Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

interesting....

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Murmaider said:
    I wonder how the PC population fares
    PC Population is extremely healthy at the moment.  Tons of people in every zone regardless of time of day.  Towns/main hubs are packed with players.  Its doing very well.
    However when i watch a streamer it is soloing or duoing,so what's the point of online if playing in an offline mode?What is the point of other players if duoing with your GF or wife?Just to see other virtual players running around,that would seem to me like a pretty shallow reason to play online,i prefer actual interaction with other players.
    #1 streamer 2 friends so no interaction with the server,more like coop.
    #2 streamer ...soloing
    #3 streamer ,again 2 friends.so just coop.

I know Angry Joe just played 99% the time with his wife...so coop.

So in reality it is a single player,coop at best game with a login screen.
    25 years ago we played coop and never needed a login screen,so once again confirms what i have been saying all along.Devs use the login and mmo to enforce cash shops and sub fees...MORE money than simply selling a single player game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    @Wizardry

I don't know what streamers you're watching but there is A LOT of group content. Try watching PVP or raid streams instead.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    New player in ESO here.  (played way back in beta but didn't buy/sub).  I see other players constantly in Wrothgar/Orsinium which is where I apparently ended up after the Harborage scenes.  Figured I would just do the orcs and go from there.  Grouping happens fairly organically for me, I run into other people doing delves or other content regularly.  It's neat to see another person doing whatever quest line and they have the same NPC with them, just that theirs (and mine to them) is called such and such guard.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2017
    Iselin said:
    baphamet said:
    Iselin said:

The fact is that we don't really know if there are more active players at the moment but for anyone playing it, it feels very much that way.... which in the end is all that really matters.
    this is all that needs to be said or known on the matter. now, if i could just log in.....
    Yeah. Pretty crappy server issues especially during the busiest part of the week. They're down again...
    Have you ever had any of those issues before you cancelled your sub?  B)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    baphamet said:
    Iselin said:

The fact is that we don't really know if there are more active players at the moment but for anyone playing it, it feels very much that way.... which in the end is all that really matters.
    this is all that needs to be said or known on the matter. now, if i could just log in.....
    Yeah. Pretty crappy server issues especially during the busiest part of the week. They're down again...
    Have you ever had any of those issues before you cancelled your sub?  B)
    Yes :) 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I play solo a lot but I often see other players assisting with content.  Anchors, public dungeons, zone bosses, makes it far from feeling like a solo game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Wizardry said:
    Murmaider said:
    PC Population is extremely healthy at the moment.  Tons of people in every zone regardless of time of day.  Towns/main hubs are packed with players.  Its doing very well.
    However when i watch a streamer it is soloing or duoing,so what's the point of online if playing in an offline mode?What is the point of other players if duoing with your GF or wife?Just to see other virtual players running around,that would seem to me like a pretty shallow reason to play online,i prefer actual interaction with other players.
    #2 streamer ...soloing

25 years ago we played coop and never needed a login screen,so once again confirms what i have been saying all along.Devs use the login and mmo to enforce cash shops and sub fees...MORE money than simply selling a single player game.

ESO has more than one dimension of content to it:
    1. Main Story(Base Game + DLCs), Maelstrom Arena, and side quests are all single player in that you don't need anyone else to complete them.
    2. Small group (2-5) ad-hoc content in the form of Daedric Anchors/Rifts, Group Bosses, Group Dungeons
    3. Organized small group (5) play in the form of End of Zone Dungeons(Queue), Undaunted Pledges
    4. Organized large group play in the form of Trials
    5. Open world PvP found in Cyrodiil and the Imperial City
    6. Large group Siege PvP found in Cyrodiil.

So yes, a Streamer can stick to 1 and 2 and present a single player or co-op experience.  That doesn't mean that's all the game has to offer content wise.

I believe that #1 exists in the form that it does only because it's The Elder Scrolls.  They wanted to appeal to fans of the franchise who were expecting a rich single player experience where they were made to feel like the hero of the story.  Of all of the MMOs I've played, only ESO has managed to create that sense of heroic immersion.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    it is VERY important that I see other REAL people... very important.

my shrink said it isn't that important so I got a new shrink... he is dumb.

Sz  :)
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Murmaider said:
    To be fair it's the only real full-featured mmo on consoles right now.  Everything is a a MOBA or mmo-lite.
    What about Final Fantasy and DCUO?
    Are they not full-featured?

Just curious as I haven't played them.

Oh! And there's Neverwinter on consoles as well.
    Nope because DCUO, lacks features it should have, makes you pay for constant respecs, and the housing system should have items you place inside to do this etc, Sony is like the light that went out on those Christmas tree lights...

And FFXIV, not everyone can obtain housing and its not done like ESO, so no its not a full featured game.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Renoaku said:
    Murmaider said:
    To be fair it's the only real full-featured mmo on consoles right now.  Everything is a a MOBA or mmo-lite.

Nope because DCUO, lacks features it should have, makes you pay for constant respecs, and the housing system should have items you place inside to do this etc, Sony is like the light that went out on those Christmas tree lights...

And FFXIV, not everyone can obtain housing and its not done like ESO, so no its not a full featured game.

What fan boy rubbish you speak lol, Ffxiv is a fully featured mmo with a different housing system, that's all it is. Because the housing system is different you come to the dumb conclusion that it's not a full blown mmo lol. 

On top of that it's more mmo than eso. 

Renoaku said:
    Murmaider said:

What fan boy rubbish you speak lol, Ffxiv is a fully featured mmo with a different housing system, that's all it is. Because the housing system is different you come to the dumb conclusion that it's not a full blown mmo lol. 

:gasp:  what committee decides which mmo is more mmo'y?

when I played ffxiv it was definitely more cartoony.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SaunZ said:
    Renoaku said:
    Murmaider said:

FFXIV:ARR is more cartoony than ESO?
    i don't think cartoony means what you think it means tbh.
    Though in the past people have labelled games such as BDO as being 'cartoony' so perhaps such confusions are to be expected.
    Phry said:
    SaunZ said:
    Renoaku said:
    Murmaider said:

FFXIV:ARR is more cartoony than ESO?
    i don't think cartoony means what you think it means tbh.
    Though in the past people have labelled games such as BDO as being 'cartoony' so perhaps such confusions are to be expected.

aww... don't get mad... Lalafell are cartoony

edited March 2017
    SaunZ said:
    Renoaku said:
    Murmaider said:

I do like FFXIV but their housing system is garbage, and the game could be designed better with the control interface, hopefully FF 15 will be better and more thought of by the developers... ESO besides Crow Fall and Albion are the only games out there worth playing at the moment... Unless you include MOBA's and games like Fractured Space, WOWS and such.......

When it comes down to it Japan, and Korea seem to be great at Cosplay, making character models & Fashion, even World Detail and graphics, but when it comes to actual code, and game design like housing, making things work, and game-play decisions this is where they fail.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

ESO for pc is always packed. No mater what area I'm in there are other players there. Can't say that about just about any other mmo out there right now

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I am on EU. I recently joined a newly formed guild and we reached 500 players within 2 months or so. 

Out of those 200 are players who play for 6+ months and the 300 are all new players who started playing after One tamriel/Homestead.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

I am on EU. I recently joined a newly formed guild and we reached 500 players within 2 months or so. 

Out of those 200 are players who play for 6+ months and the 300 are all new players who started playing after One tamriel/Homestead.
    Awesome I play ESO on and off ESO does need improvements to housing, and Crafting furniture, instead of making players have to have inventory space items should stack in a furniture inventory and be easier to place and such.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Wizardry said:
    Murmaider said:
    #2 streamer ...soloing

ESO is probably the most social game I have ever played. The fact that it can also provide a good single-player experience (for an mmo) is just a testimony to how the devs have succeeded in catering the game to many different playstayles.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Wizardry said:
    Murmaider said:

Many streamers I watch solo/duo as a courtesy to other's they may come in contact with. Good streamers have a lot of interaction with their audience. That requires, at times, to stop what you're doing and interact a bit more. It would be awfully rude for someone to expect the rest of the group to wait for the streamer to deal with different things that they may have to deal with.

I've been guild mates with some people who wanted to stream content, and getting things done took longer since they had this 4th wall aspect that would distract them from time to time.