Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Without Women - Your Day May Be a Bit Quieter Today - General News

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Aztok said:
    So just because they are female they can do whatever the hell they want to? i hope they get fired and become homeless and then tell me how fair life is.
    ermyeahhhhhhh that's a bit intense.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Sovrath said:
    Aztok said:
    So just because they are female they can do whatever the hell they want to? i hope they get fired and become homeless and then tell me how fair life is.
    ermyeahhhhhhh that's a bit intense.
    too intense and short sighted.  How would we pay for all those homeless women.  I need my lady to bring home some cash!!!!

I self identify as a monkey.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:
    There's plenty of men acting like females on video games you wont notice.

But in all seriousness. Women are very important and I'm glad they got equal rights. Problem is now men are being discriminated against in the workforce as a result. But thats for another time and day.

Umm women dont have equal rights, not even close.

Men dont either, at least not all men.

Inequality and discrimination happens to almost everyone, however some especially in specific parts of the world are FAR worse off.

But saying that women having equal rights is just painfully wrong - unless you are ignoring large parts of the world.

Usually when people talk equal rights they mean the west. You can't do anything about everywhere else unless they have oil.

while west has equal rights - just how equal are they in reality?

I think we still have ways to go.
    I would rather hope for egalitarianism, but sadly we have a society that is fast becoming 'lop sided' with some being more equal than others, being a white male can be considered a disadvantage.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:

Oh really? Name a single right given by law in Canada or the USA that women don't have.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Phry said:

DMKano said:

Aori said:

DMKano said:

filmoret said:

There's plenty of men acting like females on video games you wont notice.

But in all seriousness. Women are very important and I'm glad they got equal rights. Problem is now men are being discriminated against in the workforce as a result. But thats for another time and day.

Umm women dont have equal rights, not even close.

Men dont either, at least not all men.

Inequality and discrimination happens to almost everyone, however some especially in specific parts of the world are FAR worse off.

But saying that women having equal rights is just painfully wrong - unless you are ignoring large parts of the world.

Usually when people talk equal rights they mean the west. You can't do anything about everywhere else unless they have oil.

I would rather hope for egalitarianism, but sadly we have a society that is fast becoming 'lop sided' with some being more equal than others, being a white male can be considered a disadvantage.

We're a bit of a way off from white men being at a disadvantage. And by a bit, I mean we're not even close. Now, if you want to say that educational and economic disparity can put a white male at a disadvantage, then yes, wealth inequality is absolutely a huge problem, but it's definitely not because you're a white man.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    edited March 2017
    I can't say the same for everywhere....
    Yet my immediate superior in my office is a woman
    The company is owned by a woman.
    They are openly mocking the "lack of equal rights for women in America". They are all at work today. There are no scheduled "stand-ins".
    Just another day in our office.

We all value and respect each other equally here.
    Nilden said:
    DMKano said:

Oh really? Name a single right given by law in Canada or the USA that women don't have.
    I don't think he's talking about "law" but the reality of the situation.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Grakulen said:
    Yeah that was pretty much what I was thinking about.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Grakulen said:
    And for what it's worth, Suzie and I are equally paid. Thanks @admin and @Meddle

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• G4NK3DG4NK3D Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited March 2017
    If we did a day without men it would have the same outcome, our contributions matter too. Sorry but I really don't see the point in such things.  Why can't people just accept being equally as important and stop trying to prove themselves....?  My wife isn't taking any time out today, we have kids, which means neither of us is going to take a day off of work just to prove some point that anyone with common sense can already see. This is in no way meant to be rude, it's just my point of view on the subject.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Damn there is a day with out women, wish I could have that day. 
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I came here to read homophobic posts. I'm disappointed :c 
    edited March 2017
    Nilden said:
    I posted that link as a simple answer to an overly complex question. Posting one video from a vapid teen on youtube doesn't dismiss the problem that discrimination exists.

Have you heard of second generation gender bias? 

Are you aware how unequal child care leave policies can force mothers to choose between their career or children and expect fathers to be the earner while the mother stays home on leave with a kid. The father may want to stay home and the mother go back to work but they can't because of the unbalanced leave policies. There is still "legal" issues out there. It's not all malicious either. Some of it just "is" and it slowly being corrected but work still needs to be done.

You should also ask.

Why do men and women work different jobs?

Why do they work different hours?
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639

Grakulen said:

From the second sentence.....multiple studies find that pay rates between males and females varied by 5–6.6% or, females earning 94 cents to every dollar earned by their male counterparts.

The 70 cents on the dollar nonsense is silly. They factor in women who choose to stay home and raise a family into it by giving them an annual salary of 0$ thus driving down the average wage for women overall.

Women are incredible and supremely important but modern feminism has been corrupted by ultra left wing SJW's that are actively looking to be in a constant state of outrage.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited March 2017
    I earn more than my boyfriend. It's what you study for people. All dentists charge similar, regardless of gender. Same for surgeons. If most women search for jobs that pay for qualification and not good looks, we wouldn't be here. In this day and age there are LOADS of corporations that pay based on qualification. 

Of course you don't have to be passive about it either. I know it's hard for most women to make demands, it's not in our nature I guess, but it's the world we live in. If you don't find for something, you likely won't get it.

If we ever marry and have children, probably he'll be the one staying home. 
    I'm not trying to beat anyone over the head about it. Just don't depend on memes and 15 second youtube clips for your info. Heck don't depend on wikis either. Make sure to dive into the attributions. 
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    If men took a day off the world would burn, men don't even have that luxury.  Is that what they are trying to bring attention to?  This little stunt seems counterintuitive for women
  • joxxer22joxxer22 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    One dollar equals one dollar. If a person can make me more money than another one they get the job. And if both people are smart they don't look between the legs to see what sex is there. Inequality in a stupid persons business still exist. Who gives a dam for that business will be gone soon.  For many it seems they still wish, by choice, to live in the past. There will always be ignorance in the world but lets just expect it to become obsolete and enjoy each day. This debate has been over for the educated "Man" for fifty years now.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2017
    Nilden said:
    DMKano said:

The right to Saturday morning tee times on most US golf courses. ;)

Guess that's not a law though, but it is a reality.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Grakulen said:
    If you're trying to say we're inequal, the first paragraph does a pretty good job of saying otherwise. At best it's an issue that's heavily debated and not at all agreed upon. At worst (for your inequality argument), there's little to no inequality at all.

Here's that paragraph:

The average woman's unadjusted annual salary has been cited as 78%[2] to 82%[3] of that of the average man's. However, after adjusting for choices made by male and female workers in college major, occupation, working hours, and parental leave, multiple studies find that pay rates between males and females varied by 5–6.6% or, females earning 94 cents to every dollar earned by their male counterparts. The remaining 6% of the gap has been speculated to originate from deficiency in salary negotiation skills and gender discrimination.

As a woman, I believe this is the most likely scenario. Looking at job choices women make (HR, marketing, nurses, teachers), the unwillingness to negotiate salaries, and hours worked (not tons of overtime), along with things like time off for children - I think that explains the inequality fairly well. How many women are doctors, lawyers, engineers, bankers? Not many. Those careers require a lot of work and education, and they payoff big league for a reason. My dad and brother are in those careers (well my Dad is retired) and they work absolutely insane hours with lots of stress. I remember growing up as a kid with a father that routinely left the house early enough to be at work by 7 or 7:30 am, and wasn't home until 6 or 7 at night. His work hours only got better once he earned partnership and I was a teenager. Despite living close to my brother and being quite close friends, I never see him because of his work hours. Often not even on holidays or birthdays. I see his wife a lot more. I don't think a lot of people want that. And attorneys? I work at a massive law firm - yes with plenty of women - and the hours and stress these people work is insane. It feels like some of these attorneys basically just live here. They arrive before I do and stay much later than I do. I've heard phone conversations where their wives are begging them to come home and stop working.

If you want to make the big bucks anywhere as a woman, you have that opportunity in the Western world and that's great. But you need to realize the men in those positions work really, really hard for it, so if you want to be their equal, you need to do so as well. And the many women in my company who are in top level management positions (one of which is the head of the company) have given up a lot for that - working insane hours, continuing to work at home late and on vacations, some being bicoastal, never seeing their children, requiring tough degrees and work history.  

I'll be the first to admit that as a woman, I know a lot aren't willing to do those things needed to get to that position. I wouldn't want to. Men and women are different and we can't change that. I want to celebrate our differences. We are biologically and psychologically different for a reason and I love those differences in both men and women. I don't want to be the same. I'll be the first to admit that when I have children one day, I'd love nothing more than to stay at home and take care of them. Sadly I'm not rich enough to do that, so I'll continue going to my job and doing well, with no desire to climb too high up the ladder, because the time I spend outside of work is far more important to me than the time I spend at work. I know some men feel the same way, but they are willing to work harder to earn that money for their family and that's a biological difference that makes many want to do that. Or they can choose to sta  home to take care of the kids, and I know someone who chose that. Many women are biologically programmed to want to be home with the family. That's not a bad thing. And those women who choose to work harder and earn more? Well they can do that in the Western world, so what are they fighting for?

We have equal rights already and I think we need to acknowledge the real feminists of the past that earned those rights for us. Not these left wing nut jobs that are fighting for all the wrong things these days. Let's instead celebrate that we are all wonderfully different and still enjoy the same rights, and let's make sure we don't lose sight of that, lest our society continues to change in radically frightening ways.

Meanwhile in protest of the idiocy of today, I'm going to celebrate all the things I love about men.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    It is sort of very much like a counter intuitive day.

By having a international women's day implies that they have been mistreated as inferiors and need to be recognized.SO rather than a day to recognize the opposite sex which we should already acknowledge,we should fix the stereotypes and quit treating women as inferior.

Creating a day like this does NOT fix the problem but seems to more or less try to hide the problem or give a fake impression the male race is noticing women as equals.It is like some males in government sat around and said "if we just give them a national day,we keep them quiet".

I would say on average once a week i still see numbers floating around that imply women are still treated as inferiors with less pay for similar jobs to simply NOT having the same authoritative jobs as the males.

Look no further than this site,predominantly run by males with every owner also being male,so yeah this site is very typical of the status quo in the world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Adding to the divide. As long as you address people by their sex, there will be sexism. As long as you address them by their race, there will be racism. And as long as you address them by their religion, there will be crusades and jihads fucking up the planet.

Whoever in my company thought he/she needed to take a day off to show me he/she is important either is an idiot or thinks I am an idiot. And will be fired. Any day, any gender.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Keep it civil, or the banhammer comes out.
    That you felt the need to warn about this in the very first reply is a blinking neon sign warning that the article shouldn't have existed.
This discussion has been closed.