Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social games you CANNOT solo?

InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
Is there any good, halfway modern (decent graphics and gameplay) that you cannot solo, and has a decent community? It seems this is a dying breed, but I really want to find a fun MMO I can make friends on and call my home. Nowadays, MMOs are soloable, and dont push for player interaction, turning the community further into social outcasts.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I'll be honest, I Can't think of a single one that is released, or in a playable state.  Pantheon is what you are looking for, but it's no where near playable atm.  The issue is that all games, other than little indie studios, are backed by suits with big money.  Those suits don't want to cater to a small niche player base who likes group based content.  They want the big fat pig that is the casual/solo crowd.

So until some tiny little indie game is successful at changing the dynamics, nothing will be any different in foreseeable future.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I assume you are talking about leveling up and not end game?  Most games have group content sporadically as you level.  Some games require it at certain points (the newest FF mmorpg for instance).

The issue is, in my opinion, people that like to group as they level for regular content are $%^$%^ slow.  Slow and weird.  And slow.  And even more slow.

If you want a game that is actually suited for grouping while leveling and is easy to get a group for most content (there is some solo content) would be DDO.  That is 11 years old though, but even I grouped for dungeons, and guilds are very social and the game pretty much forces you into a guild because of buffs and some mechanics.
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    blamo2000 said:
    I assume you are talking about leveling up and not end game?  Most games have group content sporadically as you level.  Some games require it at certain points (the newest FF mmorpg for instance).

The issue is, in my opinion, people that like to group as they level for regular content are $%^$%^ slow.  Slow and weird.  And slow.  And even more slow.

If you want a game that is actually suited for grouping while leveling and is easy to get a group for most content (there is some solo content) would be DDO.  That is 11 years old though, but even I grouped for dungeons, and guilds are very social and the game pretty much forces you into a guild because of buffs and some mechanics.
    Yea, I'm talking about throught the early and mid game, and not just end-game dungeon running. I just want a game that takes group cooperation rather than running thru a field launching miniature nukes at cows and imps to level up.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Eve is a grouped based game that starts you out in a corporation.  Parts can be solo but a large part part of the game is for groups.  L2 and Aion you will get dusted a lot without being in a group.  So other than any MOBA that's about it.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    You could try Aion. It has instanced dungeons but also areas in each zone that have group content and quests. It also has a big OWPvPvE area called the Abyss (more areas like it after) if you like that. Those who wish to just PvE can be on the fast track server.

It's one of the few MMOs that really utilizes the "quadinity" of Tank, Healer, DPS, and CC. The Chanter is a fantastic support. For me Aion, from a group gameplay perspective, is a more engaging EQ... which is saying a lot.
  • SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    My recommendation would be The Secret World.  Great community and Dungeon Missions in each level zone that require groups.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2017
    I always thought TERA was more group focused because a lot of quests involved beating BAMs (Big Ass Monsters). You could solo some.. but it was very time consuming and is definitely better in a group, others you don't have a chance against on your own. There's enough solo content to get to max level, sure.. but you'll need to skip a lot of quests and content if you only wanted to solo, especially when you get into the 30s.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    You will not want to miss Pantheon's releasing but the bad news is that's about a year away. You can join the community now by pledging. 
  • TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    @SquireX While I admit that TSW is an amazing game, it is NOT a good group game by any stretch. Sure, you can do most of the stuff in a group, but it will most certainly break any difficulty that would otherwise be present. Most of the missions are meant to be solo'ed minus the dungeons/raids, of course. The community is great, though.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    I really don't have a lot of hope for Pantheon because i see a real big picture,but hey i could be wrong.

What i feel is going to happen is the game will lack enough mobs or camps,so it will end up just another WOW,giving out xp for goofy reasons/quests then the only real grouping will be for bosses or instances.So just like Wow ,it wil be more or less the anti mmo and anti rpg,but let's hope not,we truly could use some CHOICE rather than another Wow 2.0 3.0 4.0.

I am not just saying because i used to play it but FFXI was the best ever grouping game that still covered ALL bass,yes even soloing,combos,spike damage,control,kiting,duoing,NO hand holding and more depth in the ai/classes/combat than any other game,so if you never played it back in the day you  missed out and will never have anything to compare to it.

The closest thing was perhaps EQ but that was/is an altaholic game and not as in depth as FFXI.

If i was a frustrated noob with no good choice i might recommend ffxiv ,but i guarantee eventually a few things will bother you and frustrate you but overall it is as good quality as it gets.TESO also has an argument to be made but imo too much soloing and too much linear direction.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    I've got nothing....except...

Loosen up a bit and come play the recently released DAOC freeshard and you'll re-live what a social grouping game is all about.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    @SquireX While I admit that TSW is an amazing game, it is NOT a good group game by any stretch. Sure, you can do most of the stuff in a group, but it will most certainly break any difficulty that would otherwise be present. Most of the missions are meant to be solo'ed minus the dungeons/raids, of course. The community is great, though.
    I agree that the majority of its PvE is meant to be soloed (not only due to the level of difficulty as you mention, but also the mission/story immersion).  Personally, I tend to solo in most games, but I found myself grouping in TSW more than any game since back when I played EQ in its golden years just for the Dungeons (Normal, Elite then Nightmare), Challenges (Scenarios), Events (world bosses) and even PvP.   There's something very social about TSW (probably fostered by the great community).
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited March 2017
    SquireX said:
    I agree that the majority of its PvE is meant to be soloed (not only due to the level of difficulty as you mention, but also the mission/story immersion).
    Yes, and it is even advisable to do the story in solo, just like the rest of the 'other' missions too (at least the first time, for the story part). When it's about mission reruns, it often used to happen in groups for the faster completion. Achievements are also easier when in group, many of them directly requires a group. There are also the NM areas in every zone, in those you might gather a group for the missions - you can solo those missions, but they are really tough with the gear you are usually in, when you get there with the story.

Maybe I'm a bit 'spoiled' by the current golem-hunting marathon, but if I try to think back and compare to my other games, I have the same feeling as @SquireX ; above, " I found myself grouping in TSW more than any game since back when I played EQ" (except the EQ part, I never liked EQ :lol: ).

I used to spend a lot of times at player events in LotRO too, but I have to admit in "throught the early and mid game, and not just end-game dungeon running" as OP seeks, it has not much grouping... mainly because it has way too many xp, so unless you put your xp to a halt, you will overlevel the content and there's no need to group even for 3-man instances.
    You can join a 'turtle' leveling group though (like SlowTro), that way you will do most things in groups :wink:

(TSW and LotRO are maybe the most social games among the regular games, with great communities. Sure, Second Life is maybe more social, but let's just not go there :lol:  and games you "CANNOT" solo... not sure they're still exists. DDO is very group-oriented as some already mentioned, but even there you can solo a lot of things)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited March 2017
    Not sure of there's ever been a MMO with no solo play, but trust me, come try to solo level a Bard to 50 on my current game.

Not impossible, but I can't imagine the patience it would require. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Kyleran said:
    Not sure of there's ever been a MMO with no solo play, but trust me, come try to solo level a Bard to 50 on my current game.

Not impossible, but I can't imagine the patience it would require. ;)
    1.65 rules probably faster to put a gun to your head...bard some more jeez.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Eve is a grouped based game that starts you out in a corporation.  Parts can be solo but a large part part of the game is for groups.  L2 and Aion you will get dusted a lot without being in a group.  So other than any MOBA that's about it.  
    Kinda sums is up there. Of if you've got a console you might want to give Destiny a try. Though not a pure MMO, it has some serious co-op/party requirements at a lot of areas.

Also, it's always more fun to play MMOs with friends (even if you can solo) than to play them alone. I'm more than happy that my brother bought his PS4Pro last weekend so now we can co-op in quite a number of games ;)
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I've been trying out Aion here and there. I wouldn't say you can't solo, but this is the first game in a long time where I find myself dying occasionally during normal questing.

The community is almost too friendly, with people offering help when you don't want it, chatting you up and inviting you to guilds you don't want to join.

Nice people, but I'm an a--hole. Please leave me alone.
    Are any of these games with very niche classes? Meaning one class can't do it all, and have strengths as well as weaknesses (promoting group play)
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I group all the time in WoW and many other MMOs. Even EVE doesn't force people to group, but it happens all the time because its better to group than solo (but soloing is still possible)

I fail to see why a game needs to force grouping. Is that for people who are anti-social and can't group otherwise unless they are told to do so? I guess I can see that.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

I group all the time in WoW and many other MMOs. Even EVE doesn't force people to group, but it happens all the time because its better to group than solo (but soloing is still possible)

I fail to see why a game needs to force grouping. Is that for people who are anti-social and can't group otherwise unless they are told to do so? I guess I can see that.
    The reason for my search is I'm looking for an MMO to call my home. I want to be able to make friends and go on adventures (which sounds silly coming from a 20yr old man) but it's increasingly hard to do so when nobody wants to talk or interact. A game like what I'm looking for would build a real sense of community and encourage people to interact.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The reason for my search is I'm looking for an MMO to call my home. I want to be able to make friends and go on adventures (which sounds silly coming from a 20yr old man) but it's increasingly hard to do so when nobody wants to talk or interact. A game like what I'm looking for would build a real sense of community and encourage people to interact.
    Ah, yeah, I can see that. I thought you meant grouping encouraged games, but it sounds like you are looking for a social aspect.

Vanguard Saga of Heroes was very similar to what you are looking for, as it encouraged grouping and social aspects. But that obviously died off. 

EVE maybe, that is only one I can think of that encourages group activities. 

WoW has a lot of grouping, but you are right, nobody talks or interacts and even raids can be done without voice chat or communicating with anyone. 

Sadly, there isn't many MMOs left that maintain socialness. Just EVE really. Even in group encouraged games or in endgame dungeons/raids, no one talks or interacts. 

Even old MMOs, like Ultima Online or Everquest or Everquest 2...all require getting to endgame for any social aspects. In UO, I joined a guild and leader said to get to group I'd need to get max skills. I thought it was kinda lame so I quit. Even EQ isn't as social as it used to be, even though its grouping recommended.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    When I get a hankering for a group based game with socialization, I just go back to an EQ progression server like Phinigel.  The graphics are horrible, sure, but they're not without their charm.  And the group gameplay is still outstanding.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Kyleran said:
    I've got nothing....except...

Loosen up a bit and come play the recently released DAOC freeshard and you'll re-live what a social grouping game is all about.
    I never really played daoc. I bought it near release but was already playing EQ back then so only really tried it a couple days. All I remember is making a bard and fighting frogs or something. Maybe I'll give it a shot now.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • S-mmoS-mmo Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited March 2017
    Is there any good, halfway modern (decent graphics and gameplay) that you cannot solo, and has a decent community? It seems this is a dying breed, but I really want to find a fun MMO I can make friends on and call my home. Nowadays, MMOs are soloable, and dont push for player interaction, turning the community further into social outcasts.

Any suggestions?
    I have the same problem , try to fiend a hard mmo where you really need to push yourself. I can tell you this THERE ARE NOT AND PRETTY SURE THEY WILL NEVER BY. Reason is this days mmos stay on market 1-2 years and die ,they try to make the most money possible so they dont give a shit . 

All you can do is to play some action games where to kill  mobs who have some IQ . The most hard game to kill mobs is hand down Blade and soul. They block,cc,evade,etc you really need watch what you doing or you die pretty fast.

NOTHING ELSE ON THE MARKET, I have search me self a lot and still dont fiend . The mmo industry die ,for us the Old school players . This is the reason why all the old school players are going back to EQ and L2 private servers.

If from some miracle you found 1 let me know. I have more then 90 days when i just play some stupid MOBAS and CS:GO 
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Frankly, there are a number of good suggestions in this thread.  Making Friends in a game and grouping is usually about the players state of mind.  Every game listed has a or several groups of dedicated fans, most of whom love to see new players.  Try a couple out type in chat what you are looking for, I believe you will find it.  Good luck!