Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nintendo Awarded $12.76M in Copyright / Trademark Case - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Dragnelus said:
    Ahh its cause he sold flashcards for the 3ds

http://nu.nl/games/4522650/verkoper-van-ombouwapparaten-moet-nintendo-9-miljoen-euro-betalen.html

Just get them all, also sky3ds. I think you can play sun/moon on sky now.
    Wonder if that in any way influenced Nintendo's decision to not make games for the Switch transferable, so no sharing games with your friends etc. yet another consumer friendly decision by Nintendo. O.o
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

http://nu.nl/games/4522650/verkoper-van-ombouwapparaten-moet-nintendo-9-miljoen-euro-betalen.html

Wonder if that in any way influenced Nintendo's decision to not make games for the Switch transferable, so no sharing games with your friends etc. yet another consumer friendly decision by Nintendo. O.o
    I wouldn't blame Nintendo in that case but the 'consumers' that decided to steal their games. Where I come from those are simply called thieves and because of their behaviour regular people always get the short end of the stick. Weird to put that on Nintendo when they are trying to protect their property although it is a populair opinion I guess.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

I wouldn't blame Nintendo in that case but the 'consumers' that decided to steal their games. Where I come from those are simply called thieves and because of their behaviour regular people always get the short end of the stick. Weird to put that on Nintendo when they are trying to protect their property although it is a populair opinion I guess.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    We're talking about a company that resells the same games on each console they release.  How many times do you think you should need to buy Super Mario Bros. before you own the game?  You talk about protecting property; what your property that you purchased from them?

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for Nintendo.  I love their games but I greatly dislike their business practices.  
    I understand that, it can be infuriating. But it still doesn't give anyone the right to steal from them. And taking something from someone without paying the required sum of money is simply stealing.

Nintendo might have it all backwards but that doesn't make thievery acceptable or legal. You don't need to have sympathy for Nintendo, you just shouldn't steal, period. And when Nintendo takes countermeasures it is easy to say they are a bad company buy it would be more fair to look at the reasons why and blame those.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    If you were real fans of nintendo you would know nintendo is the most viciously litigious gaming company in the world.

They attack their fucking streamers bro. They shouldve seen this coming.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2017
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    We're talking about a company that resells the same games on each console they release.  How many times do you think you should need to buy Super Mario Bros. before you own the game?  You talk about protecting property; what your property that you purchased from them?

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for Nintendo.  I love their games but I greatly dislike their business practices.  
    I understand that, it can be infuriating. But it still doesn't give anyone the right to steal from them. And taking something from someone without paying the required sum of money is simply stealing.

Nintendo might have it all backwards but that doesn't make thievery acceptable or legal. You don't need to have sympathy for Nintendo, you just shouldn't steal, period. And when Nintendo takes countermeasures it is easy to say they are a bad company buy it would be more fair to look at the reasons why and blame those.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    While I agree that thievery isn't acceptable or legal, I think that downloading something you already purchased isn't illegal.  If I purchase Super Mario Bros. on the NES, I own that game and there should be no problem with me playing it on NES emulation at any time after that point.  However, Nintendo doesn't see it that way.  And that's why I maintain that they can suck it.  Until they recognize copyright law properly on both ends, I'll not judge anyone for raiding their properties.
    Precisely.  Game publishers lost any right they had to wax poetic about stealing from them the moment I had to agree to a ToS that basically says they can revoke my access to the product I paid them for at any time after purchase for any reason.

You wouldn't be too far off to say that the laws on this kind of thing were literally written by the producers without input from a consumer advocate.  Money talks, everyone knows that.  Everyone doesn't seem to realize that money also legislates.

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    While I agree that thievery isn't acceptable or legal, I think that downloading something you already purchased isn't illegal.  If I purchase Super Mario Bros. on the NES, I own that game and there should be no problem with me playing it on NES emulation at any time after that point.  However, Nintendo doesn't see it that way.  And that's why I maintain that they can suck it.  Until they recognize copyright law properly on both ends, I'll not judge anyone for raiding their properties.
    Precisely.  Game publishers lost any right they had to wax poetic about stealing from them the moment I had to agree to a ToS that basically says they can revoke my access to the product I paid them for at any time after purchase for any reason.

You wouldn't be too far off to say that the laws on this kind of thing were literally written by the producers without input from a consumer advocate.  Money talks, everyone knows that.  Everyone doesn't seem to realize that money also legislates.
    Except that they didn't lose any right, you just want them to, it is still stealing. In this specific case you bought Super Mario Bros for the NES, go grab your NES and play it then. By this logic I do not have to pay for half the games on GOG because I bought the original versions and should just be able to play them on different or upgraded platforms.

And standing up to the high and mighty companies because the rules are unfair? Sure, go ahead. But while you are dealing with semantics about ownership, consumer rights etc. they are dealing with the law. And how did that song go again? 'I fought the law, and the law won.' 

Tldr, your fight is justified, the means aren't.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Except that they didn't lose any right, you just want them to, it is still stealing. In this specific case you bought Super Mario Bros for the NES, go grab your NES and play it then. By this logic I do not have to pay for half the games on GOG because I bought the original versions and should just be able to play them on different or upgraded platforms.

And standing up to the high and mighty companies because the rules are unfair? Sure, go ahead. But while you are dealing with semantics about ownership, consumer rights etc. they are dealing with the law. And how did that song go again? 'I fought the law, and the law won.' 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    "By this logic I do not have to pay for half the games on GOG because I bought the original versions and should just be able to play them on different or upgraded platforms."

Yep.  You seem to understand the situation well.   Are you really so eager to re-purchase the same game you already own?  If so, Nintendo appreciates your attitude.  I hope enjoy buying the same games from them for the rest of your days.
    No no, I agree with you on the subject. But I do think it still isn't an excuse to pirate. I don't rebuy Nintendo games constantly but don't mind spending a tenner once every 10 to 15 years to play some of my favourite classics.

And if we were to take your logic a step further you could say Itunes should give tou the Beatles albums for free because you once bought them on vinyl, ereaders should give you the LOTR trilogy for free because you once bought the books and the Apocalypse Now bluray should be handed out freely because you once got the VHS version. It really doesn't work that way and Nintendo might be draconian and archaic in its ways, it is not illogical if you broaden the perspective a bit. Does it suck? Most definitely, but almost all branches of entertainment work this way and have so for quite some time, nothing strange or Nintendo specific.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited March 2017
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You buy a flash card, and with it you need to buy a micro sd to put the game on. Than at home you download the games you want (roms) put ut on your sd and put your sd in your flash and flash on your 3ds. If you dont got private header they can block your account, got it you can go online (header is needed for online) anyways buying a flash as a costumer you damn know that you gonna pirate/thievery. 

And its only 5 euro those mario bros games, like Nintendo can check who bought it as cartridge but you can download all new 3ds games.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    It's their right to protect their property.

At the same time it's my right to download and play ROMs. The European law clearly states it's legal to create or download copies of games you already own.

So.. a big middle finger to big N when they keep on trying to sell the same games over and over again.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2017
    I live in Europe too and damn right I should be able to sell my used games so shops rent them out here or even download and copy the games I own. I recycle games here a lot you can do that here as the rental games market is quite alive
    Chamber of Chains
    Dakeru said:

At the same time it's my right to download and play ROMs. The European law clearly states it's legal to create or download copies of games you already own.

So.. a big middle finger to big N when they keep on trying to sell the same games over and over again.
    Ofc its illegal lol. There is one condition, however. you have to make your copy "unusable". If he continued to use it," the Court explained, "he would infringe the copyright holder's exclusive right of reproduction of his computer program.

Kids want all for free :( 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    That only applies if you are trying to resell the licence not when you're using it yourself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-eu-rules-publishers-cannot-stop-you-reselling-your-downloaded-games

Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy - tangible or intangible - and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy. Therefore, even if the licence prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy."

There is one condition, however. If you resell a license to a game you have to make your copy "unusable at the time of resale". Now you will do that, won't you?

"If he continued to use it," the Court explained, "he would infringe the copyright holder's exclusive right of reproduction of his computer program. In contrast to the exclusive right of distribution, the exclusive right of reproduction is not exhausted by the first sale."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Dragnelus said:
    Dakeru said:

Ofc its illegal lol. There is one condition, however. you have to make your copy "unusable". If he continued to use it," the Court explained, "he would infringe the copyright holder's exclusive right of reproduction of his computer program.

absolutely, its about time people understood that just because you have bought something, it doesn't mean you can do what you like with it. :p
    Dakeru is right as long as he is using it for himself and not reselling the licence. Read the above text I included.

edited March 2017
    kitarad said:
    That only applies if you are trying to resell the licence not when you're using it yourself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-eu-rules-publishers-cannot-stop-you-reselling-your-downloaded-games

Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy - tangible or intangible - and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy. Therefore, even if the licence prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy."

There is one condition, however. If you resell a license to a game you have to make your copy "unusable at the time of resale". Now you will do that, won't you?

"If he continued to use it," the Court explained, "he would infringe the copyright holder's exclusive right of reproduction of his computer program. In contrast to the exclusive right of distribution, the exclusive right of reproduction is not exhausted by the first sale."

ik but hes saying for example, he got god of war 3 on ps3 so he own the copy and feels entitled to download and recreate a copy for the ps4. 

Edit: You can clearly tell, that most are upset cause they bought mario bros for the nes and want it for free on every other nintendo console. I also want it but they dont do it, and it doesnt make downloading a mario bros rom on your 3ds legal but also low chance you get caught.

Ahh a different platform

Rather confused now how my statement turned into a ps3 / ps4 thing.
    But well...
    Dragnelus said:

Cheap trolling attempt?
    Harbinger of Fools
    Torval said:
    Dakeru said:
    But well...
    Dragnelus said:
    Cheap trolling attempt?
    I wouldn't say you're trolling so much as being willfully obtuse.
    Maybe I am willfully obtuse.

That happens when someone quotes me, starts by saying I am wrong and then creates a whole different scenario from what I actually said to prove their point.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited March 2017
    Torval said:
    Dakeru said:
    Torval said:
    Dakeru said:
    But well...
    Dragnelus said:
    Cheap trolling attempt?
    I wouldn't say you're trolling so much as being willfully obtuse.
    Maybe I am willfully obtuse.

That happens when someone quotes me, starts by saying I am wrong and then creates a whole different scenario from what I actually said to prove their point.
    Come on dude. The whole middle finger post. It isn't hard to get roms for your game online. This dude provided an entirely new level of crazy. His app provided access directly to Nintendo's CDN servers, he hacked the entity ID of the app, and then made money off of it.

This was totally a thing to stick it to Nintendo and get stuff for free. Anyone who is worried about backing up their ROMs or playing through their EMU has already done so.
    Yeah and I had a clear statement about the illegal distribution of copies.
    It's in fact the first line I wrote.

PS: The middle finger was a reaction to @SedrynTyros linked content.
    Nintendo declares any kind of copy or rom to be illegal.

And I clearly state here that Nintendo isn't above the law as they seem to think.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Torval said:
    Being heavily litigious doesn't equate to positioning oneself above the law. Did you even think that through?
    When Nintendo states that getting any kind of rom is illegal as shown on the video, then their statement is directly going against local law.

And that's where I show them the middle finger.

Other than that I am done now. I am glad they stomped that leech earning money on their IP but I have no intention on taking this witch hunt any further with you guys.
    You feel Nintendo is right and all kinds of roms are illegal? Ok, good for you.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Phry said:
    Dragnelus said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And I'm saying, generally, that the means aren't justified because of the way these "rights" are legislated, at least in my country. That's because what means are and aren't justified is largely decided by producers, not consumers.