Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Remastering Project Shown at GDC - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGraphics Remastering Project Shown at GDC - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Black Desert Online News - Not long ago Pearl Abyss announced that they'd be remastering the graphics of Black Desert Online. During this week's Game Developers Conference Silicon Studio CEO Takehiko Terada presented a video that shows some of the before and after looks of BDO using the "YEBIS" graphic effects.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2017
    A definite improvement , maybe i will return when they improve the graphics , will see, the PVE needs improvement also
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    This should have literally been the bottom of the list thing to work on.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw the article. The game has arguably some of the best graphics in any mmo. Not sure why improving them would even be on the priority list.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    DMKano said:

The graphics are great as they are - what really needs dev attention are gameplay issues such as:

Server performance

52-60 PvE leveling basiclaly being Sausans and Pirates eventhough there is 99.9999% of landmass that could be used to spread grind spots around

The cancerous gear upgrade process, at least have a way of locking down failstacks that alone would help a ton

Making classes other than Warrior, Sorc, Ranger and Zerk and Wiz/Witch viable in PvP

Removing restrictions on player trade

Perhaps looking at some cash shop pricing - $30 for a costume is more than the game iteslf - heck you can buy real clothes for that much money.

PvP needs actual meaning - node wars and castle sieges are a dud - look at the stats:

Total players who died in a siege - 7K NA and 7K in EU, I mean that speaks volumes of actual participation

etc...

But this is just VFX work- and IMO some examples look a lot better without the background blurring - so IMO this was a waste.
    You do realize that the people implementing graphical improvements like this wont be the same people that work on the servers, right?

And, well, the rest of your list is just personal nitpicking.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited March 2017
    We already got some salt in this thread.

Some just can not accept it.
  • garygoesprogarygoespro Member CommonPosts: 1
    I was thinking about joining the game. If there are server problems and no balance of the classes; then, I will wait for those issues to be resolved.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    The graphics are the ONLY reason I don't play this game. It hurts my eyes and gives me a headache.

Joined - July 2004

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I'd rather they spend more effort improving the gameplay...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    FINALLY!!!

The one thing this game was missing was good graphics!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Graphic are really nice in BDO but sadly it is also broken on so many levels, such as poor ssao, AA are really odd, flickering shadows, odd lightning indoor and as well outdoor depends on the in game time.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So is this YEBIS thing like a commercial implementation of SweetFX?

Obviously someone in their development team thinks post processing is the coolest thing ever. It's not like the game didn't already stand out for having a whole shitpile of PP options. What's one more "super duper" one?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    With an announcement like this, for a game so relatively new, I'm left to wonder why?  Do they have some aversion to releasing Artists once the product is done?  I don't play BDO, but from the comments here it certainly appears there are management issues, specifically with prioritizing enhancements.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2017
    Maurgrim said:
    Graphic are really nice in BDO but sadly it is also broken on so many levels, such as poor ssao, AA are really odd, flickering shadows, odd lightning indoor and as well outdoor depends on the in game time.
    Yeah things like dissapearing/pink hair in certain lighting, weird stuff.

But like I said before, I like that they pushed the envelope with the graphics and it is the best part of the game.  I wish they would've worked on trying to get rid of pop-ins from textures over adding this shiny effect, though.  Overall that would have a much bigger impact on how the game looks and feels, assuming of course that it's even possible to deal with the pop-in with the amount of textures in the game.
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    The music in that video....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

DMKano said:

The graphics are great as they are - what really needs dev attention are gameplay issues such as:

Server performance

52-60 PvE leveling basiclaly being Sausans and Pirates eventhough there is 99.9999% of landmass that could be used to spread grind spots around

The cancerous gear upgrade process, at least have a way of locking down failstacks that alone would help a ton

Making classes other than Warrior, Sorc, Ranger and Zerk and Wiz/Witch viable in PvP

Perhaps looking at some cash shop pricing - $30 for a costume is more than the game iteslf - heck you can buy real clothes for that much money.

PvP needs actual meaning - node wars and castle sieges are a dud - look at the stats:

Total players who died in a siege - 7K NA and 7K in EU, I mean that speaks volumes of actual participation

etc...

But this is just VFX work- and IMO some examples look a lot better without the background blurring - so IMO this was a waste.

Except half the things you listed are not real issues or are a matter of preference.

1) yes they really should improve the other areas for the 52+ grind its all there just not as effecient or convenient as priates sausans.

2) Server performance, to a degree sure its seems fine for the most part every game could have that listed.

3)Upgrade process is fine anyone can make it to tri gear with little effort and well tet pen are the "end game" just a different way of the never ending gear treadmill of games like WoW.

4) Other classes are 100% viable and we see it over and over again in tourneyments etc... l2p PVP has many modalities each with its own set of prefered classes, duels segies etc... i would like them to tune down dmg its all just burst insta kill, but that is me.

5) love the player trade restrictions, all it is ever used for is abuse anyways. you dont need to trade to alt accounts friends, gold sellers etc...

6) eh its customes they are not needed and if they lowered those prices others would come up they need to make money.

7) sure meaning i guess does it ever have any lets be honest.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    The graphics are the ONLY reason I don't play this game. It hurts my eyes and gives me a headache.
    If you are talking about the colors you can change that in game. If the pop-ins give you headaches then is another thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    sure work on visuals instead of working on their complete broken karma system

idiots
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    I feel like they just made it worst.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    sure work on visuals instead of working on their complete broken karma system

idiots
    I strongly suspect they are different teams/departments.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Xiaoki said:
    DMKano said:

Server performance

etc...

You do realize that the people implementing graphical improvements like this wont be the same people that work on the servers, right?

And, well, the rest of your list is just personal nitpicking.
    Doh! They are still taking up space on the devleopers bankroll!  I am sure that money could be put in a much better place fixing some of these issues.  Rather difficult to call major issues, nitpicking.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I cant believe on all the things they could of fixed, like the worthless economy, everything being random, them literally giving away 20 30 mil just randomly, the gear, and everything else, they picked the only thing that didnt to be improved that much. The only legit complaint was the pop ins...... What a waste of hard drive space...... But i suppose not every one gets mad at no trading, random everything, gambling boxes everywhere, did i mention the fact that everything is random....... 
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I was thinking about joining the game. If there are server problems and no balance of the classes; then, I will wait for those issues to be resolved.
    Doubt they will ever be fixed, the people who play the game don't consider them balance issues. They consider it part of the game. 
    One day you all might find something to play but I hope you do not.  :p

DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    We already got some salt in this thread.

Some just can not accept it.

do you not realize the irony of your comment?

Do you realize this is not ArcheAge?

B) 
  • DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I'm surprised people STILL haven't realized there are multiple teams/departments at video game studios/companies. The graphics team can't do a damn thing about class balancing or cash shop prices.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Disantia said:
    I'm surprised people STILL haven't realized there are multiple teams/departments at video game studios/companies. The graphics team can't do a damn thing about class balancing or cash shop prices.
    The graphics team won't be the same team responsible for bug fixes, true enough. However, it costs money to employ the graphics team. Quite a bit I imagine. Money that could be better spent elsewhere. For instance they could get rid of the graphics team, and then go on to use that money to hire more people in debugging.

Just an observation. I don't play the game so I don't have a dog in this fight, at all.