Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fantasy game that I can live in

InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
Basically, I'm looking for a game I can have a second life in. Just finished the anime "Log Horizon" and started wanting to play a fun mmo of my own. These are the qualities im looking for:

Fantasy setting
Active, friendly community
A real sense of adventure
Active action combat requiring strategy. Nothing turns me off more than uninspired tank n spank raids
Player or guild housing
Decent crafting system
IDC about payment method but prefer to stray away from p2w and cash shop riddled f2p games
IDC a whole lot about grindyness unless it's over the top
Open world or sandbox

Currently waiting on Chronicals of Elyria and Star Citizen but it's gonna be a while on those.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Unfortunately are no real MMO close to Log Horizon (I would play that, love the show).

The combat usually is in 3 different categories: Standard tank and spank trinity (Wow, Rift and so on), action combat (usually with less then optional focus on strategy, GW2, TERA and more) and FPS styled combat (could have worked but MMO powergap + FPS combat is a mess).

With your requirement no game out now fits the bill, if you havn't tried GW2 you probably should since it at least is well made and somewhat close. Another older option is to try Ryzom, it is somewhat old but a sandbox, the population is also so-so but it is pretty close to what you ask for.

Upcoming games you might want to keep your eyes on are: Pantheon, Crowfall, Shards and Shroud. I am not sure that either of them will fit the bill either since I havn't tried them.

Log Horizon is incredible popular with the Japanese gamer crowd though so it is not impossible that we actually get a game based on it eventually.

Until then: Read this fansub comic about the west wind brigade in LH? http://mangafox.me/manga/log_horizon_nishikaze_no_ryodan/
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Loke666 said:

Log Horizon is incredible popular with the Japanese gamer crowd though so it is not impossible that we actually get a game based on it eventually.
    While that would be cool, I don't see it happening for a couple reasons:

1) Everyone would rather pump out SAO games for some reason.
    2) LH seems to be in a bit of a void, atm -- what with the author's recent criminal trouble and not much else going on with the series, and the fact that the anime is pretty much finished, etc.

I know he's still writing LH, though, and just finished another volume(12) recently, so who knows, maybe it'll get some attention back on it before long.  The anime covered through Volume 10, for reference.

If they did produce one, it'd probably just be some crummy mobile game or something anyway, with the way things are going these days :confounded:
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited January 2017
    Guild Wars 2 also loosely fits the list.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2017
    You specified an active, "friendly" community.

Those appear to have gone extinct sometime prior to 2010, but no one is sure of the exact date.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    ESO
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kyleran said:

Those appear to have gone extinct sometime prior to 2010, but no one is sure of the exact date.

;)
    Since Warhammer Online.
    Those Public Quests were the start of anonymous grouping.
    People would just join in without exchanging a single word and leave as soon as the Mob was dead.

It was actually the first form of Group Finder which was then expanded to Dungeons and Raids in WoW.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    It's way old but if you get on the right server UO is still worth a try.
  • ShannaBananaShannaBanana Member UncommonPosts: 1
    What about FFXIV? Dungeons can be a bit boring early on, but later you get a lot of active dodges/moving pieces to deal with. Has the friendliest community I have EVER seen in a MMO. Player housing is there, cute/interactive crafting system with adorable little outfits to keep updated. Not too grindy except when you have to get through some boring story quests at the end of level 50 to access the Heavensward content. =) But worth getting through. Very cute game. Wish it was open world
  • storagstorag Member UncommonPosts: 17
    IMO, ESO and LotRO can fit IF you are a PVE player 
    But LH is clearly based on classic asian MMOs like Lineage more than anything else so you might check Archage, Black Desert, Bless etc as well.
    Haven't tried FFXIV myself but keep hearing it's good and might just be an ideal cross if not for the trinity.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Darkfall Rise of Agon release date is May 5th!! : D

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    What about FFXIV? Dungeons can be a bit boring early on, but later you get a lot of active dodges/moving pieces to deal with. Has the friendliest community I have EVER seen in a MMO. Player housing is there, cute/interactive crafting system with adorable little outfits to keep updated. Not too grindy except when you have to get through some boring story quests at the end of level 50 to access the Heavensward content. =) But worth getting through. Very cute game. Wish it was open world

FFXIV has really nice looking graphics and fantastic musical scores.  However, the actual questing and crafting are a bit linear and not complex.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I think LOTRO may best fit the OPs reqs
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I was thinking before Nov 2004......
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I was thinking before Nov 2004......
    It honestly have more to do how large the games get. Once it reach a certain number the trolls come like flies to honey.

Wows community wasn't initially bad but it got worse as it rise in popularity (which was more mid 2005) and 1 idiot can scream and whine more then 100 normal people.

Small games at least usually have friendlier communities since the players feel more like a small sub group. But of course then you get the "active" problem instead.

The worst thing to mess up a community in my experience is the need or greed mechanics though, I heard more people upset on it during play then all other things put together. Some people always misuse it or have a different opinion what they "need" and it often get out the worst of people.
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Ive since found out about the alpha game Camelot Unchained and it seems like it should have what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions! Also currently starting to give BDO a college try; the wizzard class is pretty fun!
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    ESO and LOTRO and if your up for it wanna try EQ2.
  • AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    edited March 2017
    Ive since found out about the alpha game Camelot Unchained and it seems like it should have what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions! Also currently starting to give BDO a college try; the wizzard class is pretty fun!
    CU is far away though, and BDO looks a bit P2W. 
    If you remember the old MMO called Darkfall Online (now defunct), there are now 2 companies that are currently developing their own versions of it. One of them is called Darkfall Rise of Agon, and is out in 2 months. The Darkfall-community isn't the friendliest though, and it's open-PvP, but I'm sure you can find a guild that would suit your needs. 
    For more info look here: https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/
    Otherwise the market is pretty dead nowadays, with only Crowfall and CU on the horizon that could spice things up. There's always EVE Online, but it's sci-fi.
  • Theosis78Theosis78 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    we should start a room for the dream mmo and what we want in it
    I'm seeking a firefly type game. If anyone knows a place in the verse were I can be a big damned hero let me know.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Theosis78 said:
    we should start a room for the dream mmo and what we want in it
    It's been done before, the abominations that came out of them had to be hunted down and killed with fire.  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon