Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Offers Fans a Platinum Light Saber for About $60 - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.co

Comments

• Dead_GuyDead_Guy Member UncommonPosts: 42

Whale

[hweyl, weyl]

noun, plural whales (especially collectively) whale.

1. A person with more money than sense.
  • SerMedievalSerMedieval Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Morpayne said:
    You can make 60 dollars working half the day at McDonalds or mowing 2 lawns. Stop crying about the price, they wanna keep it somewhat rare. 
    If you're working at McDonalds I doubt you'd be comfortable with spending 60$ for a vanity item, let alone entirely fine with a triple A game while worrying about bills. Mickie D's makes you work for it!

That lawnmower idea sure though, but for a 60$ vanity item on a fairly old MMORPG?

Fuck that.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    here is 60€ saber, we testing markets :D
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Morpayne said:
    You can make 60 dollars working half the day at McDonalds or mowing 2 lawns. Stop crying about the price, they wanna keep it somewhat rare. 
    If you're working at McDonalds I doubt you'd be comfortable with spending 60$ for a vanity item, let alone entirely fine with a triple A game while worrying about bills. Mickie D's makes you work for it!

That lawnmower idea sure though, but for a 60$ vanity item on a fairly old MMORPG?

Fuck that.
    IDK, I've read about people who spent 10K on a game and they usually worked extra jobs for the money.  A guy who had a large Superman collection lived in a one room apartment and had the stuff on the walls and ceiling.  Passion is not always directly related to income I think.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2017
    LOL EA.... seriously.
    This is really why i'm not supporting any mmos at the moment. I don't need the cosmetic, but if i dont buy it my character looks as generic and boring as a lvl 1 npc. /facepalm

I just spent those $60 on Nier Automata... a flipping FULL AAA GAME!!!

EA(and any other company who does this) really see their consumers as stupid sheeps charging that price for a light saber skin.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

EA really see consumers as stupid sheeps charging that price of a light saber skin.
    When they belligerently defend their right to act that way in forums, saving the company the hassle of needing to justify a $60 light saber, how else could the company see them?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

This is really why i'm not supporting any mmos at the moment. I don't need the cosmetic, but if i dont buy it my character looks as generic and boring as a lvl 1 npc. /facepalm
    TBF you can get a fair few of the cash shop fashion items for cheap on the auction house (GTN).

I got the $60 dollar lightsaber in question for 12 million credits (which is relatively cheap) on the GTN a while back.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    What are they going to charge for the Luke Skywalker haircut?
    Morpayne said:
    Do you really believe they are trying to keep it rare? They are trying to see how much money people are willing to pay for silly skins. They love people  like you. Expect more $60+ dollar skins in the future.

The length whales go to defend these practices is astonishing.

edited March 2017
    immodium said:

TBF you can get a fair few of the cash shop fashion items for cheap on the auction house (GTN).

I got the $60 dollar lightsaber in question for 12 million credits (which is relatively cheap) on the GTN a while back.
    the problem is not affording the item, is accepting such practices as if this has to be common practice in gaming. These things spread quickly to every games, including offline single player games. Specially when it comes out of EA's HQ. They just keep running the market to the ground.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Ridrith said:

To any idiot or superfan who buys this, you're what's wrong with gaming. You let them know there's a market out there for this type of shit and they love it. Christ, just go buy another game for 60 dollars. Get some enjoyment out of it.

So what's the difference between this and telling a sports car enthusiast that buying a Porsche is ruining the automobile industry? You think companies like EA don't understand their markets? Such an ignorant statement prefaced with your typical insult "idiot" go figure. Individuals are allowed to judge what they do with their money, even in gaming.

It's like people hating on games that offer the ownership of a virtual town for a few thousand bucks, the gaming industry is a new industry, it's gaining recognition as a business and professionalizing a lot. In the future as the industry grows you will see more and more varied types or tiers for purchasing virtual goods in these services.

It's like going to a concert, you have different prices for the different seat sections. And likewise examples can be found in every other entertainment business form. Pretty much. It's your typical case of an older generation telling the newer generation "You're doing it wrong.", "This isn't how it's meant to be.". Businesses evolve and changes and progression are inevitable if they want to survive. Adapt or cease to exist.
    It is not that simple. You see, buying items from a item shop give devs reason to put time and resources into item shops. If nobody would buy them, they would cease to exist. Everybody is complaining about item shops, especially in b2p and p2p games but yet, those seems to be profitable exactly because people use them. 
    Look this way - every single cosmetic could as well be put into core game as a drop, reward from boss/achivement/etc instead it is used as real money purchase. 
    People complain about overpriced items, about BDO costumes (which btw is victim of that trend - people buy any overpriced shit so why bother into puting any costumes into core game?), etc. 
    In general, anybody who buys anything from item shop work against his own interest as a gamer. Same as pre ordering or using early acces/kickstarter. It is not good for the industry and for the gamers. But devs would do that which give them money - if they would get rewarded for making good games, they would try really hard to make good game. Instead they are rewarded for making item shops. 

To clarify - i dont have any problem with item shops as long as they are not p2w in any way, shape or form. I dont use them and never will use them UNLESS i can do that without spending any money.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    aliven said:

Ridrith said:

To any idiot or superfan who buys this, you're what's wrong with gaming. You let them know there's a market out there for this type of shit and they love it. Christ, just go buy another game for 60 dollars. Get some enjoyment out of it.

So what's the difference between this and telling a sports car enthusiast that buying a Porsche is ruining the automobile industry? You think companies like EA don't understand their markets? Such an ignorant statement prefaced with your typical insult "idiot" go figure. Individuals are allowed to judge what they do with their money, even in gaming.

It's like people hating on games that offer the ownership of a virtual town for a few thousand bucks, the gaming industry is a new industry, it's gaining recognition as a business and professionalizing a lot. In the future as the industry grows you will see more and more varied types or tiers for purchasing virtual goods in these services.

It's like going to a concert, you have different prices for the different seat sections. And likewise examples can be found in every other entertainment business form. Pretty much. It's your typical case of an older generation telling the newer generation "You're doing it wrong.", "This isn't how it's meant to be.". Businesses evolve and changes and progression are inevitable if they want to survive. Adapt or cease to exist.
    It is not that simple. You see, buying items from a item shop give devs reason to put time and resources into item shops. If nobody would buy them, they would cease to exist. Everybody is complaining about item shops, especially in b2p and p2p games but yet, those seems to be profitable exactly because people use them. 
    Look this way - every single cosmetic could as well be put into core game as a drop, reward from boss/achivement/etc instead it is used as real money purchase. 
    People complain about overpriced items, about BDO costumes (which btw is victim of that trend - people buy any overpriced shit so why bother into puting any costumes into core game?), etc. 
    In general, anybody who buys anything from item shop work against his own interest as a gamer. Same as pre ordering or using early acces/kickstarter. It is not good for the industry and for the gamers. But devs would do that which give them money - if they would get rewarded for making good games, they would try really hard to make good game. Instead they are rewarded for making item shops. 

To clarify - i dont have any problem with item shops as long as they are not p2w in any way, shape or form. I dont use them and never will use them UNLESS i can do that without spending any money.
    Yep.  $60 is more than an expansion cost in the old days.  Why bother spending a year making an expansion when you can just color a lightsaber?
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261

immodium said:

Great thing about SWTOR's cash shop is that everything can be re-sold on the GTN for in game currency.

So if there's something you like in the cash shop you can get it by just playing the game.

Nothing's bind on acquire.

I'm sure it does wonders for the in-game economy. I'm guessing an item like that would probably be listed on the GTN for 100+ million credits.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited March 2017
    The corruption is strong with this one.

Make one tiny little in game item... charge the price of a full retail game.

People need to wake the fuck up.

You stay sassy!

• TouvellTouvell Member UncommonPosts: 1
    It's a cosmetic item, it's not a P2W item! lol reading half these comments sound more like jealous freaks who can't afford to buy this saber ingame with credits, and now they can't afford to buy it with CC. Either on principle of the P2W standard, or because they can't afford it.

READ the article. This is a test to see how it is received. Again, this is a Cosmetic item. It is NOT needed to be great in the game. Don't like it? Against the high cost? There's a simple solution. Don't buy it!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Funny thing is I won this item out of one cartel pack I bought a couple days prior to this listing.  I got it with my 500 cc from my sub lol.  
  • SpinalcoreSpinalcore Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I managed to get one of these from my Dark vs Light packs over the summer/fall. Mine was in my 30th or so DvL reward pack myself so I can't complain about the cost of the direct purchase since even if I had bought the 30 packs that still would have ran me about $60. So seems like a fair price viewing it that way. I can understand why they would want to do such a price since most people would have to open $60 or more worth of the "cartel packs" to get the specific saber, they were selling for more than 20 million credits on the server my friends and I play on.

So to me it seems like the Price was calculated as an average that most people had to spend to get the lightsaber from the packs and set the direct buy as roughly the average cost. I had seen videos where people talked about trying to get it from the hypercrates opening 40 to 100 packs and still not getting a single one of the lightsaber. At least at roughly $60 USD people that got them from the packs can't complain that everyone else can now get a direct purchase of it for next to no cost in comparison.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited March 2017
    Morpayne said:
    They are not rare because of a limited amount , they are rare in game because there are not enough people dumb enough to waste 60$ on a lightsabre skin. EA definately doesn't want to keep them rare, they hope everyone and their aunt buys one.

You do realise that when you are walking around with one, many players think you are a sad person for buying one, right? 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited March 2017
    Morpayne said:
    They are not rare because of a limited amount , they are rare in game because there are not enough people dumb enough to waste 60$ on a lightsabre skin. EA definately doesn't want to keep them rare, they hope everyone and their aunt buys one.

You do realise that when you are walking around with one, many players think you are a sad person for buying one, right? 
    Why would people think you are sad person if you bought it off the GTN with in game currency?  I think you missed the part that you don't have to spend $ to buy one.  Don't get me wrong.  $60 for this lightsaber is ridiculous.  But getting one isn't exclusive to buying it with real life money.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Morpayne said:

Why would people think you are sad person if you bought it off the GTN with in game currency?  I think you missed the part that you don't have to spend $ to buy one.  Don't get me wrong.  $60 for this lightsaber is ridiculous.  But getting one isn't exclusive to buying it with real life money.
    That will be a ridiculous amount of credits, which makes it just a little less sad for a tiny shiny hilt.
    Still, someone else seeing you with it (if they even notice it lol), could still wonder if you were someone actually buying it from the store :p

Now let's wait for the people actually defending this kind of cash shop shit, by saying that they support the game by doing this. (not realising that the only thing they are telling EA, is that they like to buy ridiculously overpriced bling from the shop).
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Morpayne said:

Well you cant buy it without somebody spending real money. The fact that said person can post auction of it doesnt change the fact that it is ONLY obtainable with real money before it is even in game. So, every single one in game was payed with real money. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2017
    aliven said:
    Well you cant buy it without somebody spending real money. The fact that said person can post auction of it doesnt change the fact that it is ONLY obtainable with real money before it is even in game. So, every single one in game was payed with real money. 
    Surprise - someone has to spend money on the game to keep it running.

Do you complain it does not have to be you...?
  • SpinalcoreSpinalcore Member UncommonPosts: 9
    aliven said:
    Not every single one of the Unstable Arbritors hilts in the game was acquired via a real money purchase. One of my friends and I both got ours for "free" just by progressing through the Dark vs Light event and opening our reward packs. We just couldn't sell them from those packs due to the bind on acquire nature of the reward packs. I am sure there were many other people that got theirs the same way.
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I will never understand why people care so much about what other people spend their money on or in this case virtual currency you get by subbing to the game.  I'm sure there is plenty some of you spend your money on that a lot of people would find is ridiculous.   Very few people woukd actually care and even fewer would cry about it like some are on here.  
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited March 2017
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:
    To be fair this is more a sink for the C-Coin hoarders than for anyone to actually buy with real money. 

Oh and for the people who have everything... =P
    This.

As i wrote in the other same themed post many long time subscribers have thousands of CP and nothing to spend them on. Currently i have 14K CP points sitting around. Or had, since i acquired the saber in question. =)
    This seems to be a common theme in MMOs with cash shop currency. Isn't the real problem that they don't sell anything we actually want?
    Things like more game play would be welcome.

Too bad there is so many easier ways to make money.
    Yeah. In very convoluted and round about way I'm progressively becoming more appreciative of P2W items in cash shops because at least they have a game play purpose.

I just don't get these strutting peacock "gamers" who buy this sort of fluffy crap. I'm just old-fashioned like that.
    And many gamers  don't get these "old-fashioned" gamers that can't accept the genre has passed them by.  nobody really cares what these old-fashioned gamers  think  and definitely nobody need approval from them.