Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to PG planets and landing on them?

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    I don't think not having content for planetary landings is the reason for it not being in place. 
    I think it's good they are working on content generation on planets on the first iteration, we already have enough games that focus on how big things are, and the "wow this is so big" effect does not last long when people get to play.

Let's ignore the fact that whatever content SC has included in their game, is mindbogglingly generic and uninspired.

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    sgel said:
    Let's ignore the fact that whatever content SC has included in their game, is mindbogglingly generic and uninspired.
    That's up to your opinion. I disagree, I think they manage well enough on the story-telling side of the areas you explore, the Covalex Mission is one nice example. Will be interesting to see how much they will push on story questlines/chains per area.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    I don't think not having content for planetary landings is the reason for it not being in place. 
    I think it's good they are working on content generation on planets on the first iteration, we already have enough games that focus on how big things are, and the "wow this is so big" effect does not last long when people get to play.

Whatever is what is holding them back or taking more time to finish up, it's undeniable how far this aspect of the game alone has come since we saw it for the very first time on that video just posted. So I prefer to enjoy the ride patiently than be that angry dude shouting at the driver for how long it is taking :D
    That is common sense man.  Its the fact that they don't even have a barebones planet to test out.  That is a big concern considering they claimed to have it almost a year ago.  I mean they aren't launching a finished product its the PTU its testing it isnt even considered alpha.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    That is common sense man.  Its the fact that they don't even have a barebones planet to test out.  That is a big concern considering they claimed to have it almost a year ago.  I mean they aren't launching a finished product its the PTU its testing it isnt even considered alpha.
    You're running under your opinion and assumption of what it is to state as a fact. --'

You don't even know if what's holding back 3.0 is PG, and not netcode, physics, the cargo/trading mechanics, or the AI, or several of the big things 3.0 is meant to introduce.

Then you're ofc pretending 3.0 is just PG and if they had PG ready it should be released already... if that was what it was, or how it works.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:

But we haven't seen any content to prove this is what's causing the delay, all we've seen is a guy running around on a barren, boring planet, hardly any different to the other "wow this is so big" games you want to take a poke at.

MaxBacon said:
    Whatever is what is holding them back or taking more time to finish up, it's undeniable how far this aspect of the game alone has come since we saw it for the very first time on that video just posted. So I prefer to enjoy the ride patiently than be that angry dude shouting at the driver for how long it is taking :D
    Defintely looks better than what they showed before but until it's in backers' hands it's pretty worthless.
    I think most people are patient but if there's complaining it's only because CIG show these things off as though they're almost finished and then take 18 months - 2 years to actually deliver them.

edited March 2017
     because CIG show these things off as though they're almost finished and then take 18 months - 2 years to actually deliver them.
    I never heard anything about it being almost finished when PG prototype/tech demo was shown 18 months ago.

And they did not hide the fact, that was a static planet on a simple heightmap, without physics, without rotation, demoed in-engine within a branch separate from the main game, and not even yet compatible with a multiplayer environment.

If someone saw that and said "it's almost finished"... They were delusional. O.o

MaxBacon said:
     because CIG show these things off as though they're almost finished and then take 18 months - 2 years to actually deliver them.
    I never heard anything about it being almost finished when PG prototype/tech demo was shown 18 months ago.

And they did not hide the fact, that was a static planet on a simple heightmap, without physics, without rotation, demoed in-engine within a branch separate from the main game, and not even yet compatible with a multiplayer environment.

If someone saw that and say "it's almost finished".... Okay O.o

Now the 3.0 demo 7(?) months ago that was a different story.

When these videos get posted around as though they are an example of the game do people throw in the caveats or do they just let people think what they want to think?

When the press were showing off all of this post demo was there any disclaimer that these were simple static planets with a basic heightmap or did they just let people think this is what is currently being worked on?

Did CIG make it clear at the time of releasing this video?

Without that clarification it should come as no surprise that people will look at it and say "What's taking so long?"
    edited March 2017
    When these videos get posted around as though they are an example of the game do people throw in the caveats or do they just let people think what they want to think?

When the press were showing off all of this post demo was there any disclaimer that these were simple static planets with a basic heightmap or did they just let people think this is what is currently being worked on?

Did CIG make it clear at the time of releasing this video?
    Of course when a company releases a tech demo of a feature, you expect it to be nearly finished... Something that they claimed very clearly, 2-3 months of work prototyping it! Right... Right?!

Only delusional people would think such, it's as delusional as those people who take ANY little mention of a plan or possibility as a 100% confirmed feature.
    MaxBacon said:
    Of course when a company releases a tech demo of a feature, you expect it to be nearly finished... Something that they claimed very clearly, 2-3 months of work prototyping it! Right... Right?!

Only delusional people would think such, it's as delusional as those people who take ANY little mention of a plan or possibility as a 100% confirmed feature.
    Dude, when they release these things they don't even say they are prototypes or tech demos. They are used as though they represent the current state of the game in-house. You know this as well as I do.

It was only since the Homestead demo that they have admitted these things contain stuff created purely for demo purposes and are not representative of the actual work in house.
    edited March 2017
    Dude, when they release these things they don't even say they are prototypes or tech demos. They are used as though they represent the current state of the game in-house. You know this as well as I do.

It was only since the Homestead demo that they have admitted these things contain stuff created purely for demo purposes and are not representative of the actual work in house.
    Because there's a clear difference between tech demo and actual game demo. 3.0 was a game demo and implies that is part of the 3.0 update, the Homestead demo is not. Neither was the original first PG Planet we saw.

The first shown of PG, was indeed claimed as very early development of it, and you saw that what they shown was in-engine not in-game, something they shown right after the video demo running inside the engine, so I simply can't agree with you on that one. =/
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Dude, when they release these things they don't even say they are prototypes
    Wrong.

You see their "WIP" (Work in Progress) hint/cue/indication in most of their videos/pictures/articles.

Have fun
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited March 2017
    MaxBacon sc.f.aid:
    filmoret said:
    So they have working version of a pg planet that you can land on but somehow they didn't put it in the PTU because it needs to be polished?
    Who said polished?!

You again living on a parallel universe to SC's development, PG is to be released within 3.0, not as its own standalone update lol
    So that's the problem SC's development takes place in a parallel universe. That they had to create first. Building tools for the developers to commute to work must have been very hard.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Not sure why anyone keeps entertaining this threads, if they want it, the info is all on the SC site and has been posted here like 600 times. 

It must have gotten too quite on these boards, so OP thought 'let's start another topic about something which has already been brought up and answered god knows how many times already,"

It's clear an answer isn't being looked for.
    Herase said:
    Not sure why anyone keeps entertaining this threads, if they want it, the info is all on the SC site and has been posted here like 600 times. 

It must have gotten too quite on these boards, so OP thought 'let's start another topic about something which has already been brought up and answered god knows how many times already,"

It's clear an answer isn't being looked for.
    we already got a thread about why pg planets aren't in the PTU?
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    Person A "why is something under development not released yet?"
    Person  B "because it's under development."
    Person B "Am I talking to one answering machine?"

I mean it's so obvious, nothing was canceled here; unless we want a dejavu of that silly Star Marine is cancelled thread.
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    Person  B "because it's under development."
    Person B "Am I talking to one answering machine?"

I mean it's so obvious, nothing was canceled here; unless we want a dejavu of that silly Star Marine is cancelled thread.
    Nothing has been released yet.  Its pre alpha.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well it is not as simple as to say "still in development".
    They have been spending money and contracting out ship building ,INSTEAD of spending that time and money on the game.They would have to send over execs,meetings to set it all up and each time they have some new ship concept they want to sell.

So one would ask,is devoting time/money on ship building NEEDED at this point?Most certainly not,this is strictly donator's money poorly spent ,NOT developing the game but building more items for cash shop instead.

From where i come from,there is a big difference from cash shop and game design.What is the purpose of a GOAL,if you just keep adding more goals,how do you properly design a game like that if you have no "definitive" goal to reach.

It is like telling your supporters "ok we have this game we we build,no wait ,we have a new idea and again and again.
    No investor in his right mind would invest in a project that has no definitive goal to reach and FINISH.The only reason an investor jumps on board is they see a get rich scam and want in on it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As to nothing cancelled ...roflmao how can you cancel something that has no definitive time line and nobody to answer to?It is impossible itis like me saying i am building a rocket ship.It might take me forever but hey ,i have nobody to answer to,no guarantees of any kind,so there ya go,my rocket ship idea has not been cancelled.

See how easy it is to make that kind of meaningless statement,anyone can do it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    It seems to me that CR et al may have started out with the intention of making money by developing a game and having a cash flow from people playing the game. Along the way they have discovered that they can make a very lucrative income from being in a perpetual state of development. And that is were we are today.
    edited March 2017
    Wizardry said:
    Well it is not as simple as to say "still in development".
    Oh... of course conspiracies are always the answer after all this is SC; everything is some sort of mysterious conspiracy where nothing is what it looks like.

Of course the logical conclusion is that they are pretending to be developing a game, when they are just developing new ships. This is the "greater truth" that only the enlighten ones can see I suppose, for the rest, it's comedy.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    They already had a fully PG planet.  I mean its not hard you just throw it in the middle of a system and let the players test and run around. 
    And this proves to me how little you understand of how things work.

One of the things that is ongoing is the streaming tech part of the game; this is what within the PU will stream in and out all the stuff you need as you move around within the game. Until that is ready to be released within the MP environment... they can't release a planet that depends on stuff that is not yet on a release-able state.

You again taking the fact they shown a demo of it, as it was done and ready to be released. That'd be like releasing 2.0 with the large-scale map before the 64bit tech was ready for it.

As a neutral party I'd just like to point out that the game is already multiple separate systems accessible from the main menu. So if they had an explorable version of a PG world that they let journalists explore, they could have added that as an additional system in the game to let the people playing their bills explore. Along with the rest of the game that also 100% still in development, being alpha and all. I believe that is the whole reason people are paying money to CIG at this point, to support the project and get access to the game in development.

Having played parts of the game that are available now, they don't have a very high bar as to what they will let people play, so what's the deal with PG worlds? Totally understandable that people ask that question. 
    edited March 2017
    Having played parts of the game that are available now, they don't have a very high bar as to what they will let people play, so what's the deal with PG worlds? Totally understandable that people ask that question. 
    The separate parts of the game people can play attm are actually part of the game, they aren't there to be "tested and removed", both AC, SM, the Hangars and the PU.

One piece of tech as the PG Planets for who understands all that ties to them and all they are developing surrounding it, could not be isolated without pieces of tech they are currently working on be also ready to release, we're talking about zoning systems, streaming techs, physics (both gravity and planet rotation), and so forth.

As for the explorable version of it, wasn't a proper "hands-on", those type of dev demos they do at events; those are controlled environments where the demo itself is also controlled, even though media could have some level of interaction with it.
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited March 2017
    Wizardry said:
    As to nothing cancelled ...roflmao how can you cancel something that has no definitive time line and nobody to answer to?It is impossible itis like me saying i am building a rocket ship.It might take me forever but hey ,i have nobody to answer to,no guarantees of any kind,so there ya go,my rocket ship idea has not been cancelled.

So let me see your functional rocket engine. Let me see the over-all blueprints. Show me videos of people actually working on a product. Let me fly around the mini non space version that you built and let your investors play with.

You get where I'm going with this?
    edited March 2017
    Rouzuki said:
    Wizardry said:

So let me see your functional rocket engine. Let me see the over-all blueprints. Show me videos of people actually working on a product. Let me fly around the mini non space version that you built and let your investors play with.

You get where I'm going with this?
    I'm sure he could draw some pictures and pile up some scrap metal and claim the same of what we see right now from CIG.

Yea this is a picture of what im gonna make.

I'm gonna melt this metal down and make all this stuff.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I think landing on PG planets will be in there when this game releases in completed form.... in around 2027. :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.