Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Offers Fans a Platinum Light Saber for About $60 - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.co

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars Offers Fans a Platinum Light Saber for About $60 - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic News - Star Wars: The Old Republic is offering a special light saber to players at the cost of 7600 Cartel Coins for this week only. Running from 3/7 to 3/14 the platinum items is geared towards players who can afford it according to EA.

Read the full story here

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ganoesz12ganoesz12 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    That is freaking ridiculous. I really love the game's storytelling, but good lord these folks are some money grubbing a-holes.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    To be fair this is more a sink for the C-Coin hoarders than for anyone to actually buy with real money. 

Oh and for the people who have everything... =P

This have been a good conversation

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I have tonnes of that credits or whatever they hand out every month for subbing what would I do with it may be buy this sword if I play. Husband hardly plays but both accounts still up even though I am subbed to Dark Age of Camelot now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Now we buy swords for the same price as we buy whole games.

lol is all that comes to mind.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Stories like this make me so glad I've left this game behind.
    --------------------------------------------
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    tawess said:
    To be fair this is more a sink for the C-Coin hoarders than for anyone to actually buy with real money. 

This.

As i wrote in the other same themed post many long time subscribers have thousands of CP and nothing to spend them on. Currently i have 14K CP points sitting around. Or had, since i acquired the saber in question. =)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    It's always fun to watch people get their tighties in a twist. This thread delivers!
    Ah, so we know what you spent your accumulated CPs on. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I'm pissed because through buying packs over the last year I have probably wasted $100 or more hoping to score one of those sabers. With no luck. If I had known I would never get one via a pack and I could buy one for a fixed price, I would have had it already and saved some money.
  • RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    The color doesn't look platinum...it looks like a reg blue saber >.>  just sayin

Kick to the Face.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It's only cosmetic. I don't personally see anything wrong with it. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:

This.

As i wrote in the other same themed post many long time subscribers have thousands of CP and nothing to spend them on. Currently i have 14K CP points sitting around. Or had, since i acquired the saber in question. =)
    This seems to be a common theme in MMOs with cash shop currency. Isn't the real problem that they don't sell anything we actually want?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If you believe that something that is barely visible in your hand, in a video game, is worth $60 then feel free to buy it.  BUT...  keep in mind that things like this are used to gauge the market and find out what people are willing to spend.  If you buy this, don't complain when later on the price of other things in the store goes up.

Remember when ToR introduced the collectors edition for $150 and people were outraged?  Now $150 is totally normal for collector versions.

Remember when Blizzard introduced the first $25 mount and people were outraged?  Now a $25 mount is normal price.

These things are all designed to test the market.  If enough suckers buy it, BOOM! it becomes the new norm and we start the whole process again when the dust has settled. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

I'm hoping for Funcom to offer a Platinum Long Dong for Conan Exiles

Phallus size means everything.

No moralistic busybody'ing here.  

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Great thing about SWTOR's cash shop is that everything can be re-sold on the GTN for in game currency.

So if there's something you like in the cash shop you can get it by just playing the game.

Nothing's bind on acquire.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:

This.

This seems to be a common theme in MMOs with cash shop currency. Isn't the real problem that they don't sell anything we actually want?
    My main problem with MMOs with aggressive cash shops is I don't like their game to play in the first place.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:

This.

Things like more game play would be welcome.

Too bad there is so many easier ways to make money.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i love buying gear instead of earning it. if i still played, then i would get it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Paying $60 for a vanity item isn't that much compared to what some other games charge,  a 5 or 10 thousand dollar pledge is starting to become commonplace. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:

This.

Yeah. In very convoluted and round about way I'm progressively becoming more appreciative of P2W items in cash shops because at least they have a game play purpose.

I just don't get these strutting peacock "gamers" who buy this sort of fluffy crap. I'm just old-fashioned like that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited March 2017

Paying $60 for a vanity item isn't that much compared to what some other games charge,  a 5 or 10 thousand dollar pledge is starting to become commonplace. 

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I for one have always been against selling anything that gives someone a edge in a game via their pocketbook instead of time played or skill. I have always grinded my items out in any game I have player instead of opening a wallet to simply buy a item that would make me good or have more enjoyment ingame.

But look at it this way, the game developers will always make things like this available to buying with real money as long as their is a market. In one hand. I can see why they do it: It makes money...And that is the real reason anyone makes a game..to make that almighty dollar. But in the other hand, giving super good items that give you a boost to where you are on my level by simply opening a wallet simply grinds my gears. This is why i have shifted away from more MMO's. Let them milk the players who have the income to buy their way to greatness. I will simply play my games that have no cash shops or they have cash shops and the only items are ones where it is purely cosmetic.

TL:DR

Cash shops can be bad mkay.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:

This.

Yeah. In very convoluted and round about way I'm progressively becoming more appreciative of P2W items in cash shops because at least they have a game play purpose.

I just don't get these strutting peacock "gamers" who buy this sort of fluffy crap. I'm just old-fashioned like that.
    A gaming hobby or past-time is a lot cheaper, at least for me, than say travel, cars and car modding, clothes, and collecting.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:
    tawess said:

This.

A gaming hobby or past-time is a lot cheaper, at least for me, than say travel, cars and car modding, clothes, and collecting.
    Yeah? IDK what that has to do with what you do with the hobby though. For me the hobby is about playing games worth playing because of their ... umm... game play. I pay full price for those and yes, relative to many other hobbies it's very cheap.

Dressing up Ken and Barbie is a different hobby that I'm just not into though. I'd play Second Life if that were my thing.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I lost £150 on the collectors edition, but have kept going back when a nice chunk of content awaited me and the game has been installed on my system ever since launch, after seeing these story's to day is what really broke it for me and I have just uninstalled it for good and cancelled my pre-order for mass effect, I'm done with bioware the developer I use to love.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• MorpayneMorpayne Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited March 2017
    You can make 60 dollars working half the day at McDonalds or mowing 2 lawns. Stop crying about the price, they wanna keep it somewhat rare.