Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR introduces a $60 Lightsaber to Cartel Market

GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
Link to announcement: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=916455

In short, a very rare item, that previously could drop from one of Cartel Packs, can be bought for next week directly from Cartel Market for 7600 Cartel Coins (5500CC pack costs $39.99 and 2400CC pack costs $19.99 - 60$ in total, with 300 CC leftover).

Seems they are testing how far they can go with prices, they even openly acknowledge the price is high and its aimed at whales: "It’s a lot of Cartel Coins, but this sale is directed at those players who have the resources to acquire the item.".

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Is this a cosmetic/skin, or an actual stat/damage item?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Forgrimm said:
    I'm pretty sure the way weapons work in SWTOR, it's just a skin, that you put mods into to give it stats.
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Forgrimm said:
    cosmetic
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Aimed at whales ? Unlikely. Many long time subscribers sit on tons of CP without anything worth to spend them on. I am one of them currently hoarding about 14K CP. And i will acquire this nice looking saber. B)
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    IMO this is better than making people spend ungodly amounts of money/CC on RDM boxes trying to get rare items.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Shodanas said:
    Aimed at whales ? Unlikely. Many long time subscribers sit on tons of CP without anything worth to spend them on. I am one of them currently hoarding about 14K CP. And i will acquire this nice looking saber. B)
    True, i get 600 cartel coins a month, i rarely use them, i think i am sitting on about 4000 of them in my account at the moment O.o
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    While I can appreciate we can now buy the item directly instead of relying on gambling boxes, the pricing itself is what makes me pause, if we go only by those subscription CC grants, at 600 per month thats little over 1 year of subscription worth in coins for one item.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited March 2017
    the thing that doesnt make sense is that they basically made it more expensive to also buy with credits but the price seems to be the same if say now its value is 7600cc.

if you can say every 100 cc is = to 1 million credits then any weapon of similar effect would be around 76 million.

yet they sell for around 17 million to now almost 30 million jump in price. Still under valued.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

yet they sell for around 17 million to now almost 30 million jump in price. Still under valued.
    I got mine for 12 Million credits months ago.

Unfortunately you can't hear weapon sound effects when you preview the item in game, as this has to be one of the worst sounding lightsabers in the game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Never mind the excuses to warrant the price,just simply look at the price,it is a big time ripoff.
    A full quality game that takes 3-5 years to make with 100+ employees costs 60 bucks,a virtual item than takes one person less than a day to make is something that should simply be earned in game and carry ZERO real life value.

Every time i see or hear of cash shops,it is two thumbs down to that developer.Imo if you need to supplement our game by selling to suckers,your game is not good enough,fix your game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    How can a lightsaber have a $60 skin? Is it chroma?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I am sure people have spent way more then $60 to get this lightsaber in those stupid cartel packs. Glad I have the single and double already, but in the long run if you truly want one, $60 is probably a bargain unfortunately. Glad I don't play this game at the moment, can spend a fortune trying to get all the stupid cosmetic items they throw at you.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Greme said:
    While I can appreciate we can now buy the item directly instead of relying on gambling boxes, the pricing itself is what makes me pause, if we go only by those subscription CC grants, at 600 per month thats little over 1 year of subscription worth in coins for one item.
    Don't forget that at a certain point you have EVERYTHING YOU WANT from the cartel market and then the CC are stocking up. Before I sold my LotRo lifetime account, I had over 16K TP and there was totally nothing I wanted/needed from the cash shop anymore. I think BioWare is doing a good thing with this skin on the cartel market to give those long-term subscribers (and the few whales) something special to show off with.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    if this lightsaber can clean my car and house then i'd pay 100!
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Forgrimm said:
    The fact that you had to ask this really says a lot, in and of itself.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Kyarra said:
    I am sure people have spent way more then $60 to get this lightsaber in those stupid cartel packs. 
    exactly! i'm sure some have spent far more than that trying to get a rare item. in fact, it was SWTOR that created my hatred for RDM scam boxes.