Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowdfunded MMORPGs [STATUS]

francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
edited March 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
CITADEL OF SORCERY  [Cancelled]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: $?
Development2004-2018
--- Unsuccessful KS campaign in 2012.

DIVERGENCE: ONLINE  [Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$40K
Development: 2009-2021*
--- Steam reviews: 56% positive. Between 0 and 20K copies sold.

REPOPULATION  [Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$225K
Development: 2010-2021*
--- Steam reviews: 62% positive. Relaunch planned.

GREED MONGER  [Cancelled]

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$100K
Development: 2011-2015* 
--- Internal studio conflicts.

HAILAN RISING  [Cancelled]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: -$50K
Development: 2011-2013*
--- Unsuccessful KS campaign in 2012.

STAR CITIZEN  [Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding$345M
Development: 2011-2021
--- Persistent universe and Squadron 42 still in production.

PATHFINDER ONLINE  [Stalled]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$1M
Development: 2011-2015*
--- 
Financial struggles, mass layoff in 2015.

PROJECT GORGON  [Beta]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$75K
Development: 2011-2021*
--- Steam reviews: 91% positive. Between 20K and 50K copies sold.

THE EXILED  [Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$30K
Development2011-2021
--- Steam reviews: 48% positive. Between 50K and 100K copies sold. (FKA Das Tal)

GLORIA VICTIS  [Beta]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: -$300K*
Development: 2012-2021
--- Steam reviews: 76% positive. Between 250K and 500K copies sold.

THE STOMPING LAND  [Cancelled]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Development: 2012-2015*
--- 
Between 0 and 20K copies sold on Steam. Cancelled in 2015.

ELITE: DANGEROUS [Released]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$1,7M
Development: 2012-2015
--- Steam reviews: 87% positive. Between 2M and 5M copies sold.
(not a MMO)

CITY OF TITANS  [Alpha]*
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$675K
Development2012-2021*
--- Patch 0.3 released.

ALBION ONLINE  [Released]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$10M
Development: 2012-2017
--- 
Steam reviews: 79% positive. Between 1M and 2M copies sold.

REVIVAL  [Cancelled]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Development: 2012-2016*
--- May relaunch under the name Theleston.

VALIANCE ONLINE  [Beta]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: $72K
Development2012-2021*
--- Unsuccessful KS campaign in 2014.

SHROUD OF THE AVATAR  [Released]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$11M
Development: 2013-2018
--- Steam reviews: 72% positive. Between 200K and 500K copies sold.

PANTHEON: ROTF  [Pre-Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Development: 2013-2021*
--- 
Regular updates. Unsuccessful KS campaign in 2014.

LEGENDS OF A
RIA  [Released]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Development: 2013-2019
--- Steam reviews: 55% positive. Between 20K and 50K copies sold. (FKA Shards Online)

BOUNDLESS  [Released]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$350K
Development: 2013-2018
--- Steam reviews: 83% positive. Between 20K and 50K copies sold. (FKA Oort Online)

CAMELOT UNCHAINED  [Beta]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: $4,4M
Development: 2013-2021*
--- Beta 1 tests 24x3. +5,000 ARCs (autonomous bots) in a small area and sieges.

CROWFALL  [Beta]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: $6,4M
Development: 2014-2021*
--- Eternal Kingdoms, God's Reach, Infected and Campaigns completed. Full game loop.

SAGA OF LUCIMIA  [Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$4K
Development: 2014-2021
--- Mostly self-funded.

IDENTITY  [Pre-Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$400K
Development: 2014-2021*
--- Still recruiting developers.

CHRONICLES OF ELYRIA  [Stalled]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$7,7M
Development: 2014-2020*
--- Studio announced cancellation of CoE, then flip-flopped.

DUAL UNIVERSE  [Beta]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$700K
Development2014-2021
--- Many major systems ready. Crowdfunding on their website.

ASHES OF CREATION  [Pre-Alpha]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Crowdfunding: +$3.3M
Development: 2015-2021*
--- Regular updates. Crowdfunding on their website.

LIFE IS FEUDAL: MMO  [Shut down]
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Development: 2015-2017*
--- Steam reviews: 50% positive. Between 200k and 500k copies sold.

FORSAKEN LEGENDS  [Stalled]

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Development2015-2018*
--- Website closed. No recent updates.

* May be inaccurate
Please let me know if you find a mistake!
Post edited by francis_baud on
xpsync

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    good thread :)
    francis_baudxpsync
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited March 2017
    Thanks!

So out of 20 "major" crowdfunded MMORPGs, 1 released, 5 cancelled, and the rest are still in development, most of them suffering heavy delays.

I think one of the big issues with crowdfunding is that the developers have to spend an astronomical amount of time just interacting with the community, releasing updates, user stories, live streams, etc. That surely drains a lot of resources.
    madazz
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    This tells a lot about .. today's "MMO's" .

Oh well . Good times are gone ..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited March 2017
    Dude, stop insulting the backers of Pathfinder Online.  It's still going strong!  :p
    Going strong... everything in life is relative indeed!  =p

In a recent update, the studio explains how they've failed to secure investment to keep the project going and how, with the implementation of the warfare features, they will "finally have versions of all the main systems in the game that we promised way back when we started."

I guess it may be related to the ToU of Kickstarter:

"When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. [...] If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. [...] If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers."

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The one that still catches my eye is Star Citizen....I just cant believe people have donated that much money to kickstarter for that game.......These must be the same people that have played 5 accounts in Eve for the last decade and have more money than they know what to do with?
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Spaced76 said:
    Dont pay for a game till it released. Most of these will cancel and take your money . Most MMO now a days are just a big scam. Gimme all your money. 
    bah, don't take chances stay in Africa, almost everyone who migrates to Europe dies.... Take a chance, support something!  If you always play it safe, you're gonna have a boring life.

I self identify as a monkey.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Proving that crowdfunding and MMOs/MMORPGs go together like rusty double edged razor blades and habanero infused intimate bodywash! (No thanks...)
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I called it. 
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Burntvet said:
    Proving that crowdfunding and MMOs/MMORPGs go together like rusty double edged razor blades and habanero infused intimate bodywash! (No thanks...)
    Why has no one cornered this market yet?? Someone get Bobby Flay on the phone.. He likes peppers, right? Habanero bodywash.. Jalapeno hair gel.. Sriracha conditioner.. The ads practically write themselves!! "Got a hot date? Well make it hotter with Habanero bodywash!! Your date will be sizzling!!"

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Recore said:
    I called it. 
    What, did you predict that some of these projects would fail?  If so, what was your reward for guessing correctly?

My reward is your reply.  =)
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The one that still catches my eye is Star Citizen....I just cant believe people have donated that much money to kickstarter for that game.......These must be the same people that have played 5 accounts in Eve for the last decade and have more money than they know what to do with?
    I remember asking this once before, but I don't recall ever hearing a clear answer...

Does the SC "funding" even take into account the ship sales and such?  If not, then they've made a heck of alot more than what's listed above.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    A couple missing from the list include Albion online, about to launch in July and Ashes of Creation, still just a twinkle in a young girl's eye. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2017
    IceAge said:
    This tells a lot about .. today's "MMO's" .

Oh well . Good times are gone ..
    There's still hope imo.

Life is Feudal: YO total budget was close to 500K, which is minuscule for a game of this scope, and they created an interesting product that sold for +$10M. The full MMO is coming along nicely apparently.

Dual Universe is another very promising title. The budget is relatively small too, but they're showing a lot of progress and I'm confident they'll deliver something great in a reasonable time frame.

Most of Star Citizen fans seem pleased with the progress made so far, even though it's taking longer than expected.

JamesGoblin
    Kyleran said:
    A couple missing from the list include Albion online, about to launch in July and Ashes of Creation, still just a twinkle in a young girl's eye. 
    All right, I've added Albion Online. AoC hasn't started its crowdfunding campaign yet so I'll wait for this one.
    JamesGoblin
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    OP, don't forget this one:
    http://www.forsakenlegends.com/

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The "developer" of divergence online decided to make divergence year zero and since then there have been no updates on divergence online. Both those games have zero players on steam. Might as well call it cancelled.

Otherland was a steam early access title, it ended up "released" as a f2p game that no-one plays, released being code for abandoned by developers since there is no need to actually finish your game to call it released. The game is completely dead.

Landmark was a steam early access title, ditched into released by DBG, later they cancelled the whole thing.
    You forgot about shards online.

Good thread.
    francis_baud
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    edited March 2017
    xyzercrime said:
    OP, don't forget this one:
    http://www.forsakenlegends.com/ 
    Oh yea, I forgot about that one, I'll add it as well as Legends of Aria (aka Shards Online) and The Exiled (aka Das Tal).
    JamesGoblin
    edited March 2017
    Shaigh said:
    The "developer" of divergence online decided to make divergence year zero and since then there have been no updates on divergence online. Both those games have zero players on steam. Might as well call it cancelled.

Otherland was a steam early access title, it ended up "released" as a f2p game that no-one plays, released being code for abandoned by developers since there is no need to actually finish your game to call it released. The game is completely dead.

Landmark was a steam early access title, ditched into released by DBG, later they cancelled the whole thing.
    You forgot about shards online.

Good thread.
    For Divergence, Pathfinder and the like which aren't officially cancelled I guess I'll just put "Stalled" as status.

I'll check for Otherland [edit: apparently that one wasn't crowdfunded], as well as Worlds Adrift [that one is not crowdfunded either from what I've seen] and Boundless (Oort Online).
    Post edited by francis_baud on
    JamesGoblin
    There is an indie title out there, under development since before the time the terms "indie" or "Kick starter" even came into being.

Only known to "ancients" such as I, Citadel of Sorcery probably stands as one of the longest time in development in modern history.

They ran a KS years ago which failed, however it provided one of the few glimpses they gave the outside world of their "ultra revolutionary, super amazing MMORPG" 

It's secrets are only shared with its highest patron levels and every time I'm sure it's dead they post a rare update on their website. (Feb 28th, 2017 being the first in a while.

I'd say add them to the list so we don't forget as this site deleted their forum a few years back during "the Purge"

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    You forgot City of Titans, which had a very successful kickstarter.

http://cityoftitans.com/

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Good thread. I hope you keep this updated.
    francis_baud
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited March 2017
    Recore said:
    I called it. 
    You called that some projects would fail ... when a percentage of ALL crowd funded projects fail across all products variations?

Wow ... we have a fucking Sherlock here. Nostradamus reborn!

Proof of Precognition ... call the scientists!

Damn good thing no major studio ever canceled a game in development either or that industry would vanish!

You stay sassy!

Kyleran said:
    There is an indie title out there, under development since before the time the terms "indie" or "Kick starter" even came into being.

Only known to "ancients" such as I, Citadel of Sorcery probably stands as one of the longest time in development in modern history.

They ran a KS years ago which failed, however it provided one of the few glimpses they gave the outside world of their "ultra revolutionary, super amazing MMORPG" 

It's secrets are only shared with its highest patron levels and every time I'm sure it's dead they post a rare update on their website. (Feb 28th, 2017 being the first in a while.

I'd say add them to the list so we don't forget as this site deleted their forum a few years back during "the Purge"

Ohh that's an interesting one. I'm checking it!
    Kyleran said:

Ohh that's an interesting one. I'm checking it!
    OK, but don't get too excited.  I just checked and see I first joined their forums right after they stood them up back in May 2011, and it had been under development for some time before that.

Might just break DF's record for longest MMO in development and they have never promised a date for launch or much of anything outside of the KSer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a bit misleading information here but i would hope to god most people fully understand what is going on.

Alpha/Bets is only a term it actually has no factual way to define it aside from what the developer themselves call it.

The term Alpha has been used to start the modern gimmick of getting players to pay for and accept unfinished and unacceptable work.Devs often in the past just made excuses or took a lot of criticism,now it is super easy for their PR guy to just say .."hey it's Alpha"

I have one hing to say to that.If YOU the developer KNOWS your product is not fit for sale,unfinished work,you have no business asking a single dime to play it.On top of that ,you should NOT have any cash shop either because if the game was truly in the testing phase,it should have a full wipe and game restarted when properly tested and functional.
    Truth is,these very sneaky,misleading devs do not care about integrity of their game,their ONLY goal is to get your money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.