Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to PG planets and landing on them?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
They figured out PG planets and even had planetary landing ready in August of 2016.   Yet somehow they haven't given the players 1 single planet to land on.  Now I'm beginning to think they just lied about it and showed us a scripted video of limited gameplay with a spin making people believe it was a full sized planet and lots of area to explore.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    Having the tech and demo it is not the same as "it's done and ready to be released". 

It's called development, as they show time to time the how it keeps progressing and improving from what we seen before:

(from this week's update on PG progress)

The answer to what happened to PG Planets is quite obvious, under development. The number of planets/moons is irrelevant, if there's blockers and stuff to do before it's on a release-able, it won't happen until it is.

On its progress, several things that changed since last year PG Demos:
    • Orbital mechanics are now a thing, been a question for a while that depended on if tech-wise allowed it to happen, and so it happens.
    • Planets rotate, from the originally shown static versions to have them rotating to generate by itself the day/night cycles.
    • Cloud simulation (and eventually weather), another of the sides of PG gaining traction since the demos.
    • And obviously, the work being done on the stuff that will be generated within those planets (mostly outposts of several types within the first release it seems)

I think following the topic of PG within the development you'll see the clear path it's taking and how it is improving on literally every front, showing focus attm on content creation/generation on the planets/moons.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    I think they havent finished the game. And also you might be lying about them lying which makes it hard to know who the real Lier here is :(

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Its just odd they supposively had it ready and although it wasn't polished it was quite ready.  So now the excuse is they are polishing it?  I mean it isnt even considered alpha and they want to polish it before they put 1 planet in?
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    Its just odd they supposively had it ready and although it wasn't polished it was quite ready.  So now the excuse is they are polishing it?  I mean it isnt even considered alpha and they want to polish it before they put 1 planet in?
    Who said PG Planets were ready? Because they have demoed one or two means it's ready to be released?!

You're quite disconnected here. On reality, the release of PG that was and is set to be 3.0 was not meant to introduce "1 planet", yet the entire solar system of Stanton.

And idk where you came with "polish" as well, it is still pretty much under development and shows its current focus (within PG) is the content creation/generation upon those planets/moons and different planet "biomes".
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Like I said all fake movies of make believe 'nearly ready to go' tech.

Its been on going ever since they made their first fake presentation (that was exposed as faked and spliced) and hasnt stopped since. Now they just have a movie studio bought and paid for with backer money and jpegs sold to make these videos they pass off a gameplay in.

But theyre still not that good and easily (to anyone with eyes) exposed as fake.

The fact that nothing they have highlighted on all these conventions has ever seen the light of day should tell people something. But its the same old broken record from everyone.
    edited March 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    That was really impressive to me and will help a lot to develop whole systems since they already set rules for different climates such lava hot, ice, desert, and earth-like.
    Yup it's quite interesting how they balanced the "hand-crafted" approach within PG, using tools that scale from the macro level of customizing one massive chunk of the surface, to the micro level to manually placing a building or a rock by themselves.
    I'm betting the planet wasn't PG like they claimed.  I mean really, them just throwing out a planet with atmosphere so players can land ships and mess around would somehow hurt them?  They already had a fully PG planet.  I mean its not hard you just throw it in the middle of a system and let the players test and run around.  At this point its clear they lied and it wasn't PG but some sort of scripted demo.  You can walk around on ships you cannot fly but you cannot land on the planet?  Because they want to finish the planet before you land on it.  Yet you can walk around in a ship that isn't finished.

Its clear all they do is make it look like they are further along then they really are.  
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Rodarin still believes in his "faked and spliced" video idea. Nothing is "proven" ... YOU have "proven" it to yourself and believe that everyone else also follows this belief. Just like your opinion about the moon landings that "never happened".  

And the thing about the PG demo and planetary landing having been faked: some people keep forgetting that CIG allowed gaming journalists (GameStar magazine among others) at GamesCon 2016 to try PG landing. The journalists chose where to land and what to do. It was a very basic demo (back then no vegetation or weather etc.) but it certainly was not scripted. 

Have fun
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited March 2017
    And filmoret - the answer to your OP  question is: it is still under development.... and the progress is well documented in monthly dev talk videos. The links to those videos you find here in various threads like the "video" thread or the "dev updates" thread ... or one just checks them out on the Star Citizen official homepage. 

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    The demo that they showed was certainly a vertical slice with bits made purely so the demo could function.
    It seems that at the moment they're showing each part individually, seeing it working in a mutiplayer setup will be the interesting bit. I think they intend for people to traverse from space to planets in 3.0 but there's no timeline for that anymore.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Erillion said:
    And filmoret - the answer to your OP  question is: it is still under development.... and the progress is well documented in monthly dev talk videos. The links to those videos you find here in various threads like the "video" thread or the "dev updates" thread ... or one just checks them out on the Star Citizen official homepage. 

Have fun
    So there you have it officially from the unofficial source, or something like that.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Last I checked they were just finishing up the stuff needed to start working on the stuff they talked about in the demo.  Make of it what you will, they still have a long way to go.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Erillion said:
    Rodarin still believes in his "faked and spliced" video idea. Nothing is "proven" ... YOU have "proven" it to yourself and believe that everyone else also follows this belief. Just like your opinion about the moon landings that "never happened".  

And the thing about the PG demo and planetary landing having been faked: some people keep forgetting that CIG allowed gaming journalists (GameStar magazine among others) at GamesCon 2016 to try PG landing. The journalists chose where to land and what to do. It was a very basic demo (back then no vegetation or weather etc.) but it certainly was not scripted. 

Have fun
    So they have working version of a pg planet that you can land on but somehow they didn't put it in the PTU because it needs to be polished?  I mean they are working on the stuff sure but there is absolutely no reason to keep it from the PTU when they have it working.   Unless its not really working like they claimed.  We all expected them to polish the planet and do a lot of different things but at the same time just give the players what they have because although it doesn't look shiny it works.

You let journalists fly around on pg planets and have fun but the backers are SOL.
    filmoret said:
    They already had a fully PG planet.  I mean its not hard you just throw it in the middle of a system and let the players test and run around. 
    And this proves to me how little you understand of how things work.

One of the things that is ongoing is the streaming tech part of the game; this is what within the PU will stream in and out all the stuff you need as you move around within the game. Until that is ready to be released within the MP environment... they can't release a planet that depends on stuff that is not yet on a release-able state.

You again taking the fact they shown a demo of it, as it was done and ready to be released. That'd be like releasing 2.0 with the large-scale map before the 64bit tech was ready for it.

edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    So they have working version of a pg planet that you can land on but somehow they didn't put it in the PTU because it needs to be polished?
    Who said polished?!

You again living on a parallel universe to SC's development, PG is to be released within 3.0, not as its own standalone update lol
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    They already had a fully PG planet.  I mean its not hard you just throw it in the middle of a system and let the players test and run around. 
    And this proves to me how little you understand of how things work.

One of the things that is ongoing is the streaming tech part of the game; this is what within the PU will stream in and out all the stuff you need as you move around within the game. Until that is ready to be released within the MP environment... they can't release a planet that depends on stuff that is not yet on a release-able state.

You again taking the fact they shown a demo of it, as it was done and ready to be released. That'd be like releasing 2.0 with the large-scale map before the 64bit tech was ready for it.

But they haven't made it so you can fly in the solar system yet?  What the crap have they been doing all these years if you can't even fly through 1 solar system?
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    But they haven't made it so you can fly in the solar system yet?  What the crap have they been doing all these years if you can't even fly through 1 solar system?
    Duh, that's exactly the point of 3.0. You're obsessing with PG Planets alone this is one global of features, pieces of tech and other bits the englobe the release of the system, with the planets, and so forth.

We started at once seeing the implementations of the streaming techs on the last patch, seeing how MegaMap makes things load in and out on the instant instead of loading screens. It's set to have its first implementation within the MP environments on 2.6.2. And later it how the persistent universe itself is meant to work.

Also you may have forgotten, a PG Planet is set to be its own instance as well, so all the network work they are also doing is a dependency for it so players can move in-between these instances as they move within the system. I guess it's not hard to understand that having the ability to fly down and land on a planet is just the tip of the iceberg of all it needs until ready to release.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Thankfully for Cloud Imperium, a little game called No Man's Sky came out and made Star Citizen look well planned and not a lie.

Joined - July 2004

MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    Duh, that's exactly the point of 3.0. You're obsessing with PG Planets alone this is one global of features, pieces of tech and other bits the englobe the release of the system, with the planets, and so forth.

We started at once seeing the implementations of the streaming techs on the last patch, seeing how MegaMap makes things load in and out on the instant instead of loading screens. It's set to have its first implementation within the MP environments on 2.6.2. And later it how the persistent universe itself is meant to work.

Also you may have forgotten, a PG Planet is set to be its own instance as well, so all the network work they are also doing is a dependency for it so players can move in-between these instances as they move within the system. I guess it's not hard to understand that having the ability to fly down and land on a planet is just the tip of the iceberg of all it needs until ready to release.
    So once again they make something that isn't compatible with their game.  Now they spend a year getting it ready so they can simply plug it in.   Yea like the above said.  NMS, Elite Dangerous,  Dual Universe just make this game look really sad.   Best of luck to you man but here they go again with more excuses on why they cannot do one simple thing.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    It is like trying to explain to some one that earth isn't flat, when they believe it is.
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    So once again they make something that isn't compatible with their game.  Now they spend a year getting it ready so they can simply plug it in
    For me I understand what they going through as of, 3.0 is a big jump and is requiring a LOT of stuff to be working together. As you can read on a recent interview to Erin Roberts where he talks about this.

The phase where all the pieces of tech need to work well together, is known on development as one of the phases that give you most headaches, but once worked through, is when the focus will be gameplay and content.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    filmoret said:
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:

So once again they make something that isn't compatible with their game.  Now they spend a year getting it ready so they can simply plug it in.   Yea like the above said.  NMS, Elite Dangerous,  Dual Universe just make this game look really sad.   Best of luck to you man but here they go again with more excuses on why they cannot do one simple thing.

Elite doesn't make anything look sad.it is by far one of the worst space games. Vendetta online has them beat in vr and mmo game play. Eve online has them beat in mmo game play. X3 x rebirth have them beat in single player. There is nothing that elite does well. As for saying a game that isn't released , has way more money and fans, wasn't rushed out with 0 content like Elite, is looking sad cause of elite, makes no sense.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Making a PG planet to land is easy, having meaningful content in said planet is the hard part.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited March 2017
    LOL at those engines moving (1m30s), that looks so crap :)

This video is 15 months old and they still don't have what they're showing implemented in game.
    It's alright saying content is the important bit but the PU has 3 stations, a handful of missions and a few outfits, if they're happy for people to play with only that for the last year I don't think not having content for planetary landings is the reason for it not being in place.

edited March 2017
    rpmcmurphy said:
    I don't think not having content for planetary landings is the reason for it not being in place. 
    I think it's good they are working on content generation on planets on the first iteration, we already have enough games that focus on how big things are, and the "wow this is so big" effect does not last long when people get to play.

Whatever is what is holding them back or taking more time to finish up, it's undeniable how far this aspect of the game alone has come since we saw it for the very first time on that video just posted. So I prefer to enjoy the ride patiently than be that angry dude shouting at the driver for how long it is taking :D
This discussion has been closed.