Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the state of modern mmo's?

JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
So the open beta started today, which let me in for a look see. (Not paying for any founder pack with this lot).
And......is this it? - Not particularly with just this one example, as there are several others landed recently.

Kindergarten sound effects, pixel and eyeball burning skill animations, hopelessly poor dialogue.......

What's happened to the quality of new mmo's? Even the ones that went ftp - Aion, Tera, SWTOR - all these are head and shoulders above the latest offerings.

So, is this it? Is there no light on the horizon? An mmo with the overall qualities of WoW, FFXIV, ESO? Or do I just face the fact that the genre will never again see these effort levels put into an mmo for the western playerbase.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    JudgeUK said:
    So the open beta started today, which let me in for a look see. (Not paying for any founder pack with this lot).
    And......is this it? - Not particularly with just this one example, as there are several others landed recently.

Kindergarten sound effects, pixel and eyeball burning skill animations, hopelessly poor dialogue.......

What's happened to the quality of new mmo's? Even the ones that went ftp - Aion, Tera, SWTOR - all these are head and shoulders above the latest offerings.

So, is this it? Is there no light on the horizon? An mmo with the overall qualities of WoW, FFXIV, ESO? Or do I just face the fact that the genre will never again see these effort levels put into an mmo for the western playerbase.
    What about Black Desert or Archeage as far as quality? Or Elder Scrolls Online for a Western MMO?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    At this point korean developers have switched over to mostly develop mmoarpg and mobile multiplayer games instead of mmorpg so its going to be very dry until the crowdfunded mmorpg starts getting finished. The only korean mmorpg that haven't reached us yet is bless, and that one is dying in korea.

Right now we are experiencing an end of an era. In the long run it could be good since the themepark era had gone stale but its going to be fairly dry for a while.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    It seems when MMO's were more of a niche thing we had a lot more developers behind them that actually cared about their projects. At this point, I think they've become so popular that everyone has tried to cash in on them with greed as the motivating factor... so yes, unfortunately this is all we have now, a husk of what the genre once was now filled with cash shop p2w money grabs.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'm hoping for a rebirth of the genre....but I've been wrong before and we may have to put a nail in classic designs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Methinks that RO is a "shining" example of what the "F2P or Bust" mantra has done to this genre.  Could you even visualize a subscription game this bad?  I couldn't either, and yet subs and P2P games are "evil" because everyone "deserves" AAA-level content for zero dollars.  Except for the whales who support these cookie-cutter, terrible titles - cause, you know, opening up your wallet should absolutely make you "elite!"

But yeah, this sort of crap is what's been force-fed to us for several years now.  Nothing but F2P garbage, P2W grindfests, crowdfunded dreams that typically don't survive (but take people's money anyway!), and raiding made for children and Twitter addicts.  If you're not hip to this yet, OP, just take a look around.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NPCPakNPCPak Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I hope for some sort of change to come around, it doesn't have to be much at all. I build my own hype train for "Project W" and Bless despite both being Korean MMORPGs. I don't mind it really, as long as it can suck me in and keep me there for the years to come.
    (NPCPak) Nobukon
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The real key for a resurgence in the Western developed will come when the technology to craft a virtual world becomes easier, cheaper and more accessible. I have seen a couple of software technologies that are looking to make that happen.   
    Mean while in reality the technology has never been easier, cheaper or more accessible than it is today.

They don't want to make virtual worlds they want to make virtual shopping malls.

Cash shop cancer killed the MMORPG.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The future of mmos will be games like Sea Of Thieves, Destiny and The Division. 

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Kyleran said:
    I'm hoping for a rebirth of the genre....
    This is exactly the thing that I am hoping for as well.. I've said it before, and most likely will say it again, this is why I went back to school to learn how to make games.. One can only complain and grumble about the state of things for so long before doing something about it.. Or at least giving it a helluva good shot.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    What you see, is what you get.  The genre has been exhausted for decades now.  There's really not much that can change within it.  It's mainly defined by progression and stats, and to a lesser degree, by roleplaying.

It has the potential to evolve into another genre though.  It needs user-generated content creation, i.e. a true sandbox.  Think Minecraft, VR, Landmark, and No Man's Sky, rolled into one.  The virtual worlds, overall story and themes, progression & stats, and avatars, could be created by developers.  On the other side, players could have the ability to create their own events and sub-communities within the world, as well as their own armor designs, weapon designs, mounts, etc, which could also be sold to other players who lack creative skills.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited March 2017
    I just want to point out that this is a Chinese game so it's design is fairly standard for Chinese games. In fact I'd say it's more polished and closer to AAA than other Chinese MMO's. We actually don't get a lot of Chinese imports over here. So in that context I'd say it's not surprising. I wouldn't have expected something amazing anyway. If it's in any way fun I'd say that's a win. They're not exactly known for producing high quality, original products of any kind over there. :P
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Nilden said:

They don't want to make virtual worlds they want to make virtual shopping malls.

Players who keep shopping in said malls are the cancer. Can't blame companies for going where the money is.

Let's place blame where it belongs.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    When you compare the original "big three" MMO's, (UO, EQ and SWG) to what we have seen in recent years, it is sad.  I can not talk about EQ as I skipped it but UO and SWG both had housing at the start.  They both had the ability to create a custom character and you could go anywhere and do what you wanted.  The monthly sub fee covered all aspects of the game and on holidays like Christmas, the dev team gave away things that players actually wanted.

Fast forward to today and we have gender-locked classes and housing is now a paid extra, if it is even an option.  Now a sub fee only covers half the games content and you need to use the cash shop to truly experience a game.  Holidays have crappy events that you have to work through in order to get cosmetic items that most players dont even want. 

They invented "dailies" to make up for lack of content and creativity.  Seriously, why pay to play a game where the content is to do the same thing over and over again each day?  I cant stand dailies!!! 

Another issue with MMO's today is the saturation of the market and the older gamers who have the money to spend on cash shops and have acquired a large library of games.  I have gamed so long, I have a lifetime sub to STO, TSW and LotRO and I have purchased the boxed copies of BDO and GW2 so in addition to all the free games out there, I have 5 games I can jump into whenever I want.  How can a new MMO keep my interest when I am so used to playing what I want, when I want to?

I think we are on the downhill slope of MMO's.  I think lobby games like Destiny and The Division are part of the future while mobile games are the other part.  I dont think MMO's are going away but I think there will be less of them coming out each year until we happen upon that one MMO that comes out and does what WoW did, makes a ton of money and shows people that MMO's can be successful if they have quality content. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Nilden said:

Players who keep shopping in said malls are the cancer. Can't blame companies for going where the money is.

this never gets said enough. a few people who i shall not name i follow on twitter huge eso fans i've lost track how many times i have seen them tweet each other and the eso account saying things like if you put this or that in the cash shop i would pay double or even triple........then i think i should totally just tweet them and say nicely "HEY YOU! ya you,because of you we cant have nice things!" lol
  • SerMedievalSerMedieval Member UncommonPosts: 99
    JudgeUK said:

Well, let's face it. A lot of the MMORPGs that have come out in the past few years have just been generic reskins imported from other countries. Not a lot of companies are persuaded to try and innovate it seems, and from a business standpoint it totally makes sense. 

But yeah, we have yet to have something new delivered to us that might reignite the genre. That's why I've just been going for sandboxes instead for about a year now, they aren't in a much better state at the moment but it definitely does feel like a new experience.

Might have something to hope for in 2017 if someone hits us with a surprise MMO though. Just maybe.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Camelot Unchained should be good, whenever it comes out.  Might not be for a bit though.  Other than that, yes this is the current state of modern MMOs.
  • RionRequielRionRequiel Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I can agree that RO isn't the most original thing in the world. But it's better than being disappointed by games that are excessively over-hyped to the ends of the earth only to be complete and total let-downs. I feel bad because this is the same thing I feel with Blade and Soul and other games. Are we sure games are getting worse or are we as gamers finally suffering a "Fatigue" of sorts? 

Have we been spoiled by newer games or have we been promised so much only to be let down so many times that we are now seeing everything as Boring, Bland, or a Rip-Off? 

If Revelation Online were the first MMORPG we were to ever play would we feel it's a decent game and look at older games as just watered down versions without flying? 

Perhaps one reason we hate it is because of Netease and My.com in specific due to cash-grabbing ways and what many perceive as P2W instead of decent marketing. 

What if in the end, the only ones we truly have to blame for the 'Decline in Quality Games' are ourselves? We are the main market, we are the supporters, the game companies design games to fit what gamers want. Is it possible that we are the ones who have brought the MMORPG Genre to it's knees like this? If so then how do we bring it to a higher and more glorious standard?
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I know many people werent happy with Warhammer, Lotro and AOC when they came out.  But man what would i give to have those types of MMOs launching today with a few small updates and of course updated graphics.   WOW was still in its prime back then too.  Now its nothing but low budget MMOs in the future.  As the saying goes, sometimes you dont know what you got until its gone.  
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    pantaro said:
    Nilden said:

this never gets said enough. a few people who i shall not name i follow on twitter huge eso fans i've lost track how many times i have seen them tweet each other and the eso account saying things like if you put this or that in the cash shop i would pay double or even triple........then i think i should totally just tweet them and say nicely "HEY YOU! ya you,because of you we cant have nice things!" lol
    Yup and thats like blaming the Mexicans for all the lost jobs in the US.

The real fact is, all the people that keep spouting this crap are the people who won't even support AAA sub MMO's, because they don't meet their " standards".   Yea, you expect companies to spend many millions of dollars just to have you people show up on forums and try to convince everyone not to play them.

It's a two way street boys, and nobody rides for free.   By shitting on every legit developer that tries to make something decent, you only give ammunition to the casual side, that doesn't really care if they spend a few bucks to have fun.

Sorry, but it sucks to be you.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nilden said:
    The real key for a resurgence in the Western developed will come when the technology to craft a virtual world becomes easier, cheaper and more accessible. I have seen a couple of software technologies that are looking to make that happen.   
    Mean while in reality the technology has never been easier, cheaper or more accessible than it is today.

Not really true. Coding will become a thing of the past is what I meant
    We'll be able to "think" our games into creation? Sign me up. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pjw345pjw345 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I spent most of last night pressing 'f' then spacebar, run somewhere 'f','f','f',spacebar, got to about lvl 20 and I won't be logging in tonight!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Nilden said:

Well, while I'm never to tell someone what they can and cannot buy (heck I know people who would tell you that you are pissing your money away buying video games/hardware) you can go back further to the first people who started buying virtual assets.

They essentially showed game companies that not only were people willing to buy game assets but they were willing to do so against the game rules. So then game companies started spending time and money in an uphill battle suddenly realizing that if people were willing to spend their money on game assets then why shouldn't the creators of the game actually benefit?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo