Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the Space MMO to watch.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    filmoret said:
    Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    Honestly any noob can easily identify the greatness that NMS showed us as gamers.  The possibilities opened up by that game showed us that its within our grasp and it doesn't take a 200mil development budget to get it.  This is literally a slap in the face showing how one really smart person is capable of creating something that AAA companies cannot or just lack the imagination to do so.  We are on the brink of something in gaming that this type of engine will bring to the table.  It all evolves around Procedural Generation, Seeds, Artificial Intelligence.   It looks very promising for us as gamers.
    How's that multiplayer access going in NMS?

Yeah, not too hard for a small team to make a single player game, done with some regularity and often without such withering criticism.

But a full featured MMORPG up to today's production expectations? I'll believe it when I see it.
    I didnt say NMS was a perfect game.  It definitely has some major issues.  Its like the guy who invented the first wheel.  The first wheel is nothing like we have today but somehow it was first and changed the world.
    Yeah, NMS is like the invention of the wheel. No one had ever made a space sim with procedural generation before NMS. 

NMS is a terrible iteration on something that has been around for decades.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    filmoret said:
    Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    Honestly any noob can easily identify the greatness that NMS showed us as gamers.  The possibilities opened up by that game showed us that its within our grasp and it doesn't take a 200mil development budget to get it.  This is literally a slap in the face showing how one really smart person is capable of creating something that AAA companies cannot or just lack the imagination to do so.  We are on the brink of something in gaming that this type of engine will bring to the table.  It all evolves around Procedural Generation, Seeds, Artificial Intelligence.   It looks very promising for us as gamers.

Yeah, not too hard for a small team to make a single player game, done with some regularity and often without such withering criticism.

But a full featured MMORPG up to today's production expectations? I'll believe it when I see it.
    I didnt say NMS was a perfect game.  It definitely has some major issues.  Its like the guy who invented the first wheel.  The first wheel is nothing like we have today but somehow it was first and changed the world.
    Man Nms didn't invent anything. It was a bad copy of x3 and Star bound, with better graphics. Star bound is a way better game, if starbound had Nms graphics it would be to the t what Nms promised.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    NOPE

It is not a game,it is a generated world with a editor tool.
    I was turned off immediately as soon as i saw the guy stick his hand out and a ship appears.

I don't want a tool tip computer program,i want a game that feels immersive and like a realistic looking world,not a computer program.

I do not want to see a guy tick his hand out and big holes appear in the ground,that is not plausible nor is it immersive,it looks fake.Flying th ship looks bad,the inside of cockpit looks real cheap and again fake looking.

He likes to keep mentioning alpha alpha ,yes i know.However adding more stuff does not change what is already done nor the concept.

I want an immersive world and i want actions to look realistic and i want content and gameplay.This is just a tooltip editor and nothing more,i can load up the Unreal UDK if i want to fiddle around with an editor.

Potential...Not from what i am looking at.I can see some people enjoying messing round with this kind of program,i mean millions play Minecrat,but it is not the game i am looking for.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:

Yeah, NMS is like the invention of the wheel. No one had ever made a space sim with procedural generation before NMS. 

NMS is a terrible iteration on something that has been around for decades.
    I'm sure if we looked hard enough we could find examples everywhere.  Elder Scrolls did PG heck even Starflight did PG and that game started development in the 70's.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Sabas said:

Your "pitch" sounds almost exactly line the one recently made by the "Ashes of Creation" team.

I'll say it again here, if they really plan to deliver something astounding they need significant funding.

When I see such firms with their hands out for paltry amounts of crowd funding I strongly have my doubts.

But hey they can easily prove me wrong so let's see what they launch with.

Any idea when that will be exactly. ;)

I find it a little insulting you swipe away my entire post as a "pitch". But you can feel that way, I only typed up that post to provide some background information.

I also commented on the subject of funding. You choose to ignore it. Thats not really being sceptical thats wanting to be right out of cynicism.

I really dont have to convince you of anything. I'll be enjoying the alpha in a couple of months and you can keep claiming its impossible.
    Being sceptical is healthy but if you are presented with facts you are at least obligated to concider them. Point in case , you did not adress a single thing in my post you whent straight to your original "pitch" of "its impossible".

But I really dont care that much, I was only providing some background information.
    filmoret said:
    Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:

Man Nms didn't invent anything. It was a bad copy of x3 and Star bound, with better graphics. Star bound is a way better game, if starbound had Nms graphics it would be to the t what Nms promised.
    So what game exactly allows you to land on a full sized planet and fly around.  Get out of the ship and walk around.  Then get back into the ship and fly into space and land on a space station?  I really wanna check out that game.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Worst possible thing you can do to a space sim? Compare it to Star Citizen. First of all, this game will NEVER have the graphics fidelity that Star Citizen has. Like ever. It won't likely have the same graphics fidelity that Star Citizen has right now. Or even a year ago. Honestly, I think that @filmoret just hurt this game here. SC and DU are so vastly different in scope that the comparison only serves to hurt DU. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited March 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    Worst possible thing you can do to a space sim? Compare it to Star Citizen. First of all, this game will NEVER have the graphics fidelity that Star Citizen has. Like ever. It won't likely have the same graphics fidelity that Star Citizen has right now. Or even a year ago. Honestly, I think that @filmoret just hurt this game here. SC and DU are so vastly different in scope that the comparison only serves to hurt DU. 
    This game is like SC but with more content and less graphics.   Sure if the only thing that matters is graphics then SC wins.  The probability that this game launches and we never see SC is also very high.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Looks like Empyrion... To the tee...

We'll see, I won't have my hopes up. For now, Empyrion is already available. And the same thing minus the MMO.

As for Star Citizen? Completely different concepts. Elite Dangerous in 2 years would be a better comparison to it. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Sabas said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sabas said:

Your "pitch" sounds almost exactly line the one recently made by the "Ashes of Creation" team.

I'll say it again here, if they really plan to deliver something astounding they need significant funding.

When I see such firms with their hands out for paltry amounts of crowd funding I strongly have my doubts.

I find it a little insulting you swipe away my entire post as a "pitch". But you can feel that way, I only typed up that post to provide some background information.

I also commented on the subject of funding. You choose to ignore it. Thats not really being sceptical thats wanting to be right out of cynicism.

I really dont have to convince you of anything. I'll be enjoying the alpha in a couple of months and you can keep claiming its impossible.
    Being sceptical is healthy but if you are presented with facts you are at least obligated to concider them. Point in case , you did not adress a single thing in my post you whent straight to your original "pitch" of "its impossible".

But I really dont care that much, I was only providing some background information.
    Your post contained nothing specific worth addressing, all part of the pitch.

Some famous/ rich guy behind it but no practical game creation experience. Check, same with Ashes.

Only did (or doing) crowd funding to avoid being beholden to evil investors or publishers. Check, same with Ashes.

Has more money (millions upon millions even) behind it aside from the paltry KS funds request or raised. Check, same with Ashes.

You did differ in saying they are only building tools and environments. I play MMORPGs like EVE which is what I'll be comparing this title against and it provides solid game play mechanics including one of the only single shard universes.

So claims this team has created some new shard tech based on telcom have me unconvinced, there might be magic in MMOs, but only money can really deliver the visions devs have.

So since we will likely never see any solid evidence of funding ($20 to $30M at least) I'll have to wait until it launches.

BTW, speaking of not answering questions, when is the predicted launch date?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Don't be so quick to lay claim of graphics in SC i see a lo of amateur work there.Graphics is a scope far beyond the  simple resolution.

It is not so much about graphics with me,yes i need them to be decent but it more how the graphics are done or lacking.Example at least since last i looked into it but,SC hangar,no moving animation,just a still static square box.

As i stated i don't want big holes magically appearing in my game and it does't matter if it is 4k graphics or 120x120 textures.I want to look at a game and say.. "ok now that makes sense".You want to start digging up holes then put a man there wit ha shovel or build excavators and have them dig the holes or create a sim AOE type game have a few miniature Ai npc's digging the hole over time but don't give me a hand sticking out and holes appear ...grrrr.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Kyleran said:
    Sabas said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sabas said:

Your post contained nothing specific worth addressing, all part of the pitch.

Some famous/ rich guy behind it but no practical game creation experience. Check, same with Ashes.

Only did (or doing) crowd funding to avoid being beholden to evil investors or publishers. Check, same with Ashes.

Has more money (millions upon millions even) behind it aside from the paltry KS funds request or raised. Check, same with Ashes.

You did differ in saying they are only building tools and environments. I play MMORPGs like EVE which is what I'll be comparing this title against and it provides solid game play mechanics including one of the only single shard universes.

So claims this team has created some new shard tech based on telcom have me unconvinced, there might be magic in MMOs, but only money can really deliver the visions devs have.

So since we will likely never see any solid evidence of funding ($20 to $30M at least) I'll have to wait until it launches.

BTW, speaking of not answering questions, when is the predicted launch date?

Looks like alpha and beta this year and launch of game sometime 2018.
    Looks like Empyrion... To the tee...

We'll see, I won't have my hopes up. For now, Empyrion is already available. And the same thing minus the MMO.

As for Star Citizen? Completely different concepts. Elite Dangerous in 2 years would be a better comparison to it. 
    Empyrion looks good.  Im gonna check that one out.
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    This game is like SC but with more content and less graphics.   Sure if the only thing that matters is graphics then SC wins.  The probability that this game launches and we never see SC is also very high.

Again, you're talking as if the launch of this game is a foregone conclusion. There are obviously technical hurdles surrounding this "type" of game when multiple developers on different projects elude to problems that the game (SC) would have to overcome. Trivializing these by making it sound like it's a "for sure thing" doesn't help the developers, it only creates additional barriers to making the RIGHT game.

I mean, fuck, just read their Technology page. First paragraph tells you about them having to solve problems using creative solutions. That tells of technological hurdles. They also mention that they will "hopefully redefine a new era for the MMO genre", so they aren't even as confident in themselves as you are. Second paragraph talks about how they created their own technology for a Continuous Single Shard Cluster which will handle millions of players...... what could go wrong, right? Third paragraph talks about how they've developed a custom voxel engine. Again, building your own engine is ALWAYS the easiest way to do it /sarcasm. Third, they're using a relatively unknown engine (Uniengine). Cool! What could go wrong? 

I have every hope that DU will be a great game BECAUSE of what they are striving for. However, to not acknowledge the technological hurdles they are facing is just hilariously misguided and only serves to hurt the game. Luckily, the way you talk about it's release being so matter-of-fact, it at least makes you seem less credible and hopefully people won't pile on and treat it that way. Just as with any game, it's about managing expectations. I'm a big fan of small teams, but there is still only so many hours in a day, too. Just saying, I remember a space game released last year by a small company that ended up NOT meeting expectations set by the community. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Again, you're talking as if the launch of this game is a foregone conclusion. There are obviously technical hurdles surrounding this "type" of game when multiple developers on different projects elude to problems that the game (SC) would have to overcome. Trivializing these by making it sound like it's a "for sure thing" doesn't help the developers, it only creates additional barriers to making the RIGHT game.

I mean, fuck, just read their Technology page. First paragraph tells you about them having to solve problems using creative solutions. That tells of technological hurdles. They also mention that they will "hopefully redefine a new era for the MMO genre", so they aren't even as confident in themselves as you are. Second paragraph talks about how they created their own technology for a Continuous Single Shard Cluster which will handle millions of players...... what could go wrong, right? Third paragraph talks about how they've developed a custom voxel engine. Again, building your own engine is ALWAYS the easiest way to do it /sarcasm. Third, they're using a relatively unknown engine (Uniengine). Cool! What could go wrong? 

I have every hope that DU will be a great game BECAUSE of what they are striving for. However, to not acknowledge the technological hurdles they are facing is just hilariously misguided and only serves to hurt the game. Luckily, the way you talk about it's release being so matter-of-fact, it at least makes you seem less credible and hopefully people won't pile on and treat it that way. Just as with any game, it's about managing expectations. I'm a big fan of small teams, but there is still only so many hours in a day, too. Just saying, I remember a space game released last year by a small company that ended up NOT meeting expectations set by the community. 
    The difference here is.   I'm not expecting a Star Citizen level fiasco to take place.  You somehow do.  They are projecting alpha beta for 2017 and game release for 2018.  At the worse possible situation we will see 6-8 months of delays for this timeline.  Unlike Star Citizen who will claim something is 7 days away from release and a year later we still dont see it.   And yes if they do end up taking an extra 5 years for Dual Universe then they will get much deserved critical input from me and a lot of other people.  
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

DU is a very interesting game. I support it financially. I follow its development.

I think it will be a fine game. Maybe not in 2018. But as with other games I think  it is better that they keep developing until its ready - with no fixed artifical dates. The scope of the game in my opinion will be smaller than in Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous.

IMHO at the moment they promise significantly more than they can deliver with the available budget. Personally I think they need additional money from someone (publisher or continued crowdfunding like in Star Citizen).

Have fun

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited March 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    I have every hope that DU will be a great game BECAUSE of what they are striving for. However, to not acknowledge the technological hurdles they are facing is just hilariously misguided and only serves to hurt the game. 
    The thing that made me not back DU is the smaller team vs big ambitious project that is indeed requiring tech pieces that will never be any easy to pull off correctly.

I think this game can very well happen but I don't think they will ever take the level of tech and simulation to the level SC is going after; I see DU more of a large-scale open-world Empyrion game, as it shows it has more focus on Planets than the actual space and its sandbox aspect.

So it shall be nice to have one MMO approach to that type of gameplay. But I wouldn't think it will happen as soon as they claim, but I'll poke around when there's some Alpha play.
    Hype hype hype the boys are marching....

Right you are.

And nothing wrong with a healthy bit of hype.

This game needs more support (and money) and hype is a way to get it.

Even us posting here pushes this thread and the game to the MMORPG front page - which is a good thing.

Have fun

filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:

The difference here is.   I'm not expecting a Star Citizen level fiasco to take place.  You somehow do.  They are projecting alpha beta for 2017 and game release for 2018.  At the worse possible situation we will see 6-8 months of delays for this timeline.  Unlike Star Citizen who will claim something is 7 days away from release and a year later we still dont see it.   And yes if they do end up taking an extra 5 years for Dual Universe then they will get much deserved critical input from me and a lot of other people.  

Cool, so your expectation from a team of developers with, effectively, zero game experience is that they will manage a game project well. To me that's scary as fuck! I'm not saying it can't be done, but you're talking like these guys have been doing shit like this for 20 years. Fuck, their Voxel Engine designer is fresh out of school!! All I'm saying is that people really need to start tempering their expectations with some amount of reality. These guys hopefully have what it takes to deliver a game that's fun to play. Let's maybe set the bar there before we start talking about how they're going to revolutionize the industry. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Erillion said:
    Hype hype hype the boys are marching....

Right you are.

And nothing wrong with a healthy bit of hype.

This game needs more support (and money) and hype is a way to get it.

Even us posting here pushes this thread and the game to the MMORPG front page - which is a good thing.

Have fun

Agreed, but there is, also, the veritable hype "cliff" that is an inevitability. Ultimately it will be the expectations which determine how fall the game will fall. Right now the OP is passing it off like it is already out and it's the greatest fucking game in history. Don't see how anyone survives that fall from grace, even if it is a good game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Cool, so your expectation from a team of developers with, effectively, zero game experience is that they will manage a game project well. To me that's scary as fuck! I'm not saying it can't be done, but you're talking like these guys have been doing shit like this for 20 years. Fuck, their Voxel Engine designer is fresh out of school!! All I'm saying is that people really need to start tempering their expectations with some amount of reality. These guys hopefully have what it takes to deliver a game that's fun to play. Let's maybe set the bar there before we start talking about how they're going to revolutionize the industry. 
    Again you are using Star Citizen as an example of how game development will happen.  That is a really bad example and maybe it hurts your feelings but the incompetence of CIG is unbelievable.  If DU is half way competent they will be 8 months late at the most.  And when beta launches in about 6 months I will be here to remind you.
  • SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    As I said before there is outside funding next to the kickstarter.  And a lot of people act as if the kickstarter was the first day they started working. NQ started development from prototype to actual game in early 2014. 

I'm sure nobody has bothered looking at his wikipedia page. Your loss. If education says anything, he comes from the european version of MIT. Has a PHD and developed real cutting edge tech in the field of robotics among other things. Computer science, theoretical physics...you really think such a guy will risk his reputation over 500k?

As always time will tell.
    Alpha begins in a couple of months.
    Release is being aimed at the end of 2018.

It really doesnt matter if people dont believe the claims right now. I backed, it got funded and when/if (to be fair) it gets released it will find its target audience. The general disbelief isnt really stopping NQ from developing the game.

Just a reality check here:

ETH Zurich is the European Version of the MIT.

The Ecole Polytechnique (where he studied) is not even among the first 100 universities in Europe.

"Jean-Christophe Baillie holds a degree from the École Polytechnique in Paris where he studied computer science and theoretical physics. He did his PhD in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at Université Pierre & Marie Curie in co-supervision with Luc Steels at the Sony Computer Science Lab in Paris."

http://www.4icu.org/top-universities-europe/

But same as you ... i backed, it got funded, i have high hopes for this game.

Have fun

filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Again you are using Star Citizen as an example of how game development will happen.  That is a really bad example and maybe it hurts your feelings but the incompetence of CIG is unbelievable.  If DU is half way competent they will be 8 months late at the most.  And when beta launches in about 6 months I will be here to remind you.

Dude! I'm totally NOT saying that Star Citizen is an example of how game development will happen, or should happen. The reality is that Star Citizen is still progressing IN SPITE of horrible project management. However, the biggest mistake someone can do is start throwing out dates. Star Citizen is a SUPERB example of this. The reality is that we, as humans, are REALLY bad at estimating work that will take longer. Coincidentally, our estimates get more and more accurate the smaller the task is (as far as estimates). It's actually one of the main reasons that game companies don't come to E3 and say, "We're working on the greatest game you've ever seen! It will be out in 2027 (ten years away)". No, game companies will usually announce games a year, MAYBE a little more, out. Why? Shit happens! So unless we've closed all our knowledge gaps and we are essentially in final testing, our estimates for release could vary wildly. It's the one flaw of crowdfunding. How long as DU already been in development? I don't know. Maybe they've already addressed all of their technical knowledge gaps and they are ready to go to market today. THAT is the way this gets done by next year. So unless they're sandbagging it and have way more than what they've let on to date, it will be an uphill battle. 

If they hit their beta in 6 months, feel free to remind me. I'm married, it wouldn't be the first time that I've been told I'm wrong. I really hope I am wrong. This isn't a matter of "Nah, nah-na boo boo, stick your face in doo doo." It's just being real and actually setting a realistic expectation for the game. Who fucking cares if it's out next year or 2019, or 2020. If it's a good game, people will play it. Will they pay for it? Who knows, that's another matter entirely!!! One way it WILL fail, though, is if it intends to put schedule ahead of quality. The road of Crowdfunded MMORPGs is littered with the corpses of games with good intentions and revolutionary technology. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Dude! I'm totally NOT saying that Star Citizen is an example of how game development will happen, or should happen. The reality is that Star Citizen is still progressing IN SPITE of horrible project management. However, the biggest mistake someone can do is start throwing out dates. Star Citizen is a SUPERB example of this. The reality is that we, as humans, are REALLY bad at estimating work that will take longer. Coincidentally, our estimates get more and more accurate the smaller the task is (as far as estimates). It's actually one of the main reasons that game companies don't come to E3 and say, "We're working on the greatest game you've ever seen! It will be out in 2027 (ten years away)". No, game companies will usually announce games a year, MAYBE a little more, out. Why? Shit happens! So unless we've closed all our knowledge gaps and we are essentially in final testing, our estimates for release could vary wildly. It's the one flaw of crowdfunding. How long as DU already been in development? I don't know. Maybe they've already addressed all of their technical knowledge gaps and they are ready to go to market today. THAT is the way this gets done by next year. So unless they're sandbagging it and have way more than what they've let on to date, it will be an uphill battle. 

If they hit their beta in 6 months, feel free to remind me. I'm married, it wouldn't be the first time that I've been told I'm wrong. I really hope I am wrong. This isn't a matter of "Nah, nah-na boo boo, stick your face in doo doo." It's just being real and actually setting a realistic expectation for the game. Who fucking cares if it's out next year or 2019, or 2020. If it's a good game, people will play it. Will they pay for it? Who knows, that's another matter entirely!!! One way it WILL fail, though, is if it intends to put schedule ahead of quality. The road of Crowdfunded MMORPGs is littered with the corpses of games with good intentions and revolutionary technology. 
    Who generally run out of funding and have to launch regardless of quality or features.

Far larger and better funded efforts have found themselves in similar situation.

Hence my calls for proof of a solid funding plan and my skepticism at plans to deliver miraculous technology (millions of players in a single shard indeed) all on a beer budget.

That one item alone is something CCP continues to chase though the days if it being necessary have likely long passed 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon