Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shards Online Changes Name to Legends of Aria - Shards Online - MMORPG.com

GFullsGFulls Member Posts: 478
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageShards Online Changes Name to Legends of Aria - Shards Online - MMORPG.com

Shards Online News - Shards Online has renamed itself into Legends of Aria, a full fledged MMORPG!The game now offers much more space for housing to its players across multiple servers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    "Legends of Aria is a full-fledged MMORPG" great to hear that. Much better than "Small server game #3751"
    Ice-Queen
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Why rename the game? Couldn't they have kept the original name and still made the same changes?
    --------------------------------------------
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Don't care about the name change, though it seems fine, but I love the idea of everyone on one server....keep all the crafter's and pvpers together, with good rule sets, makes for a great economy.

Probably will buy to scratch the UO itch....
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    One server? I thought PVE types could have their own server.
    Ice-Queen
    edited March 2017
    flizzer said:
    One server? I thought PVE types could have their own server.
    Not sure what their plans were before, but this is the current plan since the change:

Legends of Aria will be a full-loot PVP enabled game, but with safe havens under guard protection for fans of PVE. This way we keep everyone on one server, rather than fragment the player base. There's a whole crime and punishment system in place, which we'll be detailing closer to launch.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Don't care about the name change, though it seems fine, but I love the idea of everyone on one server....keep all the crafter's and pvpers together, with good rule sets, makes for a great economy.

Kind of funny, you put crafters and pvpers on the same server, soon no crafters.
    Ice-Queen
    Why rename the game? Couldn't they have kept the original name and still made the same changes?
    The old name wouldn't make much sense now after the change, since there are no longer separate shards with different rulesets.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Ozmodan said:

Kind of funny, you put crafters and pvpers on the same server, soon no crafters.

That's not how things work. You don't have crafters, in the right system, means you don't have the gear to PvP.
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    edited March 2017
    Such a bad name though. Sounds like a generic far-eastern clonepark MMO.

beLIEve

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    There are large defined safe zones on the official servers and then other areas where there are static guard towers so this isn't the typical total gank-fest. Or at least it sounds like it has a chance for some co-existence.

I hope they let me give out some trial keys to friends.  I haven't played much because my friends don't want to plunk down $40 to try it.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    This game is pretty much lost in the shuffle anyway isnt it?
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Dang! I was all ready to plunk my cash down until that last bit... "will be a full-loot PVP enabled game".

Even UO came to the realization that no crime and punishment system was enough to keep gankers under control.

Fobbing those of us off just because we don't like pvp doesn't mean we don't want to be able to travel/explore the world with all the inherent dangers that the environment holds. I hope they add a PVE server.
    Ice-Queen
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

DAS1337 said:

Ozmodan said:

That's not how things work. You don't have crafters, in the right system, means you don't have the gear to PvP.

mmm.......maybe the cash shop will have the gear after the crafters say bugger this for a lark.
  • RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Cool. A bigger map, more to explore. I was going to wait on this one, but may pick up after steam release.

Redsalt... the other salt.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited March 2017
    From a unique game design with a name that summed up what it was about to another run-of-the-mill MMO with a generic name.

Wait, I think I misunderstood.  Are they still allowing player-run shards, just adding a persistent world official server to the mix?
    Ice-Queen
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    From a unique game design with a name that summed up what it was about to another run-of-the-mill MMO with a generic name.

Wait, I think I misunderstood.  Are they still allowing player-run shards, just adding a persistent world official server to the mix?
    Yes.  And the player shards can now be much,much larger

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited March 2017
    Ohhhh, good news then!  My mistake.

Generic name, though.
    Post edited by MightyUnclean on
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    It will still leave a smaller customer base, not everyone will want to create their own shard, or know anyone well enough to want to join a private one for the same reason many don't like playing on free servers(no guarantee the server will last, let alone giving up your info to a stranger).
    Ice-Queen
  • TophetTophet Member UncommonPosts: 7
    edited March 2017
    I really don't like the name. This "Legends" tagline is way over used. Just call it "Aria" there's nothing wrong with that. I'm really glad they chose to go with a mega server, but I wonder if they realize that they're directly competing with Albion Online now. Or "Shards of Aria", I wonder if they have anyone on their staff with a marketing degree.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would bet some kind of legal dealings,like owing money and such.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Forgrimm said:
    The old name wouldn't make much sense now after the change, since there are no longer separate shards with different rulesets.
    There will still be private servers. Expect pve only servers.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Ozmodan said:

That's... not reality at all.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Shards was such a better name. Catchy, and any game with a generic fantasy vowel based game is such a turn off...
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Aeolyn said:
    It will still leave a smaller customer base, not everyone will want to create their own shard, or know anyone well enough to want to join a private one for the same reason many don't like playing on free servers(no guarantee the server will last, let alone giving up your info to a stranger).
    Yeah, the player base will be somewhat segmented, but think of the potential upside.  Multiple different flavors of the game available to suit different tastes.  And players who run their own servers could potentially come with ideas that are good enough to be incorporated into the core game.  I think it's going to be pretty sweet.  I'm glad I backed this one.
    Back when this was announced, i was sceptical of this having much of a coherent population. Making the "Official" server full loot..kind of a bad call i think. 

But we will see. I just do not see much of a chance for this game to be much of anything.  Hard to keep people interested and going when the whole idea is to divide everyone up from the get go. 
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    OMG, this is the 2nd best news today after the Barcelona 6-1 PSG game ( sorry PSG fans ),

but this is what a lot of community ever wanted, to ditch the small server and just make it into 1 massive server, omg suddenly Shards ( or Legends of Aria ) become so worth again to look forward to!

So What Now?