Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what sort of numbers we talking about in terms of Large scale PvP?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
what sort of numbers we talking about in terms of Large scale PvP?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Well considering the game is a PvP mmo no matter how the devs try to promote pve to cash in there will be constant PvP. Given this I would say it's going to have pretty large PvP. 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Doesn't matter how large they say it will be it will always be smaller. Usually how it goes anyways. There's not only the issue of rendering hundreds of players with decent graphics at acceptable framerates on the client but also the bandwidth limitations of the servers.

Haven't seen a game that consistently supports over 100 players on a battlefield. Doubt this will be different.
  • farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    edited March 2017
    jusomdude said:

Haven't seen a game that consistently supports over 100 players on a battlefield. Doubt this will be different.
    Ryzom experienced 200 - 300  PvP over Outposts (in its heydays)  and  (with lower FPS) Darkfall Online  had also some massive Battles (500+).
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Got a $1000 pack for this game if development keeps going good will layaway another pack.
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    If I'm correct the devs were aiming at about 200 players per battle in the bigger ones. I doubt we'll get anything close to that with decent performances, but considering small (10v10) to medium (50v50) is already fun in CF imo, it's not a huge issue.

Once they bring back structure destruction and siege weapons, as well as adding all the pets, mounts, thralls, caravans, etc. a 50v50 battle will feel massive enough I bet.

Some recent small scale pvp footage:

JamesGoblin
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    If I'm correct the devs were aiming at about 200 players per battle in the bigger ones. I doubt we'll get anything close to that with decent performances, but considering small (10v10) to medium (50v50) is already fun in CF imo, it's not a huge issue.
    I think that's a pretty reasonable estimate.  I don't see them being able to get enough performance out of Unity modifications for "hundreds" of players and destruction, but 50v50 sounds plausible.  Personally, I think it's a shame that it probably won't go much above that, but I won't be at all surprised.

There's a reason CU built their own engine specially designed for large-scale battle.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Renoaku said:
    Got a $1000 pack for this game if development keeps going good will layaway another pack.
    Aw....say you didn't.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited March 2017
    Lokero said:
    I think that's a pretty reasonable estimate.  I don't see them being able to get enough performance out of Unity modifications for "hundreds" of players and destruction, but 50v50 sounds plausible.  Personally, I think it's a shame that it probably won't go much above that, but I won't be at all surprised.

There's a reason CU built their own engine specially designed for large-scale battle.
    Yea, CU engine should handle large battles with great performances. We'll see how far they can push it though, what they've tested so far with the bots is pretty different than in the  real game with real players. The drawback is that most of the 4 years of development were focused on this engine and now they've still got plenty of complex MMORPG systems to build (The Depths, mobile islands, underground bubbles, caravans, roads, crafting, balancing, etc.).
    JamesGoblin
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The current numbers on PvP seem fine, too much can be messy, action spots spread across are much  better.
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    jusomdude said:
    Doesn't matter how large they say it will be it will always be smaller. Usually how it goes anyways. There's not only the issue of rendering hundreds of players with decent graphics at acceptable framerates on the client but also the bandwidth limitations of the servers.

Camelot Unchained's custom engine does twice that at long view ranges too. Pretty neat tech. No idea if they will ever get to beta though
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Renoaku said:
    Reported
    francis_baud

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2017
    SirBalin said:
    Renoaku said:
    Reported
    Reported for buying a $1000 "Crow Fall" founders pack lol...

Well Albion online was a disappointment I managed to get banned from there in under 2 weeks lol...

Also what you up to lol been awhile since i've seen you still doing BDO?