cartoon art style and also the sci fi setting but the combat was awful and I have no wish for this game to shut down especially since there are people who enjoy it.

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited January 2017
    kitarad said:
    No one here has the power to shut your game but NCSoft has. It has to start turning a profit or at least not losing them money. The latest financials on Wildstar were dismal.

I enjoyed the cartoon art style and also the sci fi setting but the combat was awful and I have no wish for this game to shut down especially since there are people who enjoy it.

I respect different tastes, i am a fan of pluralism. That is what keeps the world go round.

My post was targeted to some other posters here that are over their heads. I am not an active wildstar player but that attitude irritates me. Not every normal conversation has to turn into a smart-ass and meanness competition.

I get that carbine is in deep financially but they're releasing a huge patch next month, so we will see, maybe they still have a chance.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Y'all are the reason we can't have nice things.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I actually love Wildstar's combat and praise it for being, imho, the best action combat in a mmo. Thinking about it's combat is actually what just made me restart it back up, lmao.

Witty & Wicked >:)

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I'm wondering if people who don't like the combat tried it with the mouse lock camera enabled which turn the combat into ESO-like combat?

I decided to retry Wildstar because I read they fixed the performance issues they had in closed beta/launch (it just run like crap on my PC in beta) and the combat was annoying until I set up the mouse lock camera properly (it's toggled off by default).
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    What turned me off was the poor 2nd launch and the lead dev saying come back in 2 weeks. Never went back.
  • vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I would have to agree, the combat made the game soooooooo boring. It is not because it was bad, it is because you see the same telegraph on the ground and it is the only thing you stare at the entire time. Times that by every second of combat and you get bored after awhile.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I love the game myself. I agree the questing could have been presented better. For me it was the telegraphs. I found I got to a place I was not looking at my char or what I was fighting. Instead just playing a game avoiding red circles and spaming abilities. I got really good at it but found it very boring. Sure the circles got more complex but thats all the game is about.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Combat definitely could use a lot of polish. One of the main things about this game (especially if you compare it to ESO which came out around the same time) is that it doesn't feel like it really progressed overall (in my opinion at least). Its been about 3 years or so and they are finally going to implement the matrix but its always had that stigma that anything they add now is pretty much too little too late. Maybe they can turn it around though...
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Nyctelios said:
    @azarhal is there like abusive amounts of bots on pvp still?
    Sorry, I don't PvP, so I have no idea.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    edited February 2017
    Combat wasn't the number one reason the game failed for many people.  The number one reason was the main thing they did was try to recapture large scale raiding as the main draw for the game.  This in itself wasn't horrible except you had the same problems you had in WoW before they got rid of 40 man raids.  If you have never ran a raid on that scale you have no idea how none fun it becomes and is more of a job than playing a game.  Standing around waiting for an hour just to get started because someone is running late or something happened and people need to leave half way through becomes a huge problem.  The raid attunement wasn't that bad but many people just didn't even want to do what was necessary to get into the raids and complained because they couldn't just jump in.  The raids were locked behind attunements, which in my opinion is a good thing, but seemed people didn't think it was right to have to prove you had what it takes to be in the raids.  Overall the endgame killed the game just as much as the bugs which were everywhere.  The first patch they added that added extra areas half the quest didn't even have names, they just showed up as ??? with go here and kill this without knowing why.  So instead of fixing what they had they attempted to stay the course with the update schedule they promised which was just to much for them to handle.  You can't add new content without fixing the old content first or you will drive people away.  There were many good things about the game, but the bad outweighed the good in the long term.  I personally don't mind the combat as far as the PVE side, but PVP was a mess that I will give you.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I have to point out that a lot of the information in this thread is absolutely wrong or outdated by more than two years now... 40 man raids were scrapped in the first month. Third person mouse look combat has always been in the game (at the beginning through addons, now available in the default interface but must be enabled.)

After that first month of release, raids were reduced to 20 man only. Tanking and healing received a moderate buff -- take less damage, more consistent heals.

The game has never been a "spaz fest" but it certainly does contain a lot of movement. Most raid encounters are just like every other game. Usually stack for everyone to receive buffs and healing, and moving for key mechanics like getting bombs out of the raid, or collecting objectives during encounters. If anything I would say it is a platformer before a spaz fest.

I know I'm necroing this thread, but at the same time, the information is about stuff that was scrapped within months of launch, and that was YEARS ago. 
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    You know what really kills it for me is?  That everything is so small from text to character models.  Also the nameplates are 2d while games like WoW have them in a 3d font which makes them stick out more.  Everything in WS seems so 'flat' because of the text to me.

I mean you can scroll in, but you're screwed because of how combat works and you can adjust the text size, but the 'flatness' of the font makes it so meh.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    edited March 2017
    The combat felt lackluster.   Your characters animations were stale and repetitive like they were locked in the same animation over and over.  

What I thought was rather odd and still confuses me to this day was that with all the hype that surrounded the game prior to it's launch, when the server's went live on launch day, the fact that I didn't see as many people as I thought I would on LAUNCH day in the starting zones is what blew me away.  Every single mmo I have played at a launch(which too many that i'd like to admit), you'd see tons and tons of people, which for me is exciting and a driving factor but during the first week of launch I was just confused.  Hardly seeing that many people in the new zones was just.... strange.  Almost as if it didn't do well from the getgo.  And, I was on the the most populated server at the time, according to server status pages, forums, etc. 

Was an overall, strange experience with Wildstar.  My friends who were hardcore Wildstars gonna be awesome to them quitting within a week or two.  Flabbergasted.